Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing sounds in AO

Question Playing sounds in AO

*18.02 update*
    It seems like relative pathing stepping up folders to voice files no longer are working leading to two things:

1) this feature will no longer work; no more roleplaying fighting with sounds of gunshots, radio communication etc. No more ingame funky music at apartment parties.

2) all custom voice files now has to be placed in the default folder or subfolders, meaning that you can not just delete a folder to get rid of a mod containing scripts, gui and voicepack.
    Welcome back "good" old days where you have to go through multiple folders to delete customizations.

Strange, I got the impression from last FWM that customizing AO should be easier both for those making it and the end users. I guess I was wrong, or hopefully this is a bug related to the gui default folder thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    An 18.1 Preview from Macrosun (All Hail!):
    18.1 code features sneak peak/preview:

support for custom guis outside the 'Guis\Default' directory (we still don't give any customer support on third party GUIs though).
    To explain the AOU mod:
    We had placed help files, voice files and sripts all in one folder called AOU, so when you deleted that folder, you would remove all the custom files, scripts, helpfiles, voicepacks. Only one extra folder had to be replaced, the one mentioned in FWM above.
    Now they are making that relative, but we have to make a separate folder for the voice pack. One step backward, for a future one step forward..

Now we have two folders outside of the central folder.
    *end*

This will be a technical approach to this feature, a step by step guide is available at AO-universe

/voice accepts relative paths, meaning you can direct it to files outside of the default folder that is:
    Anarchy Online\cd_image\sound\sfx\player\

You can step up folders with ..\
    and step down folders with /

that leads to the following command for "Omni-Tek is your friend":
    /voice ..\/ingame/objects\announce
    (path: Anarchy Online\cd_image\sound\sfx\ingame\objects\announce_ 01.wav)

As with previous use of the /voice command, you can only play files ending with _01.wav luckily there are 950 of those in the AO folder.
    Everyone will be able to hear the sounds, as they already exist on there computer, unlike custom Voice Packs, where only those that also has downloaded the same Voice Pack can hear it.

But to use the /voice command you also need a corresponding .txt file, just as with the existing voice file, the text file dictates what is said in the chat channel, when the /voice command is activated.

a file called announce_01.txt in the above example.
    an appropriate contents could be:
    Omni-Tek is your friend

but the text files can include popups with pictures, and generelly behave as script files.
    /me,%t,%f and %0 are not working in them.

Only those that have turned on voices under F10->Audio->Voices will hear it, and you can not run the /voice command in neither OOC or the shopping channel.

I have made a little package containing the textfiles for 56 sounds, and a panel that makes them easy to play.
    You can get it Here

I have not found a way to play files that ends with names other than _01.wav
    So if you succeed in that, please provide the information in this thread.

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

Now enjoy the music and sounds

PS. I am glad the majority has faith in the AO population, so I can spread this RolePlaying tool.

-------Original post-------
    I have found an old command that can play AO sounds..
    I have wondered the past couple of days and I am unsure if I should release the knowledge on how to do it, so I will ask you all.

Would you like a feature that is able to play AO sounds ingame?
    not just for you but those around you will hear it too?

You can play the city background music, the noise the beast makes when he dies, the yottos song.. The funky music from Baboons and other bars.

I can see it's usefulness in roleplaying, where you can play a gun shot, a siren, your ComUnit beeping etc.

It seems like it is an old forgotten command, like /funcom and /messagebox <text>

It has about the same difficulty as making links, limiting it to those that know how to do such things, just as today where the possibility for coloring the text in the trade channel is there, but no one uses it, to not annoy others with weird color combinations.
    I have not seen any credit spammers using either colouring or links, meaning the difficulty of the procedure limits it's use.

My question is:
    Is AO ready to re-discover a command that can play sounds and music from the database?
    or is the fear of it being used by immature individuals so great that we would rather be without this useful roleplaying tool?

Please provide your feedback, if you would release this information or not.
    This isn't a suggestion or a technical problem, but the moral dilemma if I should tell you how to do something that is potentially annoying.

I will await your feedback.

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

PS. It is not a 3rd party program or any hack, it is just a command which use has been forgotten, like like /funcom and /messagebox <text>.
    (and congratulations to you if you remember those two commands)
    Last edited by ArienSky; Apr 3rd, 2009 at 13:32:15. Reason: Not working in 18.02
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    I have found an old command that can play AO sounds..
    dont see the point.. when one can just que up the whole music and/or sfx dirs in your favourite media player, and go from there.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    dont see the point.. when one can just que up the whole music and/or sfx dirs in your favourite media player, and go from there.
    You missed the point, please read the post before you comment.

This is not playing it locally, but playing it and having everyone near you (for vicinity, else all others shearing the channel) hear it too.

When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

So it's a command you can't find by typing in a letter and pressing TAB?

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    You missed the point, please read the post before you comment.

This is not playing it locally, but playing it and having everyone near you (for vicinity, else all others shearing the channel) hear it too.
    so you want a new way to harras and annoy the hell out of people in your vicinity.

got it.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

so you want a new way to harras and annoy the hell out of people in your vicinity.

got it.
    I don't see the real problem. Most players have admitted that they play with the sound turned off, anyway. If people wanted to use it to enhance RP, they could just turn on their sound for that use.

Like alot of things, if people did this, I see this as being a curiosity that people will "abuse" for a couple of weeks, then grow tired of unless they actually have a real use for it.

I say go for it.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Except for the credz sellers, it's very rare that I see people spamming vicinity or the chat chanels.
    I have the voice commands activated, but people rarely use it and don't spam it either.
    I think you should go for it.
    Thymoglobule - lvl 220 neutral solitus trader on Rimor
    Anarchist of La Troupe

Quote Originally Posted by Psithief View Post
    So it's a command you can't find by typing in a letter and pressing TAB?
    Try these commands:
    /funcom
    /messagebox <text>

Not all commands shows up when you do / TAB

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    I don't see the real problem. Most players have admitted that they play with the sound turned off, anyway. If people wanted to use it to enhance RP, they could just turn on their sound for that use.

Like alot of things, if people did this, I see this as being a curiosity that people will "abuse" for a couple of weeks, then grow tired of unless they actually have a real use for it.

I say go for it.
    you are very right indeed, to experiment if this really worked, I had to ask a lot of people to turn there sound on to hear it, so it will, as you mention only affect those with sound on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thymoglobul View Post
    Except for the credz sellers, it's very rare that I see people spamming vicinity or the chat chanels.
    I have the voice commands activated, but people rarely use it and don't spam it either.
    I think you should go for it.
    Yes it is rather seldom people use the voice commands indeed, this will hopefully be the same.
    On a side note:
    You should come to OT OOC on Atlantean that is pretty much alive, clan too at times. Apart from a buff request once in a while, it is indeed used for helping newcommers out

Thank you for taking your time to write your thoughts on this.
    I would rather not be the cause of sound spam, on the other hand it can be a great addition to roleplaying.

As the saying goes: knowledge is free, it is the responsibility of the people to use it for good. Someone else will find it sooner or later.

I will let this debate run for a couple of days, to give people time to contribute with there opinion.

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

-----------------------------

got it.
    It still seems like you have not gotten it..

It is not something I want.. it is something I have..

Why are you being so provocative and confrontational?
    If I wanted to harass others I could find many, many, MANY other ways to do it.
    How do you deduce that I want to harass, from asking people if they think AO is ready for a command which primary use will be RolePlaying.. but indeed can be misused to annoy others.

Please read posts before you comment, as mentioned a couple of times in the post this isn't a suggestion, but a question if old forgotten knowledge should stay hidden or be revealed.
    The first misconception you had was even already explained in very big letters.
    This second one, where you think it is a suggestion is explained too..

I find it a waste of my time to keep answering you comments, when you have not taken the time yourself to read the original post.
    Last edited by ArienSky; Mar 11th, 2009 at 12:43:20. Reason: Answer to Psithief

Well..hmm....it sounds awesome to me, but I know it's gonna get abused all to hell, at least for awhile.

My vote: Yes, please tell us. Why? Cause it's fun, interesting, and if someone starts to abuse it near you, you can always turn it off.
    **Proud Squad Commander of Nightmares End**

Aeirilys - 220 Doc RK2
    Spiritofsnow - 150 Sol RK2
    Oniaikido - 98 Leveling Up MA RK2

[ Rebel for Life ]~[ Clan 'til Death ]

never let the fact that some dumbass will abuse something prevent you from providing an enhancement to a product. The majority of players will use this, if they use it at all, maturely.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Is it /voice ?

Is it /voice ?
    who the hell doesn't know about /voice...

They already said that it isn't /voice btw :P
    **Proud Squad Commander of Nightmares End**

Aeirilys - 220 Doc RK2
    Spiritofsnow - 150 Sol RK2
    Oniaikido - 98 Leveling Up MA RK2

[ Rebel for Life ]~[ Clan 'til Death ]

Smile

Thank you for the feedback

I will let the debate run over the weekend so people playing in the weekend will have time to voice there opinion too.

As it looks now I will most likely post (edit) the "how to" in this thread.

Is it /voice ?
    Instead of asking how it is done, could you then say if you would like the feature or not?

I will not tell how it is done before monday, but I would appreciate your input on the issue.

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

I'd find this very interesting. There is music I like but I never hear, and vica versa.

PS: I suppose it is not possible to choose wether you want everyone to hear it, or just you?

On the issue: Dunno never experienced it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Corily View Post
    I suppose it is not possible to choose wether you want everyone to hear it, or just you?
    There is a workaround.

If you play it in your private channel, only those there will hear it.
    Most people do not use the private channel, so you can use that for your own pleasure and to experiment

or as shadowgod has mentioned: You can play the AO sound files in a mediaplayer (VLC can, but the standard Winamp can not)

I am currently working on the guide, as people seem to like the feature, more than fear it's abuse.

None of my test-subjects have complained so far
    .. apart from the rollerrat screeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiik!!!
    (Rollerrat scream can be combined with battle-music to audibly simulate an attack)

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

Knowledge is free.

id love being able to play sounds that others can hear as well myself, people abuse other things, doesnt mean it shouldnt be in game, like the voices etc, imo

Oh great, we'll be able to hear the cred selling spammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasubervixen View Post
    Oh great, we'll be able to hear the cred selling spammers.
    Have you ever seen a credit seller using colors or popups?
    I have not, so why should they suddenly go for sounds, which is just as complicated if not more.
    Further more they can not be played in OOC or the shopping channel

It is quite deliberately I have not told that it wouldn't be usable in the OOC and the shopping channel, as that would have made it obvious that it is the /voice command that is used, so to keep the debate on the feature, rather than saying how it is done I did not mention that.

As mentioned in what I am about to write; you can just disable voice commands, so you only hear it from vicinity and/or known friends.

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

I tried the script but Fanfare does not work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast