Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 27th, 2009

Funcom employee Friday with Means - March 27th, 2009

We are currently trying to get a "big build" done to get a new version out on Test Live for the weekend. It is looking like it won't be there tonight...but we are hoping for some time this weekend. Part of our delay this week was related to a new issue with monsters suddenly gaining out-of-combat regen while fighting in the latest version. Thanks to all who helped us by reporting this issue and helping us develop a good test case for it on the test dimension. It turned out that stunned monsters would lose their target and drop out of combat while switching aggro between targets. This was an obscure result of changes to game systems to terminate combat when feared. The fix of this issue (Thank you Macrosun and Metaing) involved some tricky new code logic and implementation of a new "Stunned" state in game in 207 in game items and nanos. As you might imagine this took awhile...now we just need to get all these items correctly into a new build and our little problem with regening monsters should be a thing of the past. In the meantime not running stuns will reduce this problem until we can get a fix out next week WITH the new 12-(wo)man instance...finally...and with it the new profession specific Hold Hell at Bay ring upgrades loot for the instance.

Questions:

"Is there any chance of modifying the names of items like Arul Saba Bracers or the upgraded Reanimator cloaks to make their specific type clearer? (ex. "Fire - Arul Saba Bracer - 5/5 - Right" and "Cloak of the Reanimated Jester - 5/5")"

Yes. There is potential to change the names of items that share names but not stats. PM me a list of the most annoying ones...and they will get done when we get a chance.

"In a survey a ways back there was a question about if we'd like to see an account wide bank added. Is something like that or a mailing system where we can send items and creds to others being considered?"

We don't have any immediate plans for implementing an in-game mail system or account wide banks. From a technical standpoint these two systems can introduce a whole new set of issues and would represent months of work. The coders are already very busy with new features and the new engine. The mail system I am not a huge fan of personally...as I like that people congregate together to exchange items/credits...it is social and nice to actually see each other now and then. I have played other games with these systems in place and never really liked that I could not see members of my org for weeks at a time..yet exchange items etc with them all the time. Travel in AO is really quick and easy...so a quick visit with your friends never felt like a "bad" thing for me.

"When will we get timer on missing skill like specials attacks?"

18.1 will bring timers on any skill-lock items (including Shadowbreeds) but not yet for actions like Full Auto. So...not yet...but maybe soon.

"I believe I read in some Friday with Means you mentioned more pvp areas like the battlestation, any clue when we might see these and can one of them be a revamped will to fight?"

In the near future we will be working on new PVP encounter areas that will provide other areas to gain VP. I honestly can't commit to when they will be done as they are in the early concept phase now but they are in the works. Will To Fight will likely not be revamped as it is horribly ugly and outdated...but the concept of an open pvp area with sided respawn areas is a good one and will likely be implemented in the near future.

"In a previous week you mentioned maybe revamping outdoor hunting to make other ways to gain xp viable. Any further thoughts or progress on that?"

Not sure I remember how I mentioned this...but I would like to see as many possible different ways to gain XP as possible. Currently grinding XP can be repetitive...adding more options like "Daily Quests" for significant rewards and increasing quest xp-rewards for current questlines are in the works. The content produced for LOX is the model I would like to continue with....soloable content with significant rewards...and larger challenging encounters for items. Leveling shouldn't feel like a grind...even though sometimes at a fundamental level in all games it is. We will be trying to make it a good leveling option to pursue quests and outdoor hunting...both in Rubi-Ka and SL. Again SK quests on Rubi-Ka, Daily quests to vary the leveling experience, and increased rewards for non-repeatable quests to make the reward worth the time spent not running inferno missions or grinding hecklers.

"Back when the log-in window was changed to requiring us to enter our password each time Sil said something they'd like to do is allow us to change chars without logging completely out. Is anything like that being looked at?"

Not that I know about...but Macrosun has SECRETS!

"global research: questions has been here before. Do you still plan to bring new ones or are you not really a fan of those , e.g. it's leftover from before your time as boss"

I was never a fan of the global systems. I didn't like the idea of producing huge amounts of content that..when the research was complete...would never be seen again. The mechs are a great example of this...hundreds of hours of work producing and texturing models that a new player will never see. I don't feel this is a good use of resources...I also don't feel like people feel they are getting value by contributing their XP to the common good. I would much more prefer to implement more personal research to allow for individual improvement...perhaps one like the ability to build new building (just an example) for your new city....the player who researches the line can create a building that can be enjoyed by his entire guild.

"What is the role of VP moving forward? Could more quests or the new booster instances give us a way to earn VP other than through battlestation? Or is VP still seen as the reward to the PvPers, that the rest of us just have to live with."

I would like to implement more varied ways of gaining VP...much the same as gaining XP. The fastest way will still likely be PVP related...but the options are going to be more varied. Again, Daily quests for VP are a possibility as are PVM encounters in areas that would expose you to PVP should there be any "hostile" players in the area. There is potential for improvement in this area and we will be looking into it

"Will anything be changed in the GUI for the graphics update?"

If history has shown us anything it is that you guys like your GUI the way that it is. As few changes as possible are being made to these systems and we will be letting you know what they are so the custom GUI enthusiasts can make their changes accordingly.

"With the new special affect system does this mean the perks will finally have unique animations or special affects apply to them? At this time the "button press" animation on 95% of the perks out there are pretty lame."

The new graphics system has nothing to do with the perks or their animations...that being said it is possible now to change the animations for these perks...it just has never been done. We will be looking into profession balancing in the near future and it is likely that a great number of these perks will be changed then...at which time appropriate animations will be added. The "poking and waving" shade has always been a huge source of personal annoyance for me...Nobody here wants to let it go...we'll get to it. That being said I doubt more effects will be added to individual perks as AO is a bit of a "Lightshow" already.

"Why do procs have nano recharge?"

They shouldn't. Let us know which ones.

"How is the Profession Balancing Act coming along? Any eta?"

Early plans and proposals are being drawn up. But there is no immediate ETA. Any large scale changes are going to be discussed in the forums here before implementation...no "suprise! Huge changes!" Issues like Aimed Shot are going to finally be addressed.

"When are are you going to let meta get stuck in to new main pets for all 3 pet clsses? We have had the same pets now since the launch of SL and to a pet class, pets are the same as a weapon."

Soon.

"How is Instanced Pande coming along?"

This will be coming soon after the release of the 12-Man instance and likely before 18.1.

"Is there a possibility of significant changes to the Xan weapons in the next patch or two or are they basically frozen?"

Nothing is ever frozen. We'll be watching the performance of these items and making adjustments if necessary.

There were a great deal more questions than I have time to get to today...I will try to get through some more of your concerns during the week. I'm sorry if I didn't get to yours.

An 18.1 Preview from Macrosun (All Hail!):

18.1 code features sneak peak/preview:

Here's a short preview of code-related changes in 18.1:
    • Instanced cities. You can only have one city at a time (meaning you can't have both a non-instanced and instanced one), and shops will not be allowed in the instanced ones.
    • Option to hide nanos in programs window. You can add back hidden nanos using the 'show hidden' option is in the 'i' menu.
    • Map navigation will be resettable.
    • Target NCU window. See hostile nanos running on your target (with restrictions on which ones you can see).
    • Split the default new player chat window into default (system/vicinity etc) & combat tabs.
    • Right click names in chat to get a menu with the option to ignore them.
    • Mouse targetting improvements. It will now be easier to target small/fast moving things/players.
    • Hotbar timers on skill-locked items (including shadowbreed). Timers also work in the programs and controls windows.
    • Added /duel draw. Currently neither of the participants get a loss for using draw.
    • Added battlestation chat channel(s).
    • support for custom guis outside the 'Guis\Default' directory (we still don't give any customer support on third party GUIs though).
    • Improved various tools to help GMs handle chat spammers.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

ibtk
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Not sure I remember how I mentioned this...but I would like to see as many possible different ways to gain XP as possible. Currently grinding XP can be repetitive...adding more options like "Daily Quests" for significant rewards and increasing quest xp-rewards for current questlines are in the works. The content produced for LOX is the model I would like to continue with....soloable content with significant rewards...and larger challenging encounters for items. Leveling shouldn't feel like a grind...even though sometimes at a fundamental level in all games it is. We will be trying to make it a good leveling option to pursue quests and outdoor hunting...both in Rubi-Ka and SL. Again SK quests on Rubi-Ka, Daily quests to vary the leveling experience, and increased rewards for non-repeatable quests to make the reward worth the time spent not running inferno missions or grinding hecklers.
    IT would be very interesting if we could pull missions on RK that would give us exp from small Hp mob like the AI mob in Xan AI area, the penalty for these missions should be their lack of tokens rewarded. It would also be nice if you guys could look in balancing the current Schole/Ado/Pen missions so that there aren't 160s running to Inf.

I was never a fan of the global systems. I didn't like the idea of producing huge amounts of content that..when the research was complete...would never be seen again. The mechs are a great example of this...hundreds of hours of work producing and texturing models that a new player will never see. I don't feel this is a good use of resources...I also don't feel like people feel they are getting value by contributing their XP to the common good. I would much more prefer to implement more personal research to allow for individual improvement...perhaps one like the ability to build new building (just an example) for your new city....the player who researches the line can create a building that can be enjoyed by his entire guild.
    You should look into making the Global research system have a "degrate over time" value. That way sides would have to keep their global up to stay competitive with the mechs and huds. While you are at that look into the Caps being applied to research, its very annoying when your exp gained breaks what you can add to research.
    Last edited by Technogen; Mar 27th, 2009 at 18:29:23.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Great news on the Aruls and the VP gain changes!
    Last edited by K0rrupt0r; Mar 27th, 2009 at 18:04:34.

ibtk

Edit: HH@B sounds interesting.
    Last edited by Enfizzle; Mar 27th, 2009 at 18:16:18.
    Enfizzle 220/30/70 Enforcer e
    Zdocta 220/30/70 Doctor e
    Nukizzle 220/26/70 NT e
    Engiz 220/30/64 Engineer e

Funcom employee

ibtm....

o, wait.

good stuff, but WTB your thoughts on the future of neuts...

[*] Map navigation will be resettable.
    Any chance we could get a temporary NPC [maybe for like 3 weeks] that will reset Map Nav for us, so we don't have to dequip all our ****?

I only ask because for those who have used their full IPReset already, they sort of missed out :x
    Last edited by Threezey; Mar 27th, 2009 at 18:30:48.
    Threeze - 220/24/69 Neutral Fixer [Old New E], [Old Old E]
    Threezeley -220/17 Neutral Meta-Physicist
    Maytricks -218/18 Neutral Doctor
    Beautystrike -150/00 Neutral Nano-Technician
    Bloodred -150/05 Clan Agent
    Optimize -147/05 Omni Bureaucrat
    Maytri -120/02 Neutral Engineer
    Oneze -74/07 Neutral Fixer

Very nice stuff to read again, thanks!

I'm feeling a bit faint, I think I need to lie down.
    Aleah, MA :: Zhoie, Doctor :: Scarlett, Soldier
    Neutral, (former) President of Art of War

Dipping my toe back in, thinking of returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    For the record, this is an exploit I am totally cool with people using. :P

"Improved various tools to help GMs handle chat spammers."

How about a new command for players such as /reportspam text

This to keep people from hitting their limits on the number of /petitions they can send in a period of time. It takes me only 3-4 days max to hit that 15 petition limit on a char just reporting spammers.

Or, have the upcoming right-click-on-char-name-for-a-menu to include a 'spam' option that sends an automated report, including recent text by the accused char.
    I am Dagget

As few changes as possible are being made to these systems and we will be letting you know what they are so the custom GUI enthusiasts can make their changes accordingly.
    Thank you ^.^
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

the new profession specific Hold Hell at Bay ring upgrades

Please set them a require to level 220 with a faction in guardian 50000

"We don't have any immediate plans for implementing an in-game mail system..."

Agreed on people meeting face-to-face but how about implementing a subset of that that only relates to AI market shop sales? People don't go meet each other as it is when buying stuff from GMS terminals, so no 'social' aspects lost there. As well, travelling to distant cities to pick up an item is -not- quick and easy for smaller chars, and is still time consuming for high level chars. Such a system would also then perhaps open the way for the 'instanced' cities to utilize market shops.
    I am Dagget

thanks for blunt perklines love !

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsama View Post
    good stuff, but WTB your thoughts on the future of neuts...
    Bump Means, we're pretty disappointed that you hadn't a single word for us :/

PS: "Issues like Aimed Shot are going to finally be addressed."

0o awesome.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Quote Originally Posted by Means
    God bless you for this proof of Good Sense! In a permanent, everlasting, universe, the less content with an end, the better. (Even if of course, some stories must have an end.) I can guarantee that most people didn't even notice the models you mention.

The idea of increasing the value of a character through research but with something else than just another proc/absorb/skill buff/root/etc is great.

Some characters could be able to build specific things (like buildings) for the good of all or of their organization: imagine an org that gets the ability to equip its newbies with new (useful) ground vehicles so they can travel better (for example high-protection vehicles), without interfering with Phasefront points stuff.

Some of those new items/features could be on long timers (weeks or months), so you always need a character with the appropriate research to re-create them. One character in an org won't be enough.

Definitely the way to go for research IMHO. Good luck!
    Chrisax
    MP 220, AL 30, Research 70, active, Born on Rimor
    In AO since 2001
    Founder and elected President of Athen Paladins
    www.athenpaladins.org
    Member of the Clerical Staff of the Council of Truth

"global research: questions has been here before. Do you still plan to bring new ones or are you not really a fan of those , e.g. it's leftover from before your time as boss"

How about Temporary Research? OR the degrading research techno suggested? One idea is make side xp a researchable thing up to maybe 20% that keeps degrading over time.

Another questing, I cant reactivate my account, prepaid visa's don't work and I don't have access to a atm card or credti card. Is there any possibility of adding more options to pay for a subscription with?

Please can HH@B also have option to add inf and ely rings to it? I would love that option.

Also any ETA for 18.1 if 12-man and new symbs and perk-reset guy comes before resetable map. navi. we(once who want to reset it) have to wait or do new symbs twice (including 300ql eoe for me...)
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Threezey View Post
    Any chance we could get a temporary NPC [maybe for like 3 weeks] that will reset Map Nav for us, so we don't have to dequip all our ****?

I only ask because for those who have used their full IPReset already, they sort of missed out :x
    I like this idea, no idea how feasible but a good idea nonetheless. Since I think we can take for granted every expansion player will reset map navi if they ever pumped it
    "Sadly, the patch "stop others [from] being idiots" has been delayed."
    -Gurudee

"I think so, but every time they get a duel invitation popup it plays "Wanna Fanta" a few times over... "
    -Kotts (regarding Froobs+Dueling)

"The fail is strong in this one."
    -Pafpuf

Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast