Thread: Roleplay suggestion

Lightbulb Roleplay suggestion

I'll inform you from the start that I am a newbie and only been playing AO for about 1 week. But I have been playing games like this for a long time now.

One thing I miss in the missions are character/career based missions. I play an agent, but I usually end up playing more like an ordinary grunt. Yes I know that I can pose as other proffessions to complement a team.

But isn't an agents job to infiltrate, gather info (spy) and report back to team or mission central(booth). And maybe even assasinate enemy figures.

Infiltration should be used as disguising as an enemy trooper/character and take a look at the layout of the enemy camp/dungeon/house.

And now that the booster pack comes out it can even put a new dimension to the agent life. What about infiltrating an enemy base owned by another organization/guild by posing as one of the members of that guild.

But the agent is not the ojly one who can get "personalized" missions like this. What about the doctor who may have to help a besieged ally in enemy territory for lack of medical aid?

Fixer who needs to repair a machine of some sort for someone while the enemy try to foil the effort.

There might be a lot of other careerbased missions like these.
    Now I feel the only way to solve a mission is to walk into a cave/house kill everything that moves to get the XP and then steal/kill/observe your objective.

For an agent and maybe even an doctor it would maybe be more cruicial to avoid combat in some situations that to slaughter the enemy all the time. Of course it would be rewarded with XP
    "You don't win a war by dying for your country, you win a war by letting the enemy die for his country"
    General Patton

That is interesting, and when I first started playing I thought the same thing. But they I realized the profession names were just that, a 'name'.
    Rookie Reno Renegede Raines
    The Madquack
    Enshroud yourself in darkness to escape the fear.
    Various others 176 Enf, 160 Fixer, 150 MP, 140 Agent, 130 Soldier

Yep. That would be very cool.

Professions can do different things in missions, of course (Agents can sneak them, Fixers can blitz very well, etc.)... but it's not like you're ever going to level by sneaking.

Or blitzing.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Thats a great idea.. especially for Doctors being a heal only doc myself I would love to be able to pull a mission where insted of me going to kill ..my objective would be to heal this person or a group of people within so much time.. or find a medical object and bring it back to be sanitized or whatever..

I just hate having to get on a team all the time , as my only means of getting xp..

well then again I can make plasma ..but who hunts anymore? and if they do ..who as in High Levels saves monster parts?...

I have been on some really awsome teams, more good then bad ..so I can't really complain.. but it would be nice to gain XP in other ways.

This has been suggested several times before. I know you're noobish though so you wouldn't have known.

I think I remember them saying something like they didn't have the tools for making profession-specific missions.

If you're really into roleplaying, I'd suggest joining Division9, Deep Winter Faction, or some other rp guild (if omni). For a rp clan guild... maybe Order of the Rose?. I wouldn't know as I've never been clan.
    Last edited by Talanie; Sep 28th, 2002 at 13:08:54.
    Daren "Talanie" Briggs

Achiever 93% | Killer 73% | Explorer 33% | Socializer 0%

Red face

I like the thought they don't have the tools to make mission profession specific. They are a software company, they make the tools. I've been a software engineer for 20 years, it seem to me PVM is not a Funcom priority. I appear that PVP is getting most tof the attention.

I'm going to rant for a minute. PVP, in paticular 25% supression, should be incedential to the foundation of the game. PVM and PVP 50% supression should be at the core.

The mission logic, I think, is the worst part of the game. It's like play a slot machine. Keep putting quarter in until something good come up. What a waste of time.

Individual missions should be profession specific. Funcom, figure out how to do it. The item reward should be useful to the player. Why would a good commander give a Doctor an Engineer's Nano as a reward. And finally, give mission that make geographical sense. If, unlike a good commander, you are not going to provide good detailed maps, take into account the terrain and MOBs encountered when getting to the mission. Nothing like sending a low level character across the Desert through packs of red mobs.

By the way, I think the Map Navigation is stupid. A good commander would provide all his troops with the best map and navigation system available.