Thread: Regarding the new forum CSS...

Regarding the new forum CSS...

Or at least I hope it's CSS.

To highlight an official post, instead of turning the whole post background into a poor contrast / washed out version of the color we all know and love... how about you stick with the main forum colors and simply block an extra thick outline around the post in gold/yellow?

All you'd need to do is exactly what you're currently doing with CSS and changing the background for FC official posts, and instead change the width and color of the frame surrounding the post instead.

It'll still stick out and be very easy to find, but it won't look so ugly and the contrast will remain the same. (which is easier on the eye balls, since you don't have to adjust your eyes as often).

Also, instead of trying to spell out funcom in a tiny icon in a color that doesn't match anything in the rest of the forum, how about making an icon that looks similar to the ones we can use, but looks like a big FC. We'll get the point without spelling out the entire name, and the color should be something that matches better, like white or gold.

edit! example here!

click me click me click me!
    Last edited by Sterva; Mar 20th, 2009 at 21:42:21.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

The issue is currently being discussed in this thread:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=550049

You may wish to keep the various discussions relatively in one place, for ease of access.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Thanks for the heads up. You'll note, however, that there are a lot of threads regarding the forum changes. Most of them aren't constructive and offer no solid suggestions for how to make it all better. (I mean, just start with the OP of that thread for an example).

I started my own because I wanted to break away from all of the non-constructive posts currently going on.

You'll notice that the thread does become a bit more constructive, and there is some feedback there from someone actually modifying the forums, which is why I directed you there.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Argh! My eyes!
    Biggest lie of the century

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    Make clan PvP zerg-bot is destroy pvp-action in AO.

Tnx!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamin View Post
    Argh! My eyes!
    I concur with this theory of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. You'll note, however, that there are a lot of threads regarding the forum changes. Most of them aren't constructive and offer no solid suggestions for how to make it all better. (I mean, just start with the OP of that thread for an example).

I started my own because I wanted to break away from all of the non-constructive posts currently going on.
    Hey now, I was just getting to the point. It's not for me to fix the forums for them
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

No, that's obviously not what regular customers should spend their time doing (fixing FC mistakes).

But I've done loads of web design (and other kinds of design), and I think I have a way to fix it that everyone will enjoy.

Hence, listen to me!

No, that's obviously not what regular customers should spend their time doing (fixing FC mistakes).

But I've done loads of web design (and other kinds of design), and I think I have a way to fix it that everyone will enjoy.

Hence, listen to me!
    I've done a fair bit myself. That's probably why my reaction was as extreme as it was.

I'm not too forgiving of amateurishness when it comes to things that many MANY people will see.

I'd have been skinned alive if I'd made such changes to live content in some of my previous employment especially if I'd gone home and left it in such a way until the following day.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Here's a mockup of what I'm suggesting.

Gief me access to the .css style sheet and I will even do it myself in about 30 seconds.

click to see a mockup... sorry about the image quality, at a computer with no photoshop.

You can readily compare that to the current way it looks in this thread.

Simply changing the color of the frame, and perhaps the width by a pixel or so is more than enough for someone to instantly spot a FC official post while quickly scrolling through an entire page of other posts.

Here's a mockup of what I'm suggesting.

Gief me access to the .css style sheet and I will even do it myself in about 30 seconds.

click to see a mockup... sorry about the image quality, at a computer with no photoshop.

You can readily compare that to the current way it looks in this thread.

Simply changing the color of the frame, and perhaps the width by a pixel or so is more than enough for someone to instantly spot a FC official post while quickly scrolling through an entire page of other posts.
    Much better.

Though I'd make it so that the added thickness only intrudes inside the frame, rather than outside as well. So it all still lines up, so to speak.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

you don't even want to know what I had to do to produce that mockup.

mspaint ftw!

Like I said, that image isn't perfect, but anyone familiar with css should know exactly what I'm talking about, and that's a pretty good visual for how I think it should look, even though the lines aren't perfect.

you don't even want to know what I had to do to produce that mockup.

mspaint ftw!

Like I said, that image isn't perfect, but anyone familiar with css should know exactly what I'm talking about, and that's a pretty good visual for how I think it should look, even though the lines aren't perfect.
    Lol

I'm not sure if vBulletin uses a CSS file directly or if it's all set in a control panel somewhere, where the CSS/colouring is then dynamically generated.

Looking at the source for this page it might be dynamically generated from settings applied in the control panel. Depending on how much hackery they want to do they might be limited.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

afaik you can specify additional .css info within the vbulletin css editor.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/stylemanager_css

I've never managed a vbulletin forum though, so my understanding of it is limited to the last 2 minutes of googling. HOWEVER, regardless of how the css is injected or stored, it should be editable, and that edit is an easy one (especially for anyone qualified to run a board for as many users as are in AO).

Edit: under Extra CSS Attributes, they even have examples of precisely what I'm suggesting.
    Last edited by Sterva; Mar 20th, 2009 at 22:00:13.

As already said please keep this to the post on Tech Help. Going to close this down we don't need all these posts on the same subject
    Director Bekrowe
    ARK Community Relations
    Public Forums Moderator
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

:: Social Guidelines ::
    :: Ark Public Website :: Social Events with ARK :: Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry :: ARK Tours :: Join ARK!