Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday With Means - January 16th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    It's been said by other far more knowledgeable people on the forums that a new physics engine is -possible- with the new rendering engine FC are using.

I have no idea if it'll happen that way or not though.
    I'd have to hear from those "far more knowledgeable people", because I'm personally using Ogre and it's just a rendering engine, nothing more.

You do know collision is a server-side thing right (though possible some client side checks for dead reckoning)

It's an isolated thing. The graphics engine and collision don't relate to each other.

You might not want to throw "far more knowledgeable people" at me too often :P
    I know there's several that infact are, but there's plenty that only claim they are and have zero experience in actual game development.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jan 16th, 2009 at 23:15:24.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Your mother must be so proud...
    But ofc

It's a graphics engine.
    It's been said by other far more knowledgeable people on the forums that a new physics engine is -possible- with the new rendering engine FC are using.

I have no idea if it'll happen that way or not though.

First of all I must post my qualifications on this subject...zero, I know next to nothing about coding, I am hardware.

However I do read these forums a lot and have been under the impression engine will be responsible for everything in the game. We are not getting new textures etc, they are redoing casting apparently and may look at other stuff in the future.
    The current engine AO runs on, would it even have a physics engine? Seems to me all the physics we see currently is simple animations, no actual physics engines involved. But again I have posted my qualifications and could be totally wrong...educate me!
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Man knock back shotguns would have been nice

Maybe now that knockback wont work you could attempt a KnockDOWN code work. Since it wouldnt actually move the player just knock them down for a second so they couldnt do stuff while they get up from it.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Rustinel View Post
    However I do read these forums a lot and have been under the impression engine will be responsible for everything in the game. We are not getting new textures etc, they are redoing casting apparently and may look at other stuff in the future.
    The current engine AO runs on, would it even have a physics engine? Seems to me all the physics we see currently is simple animations, no actual physics engines involved. But again I have posted my qualifications and could be totally wrong...educate me!
    I'll educate you

FC is implementing Ogre as their new rendering engine.
    Ogre is a rendering engine. Just that and nothing more.

FC might be overhauling different parts of code while doing this, but it would be unlikely.
    Additionally, most important aspects of the collision are done server-side, which is completely isolated from the client code which furthermore suggests the new engine has nothing to do with collision in general.
    Formerly Vhab.

I'd have to hear from those "far more knowledgeable people", because I'm personally using Ogre and it's just a rendering engine, nothing more.

You do know collision is a server-side thing right (though possible some client side checks for dead reckoning)

It's an isolated thing. The graphics engine and collision don't relate to each other.

You might not want to throw "far more knowledgeable people" at me too often :P
    I know there's several that infact are, but there's plenty that only claim they are and
    have zero experience in actual game development.
    It was actually you that I -thought- I was remembering saying something about that.

Anyway, my bad. I read that graphics engine thread where you thoroughly schooled some idiot, I must be inaccurately recalling something. I could have sworn you said something about physics...I guess not
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

I'll educate you

FC is implementing Ogre as their new rendering engine.
    Ogre is a rendering engine. Just that and nothing more.

FC might be overhauling different parts of code while doing this, but it would be unlikely.
    Additionally, most important aspects of the collision are done server-side, which is completely isolated from the client code which furthermore suggests the new engine has nothing to do with collision in general.
    Thank you

I think they said they are redoing casting but nothing more for now. I wonder if that includes perk execution, they seem very similar.

So from what you are saying Knockbacks will never be implemented?
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

So from what you are saying Knockbacks will never be implemented?
    Not exactly. I'm more saying the current effort being made for improved graphics won't affect the collision detection.

I think due to time constraints and resource management they might postpone knockback but I truly hope they consider reimplementing collision detection (possibly using one of the many really nicely optimized packages available).

Infact, I believe their current willingness to use 3rd party libraries (Ogre) might make it more likely for them to reimplement collision using a 3rd party library (Havok, PhysX, ODE, Bullet, etc).
    I hope they will, they'll open up new doors along the way.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jan 16th, 2009 at 23:26:47.
    Formerly Vhab.

Not exactly. I'm more saying the current effort being made for improved graphics won't affect the collision detection.

I think due to time constraints and resource management they might postpone knockback but I truly hope they consider reimplementing collision detection (possibly using one of the many really nicely optimized packages available).

Infact, I believe their current willingness to use 3rd party libraries (Ogre) might make it more likely for them to reimplement collision using a 3rd party library (Havok, PhysX, ODE, Bullet, etc).

Ok Means, I know you are probably busy ironing your shirt for tomorow etc but please hire Vhab and put him at work right away!

Or the doll gets it....
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Ok Means, I know you are probably busy ironing your shirt for tomorow etc but please hire Vhab and put him at work right away!
    You know... it's awfully cold out there!
    Formerly Vhab.

I hope they will, they'll open up new doors along the way.
    WTB Chair I can Sit in!
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

You know... it's awfully cold out there!
    I'm willing to bet Means does a sideline in hamster-fur coats.

He probably tells AO players who buy them its leet fur.
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Do leets have fur? that would be cool!
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Do leets have fur? that would be cool!
    Thankfully I have never seen a shaved leet...
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

I'm willing to bet Means does a sideline in hamster-fur coats.

He probably tells AO players who buy them its leet fur.
    Mmm hamster-fur coats.

Really though. FC won't offer and I won't take it
    I got my own fun stuff brewing over here.
    Formerly Vhab.

I think they said they are redoing casting but nothing more for now.
    I'm pretty sure that any reference to workload regarding casting was that they needed to redo all the nano effects, purely a visual thing.

Mmm hamster-fur coats.

Really though. FC won't offer and I won't take it
    I got my own fun stuff brewing over here.
    You're missing an "a" in your sig.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

You're missing an "a" in your sig.
    I'm not :P
    Formerly Vhab.

The new OS is looking very promising. Looking forward to testing it!

Hmm,snare after knocback,so omnis don´t need wasting their SB3 roots,we have to do only two OSs in row,nice and easy

I'm not :P
    "so I became game developer"

If you're referring to "game developer" as a (proper) noun then it should be capitalised.

Otherwise, you "became a game developer".

Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast