Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 6th, 2009

Friday with Means - March 6th, 2009

Another week in the trenches!

This weeks update seems to have gone well...with a few exceptions. Some of you might have noticed that the weapon upgrades I was looking forward to including with the 12-man instance are already live. Congratulations to those who have already earned theirs by defeating either Vortexx or the Technomaster. You earned the weapons...you will be keeping them...and others will have the same chance to get them as you have. As they snuck out early there is still a chance specifics of these weapons will be adjusted...I can already hear the "nerf" cries starting...but at least we'll be sure to get significant feedback on the relative power on these weapons from the players that have them. They will of course have a significantly higher chance of dropping in the 12-man when we get a chance to patch it out. New loot items we were hoping to save for later will be making an earlier appearance than planned to better fill out the loot tables of the new instance...lets hope you guys find them as satisfying and worth the effort.

Questions:

1. When is ________ being patched in?

Soon!

2. Perk reset npc? How much, when and how?

First use will be free. This will create a 48 hour lockout from using it again. Should you wish to use it again immediately instead of waiting the 48 hours it will have a cost of 20 million credits. This should be out in the next update.

3. No...my NCU...I feel naked when others can see it!!!

This is why we ask for feedback on new game mechanics. Soldiers, quite rightly, feel it would be unfair for others to see when their TMS is next available. Knowing this is a significant issue for soldiers means that we can make it so that this specific timer-nano is not visible to others. When we can see that issues of this kind are addressed we can look forward to this new feature...and not before.

4. Reverse Knockback - who gets it?

I have no idea...Macrosun is making features faster than we can implement them. Not coming very soon...so no panicking yet please.

On a personal note:

Can this week be "Be kind to n00bs week!". We did an experiment this week where each of the devs would make a new character and try to get help..and god forbid...an invite to an organization. I think the most diplomatic way of describing the outcome would be to say there were "mixed results". AO is a very complicated game...please try to remember how it felt when you first started out and try to extend some kindness to these people...Rubi-Ka is a dangerous complicated place...a little help goes a very long way.

To the one particularly uncharitable person I met while on a low account this week:

"You didn't fall...you were pushed!"

Have a nice weekend everyone!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

All hail the techno pants.

I feel naked anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    To the one particularly uncharitable person I met while on a low account this week:

Have a nice weekend everyone!*

*except for you you you uncharitable person!

**ALL HALL MINIMACROSUN!
    Fixed that for you Means.
    Last edited by Technogen; Mar 6th, 2009 at 17:12:26.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Amazing stuff
    Lumandan 220/30/70 ::.
    Dangerousdoc 220/18/56 ::.

.:: Divine ::.

"Incompetents invariably make trouble for people other than themselves"

I think it is easier to get help in the weekends, where I think more play the game for fun rather than to obtain something.

At least I help more out in the weekends, so I build my assumptions on a very little volume of data, I admit.

Just found your /funcom command, way cool

Kind Regards
    Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

On a personal note:

Can this week be "Be kind to n00bs week!". We did an experiment this week where each of the devs would make a new character and try to get help..and god forbid...an invite to an organization. I think the most diplomatic way of describing the outcome would be to say there were "mixed results". AO is a very complicated game...please try to remember how it felt when you first started out and try to extend some kindness to these people...Rubi-Ka is a dangerous complicated place...a little help goes a very long way.

I'm always nice to them build their lowbie imps, explain how to be Über as me, and occasion give them a "fortune" in credits and armor, they almost pass out when they comprehend what is being given haha
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Yay for XAN weapons
    Irmo 220 sol
    Hogfather 220 doc "ER...HO. HO. HO."
    Wintersmith 220 crat
    Ainur 209 trader
    Viralbots Incorporated

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."

First page!

lol @ the being pushed.. I can imagine what happend haha
    Last edited by Harios; Mar 6th, 2009 at 17:22:37.
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

On a personal note:

I literally laughed out loud on that one! I can just picture some guy /moon-ing some noobie who asked for help with building an implant or nano formula (hey, I built nanos when I was a noob... I thought tradeskilling would be a viable profession and wanted to get into the habit from the start... Yeah, that didn't last long!) only to be shoved off Jobe Platform!
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

So my question is this Means.

If the devs have these lowbies running around now with out the benifits of GM powers and such how far are you going to take these toons? I mean this is a great idea. Play them to 60 as normal players trying to get by on RK as true noobs. See and feel our pains that even the ones with high level toons to support new toons still feel.

On a personnal note. I want to ask about the drop rate of specific item in TOTW. The Frozen Tear of Ukleash. Compared to all other weapon drops in TOTW this one item is stupid rare. Having spent a week camping Ukleash about 4 hours a night this week I have decided that the one in like 20 or 30 kills now is all I am going to get. Considering the Styg drops every kill and I have even seen two drop on one corpse I don't understand why the Tear is so hard to get. Even the Skull of Woe and Skull of Lamentation are easier to get.

So some clarity on the Perk Reset NPC.
    1. I use it. Cost: Free / Lock Out:48 hours
    2a. I want to reset with in 48 hours. Cost 20mil / Lock Out: Reset to 48 hours
    or
    2b. I wait the 48hours and it is free to use again?

Is this how it will work? I mean we just wait 48 hours every time and it is free every use. But if we are must have now it is 20mil everytime you use it and the lock out has not expired.

Thanks for the update.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

On a personal note:

Exactly! and its not just tward lowbies (but there are ppl like that everywhere no matter what side) im glad you guys did that
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

1. When is ________ being patched in?

Soon!
    Admitting question 1 includes blunt perklines fix, can u define soon ?

was lmao with that one hehe
    not a very prudent thing to do when at work :P
    Submicron agent
    Bloodcult retired MP
    ---
    part of the Inner Circle family

please try to remember how it felt when you first started out and try to extend some kindness to these people...
    Oh I remember all right. A rl friend of mine intruduced me to the game and helped me along the first few levels. I remember saying "I'm not sure this is a good idea, I sort of have an addictive personality". The rest, as they say, is history...

Next time I see him I'm so gonna kick his ass!

2. Perk reset npc? How much, when and how?

First use will be free. This will create a 48 hour lockout from using it again. Should you wish to use it again immediately instead of waiting the 48 hours it will have a cost of 20 million credits. This should be out in the next update.
    Two questions on this:

• Does this mean that you can use unlimited immediate npc perk resets, as long as you pay the 20 million credits each time?

• After the first free perk reset, are all subsequent npc perk resets free if you wait the 48 hours?

This is a topic dear to my heart. I've seen so many downright mean actions towards newbies, it makes me wonder how many just give up. I know some people that periodically roll a temporary new character just to help out on newbie island. Now, I wouldn't expect that everyone would do that -- but at least if some people weren't so mean to newbies, it would be a big help.
    Newbie: I can't get my ncu into my belt. Can someone help me?
    Mean Player: Type /terminate. That resets your ncu memory.

Edit: By the time I posted this, someone else had already asked about the perk resets. Sorry for any duplication.
    Last edited by tiralee; Mar 6th, 2009 at 18:01:54.

(...)

(...)

Again and again.... server population issue.

A little help goes a very long way, but....

When most (i estimate 70%-80%) of the active players have a lvl 220 toon, and almost no legitimate leveling happening these days, being nice is something that will be soon, completly gone.

If you're level 70 on your main, you will have a fresh memory of how hard it was at the beginning... however, if you have 3 220's, 2 of them were org-pocketed all the way trough, you tend to get a arrogant attitude regarding newbs.

What i really hope for Friday with Means, each friday is:

1 - New engine release date
    2 - Marketing strategy and investment plans for getting more clients.

I predict that with the rise of the server population:

1 - My complaints would suddenly vanish into thin air
    2 - Less drama since now we know each other by names and alts on each server, but with more people we won't
    3 - A happier Means with a better income
    4 - Finally being able to check LFT for cybor partners again

cheers, and thank you for keeping us up-to-date.
    Last edited by Gatess; Mar 6th, 2009 at 18:13:04.

3. No...my NCU...I feel naked when others can see it!!!
    Can we just throw this idea out now? I know the devs like playing around and showing off, but this really isn't needed. Part of being a good PvPer is knowing how long your debuffs last and timing everything properly. Being able to see when and if stuff is running out makes it so even the noobiest person can have a decent timing.

Please, I beg you, stop taking the skill out of PvP.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

... something without screens from the new engine ...

On a personal note:

Have a nice weekend everyone!
    Sorry but, Haha!

RK3 ftw I say:
    http://forums-de.anarchy-online.com/...ad.php?t=56890

We even have an ingame bot especially for persons like these devs.
    There a even players on the newbie isle that help new players.

For the none german speaking:
    It's a bot where new players can join and ask veteran players for help etc and there a veteran players on the newbie isle that help new players(not everytime but often).

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    Can we just throw this idea out now? I know the devs like playing around and showing off, but this really isn't needed. Part of being a good PvPer is knowing how long your debuffs last and timing everything properly. Being able to see when and if stuff is running out makes it so even the noobiest person can have a decent timing.

Please, I beg you, stop taking the skill out of PvP.
    Stop lying to yourself. AO has never required "Skill" to PvP, it was all completely about what items you get.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast