Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - January 23rd, 2009

Instanced cities = no player shops.

No player shops = more people using shopping channel.

Shopping channel being bombarded by credit spammers = people turning off shopping channel.

People turning off shopping channels + honest people trying to sell stuff = FAIL.

Just a thought.

P.S. Yes, I know there will still be regular cities. But there will be more people joining instanced orgs given the opportunity.

BTW, Means... I'm still waiting for the flying monkeys.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

BTW, Means... I'm still waiting for the flying monkeys.
    Be careful in AO he is god.. he "could" make it fly out of your characters ass...

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    Be careful in AO he is god.. he "could" make it fly out of your characters ass...
    omg, a Klod just flew outta my butt
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    Last time I checked, I was deity. And yah, flying monkeys would be fun, even if they come out of my character's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    omg, a Klod just flew outta my butt
    Awww. Did I broke yer arrow?
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    So I take it this means new zones will be opened up on RK ala Coast of Peace and Tranquility?
    No, it means they're going to make instanced cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

"Profession Balancing Act:

Certain professions currently need more attention than others. We will be conducting a thorough profession review early this year, sharing our findings and acting on them in an upcoming profession "tweak" patch."

Please make sure to look at soldier, they are so nerfed -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Solssss View Post
    Please make sure to look at soldier, they are so nerfed -.-
    As well as NT, Trader, Doctor, Agent, Enforcer....man they are nerfed badly.

Shades and fixers don't need any love imo....they are OP'd lubchilds.

Oh, and MA's need more negative-RS items...we all know MA's irl are super slow.

On the subject of instanced cities, is it too late for a thematic change? An opportunity to turn an alien raid into an entirely new event even city owners will want to check out. No changes in loot or the rates that they drop at, but perhaps the raid existing in a different format. Perhaps something that requires different elements in teaming.

Imagine, out in space. Armoured aliens that need a Lost Eden vehicle to take them down faster than on foot, Or heck screw that, Aliens can build spaceships and weapons, just straight up adds that are vehicles. A new kind of 'zix'. Things that require mines. Things where our most powerful PVP concepts have a use in PVM. Bosses that snare, that root, that AOE nuke. All sorts of neat stuff. Doesn't need to nescessarially be harder, though I'm sure some people would love to face an insurmountable challenge for better drop chances, what the cocoon room was always supposed to be.

Just.. Out in space. Stopping the early and more advanced assault forces of the Kyr'Ozch. While we're all busy stomping Grade II Hacker'Uri's into the ground, the little landing parties slip past our defensive lines, the thematic basis of a city raid - something we old farts wont relate to, but an entirely new line of thought for newcomers post engine.

All it needs is metal floors instead of grass, space sky instead of regular sky, A few Omni-tek Ships (and the Morning Star!) Floating about and a nice convenient NPC to fly you up there.

These instanced cities might not even need to be owned. Just six people, fly up there, do a raid and come home. If its instanced space, is ownership really nescessary? After all it would have no value. Although it would create a minor additional credsink, if ownership had to be paid for and maintained.

Heck, another idea, for extra laziness. A represntative of the Orbital Fabrication guys (Ofab, y'know), want you to defend their battlestation. Which has been invaded by aliens. Bloodtrails all over the walls and floor. A lot of PVPer's just got creamed. Theres a big mother smack bang in the middle and he's nibbling on the console, but hes shielded to buggery by 3 bosses at the other points. Fight your way through, cap the point - I dunno, restoring power or engines or some nonsense. It's a mission objective - with a time limit before Mr Battlestation kills a bunch of froobs by Crashing smack into Old Athen Subway. Surely a complicated machine in a battlestation does more than change a star from red to blue and vice versa. Rince repeat until the bosses defenses are down and the facilities are up. Take out the big mother. 10% bots, blah blah, instanced for 12. The middle point is your exit console. If you die you go to recon, it is still a fully functioning Battlestation.

Grind grind grind. Getting mission completion percentage. Do a good job and survive, you get an OFAB token. Ofab don't care about Omni-Tek, Clan. This ones worth 2000 VP or something.

Ultimately practical from the point of view of not needing to design a new physical area to do this in. The faster and cheaper something new to appease a minority can be built, the more likely it is to happen, right?

Personally I'm rooting for the outdoor space city. Rather than the battlestation thing. It just popped into my head, a few minutes ago. It's hardly a concrete well thought out and considered idea. If it was I'd be yelling about it in Game Suggestions.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Jan 24th, 2009 at 05:50:13.

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    These instanced cities might not even need to be owned.
    They would if you wanted the city buffs.

And anything that re-uses the current BS map is a big debump - it'll confused the poor PvPers who think it's the only zone in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    stuff
    Agreed that we don't really need to see a copy of current AI cities.

However, they're talking about being able to have city advantages. That means city buildings. That means ownership. Naturally they could be a different set of buildings but something your org "owns" for it would still be needed.

Your suggestion is great, and I'd love to see it, but seems to me like new content rather than an instancing of cities.

Building on the idea earlier where you get a nano in your NCU (or just a raidlock) so that you can't hop orgs and chain farm raids (which shouldn't be set in non-instanced "expensive" cities), both the instanced cities and the missions you suggest could have bosses that share same loot tables and both set the same nano.

That way orgs could still buy instanced cities for large raids and for advantages. And un-orged people or people who want to team others could go do non-city missions. With the same shared loot tables ... and the same lockouts.

Just one thing: please don't put these missions in the LE mission environment. I know some people liked them but they just hurt my brain with their look and feel.

Really nice update this friday, Means. (Nothing wrong with the earlier updates but I like the topics addressed in this one)

The Profession balance thing has me a bit worried though because that can go either way as far as I am concerned. I often don't see eye to eye with FC when it comes to balance but that was in the past. Curious how your findings will compare with my own personal experience this time.

Profession balance is always exciting
    Veteran of Equilibrium

I'm Sorry but those AOE Mine Effects seem worthless to an engi with AOE pet snare please try again

Quote Originally Posted by Knyghtfall View Post
    I'm Sorry but those AOE Mine Effects seem worthless to an engi with AOE pet snare please try again
    The mines are not meant for a 1 vs 1 scenario. They are for assisting your side in BS. As an engie you leave them in strategic places and you or others can take advantage of them being there.

The engie and his pets wont be in strategic places at all times but the mines can be.

I think it will be nice if I got an enf chasing me and I see a friendly snare-mine on the ground. I run past the mine and the enf gets snared.

Also cool to plant snares in the doorways to the middle cap-area or right outside the enemies portal to middle to make it harder for the enemy to charge into middle area and take over the place. Strategic placing and all that.

The nanodrain mines seem less useful though. Losing 10k nano wont do much of anything to most professions at 220.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Knyghtfall View Post
    /pet wait ftw?
    If you use /pat wait then you got no pet with you wherever you are and as an engie, it's kinda nice to attack your target with your pet. Also, with 2 mines, you could snare people in 3 locations instead of 1.

Stop complaining about weird things

Having all this said, not all engies use snare-aura on their pets. With mines you could use anti-reflect or whatever on pet and use mines for snare.

If you can't see any advantages to having snare mines then don't use them. No one is forcing you to.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Jan 24th, 2009 at 07:16:56.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Last time i checked the entire point of content upgrades is to give players some kind of advantage. Saying no one is forcing us to use it is beyond silly. Why not remove entire patch forum , if someone doesn't like content upgrade he just wont use it so why bother gathering any feedback right?

Hey, while we are at it why not remove entire forum and Test Server altogether , after all no one is forcing you to play the game either.

That being said, you did propably touch a core of the problem about every Engineer content over last few years.

Of course EVERYONE ELSE will see some advantages of using mines, so why would they care if for Engineer it will be as exciting and interesting as watching grass grow.

Just like team special blockers were forced on us even when entire Engineer community was against it, but again of course EVERYONE ELSE wanted 7 blockers too, and why would they care if its insanely hard to cast, if we suddenly become target #1 to eliminate, if it has zero benefit for ourselves.

Bottom line being, WE also dont care if you like it. I mean, its not even how this works. You are not supposed to like it. You are supposed to make overdramatic ZOMGZ NERF THIS threads in 18.0 forum, claims about how it will kill AO forever included, and we are supposed to laugh at you claiming mines are horribly bad and we will never use them.

Right, this is how content upgrades are sorted out for everyone else.
    Last edited by IHaveHugeNick; Jan 24th, 2009 at 08:38:37.

ISP change: Great news!

Metaing working on engi mines: No offense to Metaing, but that makes me _really_ worried..
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

Thumbs down

These mines in my 4 years of playing an engineer opinion is that they are unless, and will end up unused like hand grenades and some engineer damage perks. how about an DOT or an Nanoskills debuff mine that might be useful. Engineers already have install explosive device and install notum depletion device which is too slow to br effective in ANY form PVP or PVM. I'm expressing my opinion based on my experiences playing the engineer profession. Mines with Snare and Nanopool drain will be completely useless

Well, not every update to the game has to be love or nerf. Some things are put in game because FC thinks it will make the game more fun/interesting.

That was their reasoning for knockbacks for example. It wasn't to give love to professions that needed it. It was to make PvP more interesting and fun, in their eyes.

These mines are another tool that can make PvP more interesting and fun and it just so happens that engies get to control that tool as they see fit.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast