Thread: Three

Three

((Been a long time since I posted a story! ....But rest assured, this one is actually FINISHED! There is an ending! Joyous celebration! *confetti* Anyway, this one's been in the works now for months. I thought that it was difficult, if not impossible, to convey exactly how Nulion's mind had been working for the past year or so; that it needed a representation in story form, and needed to be displayed. This is that display, essentially ...And pretty much EVERYTHING here is a metaphor! Yay! Also, a quick note to Foos. You'll enjoy the nice little thing that I did not forget about in here, that you helped me out with. Trust me, you'll know it when you see it! ...Anyway, enjoy the story everybody! And let me know what you think! I reeeeeally love comments ))

Three

There are three rooms.

Each of these spaces is connected, and yet fragmented into pieces that cannot be repaired by hammer and drywall, nor by machine and labor. These spaces are constructed from construction itself, and decorated with pieces of the imagination...

...but of whose imagination?

There are three separate imaginations within these three separate rooms, each with their own yearnings, their own separate tickings and machinations.

Two of these imaginations are at odds with one another, the one coming into unwelcome contact with the other through an enormous tear that threatens to meld their spaces into one. The third could care less, only watching through a pane of glass with innocence as the other two glare both longingly and fearfully at the other. This embodiment of Innocence doesn't care who wins this war of attrition, who comes out on top; either way, it will stay as happy and bliss-intoxicated as it has been since it “came” to “live” with its “roommates”.

The two at odds, however, can never be satisfied while the other exists, and yet they rely upon one another...

They are the Orderly, and the Feral.
    Last edited by Nulion; Mar 6th, 2009 at 22:00:10.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

THE ORDERLY

A thin, grey-skinned man with long, straight black hair stands alone in a room basked in memories, the very air surrounding this being heavy with information, with thought, with reason just as normal air would be saturated with water vapor. Calling it a man may only be the closest approximation however, considering what it ultimately is. This...thing, is engulfed in not just memory of a life well-raised and well-spent, but of mistakes made, lessons learned, and experiences stained onto the canvas of life. Being the nerve center of civilized thought, it secretes these things as if they were sweat.

It is responsible for knowing life, and has lived it far longer than the other two...or rather, it knows its own version of life. A life shared by billions, perhaps trillions of others spread throughout the known reaches of space. It knows lessons of the lives of countless others passed in wordless echoes throughout time, through what it has seen and heard during the course of its life.

Twenty-eight years is a long time for it, but meaningless to the others; it is one of many concepts that only it cares for. It guards these concepts, holds them dear, and protects them with all its will.

It is not without flaws, which accounts for much of the reason it can no longer exercise its will in absolute terms, as it had for most of its existence. The fact that it does not control all it sees, as would be to most human beings, is a very troubling situation. It craves control...because it has been both indoctrinated in, and bound by control.

It is under contract, under lock and key; it will control, or it will be punished. Severely.

To be fair...there was a time where control was the last thing it wanted. It felt more like its innocuous, curious plaything of a neighbor, the Innocent. That was once upon a time though, before time brought with it responsibility, and responsibility brought duty. The carefree version of it vanished...buried by time beneath a worried mess of conflicting ideals.

This...thing, was the only one of the three that cared for clothing, yet another part of this control it felt obligated to exert over itself; it controlled self-image. As long as the parts of the body that needed shielded from the elements and from the eyes of others were covered, it felt at ease. Clothes carried multiple purposes, a fact befitting a creature of order. A set of clothes offered protection, offered style, offered a sponge of memory as the elements wore away at its fibers and strings...

One look at Orderly's armor could tell a hundred things about this being...and that is exactly how it preferred things to be. One could see where it went, what it felt, and how it lived thanks to the telltale wear and tear spread across its contours. The fact that it wears gloves at all times could be seen as a subtle statement to its unwillingness to show flesh to others.

One of these gentle, gloved hands would brush across a piece of the oaken furniture arranged in clean lines through the space of this room, a hand that could appreciate the artistry, the skill in crafting such a fine piece of work, even if it was used for nothing more than the orderly filing of books. The books themselves only sometimes existed, according to the whims and thoughts fading in and out of Orderly's consciousness, gathered from the information-heavy air. But when they appeared, these tomes could bring a smile of superiority to its face just knowing that it could read, that it could appreciate, and that it had so much of its own past to enjoy.

Most, it knows well, do not have this luxury...

“These are the things a beast could never understand”, Orderly would think to itself, taking in the subtleties of human creation that decorated its walls. Photographs behind thin, precious shields of glass visually detailed the cherished minutiae of Orderly's life. It could see itself as it really was, as it really meant to people beyond the scope of its own mind. Parties with family and friends, afternoons spent basking in the warm glow of a single sun's light, incredible, unforgettable vistas burned pleasingly into the mind's eye. A rosy-tinted shot of New Allegheny, its sanctuary of memory, and of all childhood experiences contained therein. A dish of its favorite ice cream, eaten during the greatest summer of its life. Its friends, arranged in no particular order, standing side by side in a group photograph that had never actually been taken. Each of them smiling, at the peak of their time, without the worries of faction, duty, or even physical location to dull the connective tissue that bound one to the other. Each photograph, held protected from harm by its shield, represented more than face value to Orderly.

These things WERE life. They were its excuse to continue living, to ensure to the best of its ability, a future that could continue to provide happiness on its own terms...but with two other roommates, each with desires rivaling its own, a future similar to the past became less possible by the day.

The biggest threat to Orderly's dominance over its realm was Feral, that creature through the hole in the wall. It stared intently at Orderly day in, and day out as patiently as time itself, waiting for its chance.

These chances occurred on rare occasions, as pieces of the world outside made their way in. Whispers and echoes, images and feelings. These objects, messengers of the outer world, had a powerful effect on Orderly. They were its conduit, its source of information and sense. Recently, these pieces of the exterior had begun to speak with Orderly in a way that could lull it away from its duty. Its eyelids felt heavier, ghostly apparitions of a woman, of a spinning cube, of a room full of onlookers flashing through its mind. In no time at all, its body could be seen by both its roommates in its weakest, most vulnerable state. This was Feral's chance...and there was not a thing Orderly could do to stop it.

Its body lay peacefully on the floor, at the whims and mercy of the beast whose time in the sun had come...

This was not the first time Orderly had lost the keys to its domain, surrendered them to ignorant sleep at the hands of the rigors outside. It had become unable to cope, to process the stresses involved with parts of life that had divided themselves among the three rooms. Feral and Innocent, being the ones to share in Orderly's control as it waned, became the ones to take on responsibility for the extremes of life. Anger may be dealt with at first by Orderly, but the moment anger crossed the line into Rage, Orderly lost the ability to shape it with its values, to deal with it on its own terms.

The tug of war to control, to keep each thought under check became harder for Orderly to keep up with...and as would happen with any living being, weariness set in. Orderly lost the ability to completely bar Feral, the most insistent and powerful of its roommates, out of the picture.

The influence had begun to spread, and one would only need to glance at the state of Orderly's room to see what effects it had wrought.

Orderly's room became less and less of its namesake, the closer to the wall one might get. Clean, soft carpeting wore into bare threads, bare threads gave way to gnarled, weather-worn wood beneath. Spots of blood stained the wood, and what little of the tattered flooring remained at the periphery of the fissure. Where did the blood even come from? There was nothing to bleed, or to be bled; it was simply the nature of Feral, spreading its influence slowly, inexorably into Orderly's domain.

The pristine, white wall that ran the perimeter of Orderly's space faded away just as the flooring did, drywall giving way to skeletal wooden studding and insulation, until even those bits of civilized space faded into nothing but shredded bits. The hole itself seemed quite literally ripped into existence by Feral, deep gashes and gouges brought to the material by tooth and by claw.

Orderly did not quite understand the nature of the thing beyond the gaping maw, and as a result feared it. That creature could be considered the epitome of the unknown. And as it is for all humans, the unknown represents the lack of control...which is the thing that scares them the most.
    Last edited by Nulion; Mar 6th, 2009 at 22:08:04.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

THE FERAL

Nature is a subjective thing, a very different experience when viewed through Feral's eyes. It feels nothing in the way a being such as Orderly would perceive it, bathed in the collective experience of a species that felt itself so advanced, yet was superior only in mind and number. There is no grand pantheon of great men and women in Feral's mind, those whose example could be followed. There is no collection of great works from which it can find lessons in life, no scholar to have shown the way with triumphs of the past meant to light the way for the future.

There is only the simple desire to live, to be, to do whatever the moment requires.

It stares through the gaping window torn through to a strange world of trappings, the irrelevant musings of a being obsolete, oblivious, but none the less protective of what it believes important in the world.

Trappings are simply that to a creature like Feral; traps. They imprison, they bound, they strangle and choke the free mind with illusions of impossibility. Why is it wrong to kill, when it feels so right? Why is it so horrible to mate with the best female it can find, when it only makes the most sense for the survival of its species? Why is it “impossible” to infect, to spread such a beautiful gift to others, to set them free?

Feral paced back and forth on all fours through the lush wilds of its domain, staring intently through an opening in the otherwise impassible wall of bramble and gnarled root separating it from the tame, controlled world of Orderly.

Its body looked nothing like that of Orderly, or like that of anything that should rightfully exist at all. That this...thing had actually descended from Orderly itself was not anything one could discern anymore, not a trace of humanity left on its carapace. Intense, wildly green eyes stared at the beyond with little more than an interest to hunt, to conquer; its vigil disrupted only by the occasional need to blink with both sets of eyelids. Its hide winkled at the joints as it crouched low against the earthen floor, a mosaic of iridescent scales coating it end to end. A leathery, element-worn ridge of dorsal spines extended the length of its body from head to tail, some having been bent or torn by its habit of rubbing itself against an errant log to shed.

Thick, dirtied and cracked claws extended from each of its digits, stained with the blood of...something. Without actual prey to hunt, the blood only existed because it willed it to be. It would idly paw at the moist soil beneath its heavy, dirty paws as it gazed on, slitted nostrils flared at the tiniest whiff of scent that flowed in from its roommates' dwellings. Lazily slumped onto its side as a dog on a sunny day, Feral was at a strange kind of peace with itself, biding its time and waiting...

A smooth, heavy tongue slid out from between plate-scaled lips to taste at the air, augmenting further Feral's ability to tell by scent alone what Orderly thought, what Orderly felt, as it sat alone in its prison of civilization. Where walls and structure defined the limits of Orderly's control, Feral needed no such thing; wilderness knew no bounds, and neither did the seemingly endless stretch of woodland that defined Feral's domain.

The beast did not need to move far, without bending and warping its own environment to suit its needs, the very biome expressed by Feral's self-contained reality able to shift according to bestial whim. With little more than a thought, grass and root would shrivel away to scorched sands and sun-bleached rock, and the arid desert of a reptile's dreams could just as easily be molded into the most perfect of swamplands.

Even with conditions molded directly out of Feral's idea of a perfect world, something was still amiss. Pieces of its world that should exist, that should be readily available, were impossible to conjure. The blood coating Feral's claws provided ample evidence of this, of its need simply to prey on the weaker parts of the world, for food and the satisfaction of the hunt. The most it could do was dream, a thing no reptile was ever meant to do. Feral was, of course, no ordinary reptile.

Feral's stares through the brambled hole could mean many things to a human being, from hunger to lust; a normal person simply cannot tell. Orderly was no different in this regard, only finding something to fear in what looked like the hungry eyes of a predator waiting for the kill. But for Feral, there was nothing to hunger for but a taste of the life Orderly could never allow. Orderly held the keys, the ability to hold their physical self back and keep away from the things Feral craved.

Feral could even smell it, a needless fear from a being scared of its own future. Orderly had standards, and could never allow itself to fall to the level of what it, by its very nature, felt so superior over. It devoutly refused any part of life that could bring happiness to a simple creature, and would argue that there are things an intelligent being should never do. That there are rules, guidelines, and order involved in something even as primal and base as the reproduction of its species. Relationships, marriages, love, commitment, sustainability, compatability and more are all human constructs, invented by the orderly nature of a human's mind. Even food, as well as the act of eating it, is bound under such constraints. In order to be “polite”, yet another human concept, food should be prepared with gusto, served appetizingly on a clean plate. The actual consumption of the food should be noiseless, done with utensils and a smile, with compliments to the chef and an aversion to eating too much for fear of there not being enough for everyone else.

There were so many things to be worried over, to be fussed with, for even the tiniest and simplest things. Feral only wanted food, only wanted sex in their purest forms; no strings attached, no rules. It simply wanted what it needed. Why, Feral wondered, was it so difficult to do something so simple?

Feral cannot be held to blame for its desires, being bound by its urges as much as Orderly, if not more so. It is a strange thing then that even though their desires are so polarized, their needs so simultaneously domesticated and wild, that Orderly occasionally feels a growing, welling desire to be more like Feral, to wallow in the riches of nature and not feel the weight of even a single worry.

This, Feral can feel, is Orderly's greatest fear. Gradually, Orderly is wearing away, becoming more like Feral. This transformation seems to have no end, creeping along and warping the tiniest threads of the fabric comprising Orderly's humanity. Someday, Orderly knows, it too will be torn with what little resistance it has left from that which it has always known. It will be forced to adapt, to take a knee and accept the coming changes, in hopes that at least some part of it, the most important parts, can hang on and weather the storm.

Of course in the eyes of Feral, this only meant good things for the future. The fact that Feral cared about a future at all could be called a result of the breach between worlds, a contact between the spaces of Orderly and Feral; the hole.

The tear between the two beings did not allow just the sight of one another to cross into their domains, but the air. Fragrant, cultured atmosphere trickled in through Orderly's side into Feral's, gifting what otherwise might be simply an animal with the ability to think. The same gentle ebb and flow of worlds intertwining brought with it the feelings and desires of a beast, into Orderly's stronghold of reason. This is why, as time goes by, the two feel more and more like one another. The two should never have mixed, and yet now seem destined to homogenize into one.

As Orderly falls asleep in the center of its room, eyelids heavy with pieces of the dreamy outer world, the breeze feels the strongest...easing Orderly right where Feral wanted it to be.

During those rare times Feral might catch its rival on the floor, eyes shut, it could feel the most amazing and implacable sensation, whispering across the fissure. A voice...always female, always comforting, beckoning Feral into the unknown.

TRANSCENDENCE

It was only during these times that the beast could approach, its weather-worn claws pulling it along the ground. Leaves crunched, sand shifted, and mud separated, squelching beneath its leathery pads. Grasping an uncertain paw at the bramble-coated wall, it could feel something warm spread across its scaly flesh. Knowledge in the world of Orderly manifested itself as a physical and very real thing, an invisible coating of warmth and security to serve as a blanket, a shield for a creature with nothing else to protect itself. The further that Feral pulled itself through the fissure, the more the feeling spread, spurning desires and urges the reptilian beast had only occasionally known. Each time through the wall, Feral could feel a sampling of what it felt to be in Orderly's place, of what it felt to be a human being.

The warmth spreading through Feral brought with it an urge to stand upright, something only possible, only reasonable when in the world and presence of Orderly. The being of reason asleep at its feet only served to bring a crude smile of satisfaction across Feral's plate-scaled lips, its tongue sliding out to taste at the sweet air around it. Staring back at where it had come from, Feral's immersion in Orderly's world brought curiosity to its eyes at the sight of what its presence had already wrought. From each splayed, muddied paw print dug into the plush carpet, and from each contact Feral's body made with this foreign world, its influence began to take hold. Soil spread as a beautiful contagion in small measures where Feral's scales had grazed the manmade threading, beginning to look much like a forest floor. Blades of grass rose, small flowers budding at the merest caress. A small vine twisted its way from where Feral's hand-paw had made contact with the wall, winding its way toward the ceiling, small leaves vying for room to flourish in this new world.

Sniffing at the air, sampling the breeze with its slender tongue, Feral could already tell that its presence brought a sorely needed feeling of nature into what otherwise stood as a lifeless fortress of memory and control. These memories, stained into every corner of the room did not disappear or even grow faint. Instead, through Feral's eyes they became little more than tools, each with a pointed and specific purpose. Each fragment of Orderly's memory felt familiar to it somehow, as though it had seen and felt them by proxy.

Feral, despite the gained understanding of what the memories represented, still thought of them only in terms of what could bring it pleasure. Feral craved pleasure in the same way Orderly craved control, yet Feral was not bound to self-restraint; only to Orderly's will. Seeing a beautiful female in a photograph that it knew to be a close friend would only result in a building desire to see that female converted, bitten and mutated into something it could find more palatable. After it finished what it needed to do, it was free to find yet another healthy female, to repeat the process.

This knowledge served as little more than a stepping stone, a start on the path to greater things. Leave the past behind after it is used up, and look toward the future. This was the only version of the future that Feral could understand, and this is the only future there would be, if Orderly were to lose complete control.

Even Orderly's language was simply a means to an end, a way to get what Feral wanted. The beast could never understand English on its own, but through Orderly, mastery of the world became a real possibility, with all the bounty such a thing could hold to those without regard for the “rules”.

The entire lexicon of Orderly's language sat, unassumingly, atop a desk against the wall. This wall had a strange look to it, that even Feral could tell was out of place. It was as if someone, or something could see through it from the other side with curious eyes. The paper was of most interest though, only staying a blank sheet as long as the mind focusing on it stayed blank. The moment thoughts sprung from Feral's head, they developed as would an inkblot with a mind of its own into English words and phrases on the paper. Even glancing at the paper, covered now in alien symbols birthed by its own mind, the beast could grasp what it all meant, and how it fit together as a coherent whole.

“Hrrrrrrrisss.. irr...isss....ussseful...luh...”

The beast's voice sounded thick and harsh, its throat struggling to form even the most basic of human sounds in the same way a human would have difficulty imitating the exact language of a swan. The way the tongue had to twist, or pull into its throat for a “Th” sound, the subtle push of the lips and breathy sensation that came with forming a “Wuh”, or even the tightening of the face at the sound of “You” were all sensations that felt new to an animal, even as the muscle memory altered and adapted to become as tools to Feral. The creature struggled with each word until a nigh-unintelligible hiss-growl became a proper language.

Feral studied the lexicon, pulling the paper from its resting place to bring its thoughts further into spoken reality, paying no heed to the thick patch of moss that had sprouted atop the desk from where its hand glanced the wood.

Soon, it would be ready to speak for itself. It would answer the female on the outside, and perhaps even get what it wanted, for a change.

Taking a final glance at the slumbering, fallen master of Order, Feral could only smile and respond with the lexicon's aid;

“Yrr...yesss....I hrrrearrr you...”

THE INNOCENT

Some things never change, simply because those things are incapable of it. They stay the same through time, to serve as memories of simpler times to those of us who do change. This was Innocent's domain, that of happiness and curiosity.

Not much else is known about this third, elusive creature. Orderly has never actually seen it, and nor has Feral. They know it exists without knowing how, or why. When Feral saw the strange wall in Orderly's room, it knew that Innocent was just looking back, that perpetual curiosity and desire to be happy shining back at at it.

In the end, that is what makes Innocent the being it is.

Innocent's room is different from the other two, in that both Orderly and Feral can be watched from inside its domain. Innocent can stare in full view at the two contrasting rooms, one whole wall dedicated to this very purpose. The two warring personalities never seem to notice or care that they are perpetually being spied on by the curious being, obliviously going about their business while Innocent simply observes, taking in the bits and pieces of their worlds it finds most appealing.

Orderly was Innocent's favorite, since it provided Innocent with all manner of curious, interesting objects for its use. Whatever Innocent saw that it liked, it would bring into its own world, resulting in an ethereal playground of curiosity. Forks and potted plants, rubber balls and picture-filled books, metal pitchers and a chessboard without any pieces. Half-eaten crayons and bits of unendingly fresh food sat atop a small table in one corner, mingled amongst the rest of Innocent's favorite things. There was no real order to the room, with things being placed where they lay simply because it was the physical spot that Innocent lost interest in one thing, only to gain interest in another.

Some things sat upon that table that were not just ordinary playthings, though. Even Innocent could find value in an object, by something as simple as that object being a gift. One object in particular was held high above the others, on a well-kept shelf overlooking the disheveled mess that was Innocent's domain. A medium-sized, hardbound book with a picture of a snowy white polar bear sat comfortably on its haunches, staring up at the night sky, was perhaps the most prized thing to Innocent. The book was titled “And the Bear Saw Stars”.

Innocent wasn't entirely sure why it loved the book so much, or why it would spend so much of its time standing against the transparent wall to Orderly's domain, peering at the desk with the lexicon so that it could understand the words to accompany the book's beautifully illustrated artwork. Word by word, Innocent could decrypt the story laid out before its eyes. The story concerned a bear in the snowy north, lonesome from a life spent hunting fish in the ice-choked streams. The bear felt nothing more to life than the simplest of things, to the point that it had lost touch with all else around it. When the bear wasn't sleeping, it was hunting...and it never once occurred to poor creature that there was anything else, anything better. That was the case until one night, perched atop a snowy cliff beneath the most beautiful of starry skies, the bear wondered to itself what those twinkling points of light actually were. Each night, the bear would crane his head to the heavens, each time finding something new, something wonderful that he had never cared to notice before. The bright and crater-studded moon, the gently flowing waves of the aurorae, even the bright streak of a comet. The more the bear watched, the more the others came to join him, and the more they told stories amongst one another about the amazing things they had witnessed...

Innocent felt so much like that bear somehow, knowing it had much to do with the plight of Orderly and Feral. Feral was the bear at the beginning of the book, caring only for food and shelter...and yet Orderly seemed like the bear at the end of the book, knowing so much about something new. Innocent thought to itself that if Feral was the beginning, and Orderly was the end, that it had to be the middle. It only made sense, even to such a playful and curious thing, on the rare occasions that Innocent could see its own reflection in the glass wall between it and its neighbors.

This creature's body really was a stopping point, a middle for both of the extremes presented and embodied by Feral and Orderly. Innocent was a near-perfect blending of the two, both physically and mentally. Humanoid in stature and posture, its human shape was added to by distinctly reptilian features. Scales coated its body in all areas but the head and neck, the very same kind present on the leathery hide of Feral, and yet its bone structure and facial details were identical to Orderly's. Innocent retained the two sets of eyelids and abnormally lengthy tongue of its animal cousin, but the ability to smile and animate its face in the same way Orderly could. Claws tipped its hands and feet, pushed out from what would otherwise have been finger and toenails, and even the spines running down Feral's back were present on Innocent, in abbreviated and half-developed form.

Its mind, too, was a near-seamless amalgamation of Orderly and Feral. Since Orderly represented knowledge and control, and Feral represented the untamed and free wilderness, Innocent wound up in a perpetual state of happy obliviousness, but with an intense desire to know more...just like the bear, in the middle of the story.

Innocent could never be more than what it was, however, without the other two; it relied heavily upon them without even realizing it. Without Feral and itself, the whole being would be nothing but a dry collection of facts and judgments, built atop a foundation of memory. Without Orderly and itself, Feral would simply sit and live, occasionally eating and sleeping...just like the bear. Time would stop, and nothing would mean anything. Without Innocent, however...neither side would be able to come to a happy medium. One moment, the whole would be a savage, hungry for hunger's sake, for only the things that would please its fleeting appetites. The next moment, in a fit of control and self-realization, it would rip itself back into a human state of mind, only barely realizing how close it had come to losing itself forever.

There was a time when this was the only reality, when Innocent had only existed as a nascent part of Orderly, freed into its own existence by the everlasting conflict. Feral had won in this turbulent time, being the strongest of them all, dominating Orderly with little trouble. The whole would have been lost, confined only to the wishes and expectations of a beast had it not been for those on the outside, who had given Orderly a chance to get back on its feet.

It took time, of course...slow, inexorable and drawn out...to the point where only a part of Orderly was able to take shape; Innocent. “Born” from Orderly yet “tainted” by Feral's still-strong influence at the time, Innocent became the stepping stone Orderly needed to return to what it was before, while at the same time being just the thing Feral needed to come to a compromise with Orderly...and ever since, Innocent had become the unknowing yet happy conduit and mediator of each side's desires.

Innocent, despite being such a minor curiosity, ended up being just as important to the whole as were the others.
    Last edited by Nulion; Mar 6th, 2009 at 22:30:28.

THE WHOLE

If anything could be said about the three, it was that two opposing ends can never represent the whole, as they would simply cancel one another out. The fact is, there must be a middle ground, through which the opposing ends are channeled. It is this center that we all see on the outside, the true representation of the whole.

Innocent by itself is no singular representation either, simply a piece of the whole. Orderly has its contributions to the outside, as does Feral. Innocent, being half of one and half of the other, is the perfect conduit for a mind so fractured, so divided by the harshness of the outside world...and yet when either Orderly or Feral wishes to convey its will, that will still passes directly through Innocent.

This is why when you see him wandering about in the physical world, that even though he can discuss metaphysics and philosophy with you in such an intelligent fashion, and be such a fearsomely wild beast in other times, that he always has the time and the urge, for a sniff or a lick.

-The Mind of Nulion
    Last edited by Nulion; Mar 6th, 2009 at 22:31:23.

(ooc: I am in awe of the rich texture provided in this piece. You have excellent talent, dude. )
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

((Thank you! ...And here I'd been worried it was too wordy, or too unintelligible, hehe))

[[This piece is very deep, and im with Bubba in the awe. It does a tremendous job if explaining just whats going on in Nulion's mind. Good work bud =) ]]
    Tresa "Cylie" Burke

((Woot! Thanks *hugs the comments* They make me all warm and fuzzy, hehe. I'm glad it succeeded in doing what I wanted it to do ))

((Juuust....bumping this up a little. Worked long and hard on this one, don't want to see it fall to the bottom Anybody else have any thoughts on it, by any chance?))

(( I loved the entire story, its...as they say further up..Deep.I love your writing ))

((Thank you, Elle ...I spent months writing this one. Think I started in December, or January? ...I actually forget when I began with it. But still, thank you! I hope others enjoyed it too And I've gotta say, I hope the character playing Maugerry read it. She is, after all, the only actual human character in the story, hehe. There's good reason for it though!))

((Back to the top bump for this masterpiece.))
    You have not wasted your day if you have laughed at least once and learned at least one new thing. ~Jokzer

The way I see it, the loot, the levels, all the binary is temporary and can be lost at any time. The only permanent thing in the game are the people and the memories you make with them. ~Silq

~ Homeostasis ~ Proud member of ARETE ~RX~. 2001-2014 - It's been a wonderful journey! *hugs* from Homeo and her army of alts!

((Aww, thank you! ))