Thread: Learning Curve

Learning Curve

I'm new enough to remember my first days on AO and how rough they were. Improving the newbie treatment kits is a start, but the learning curve here is still *very* steep. Getting basic armor and a first weapon is an incredible pain for a new player. Of the 3 friends I convinced to join AO, only one still plays, and the other two couldn't handle the difficulty of getting started. These weren't game noobs. All 3 are veterans of other games. They even had a friend, me, to give them money and basic supplies.

I know that FC is aware of the problem, and I applaud such recent changes as increasing the charges in newbie treatment kits, lessened penalty for dying, and adding low level quests. However, the quests are very difficult for the average newbie to encounter.

Suggestions:

1. Newbie shop terminals should have one random armor piece in addition to the random fashion piece. I know of more than one case where someone saved hard to buy a shirt or pants and was stunned it didn't provide any armor protection.

2. There should be a very simple quest in the backyard. It would introduce players to quests, provide them with a nice piece of protective gear or an implant, and it would give them a little money to help them buy that lockpick. Heck, maybe the quest reward should BE a lockpick.

3. Most players begin as neutrals when making their first character. Please please let people unload the starter maps so they can get the maps of whichever faction they join in the first few levels. If that isn't possible, maybe switching sides should automatically remove your starter maps and replace them with the new appropriate starter maps.

4. Notify player the first time he or she leaves the backyard that unless you scan you will return to the backyard when you die.

5. Notify player when choosing an apartment that he/she has just chosen an apartment, the location of the apartment, and suggest they write it down. Offering them a chance to turn down the apartment would be even better. Many players are completely unaware they have chosen an apartment.

6. Using the basic forms to switch faction should only be possible when you are in a neutral area. Upon using the basic form to switch, you should get a free automatic scan to a random backyard reclaim terminal appropriate to your new faction. These two measures would prevent that horribly frustrating death loop situation for new players.

very good ideas..... I've known more than a few people who were overwhelmed with the complexity of the game in their first few days.... These ideas would greatly help!!! Especially some kind of QL1-3 armor being in the shop terminals in the backyard!!! The quest is an awesome idea too... a 250 cred quest that involves going to the "difficult side" of the training grounds and killing something, someone, or just delivering an item. It would at least help introduce people to the idea of talking to NPC's...

bump

I agree 10000% but also get a new guidebook im surprised no one said anything about my post but oh well.
    with a newer up dated guidebook and a list of the items better explained newbs shouldn't have too many probs . once they know whats what why and so forth. newbs should have a better guide than vets. so they can become vets.

my 2 creds bio