Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - February 27th, 2009

Friday with Means - February 27th, 2009

A Busy Week:

It has been a busy week in game, and definitely on the forums. Thanks to all who have taken the time to take part in discussions on improving AO for all of us. Some excellent ideas were brought up and suggestions were made. A couple of which are already done!

It is always good when we get the chance to get this kind of a discussion going, especially with so many different people. It gives us a chance to get a better perspective on what is really important to the playerbase...and it can sometimes be surprising. A great number of the issues that were brought up will not require crazy amounts of work to resolve, and it will be good to know that a bit of small effort in the right direction can make such a difference to so many people. For example I didn't fully realize how much people were affected by the spammers in game...work has already been done to make this problem easier to deal with (something not easy in a game that offers free accounts..) and we look forward to having better ways (less player driven) in the near future to deal with this issue. Again, thanks to all who put together lists of their top 10 issues, this will be very usefull in planning our development in the coming year. It was also great to hear that some already started work was moving in the right direction.

The Booster:

Work continued this week on ironing out the last few small issues in the booster after what was probably the smoothest launch we have ever had. We can look forward to an update on Tuesday (barring disaster) to address, and crush, the vast majority of the small issues included in the booster and the recent past.

Including:

- Adding the suggested SK rewards for 220 players to the Dust Brigade and Alien questlines.
    - Increasing the drop rates of components for Spirits that drop from the Technomaster and Vortexx instances.
    - A serious attempt at removing the raid related crash that has been occuring recently.
    - Further work at tightening up synch even further.
    - Addressing small issues with several of the new missions.
    - Removing the smoke effect from the new hoverchairs.
    - Adjusting alien snares to reduce training in the Arid Rift alien playfield.
    - Tidying up a few new exploits.

It has been great to see so many of you enjoying the booster and your feedback on WHY you are enjoying it. This type of content structure is a little new...but it seems like one that works. In the future we'll try to make adjustments to older content to make the risk vs reward similar to encourage the idea of "alternative leveling" away from traditional (and perhaps repetitive..)methods. Work is of course continuing on the final instance...and while it will not be coming in Tuesday's update it will be coming very soon. The weapons included in the instance need to be right as I would hate to see them adjusted after being pushed to live.

Soon there will be another interview with me on AO-Universe.com (I was slow getting it to them while recovering from the launch..). I am certain you are all getting quite sick of me by now. I'm hoping in the near future we can have a weekly update from other Devs in the house here so you can get to know them a little bit as well. They are all talented and very interesting people and I am honored to get to work with them every day. Who should go first?

Macrosun's Fun stuff for this week!

Reverse Knockback sneak peek (No leets were harmed in the filming of this video!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV1HrOsj3fU

Visible Display option for Hostile Nanos running on your target! (Screenshot at bottom of this post...early version...size of icons etc can be tweaked later )

Hail Macrosun!
    Last edited by Means; Feb 27th, 2009 at 15:28:23.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First!

Early one!

Means, since some/most/all of the Alpha/Beta symbs area already in game, would you/could you consider placing the perk reset NPC in game for us.
    Last edited by Technogen; Feb 27th, 2009 at 15:31:53.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Doomsday with Macrosun is obvious.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Visible Display option for Hostile Nanos running on your target!

very ... *very* good idea !
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Fire macrosun plx!
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    First!
    Nerf

Will Mongo get the reverse knockback?...taunts would at last work in pvp
    Last edited by Harios; Feb 27th, 2009 at 15:37:14.
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    Could be.. will it however just display the hostile nanos you yourself have casted on the target, or just all hostile nanos running on the target?
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

As one of the last fixers on RK1 I sure hope you will get some insight in our "toolset" and overall viability before you make us easy kill for even more profs with that knockback stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinne View Post
    As one of the last fixers on RK1 I sure hope you will get some insight in our "toolset" and overall viability before you make us easy kill for even more profs with that knockback stuff.
    No, they are going to watch active Fixers on the server for a week and then include their name in the effect of the R-Knockback so that those people are ROOTED in place after being R-knockbacked...

Yes this is sarcasm, if you look at fears and knockbacks there were profs that had counters to them, I see fixer as being one of the counter profs
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

question about the visible debuff thingy. does it show all the ones running on target or just the ones you put there? personally i think the second one would be best.

another question: ubt/drain removal tools for pets and getting them cleared from pet ncu in decon?

reverse knockback looks interesting.

letting one of the devs post every week is a good idea imo, but you should still bring an update every week. maybe let the dev talk about what they worked on taht week (or who they pissed off or how annoying you were or something )
    aka: keep FWM as it is currently (answering questions, what you guys been working on, sneek peeks, some personal stuff mixed in to make it a fun read,...), but get a dev to post every week about their week, nothing general, just what's on their mind or what they are personally excited about or something
    maybe posted on another day too to keep us busy (tuesday or wednesday maybe?)

very curious to see how you're gonna try solve the spammer problem (which is very hard to solve cause of the free accounts, like you said)
    Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

wtb keeper anti-fear aura visual effect removed

Oh yea !

You added a red arrow with 'Lol-feature' on it !

I cannot wait!
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    if you look at fears and knockbacks there were profs that had counters to them, I see fixer as being one of the counter profs
    Well WTB Means looking at the same direction as you then

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Visible Display option for Hostile Nanos running on your target! (Screenshot at bottom of this post...early version...size of icons etc can be tweaked later )
    Hope that's only visible to the person who casting it

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    First!
    Damn troll

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Meeblings

The text bubbles and animation on the reverse knockback video remind me of the Meeblings flash game (http://www.ninjakiwi.com/Games/Puzzl...Meeblings.html). "Come here!", "Away!", "Gravity!". That will be fun to see in-game.

The hostile nano view on targets looks cool. I wonder if a sortable text option will available --like the ncu window on ourselves. I can see advantages to seeing all hostile nanos and seeing only my hostile nanos running on the target, so I'm just interested in seeing the implementation.

Still enjoying AO.
    Fayelure,
    President of 3305 Local.

I made my boss go "What?" as I laughed out loud to that Youtube clip.

Will the supplier NPC inside Xan area get back to selling us things?
    Oh and could you please, pretty please give us a bank terminal close to him or anywhere in there?
    Stars "Wormx" Monkey 220/30/70 3rd opi fix on RK1, 7th on all dimensions to hit AI30 Thanks for all the raids : )
    DanceMeTo "Summerglow" TheEndOfLove 220/27/67 Opi Fixer. Yes, I like fixers.
    LifeIs "Winterglow" NoCabaret 150/14/42 Opi Fixer. Waiting for more hits with the nerfbat.
    Doctor "Wormx6" Panda 220/20/55 Atrox doctor, dinged 220 off Thrak key quest : )
    Mr "Ceilingcat" Monkey 220/23/52 Soli MP, hiding in the ceiling, watching...
    Too many other alts to list here...

Yeas but stack of 100 nano or health rechargers ql250 will cost now 1.04m not 100k like it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Again, thanks to all who put together lists of their top 10 issues, this will be very usefull in planning our development in the coming year.
    Thanks Means. As you already know, my #10) Incessant whining about all problems related to mai prof (AMPEE HALP) was my number 1 priority so I'll be holding my breath on double-AS triple-procing Tigress dualwieldable with Shield of Zset in 18.1 (or 18.0.7 I'm not picky). Cheers.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    Yeah.... I'm sure I will absolutely LOVE to have everyone know when my Doc is shut down / disabled by GTH....

How could I not love that feature....
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast