Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - April 17th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SoldiTwo View Post
    Then, why do you think a port of a game to a new platform takes less time than to develope the game in the first place?
    "Porting" means using an already existing infrastructure...

It has been stated all the time that implementing the engine on the AO code is a not a walk in the park to say the least. Especially since you are talking about almost brand new graphic engine and the mess the +7 years old AO code is...

Try thinking along the lines of fitting a 2005 BMW engine on a 1960 Volga chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    its Common Knowldege that FC isnt porting AO to a new platform.
    Yeah.

I want my native Linux client.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    OMG YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!! They must have canceled the engine! Quick everyone complain about it not being out, that will make it come faster!
    I did not say that, I wrote that funcom hat not always had coder work fulltime on the new engine, nothing more, nothing less.

its Common Knowldege that FC isnt porting AO to a new platform.
    who said that? It's just an an analogy I used and btw in a sense they do port the game, just not to a new platform but to a new gfx engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Yeah.

I want my native Linux client.
    Just use wine, noob!!

Or maybe YOU need to use whine.

I did not say that, I wrote that funcom hat not always had coder work fulltime on the new engine, nothing more, nothing less.
    I'll wait for this to be written in English before I comment it.

who said that? It's just an an analogy I used and btw in a sense they do port the game, just not to a new platform but to a new gfx engine.
    that's like saying your computer is being ported to a new graphics card.
    Last edited by Sephiroth56; Apr 17th, 2009 at 19:33:11.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by javafan View Post
    "Porting" means using an already existing infrastructure...

It has been stated all the time that implementing the engine on the AO code is a not a walk in the park to say the least. Especially since you are talking about almost brand new graphic engine and the mess the +7 years old AO code is...

Try thinking along the lines of fitting a 2005 BMW engine on a 1960 Volga chassis.
    "In computer science, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (e.g. different CPU, operating system, or third party library). "

straight from wikipedia. ^^
    I guess ogre qualifies as a third party library.

Turns out computing environment != the thing you MAKE the executable from.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Yes. Nerf the Fixer toolset so you can zerg slaughter people with little difficulty instead of people using a tactic that ruins -your- fun.

After that happens, be sure to complain that no PvP ever occurs too.
    I said team evac, not the self one. It's not ruining my fun, it's preventing any fun from both sides - I don't think you or anyone else for that matter thinks of smaking a static tower down as "fun" - we all want PvP.
    I am well aware of the attendance numbers on both sides (on rk1) but there must be another way... anything...
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

{Quote Removed by Venachar: Original post removed.}
    I'm not a native english speaker. And if you need me to ask you to be literate.. well, have fun, I suppose.

LOL, a third party lib is another computing environment. And btw, the "thing" you make the executeable from is the sourcecode etc.
    so by your calculations, the third party lib is the sourcecode which is the programming environment.

EDIT: computing evironment OLOLOL
    Last edited by Venachar; Apr 19th, 2009 at 14:24:16.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Polished Marketing Comb

Attempts to remove the aggro from the user. After years of testing against Forum Trolls it has proven to be generally ineffective.

[NODROP][SPECIAL]

Requirements
    To Use
    User Psychology 40
    User GM Level 1

Effects:
    On Use
    Target Taunt -2
    User Lock Computer Literacy 4850000 seconds

So like.... Neutrals? What and when?

I'd love to hear a little update on when you plan on enacting the "Neutral balance" talks that you told us about previously.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post
    I said team evac, not the self one. It's not ruining my fun, it's preventing any fun from both sides - I don't think you or anyone else for that matter thinks of smaking a static tower down as "fun" - we all want PvP.
    I am well aware of the attendance numbers on both sides (on rk1) but there must be another way... anything...
    Sounds like teh meep squads are doing what they're supposed to be doing, which is annoying you. It's a valid tactic, even if you don't like it.
    Kain97 - 220 Fixer, President, Pantheon
    Maskirovka - 220 Shade
    Dominum - 220 Bureaucrat
    Severit - 220 Enforcer
    Sayet - 220 Doctor

facts on this. where?

you did not imply, infer, or even hint at your comment being just an analogy. besides the Common Knowledge that intergrating an existing graphics engine into an existing game that has been using its own existing graphics engine, is nothing like porting a game to different platforms.

"straight from wikipedia. ^^
    I guess ogre qualifies as a third party library.
    its also more Common Knowlege that Wiki does not Fact create.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Even you should know that not all members of this board are native english speakers.
    If you don't understand something, just ask or stfu.
    Funcom hat not always hat coder in coder box have more make the coder hat for box engine so two year hat permanent more box hats from wiki.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

facts on this. where?
    Enno stated that he pitched the new gfx engine project to the decision makers at funcom and that the project was begun by him and that after a short starting period Osman took over the project. You could read in the news that Osman worked at AoC before he got laid off by funcom.

So imho that hints to a period of time were no fulltime programmer worked at the new gfx engine project.

you did not imply, infer, or even hint at your comment being just an analogy. besides the Common Knowledge that intergrating an existing graphics engine into an existing game that has been using its own existing graphics engine, is nothing like porting a game to different platforms.
    What do you think is more difficult, interfacing with a new graphics engine or interfacing with a whole new platform?

At least Hacre is funny, you tried and failed. good luck next time
    Whoever said I tried being funny? I was just pointing out that a graphics engine is not a computing environment.

What do you think is more difficult, interfacing with a new graphics engine or interfacing with a whole new platform?
    How is that relevant?
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post

Remember to vote, or ask questions on Google moderator questions for the next few sessions.

http://moderator.appspot.com/#15/e=16202&t=34126
    I might have missed Means/any other FC employee say anything about it, but... anyone ever said Means is even looking at that thing ?
    I mean as far as I recall Means is answering the questions collected directly from these forums (FwM threads/patch/whatever) and not from some outside of FCs control polling site that makes you register... (and yes I do have a google account already)
    Well, the questions that were answered during the last two question and answer sessions of Friday with Means (the one for February and the one for March) ALL --or at least the overwhelming majority-- came from questions posted and voted on in that Google Moderator forum. The answered questions were the top vote getters for each month.

So, while no one has OFFICIALLY made that the place to ask questions of Means for the Q&A session, it has become the de facto place to post questions and have them voted on for priority.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

And you can quantify this how?

Ventrilo has had a "Linux client coming soon" notice on their home page now for the better part of four years. Given how easy it is to write apps -for- Linux, this renders your entire argument null and void.

All pieces of software are different. You have absolutely no clue what is involved in moving AO to a new graphics engine. If you did, you'd have more substantive posts beyond quoting crap from Wikifailure.

You have no more authority to tell FC that "two years is too long for an engine lololol" than I have to tell BMW that they should have mass production vehicles that can run on water by now. Knowing that you -can- separate hydrogen from water doesn't make it easy, or quick, just like knowing you -can- move a game to a new graphics engine doesn't mean you know it should be done by now.

Do yourself a favour. Shut up.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Didnt take full 3 pages to fill the thread with petty arguments

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinne View Post
    Didnt take full 3 pages to fill the thread with petty arguments
    But HE started it!
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

But HE started it!
    /spank both of you

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast