Thread: [RK2] Freelance: Appearance of ICC Rep sparks debate at the Newland City Council

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

[RK2] Freelance: Appearance of ICC Rep sparks debate at the Newland City Council

Appearance of ICC Rep sparks debate at the Newland City Council
    February 13, 29483 - Bret [Rimor]

IRRK Freelance - Newland City (IRRK) - 7th February - ICC Rep Geruf Riechstain approached the Newland City Council with a request for information on the recent attack on an ICC transport which caused debate among the attendees. After the meeting, he gave us his views on the matter.

The Newland City Council was surprised today by the arrival of the ICC representative Gerulf Riechstain at the monthly meeting. Riechstain, who allegedly ignored previous requests to meet with Newland citizens was immediately given the floor by General Hekkat in the absence of the Mayor. The council attendees learned that the reason for his being there was a request for information regarding the recent attack on an ICC shipment.

"We are not sure of the reason for our convoy to be targeted, it's cargo was restricted to standard suupplies and medical supplies for our various Peacekeeper outposts on Rubi-ka. If any of you have information that could lead to finding the culprits, the ICC would be greatly in your debt." Said Mr. Riechstain.

Previous press reports suggest stong evidence that the clan Red Freedom was responsible for the attack in question. Questions and debate about the subject raged through the meeting, including what kind of debt the ICC would be willing to pay for such information. Suggestions ranged from the return of Borealis through weapons to ice-cream.

During the discussion, Mr. Riechstain was heard to say: "I am sure that Omni-Tek would be happy to replace your security force if it is a problem." And debate turned to the motives of the ICC representative's presence at the meeting.

"Is ICC really trying to protect neutral interests after the abandonment of Borealis?" said one neutral citizen after the meeting

"I don't understand this at all, time was wasted debating what should and shouldn't be the subjects of NLCC meetings. But what can Newland citizens possibly tell ICC about that attack that they don't already know?" Another asked, "It's all very su****ious. Surely ICC transports are attacked all the time by smugglers and other criminals. Heck, those huge battlestations get invaded every single day by clan and Omni fighters. So why address the Newland Council about this one event?"

"What was the fuss about? He's just trying to investigate." Said a third

I was able to catch up with Mr Riechstain after the meeting to ask about some of the subjects of debate.

NN: Excuse me, Mr Riechstain is it?

Riechstain: Yes, hello Mr...?

NN: Marlowe, I'm with Newland News..

Riechstain: Ah, I'm pleased to meet you Mr. Marlowe

NN: I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions.

Riechstain: Yes, you can, but I'm afraid that I can't say anything on the record until the ICC releases a statement on the attack on our convoy

NN: Well I was more wondering about some other things.

Riechstain: Ok, I must be careful about anything that you might publish, but you are more than welcome to ask

NN: Your arrival and request today seemed to spark quite a bit of debate for example. Did you anticipate that kind of reaction?

Riechstain: I'm afraid I did not, unfortunately I was not aware that the Newland City community harbored feelings of resentment towards the ICC. I hope that with increased communication I can ease those tensions and reestablish a good relationship

NN: And perhaps you might like to set the record striaght about your comment that some took to be a threat? I assume that's not what you meant by it.

Riechstain: Of course not, I was just trying to illustrate the precarious position that neutral communities, such as Newland City, are in

NN: Could you clarify that a bit for me? What kind of posistion?

Riechstain: The ICC supports these cities in their self-governance, but if they should show themselves unable to do so then the ICC would be unable to stop Omni-Tek from moving in

NN: I see. Is this a situation you feel that Newland is close to?

Riechstain: Of course not, but providing monetary support could certainly give that impression

NN: And I'm sorry to bring this up.. but the subject of Borealis was raised. Is that a situation that Borealis fell into? Unable to govern themselves as a neutral community?

Riechstain: I'm afraid I can't comment to the press on the situation with Borealis, I'm sorry. I can understand the citizens of Newland City being concerned and had no problem discussing it with them during their council meeting.

NN: I understand. And perhaps it wasn't a dicussion relevant to the Newland Council meeting..

Riechstain: Of course the ICC would not ever wish to dictate the subjects talked about in neutral cities's council meetings

NN: But the question was also asked about how your first question about the attack on ICC shipments was relevent to Newland. Was it simply a request for help?

Riechstain: Just a request for information, attacks like this on a peaceful convoy harm everyone on Rubi-Ka. But the ICC is not pressuring anyone for cooperation.

NN: What kind of information were you hoping for?

Riechstain: any kind of evidence that can help us aquire proof of the identity of the criminal organization responsible.

NN: What do you intend to do once you have proof? Is it that proof is a requirement for you to take official action? And if so, what action?

Riechstain: The action remains to be seen, unfortunately I can't comment on hypothetical situations.

NN: What kind of information would you expect form Newland citizens that you don't already have? Just, anything?

Riechstain: Yes, I really can't say what I expect, I suppose I expect nothing, but any information would be helpful

NN: Thank you Mr Riechstain... just one more question if I may..I heard that two or three years ago, citizens of Newland requested your presence for a meeting and you didn't get back to them. Why the sudden interest in Newland?

Riechstain: I'm afraid that I'm unaware of any previous request for a meeting. Perhaps the request got lost, that sometimes happens.

NN: Thank you very much. Sorry to take up so much of your time.

Riechstain: No apologies needed, I'm always happy to speak with the press

NN: Have a good day.

Riechstain: You too.

Bret "Conchord" Marlowe
    Editor, Newland News.
    IRRK Freelancer.

What a load of ignorant crap.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...