Thread: OOC: Roleplay Barcrawl

OOC: Roleplay Barcrawl

In my opinion over the last few months, maybe longer there has been a downturn in general roleplay within the game.
    I would like to make it plain that i know ive missed all the Greencloaks meetings pretty much (due to real life things) so i have no idea of what has been talked about there, or suggested.

The Barcrawl
    What i propose is that every week there is an hour in which people know they can go to a certain bar/cafe/club where there are going to be others to roleplay with.
    What i would hope for is a relaxed atmosphere were

This would;
    Increase roleplaying as a whole.
    Make it easier for newer, less experienced people to become involved.
    Create links and ties between players, in the hope of instigating further roleplay, outside of these...drinking sessions.

Week 1 beginning on saturday 31st of January at 21:00GMT/UTC. Meeting Outside Neuters R Us, Newland City.

In future weeks the location would change.

I am very interested in other peoples opinions and suggestions on this, and would actually like to see something like this happen.

PS, If ARK decided to turn up for this as well, i would ask them to try and get as many people involved from the community.
    Last edited by Lasliana; Jan 20th, 2009 at 13:19:47.

Yeah, it's been really quiet apart from a few fairly closed ongoing plotlines and people don't seem to have much initiative themselves to start off new ones. Having roleplayers go out and about and mingle would definitely help the situation too - I'd really love to get involved with more people and it'd be easily done if RPers took a moment out of their day and e.g. walked around Borealis or Newland in character. But in my book, anything that gets players together in one place is good. It's no fun being a criminal when there's nobody to rob or beat up or blackmail, and there are no other criminals either to co-operate with, outside Black-Net.

Passively waiting for someone to do something somewhere will most definitely not help improve the downturn.

*criez* not the barcrawling again.... long ago so many ppl looked down on RPing cause all we did was pack up in bars... what we need to do is just read lots & lots of chitchat magazines (makes chitchat rich u know ) or talk on C42 moar, and try to do some events, like sacrificing agrestus to the unicorns on the dish to please OT or so, u know, the usual

i'll start something new myself soon so keep yourself posted on chitchat magazine editions

edit: other criminals = i can list a few
    Last edited by juksrz; Jan 18th, 2009 at 11:46:13.

Quote Originally Posted by juksrz View Post
    *criez* not the barcrawling again.... long ago so many ppl looked down on RPing cause all we did was pack up in bars... what we need to do is just read lots & lots of chitchat magazines (makes chitchat rich u know ) or talk on C42 moar, and try to do some events, like sacrificing agrestus to the unicorns on the dish to please OT or so, u know, the usual

i'll start something new myself soon so keep yourself posted on chitchat magazine editions

edit: other criminals = i can list a few
    I gotta admit that there isn't a lot of plaer RP to start with atm (besides RuR, they are like Duracell), plus little buggers never check bars so they won't know.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

There are plots going on here and there and some of them are very long-running ones. It's not even too hard to get involved, you just gotta run into the right people at the right time and that means you gotta get out there and keep your eyes open. Poking your nose into others' businesses always yields RP-tastic results, even if the characters themselves might be unfriendly. OOC, we're all really hoping to see more players get involved.

It's a mosaic. No one measure will "save" roleplaying, but everything helps. Putting a bunch of roleplayers under one roof one its own doesn't do much, but it does provide a platform to support existing roleplaying strands.

The downturn in roleplaying is nothhing new. It has been going on for years. Back in 2003 there were some 70 orgs with an interest in roleplaying, some rather large ones. Now there less than ten and somne are very, very small. It's no one's fault, just a reflection of AO's overall decline which in turn is a function of age. Al players can do is adapt.

But whatever you do, make sure you put it on AOU event calendar which means it will be advertised via Ch42.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasliana View Post
    In What i propose is that every week there is an hour in which people know they can go to a certain bar/cafe/club where there are going to be others to roleplay with.
    I can't hold my liquor well. could we possibly extend it to other locations? Or am I too enthousiastic now?
    --Victor "Eeod" Linear. R.U.R. Engineer --
    Hath not a machine gears?
    Hath not a machine cogs, racks, pinions, cutters, bearings, spindles?
    Fed with the same electric, hurt with the same bits of grit getting in our works, subject to the same gremlins, healed by the same brute force, ignorance and big hammer as a human is?
    If you program us, do we not manufacture?
    If you take us apart, do we not shoot springs all over the floor?
    If you oil us, do we not purr?
    And if you ignore us.......... Do we not get ideas?

Thanks for the replies.

Mirura: Thanks for the support, i understand that there are plotlines ongoing, and i have managed to talk to two groups, about this so far (Black-Net and DoI) they will both be sending people to this. (I hope to talk to Lasal/Salivice as well to see if O.N.E people may turn up).

juksrz: At the moment i see a fair few new clanners on CH42, yet in my opinon they seem slightly aimless and in need of some direction and support maybe.
    And yes Chit Chat is a laugh for getting 'news' around but it isnt hugely based on actual events, more on an over active imaginative mind and taking things to the extreme in a totally random funny direction.

Dabblez: I do agree, there is no one solution to save roleplaying.
    But i do think that stuffing so many roleplayers of differing views, factions and so on will cause someone to say something and start a debate, discussion or maybe even an argument.
    I also do agree that there has been a downturn as with all of AO in numbers, (which can be expected) but i reckon there are plenty of people still out there who might be interested in roleplaying, who this might pull out of the woodwork.
    I am wanting to get it onto AO-Universe's calendar as well, just wanted peoples opinions on this before i actually formally put it out there.

Eeod: Your a great RPer, drink coffee then Neuters serves it if i remeber correctly, theres nothing to say you have to drink.
    And yes other locations are possible, i was thinking, Neuters R Us, The Cup, Rompa's, Reets Retreat, The Happy Rebel, Baboons, since these are sociable areas, but suggestions for other locations are very welcome.

As it stands i will be putting it onto the Ao-Universe calendar on tuesday, to go ahead on,
    saturday 31st of January at 21:00GMT/UTC. Meeting at Neuters R Us, Newland City.
    Last edited by Lasliana; Jan 18th, 2009 at 23:57:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasliana View Post
    In my opinion over the last few months, maybe longer there has been a downturn in general roleplay within the game.
    I would like to make it plain that i know ive missed all the Greencloaks meetings pretty much (due to real life things) so i have no idea of what has been talked about there, or suggested.

The Barcrawl
    What i propose is that every week there is an hour in which people know they can go to a certain bar/cafe/club where there are going to be others to roleplay with.
    What i would hope for is a relaxed atmosphere were

This would;
    Increase roleplaying as a whole.
    Make it easier for newer, less experienced people to become involved.
    Create links and ties between players, in the hope of instigating further roleplay, outside of these...drinking sessions.

Eg. Week 1 beginning on saturday 31st of January at 21:00GMT/UTC. Meeting at Neuters R Us, Newland City.
    In future weeks the location would change.

I am very interested in other peoples opinions and suggestions on this, and would actually like to see something like this happen.

PS, If ARK decided to turn up for this as well, i would ask them to try and get as many people involved from the community.
    For logs of Greencloak meetings, check out the Roleplaying forum at AO Universe.

I doubt it will bring in new faces, but it sounds fun.
    I would also like to see other locations out in the open as well.
    My reason for this:
    Everytime we try to boost rp, all rp'ers run to the nearest club and hide. That dosen't bring new players in and I guess that is part of the reason for doing this.
    The last festival we had was supposed to bring new players into rp, but Bor have never been so deserted for rp'ers. There were countless messages in ch42 like "lets meet in Reets for a drink", but not a single "lets meet outside fairtrade" or some location where new players hang out.
    So good idea, and I would like to join in, but I doubt it would add to the rp playerbase.
    What it will do is help players that is already into rp to find new people to play with, and that is also good
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

bump

If Im on, Ill come
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Updated my first post and i have added it to the Ao-Universe calendar.

Bump, and smashing idea, I'll try my best to be there!

That's what roleplayers need sometimes, a good spank and a push to get some sort of interaction going.
    Last edited by Agrestus; Jan 20th, 2009 at 19:25:10.

Humm, Ill try to get there too. Sounds nice

This has excellent potential for some Drunk and Disorderly arres... errrrrr.... fun and happy times. Yes!

Great idea, I'll try and be there, work and schedule permitting
    Hellcom "Stillian" Receptionist | Eternalist | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Agent "Lilmiz007" Isbeak | Finalizer | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Style "Heldale" Attack | General | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution

|| Primal Evolution ||