Thread: [OOC] Rubi-Ka Timeline Project

Exclamation [OOC] Rubi-Ka Timeline Project

Quote Originally Posted by Ukblizzard
    What is this timeline project?

The idea is to have an updated player driven Timeline.

The main base of things will be an overview of the AO Timeline, added to which will be ARK Events, added to that will be anything of significance that the community want to contribute.

This will include quest driven information, item information with histories on it, "first" occurances of things ingame, when new areas / things "open" etc etc.

Khuri has been working on coding this for a while, we also had a go at making some graphics for it.

Those working on the project as a whole are those who were already involved in "Project Omega" and the AOU team.

As to what our hopes are for the project, well we will hopefully be able to hash those out over time along with some visions that we arent sure if they will work... but we will have a go anyway! We need to all discuss a way forward -- and depending on what exactly we are all hoping for, the aim is to work productively, onwards and upwards!!
    The PoRT project is active with it's own Timeline forum which is now open to the public. We welcome any kind of contribution, be it in-game information, ideas, suggestions and/or comments to help the project succeed.

The Rimor RP community is welcome to participate in the project. This will be a two way street, for the project itself will be a benefit to the whole AO community.

For example, entire organization histories can be submitted by organizations and fed into the finished project making it a complete community project, which can only be successful and true should everyone participate.

The community as a whole can contribute their past, their present and their futures into making Rubikan History in a permanent way into the Rubi-Ka Timeline.

Anarchy Online is a very special universe, with a unique history which for many years has been created by the players. Yeah, there will be some boring data collecting regarding in-game NPC's and Items, however there are exciting possibilities to allow players to display their mark in AO's history.

Few remember that the Tir water system was originally toxic and that players actually impacted a changed for the water to be cleaned up. There is even a monolith in the city. How many people actually know this fact? I asked 10 people, 1 knew, the other 9... "What toxic water?".

There is a lot of history in the game which was affected by players, but few these days know it because it's pretty spread out and there is no place for anyone to even look it up.

A lot of MMO's out there have their own detailed Lore sections, with info about characters, places, historical facts, etc.

What we have officially from FC is an extremely condensed timeline which is out of date with a lot of missing information, an old Tir Accord document which is no longer valid, the novel "Prophet without Honour" that was released back in 2001 to set the game's background and a single page titled "The Story so far" which has surprisingly done a decent job at condensing the entire history of the human race.

However, it doesn't show all the stuff the players have done, all the adventures that individuals, organizations and groups of players have gone through the years.

There have been political conflict, child abduction, religious cultists (not talking totw here), personal vendettas, search and rescue ops, peace treaties, war declarations, new tech which was inspired by player actions, disappearances, elections, occupation of towns/cities, street fights, cyborg attacks, db attacks, alien attacks, bomb threats, corruption, you name it... it has likely happened among players.

There is great potential for the project, having a place where you can see all the stuff you, your friends, your guildmates and sometimes your entire guild have been involved in Rubi-Ka.

The entries will be moderated by AOU / PO staff... this will mean we can reject some in the future should it be necessary. We know someone at some point will claim to be "Lord of the Xan" or "Son of Ross and rightful OT CEO" or something crazy which we of course is against canon.

We would love to have rimoreans help out on this community project =D
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Mar 18th, 2009 at 14:15:56.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

This was a much better explanation to the whole project thank you. All the other posts that lead to the timeline thread was kinda confusing.
    Tresa "Cylie" Burke

I have moderated this thread twice now. Stop bickering and posting if you don't have anything worth while to add.

If you report the post and it hasn't been dealt with there could be a reason for that.

Since Rimor Buzz and Atlantean Buzz are specific for the Servers they represent this thread will not be removed.
    Director Bekrowe
    ARK Community Relations
    Public Forums Moderator
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

:: Social Guidelines ::
    :: Ark Public Website :: Social Events with ARK :: Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry :: ARK Tours :: Join ARK!

A shame to hear there was some bickering of some sort....but that's aside from the topic at hand.

This sounds like a great idea! ...Now, we're gonna have a hard time remembering all the specific dates of these different things that happened in the RP Timeline. It'll be a challenge, for sure...

I look forward to trying to add some tidbits to this
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Nulion View Post
    A shame to hear there was some bickering of some sort....but that's aside from the topic at hand.

This sounds like a great idea! ...Now, we're gonna have a hard time remembering all the specific dates of these different things that happened in the RP Timeline. It'll be a challenge, for sure...

I look forward to trying to add some tidbits to this
    Overall this is a big project, so it will take some time for a lot of the events from the past 8 years to be added accurately.

The Arid Rift NPC chats alone are over 40 posts, heh.

At this time we don't know what is going on with Project Omega, since the release of LoX a lot of players are busy doing that, we expect in the coming weeks for more people to contribute.

Thanks in advance Nul.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

...Now, we're gonna have a hard time remembering all the specific dates of these different things that happened in the RP Timeline. It'll be a challenge, for sure...
    Which is why we are making sure everyone that is interested knows that it is something being worked on and is "coming soon"! I know I have already started compiling data for my organisation and I would hope that others would want to do the same.

Right now all my information is getting pushed gradually into a spreadsheet so when the time comes and Khuri has a working form for us to use, it will be simple to transfer the data.

It's really interesting looking at my organisations history over the last 7, almost 8 years. Brings back lots of fond memories... as well as some almost cringe-worthy ones!

I know The LoX booster pack has people busy, but please don't forget about this project,

I've just added a preview screenshot of the PoRKT at the AOU Gallery here.

Update from Khuri:

The idea is, that everyone from the Timeline-Group (and AOU-team) can access all entries (as moderation), whereas the "normal" users can of course only see their own work.
    Please be aware this project and it's tool are only in it's infancy and we certainly will need feedback to make it a great Roleplaying resource/tool for everyone.

Preview image now available at our Gallery.

Impressive-looking!

...Now, I've got to ask...we can insert things into that timeline, or just look at it as it is? It looks more than a little like the official timeline.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Impressive-looking!

...Now, I've got to ask...we can insert things into that timeline, or just look at it as it is? It looks more than a little like the official timeline.
    Well the purpose is to add to People of Rubi-Ka timeline which both covers official events (i.e. Notum Wars, Shadowlands, Lost Eden, IC Greenie/Blue ARK Named Events, etc) and player-based events (current CoT, RP Orgs, RP events which were player-driven, etc).

AO has a rich storyline and I know for a fact that many great events were player-run which made rubikan history.

The PoRKT...oh hell pictures will do a better job that my humble description, new screenshots coming up in a few mins!

3 more images added to the Gallery, it should give people a good idea of what can be added

Just a reminder, the Timeline forum is open to the public, we need feedback on the project, we're finding a few bugs in the system already and hope to get more feedback on the project so we can get working 100% for the community to use.

I remember when Tir city had toxic water :O

wow I forgot about that....