Page 1 of 20 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 13th, 2009

Friday with Means - March 13th, 2009

Friday the 13th...Oh noes!

It was an unusual Friday in that there were no disasters today. Normally I can count on some kind of explosion at about 3pm every Friday...but silence...only the tapping keys of artists and devs weaving magical notum dreams for the future.

Soon:

I'm glad we didn't put out the perk reset npc last week as it would have broken all your characters. It is now working correctly and should be getting it on TestLive early next week together with the 12 man instance for testing...along with another raft small changes like:

New "team" specific chat channels for the Battlestations.
    Battlestations working correctly again without CS help.
    New PVP fears working again.
    Orbital Strikes only hitting ONCE inside a period of time...no more stacking.
    Various small adjustments to the booster ie: more convenience adjustments to the alien snare towers.
    Some more new exploit fixes.

The Engine:

I haven't spoken about the engine for awhile...as it is difficult to make code optimization interesting...I only listen in those meeting because I have to. The coders are working hard at optimizing the new engine..as currently it is an "all features on full" affair that provides all features...but poor framerate. Optimizations that were missing from "old" AO are being looked into..like mesh instancing (load that tree once with a single call...and populate it out at no real framerate loss) was one aspect of the coder work this week. They were very excited to have 500 Turbine mesh's on the screen at once without significant issues. I'm going to assume this is a good thing...I sometimes don't always get those "coder moments". At any rate, an effect system is now working and we can begin to start producing some new effects, everything is being rendered...now optimization and the grunt work of producing a great number of effects can begin. Both these are going to take time...but we'll keep at it.

There will of course be some graphical updates with the new engine...the full extent of which isn't fully decided. New trees to freshen up the outdoor environments are definitely coming. Character bodies are going to be "smoothed" and better optimized for animation to lose some of the nasty poly issues. One test in progress at the moment is new character heads...AO has a huge number of these...so we are currently working on a "work in progress" opifex female head as a test case for possible production of new heads. I imagine it is unlikely we will simply replace all the heads in game as all of us have some attatchment to these...but more likely offer a choice to move to a "new" head if we want...and remove the old ones from character creation so all new characters will get new heads. Like I said...this is in the early phases...and not final yet...but exciting so I wanted to share an image with you for this week.

Have a great weekend!

Colin "Means" Cragg
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First?
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bump for blunt perklines fix.

what wrong thread ?

Blunt, what where?!
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

First?

Nvm, i guess i read like an old man, too slowly
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Holy crap...if you guys keep finding things to add and change in the engine update we will never get to see it. I don't know the first thing about coding, but couldn't you just get the main stuff done and add fluff like trees and heads and stuff later? I'm ready for AO to stop running like crap on my machine.

Please!

The opifexs have subtle pointy ears (we see them clearly on your pic). It should be conserved for character, such things are really important.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

o.0 New heads. So old timers get Legacy heads hmm? eer that is anyone who played before the engine upgrade :P

Good to see that OS will be adjusted a bit.
    Too bad that the current heads are covered by helmets 99% of the time.
    So only the lower levels will enjoy the new heads that look much better.
    Maybe it's an idea to make the heads visible when not in combat?

Thanks for the engine update, always fun to hear about that!
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by Harios View Post
    Good to see that OS will be adjusted a bit.
    Too bad that the current heads are covered by helmets 99% of the time.
    So only the lower levels will enjoy the new heads that look much better.
    Maybe it's an idea to make the heads visible when not in combat?

Thanks for the engine update, always fun to hear about that!
    It's already an option, check/uncheck Helmet Visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    New "team" specific chat channels for the Battlestations.
    Great! Really nice addition :-)
    I hope neutrals can only join the chanel of the side they are currently fighting with, so that I can be in the chanel without being accused of "spying" by sided peoples.

While you are working on the battlestation, could you please start to think about providing alternative maps for the BS? I have the feeling it would please a lot of players.
    Thymoglobule - lvl 220 neutral solitus trader on Rimor
    Anarchist of La Troupe

OMG HAWT!!!

that does look 200% better

social tab ftw!!
    Last edited by styles999; Mar 13th, 2009 at 17:22:32.
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

Harios, do F10 - Visual - Misc - uncheck helmet visible ; )
    Nijushio - 220/30 - semi-retired MA
    Nijutech - 220/29 - funny Engi
    Sabrezor - 170/24 - bored Advy
    Sabrezap - 150/20 - confused fixi

I'm liking what I'm seeing in that picture. It looks good and it's showing lots of work on that head. I can see you guys at FC are taking this seriously and working damn hard, keep it up.

For next week, what's the chance of you getting some sort of formalized setup for getting suggestions in for the prof rebalancing act bit? MP forum looks like a cross between a mass zerg attempt and some sort of evil rugby scrum with knives and pointy shoulderpads of doom. Some sort of order is probably in order (pun intended).

IBTK

The old opifex head was hotter
    Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    There will of course be some graphical updates with the new engine...the full extent of which isn't fully decided. New trees to freshen up the outdoor environments are definitely coming. Character bodies are going to be "smoothed" and better optimized for animation to lose some of the nasty poly issues. One test in progress at the moment is new character heads...AO has a huge number of these...so we are currently working on a "work in progress" opifex female head as a test case for possible production of new heads. I imagine it is unlikely we will simply replace all the heads in game as all of us have some attatchment to these...but more likely offer a choice to move to a "new" head if we want...and remove the old ones from character creation so all new characters will get new heads. Like I said...this is in the early phases...and not final yet...but exciting so I wanted to share an image with you for this week.

Have a great weekend!

Colin "Means" Cragg
    Nice.

Any thoughts about making better idle animations of characters, enhanced emote body movements (gief something similar to Tabula Rasa ones plx), etc, or they gonna stay the same?
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Wow, the new head looks great. It's great to see AO get modernized. I just have a few questions:

1. With the new special affect system does this mean the perks will finally have unique animations or special affects apply to them? At this time the "button press" animation on 95% of the perks out there are pretty lame.

2. Will you take advantage of recent graphical advances like dual/quad core support?

3. Will we be able to customize the graphics with sliders/options to lower end computers? Anti-aliasing?

4. Will you fix the weird ass swinging animation? Playing 4 years and I never got use to the weird (but somewhat majestic) way it swings form side to side in the opposite way the body is moving, its just so weird looking.

Wow, what you guys have done to that poor opifex , lol. Old one was a hottie, this new one looks like some 500 year old cave gnome. And there is something coming out of her nose!

Just my opinion though.

Has she got hair growing out her nose? Damn, this will go down well with the rp'ers...
    220/30 Ranged Advy, Neut 'n proud of it. Moxet
    220/25 NT Moxilla
    220/29 Moxdacrat
    150/14 Doc
    200/18 MP
    various other bits n bobs

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast