Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - April 17th, 2009

Funcom employee Friday with Means - April 17th, 2009

A busy week while we get another update ready for the TestLive dimension with some fixes, and changes that I hope will put some smiles on collective faces.

Coming to TestLive:

Bosses inside "Elder Hall" should now be Boss-Calmable again.

This should also fix the issue with Vortexx, the Technomaster and Ground Chief Mikkelsen. I heard of the "calming" exploit just before the final build sent to live last week...and the fastest/lowest risk fix was implemented (adding resists)as to not hold back other important updates (ie: nasty credit expoits.). This was not the "right" fix...merely the fastest with the intention that we would get a better fix in the near future. My reaction to the calms being called "broken" was perhaps not politic...to be frank finding out that the calms were being abused this way to remove all challenge from the instance pissed me off...and I posted without running a polished marketing comb through my comments. If you would like to call it unprofessional...that would be accurate. Nevertheless it was how I felt at the moment. Returning to less frequent strictly proffessional marketing style posts isn't going to make anyone happy. We have worked this week to address the problem in a more appropriate if time consuming way (actions speaking louder than words).

I do not feel that the ability to calm ANY boss is a central part of the Crat toolset. The nanoline is not called "Boss Calms"...that is what someone else called it. I respect the idea of a "panic" button...but that is not how it is being used. The ability to drag parts of an encounter off in a corner to invalidate their presence was never the intention of this nano...I am pretty certain those who used it this way know that too. The fact that it could be done in another way by exploiting instance team mechanics was not any validation for this action...neither was posting it on the open forum going to win you any points. Should I feel like making a boss that can not be "paused" at any time... I will. I never wanted this nano in as I feel it makes a joke of pvm. Period. That being said no adjustments are going to be made at this time and currently every boss in the game should still be able to be victimized by this ridiculous nano. Some of you might not agree with my opinion of this nano...I can live with that.

ps. Don't plan on standing on the door inside the instance to exploit pathing either. Oops. Sorry about that.

NCU Wipe

The spawn of the Deranged Xan should no longer trigger an NCU wipe. NCU wipes inside any instance should also no longer remove "reward buffs" of any kind..like Hollow island or DB instance buffs.

The Ending

One thread (you know who you are) mentioned that it was a disappointment when the Deranged Xan died and nothing happened. I agree. Good feedback. No closure there. We had a chance this week to add an additional (albeit brief) ending and reward for those who complete the Elder Hall instance.

Dust Brigade Instances

You will no longer have to complete a quest line to access "Inside the Machine". Those who have already completed this quest and have received their "Dust Brigade Security Codes" will now find that this item will now transport them to the DB instance from anywhere on RK and transport them BACK to a city of their side once outside the instance. This is a long difficult quest and a significant reward is appropriate now that access to the instance is no longer the goal.

This should be the final update in the 18.0 series (assuming nothing goes to hell). Now we can hope to concentrate on getting 18.1 with instanced Pandemonium, instanced cities, a new space club and apartments out in the near future.

Have a great weekend!

Colin "Means" Cragg
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

1st

Pretty good changes, teleport to DB ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    One thread (you know who you are) mentioned that it was a disappointment when the Deranged Xan died and nothing happened. I agree. Good feedback. No closure there. We had a chance this week to add an additional (albeit brief) ending and reward for those who complete the Elder Hall instance.
    And what about ppl who already completed quest?
    Last edited by boombox; Apr 17th, 2009 at 17:23:53.

ignoring Risan again... big surprise, guess it's not a real issue
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Seems good, instanced pande is great but all this talk about clubs and apartments (not much talk really but it seem to be a focus) why shouldnt most efforts be going to the new engine?

It saddens me to see how long this is taking, and I know it should take awhile, but I have seen the preview vid from over a year ago. I have about 5 friends who want to come back to AO but are waiting on the engine, couldnt new clubs and other "social" addons be included at a later time?

Thanks for all the work means, and dont worry about making everything perfectly Publicly Safe, thats what makes AO stand out, its brutal honesty.

Good fixes!

And bump for the new engine. I know a number of folks who won't even try AO until engine upgrade has been released. An update would be nice!
    Last edited by K0rrupt0r; Apr 17th, 2009 at 17:31:39.

This friday's Friday with Means is approved by Sephiroth56™
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Thank you
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    ignoring Risan again... big surprise, guess it's not a real issue
    Yes, because not talking out of context with the rest of the post would naturally mean that it's not an issue he's addressing.

He didn't talk about how players can exploit pet pathing on the battle station to not get it, OBVIOUSLY means thinks this is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

....so, we slice bread now? who are you, the pope?

Quote Originally Posted by Spankstick View Post
    It saddens me to see how long this is taking, and I know it should take awhile, but I have seen the preview vid from over a year ago. I have about 5 friends who want to come back to AO but are waiting on the engine, couldnt new clubs and other "social" addons be included at a later time?
    It has been gone over thousands of times before, Adding new content will NOT delay the engine in any way shape or form. The engine is completely separate from game content design.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

No screens/vids again? bummer

I can clearly see it now. I'm already playing D3 or Star Trek Online and there will still be no new gfx engine for ao available.

Work on the engine begun at least the last quarter 2007, now soon nearing 2 years - that is way too long imho.

PS:
    I will make a trox or a solitus race once STO is playable(beta, whatever).

@Spankstick:
    "Social" addons, as you call them, take nothing away from the guys making the new engine. It's all apples and oranges really. Graphics coders make the engine, artists make the club&appartments.
    Tools: AOCrafter | AOcrayon | GUISelect | WebCrafter

- Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

Rofl! Yes the door thing is quite annoying, especially seeing how its used by almost every team and if i don't want to sploit it then suddenly IM the as*hole! >.<

But yeah wtb a new screeny or preferably a vid of the new engine! Come on is been like over 6months! >.<
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Not first!!!
    Almadena

Ahh alright thanks for the info, I guess any talk about the engine will help. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spankstick View Post
    Ahh alright thanks for the info, I guess any talk about the engine will help. :P
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=550121
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=549648

<@Kintaii> L2P

Woot!
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Yes, because not talking out of context with the rest of the post would naturally mean that it's not an issue he's addressing.

He didn't talk about how players can exploit pet pathing on the battle station to not get it, OBVIOUSLY means thinks this is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
    Yea, and he also mentioned that "I will try to get through some more of your concerns during the week. I'm sorry if I didn't get to yours." Which was obviously code for, 'I won't be addressing those concerns this week at all, nor the next week, nor the week after that, sucks to be you'.

After 2 major threads on the issue (not started by me), PM's, and having brought it up for the Q&A session with no response, it is clearly being intentionaly ignored and swept under the carpet as if the nano was actually meant to be in its current nanoline from the start - which is obviously bogus if you know anything about the issue.

And wtf does the rest of the post have to do with anything? I don't recall there being some mandatory required format involved with what scope of issues belong in Friday w/Means - 'context' has no bearing on these weekly posts - it's been a blog style format from the start, where Means just conveys some of what's been going on during the week, what's going on in his life, and how pissed off he is about certain things.

I've got just as much right to post on this issue as the obligatory people who ask 'how's the engine coming along?' every friggin week.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast