Thread: A quick question about role-playing

Angry A quick question about role-playing

Can somebody tell me where exactly this role-playing is taking place? Because all i see are people getting missions, going to do them, and then going back.
    \/\/ /-\ |_ U 5
    (_) |\| |_ | |\/| | "|" 3 |)

Check out the bars and/or join a guild. You might also find some leads on one of the AO fansites, like www.ao-basher.com.
    Former Omni Prime Minister, The Hand of Chronos- aohoc.tripod.com

Roleplaying is your responsibility, don't look at others whom aren't. Make an example of yourself.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Unhappy

hehe i tried a little RPing last night....in Tir fair trade...with all the low levelers....
    and i asked if they knew a guy i was looking for.....and some answered yes and then i replied: Where can i find him?
    And they answered:" give him a /tell" ....bah...dont u get it....?
    There aint many role players out there and thats just sad.....
    The only thing people is thinking of is how uber their caracter must be when it comes to equipping and credits and stuff.....so sad.....
    And when u have someone who might seem to role play a little, then after 5 minutes they say: "Ah well enough role playing for today, now im off to do some missions...."

I seriously think there are to many who play this game and dont even have a clue what they are playing.....they just read posts about what weapon to use and what skills to raise, just to be a uber caracter....well an uber caracter should atleast roleplay 85% of his/hers playtime......and btw: how can u be uber in a game like AO, unless u dont roleplay?
    Think there are to many "kids" out there who never even heard about a role play before and therefor think that this is 1 big quake arena.......well enough said, or else i might step on someones feet....

I agree, there needs to be more role-playing in the general populace. It is, after all, a role playing game. I think that doing missions is a part of role-playing. You are, after all, going out and serving your faction by doing this job for them, for which they are greateful enough to compensate you for your time and effort. People who arent on missions need to roleplay a little more, though. I can sit around the Tir grid terminal all day and see maybe 3 emotes (/me) that arent mine. There's a lot of bowing to other characters, especially at the beginning and end of a trade, but it needs to go further than that. Quit referring to yourself out of character (like telling people what grade you're in in school, there are no schools on Rubi-Ka as far as I know). If you have more than one character, don't refer to them as "my 52 NT", say something like "My big brother, the NT". Pet classes have something that gives them a major edge, RP wise: /pet chat. I'm a crat, and so I have an Assistant droid named Peon. Peon loves to run around complimenting female characters (he's a particularly lonely little droid), and at times I have to tell him to cool it a little. The reactions I get from arguing with Peon are great, sometimes other characters jump in and take Peon's side of the arguement (I had most of Fair Trade involved in an argument Peon and I had about where we should go hunting next). The point is, role-playing is what this game is all about. It adds a lot to the game to see some random person having a full scale debate with their own pet. Plus (I dont care about this part), if an ARK or a GM sees you role-playing really well, they'll give you a prize for it. I have no clue what the prize is, I never bothered to check and haven't gotten one yet, but the fact is you can get something (presumably) kewl just for doing what you're there to do: roleplay.

[ use brackets when talking ooc in the game ]

On the forums, generally I'm 100% ooc. But in game, use brackets, it works well, in guild chat or otherwise.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

These are all good suggestions and stories. I typically use /ooc when talking out of character, but I really like the brackets idea, I think I'll do that from now on.

I have come up with ways to deal with non-RP talk, when you're trying to RP. ex: "Do you want MatCreation Mastery?" or "Send them a /tell." There are two ways I like to deal with this sort of thing.

1. (this is the most fun.) When they talk OOC treat them like they are talking like the town drunk. ex: "I'm token farming the missions, wanna help?" you say: "umm...no thanks...I think you've had a bit too much to drink. I can't make heads or tails of what you're saying."

2. You can just take what they are saying and register it as RP talk. ex: "I'm token farming, wanna help?" you say: "I've been awarded five tokens from the council, I suppose I need more merits, but I'm busy packing for my upcoming trip."

Usually people will catch on after a few min, if they don't then don't be discouaged by the non-RPer's, continue about what you're doing.

Use the area & events around you to your RP advatage. LIke last night outside TIr West Gate, a man tryed to shoot the guard and was killed, his body lay right outside the gate. Some people came by and looked at the body confused by the whole thing. I had been watching from afar the whole time, so I used this as a beginning of a great RP experience. I shouted:

"I saw the whole thing."
    "Dead man shoots guard, guard kills dead man."
    "It happens a lot in this area."
    "New recruits, sometimes they can't keep their heads on their shoulders."

This ended up in a full RP discussion about the event. It was a very...Refreshing experience.

Keep up the RP, it makes our Rubi-Ka great!
    Sepentura

"The future is in your hands."

Former Leader - Sea of Change