Due to the fact that no one knows exactly what benefits will be gained by holding land, I can only guess about cool incentives to search out a guild run tower that is located in the middle of nowhere:

1. Upgradeable research facility – The guild purchases a node or npc scientist that is capable of researching specific technology based on his quality level. Many of the things on his list will be unique and can only be researched once per week. However, after the item is researched it can be made available in the guild quartermaster npc (also purchased separately). Thus, the npc quartermaster and scientist can be captured as the tower falls or killed to stop certain technology from being produced.

2. Data Theft – The npc quartermaster has data disks available in his inventory that can be purchased by the guild holding the tower. These disks can also be stolen by enemy agents who have successfully infiltrated the enemy compound. Imagine an agent searching out an enemy base, stealing a data disk of some newly researched technology, reporting back to his guild leader with the disk as proof, and then assembling a raiding party to either kill or capture the scientist for their own needs.

3. Mining facility – Even if there is no player use for notum, a towered area with a mine node can generate a certain amount of credit by mining that is instantly fed to the guild bank. Destruction of the mine node or capture of the towers would of course cancel this source of income.

4. Factories – A node could be purchased that produces items fed to it thru the use of data disks. These items can be made available in the quartermaster npc or shipped directly to another guilds tower or converted instantly to cash in the guild bank.

In other words, make these tower areas something that will be quite useful to other players besides the jollies of yet another pointless option to pvp. Killing another player just for the sake of doing it is meaningless to me. Killing them to gain access to a unique weapon that only their scientist has knowledge of is enough to make me completely search out a base in an otherwise barren area and plot its downfall.