Thread: "Bring back" items disappearing after mission is deleted

"Bring back" items disappearing after mission is deleted

The items that you return to terminals, the "bring back" missions, do work when you complete the mission. But say that you want to forgo the mission reward and keep the item, especially if it's a senpai cloak or non-store nano?

Well, with a cloak specifically, the item you were supposed to return disappears from your inventory after the mission times out or if the mission is deleted.

If you give the item to another person and delete the mission, the item will disappear the other individual's inventory.

I tested this with a guild mate, so it's true. With those impossible to find new nanos, I suspect you may be able to upload the nano before the mission times out/is deleted, but I have not tested this.

Is this intentional? If so, I can only ask that these items be provided as NORMAL mission prizes, so we don't have to "exploit" to get them.

If anybody has found missions that offer these rare items as the actual reward for successful completion, please let me know.

Anyway, I seem to recall that a while back, people were keeping the sentinels/knights armor they would receive as the item to bring back, and this was dubbed an exploit, but perhaps because that armor was never supposed to be in the game for players.

At any rate, just wanted to give people a heads up and warn that those senpai tertius, secundus and primus cloaks may just disappear from your inventory if they were found as a return item. Just be wary of people selling these items after today. I tried to ask a person how he got a q116 primus cloak, and he was kind of shady about it. Of course, if the item was found before today, or it was an actual mission prize, then no need to worry -- won't disappear.

- Miso/Fren/Yards

Yes. This has been the behavior for a long time now. At least since 12.4 if I recall correctly. Since the intent of these missions is to return the stolen item to the terminal, it would seem to make sense that you don't get to keep the stolen item.

"If anybody has found missions that offer these rare items as the actual reward for successful completion, please let me know."

What you want to do is the "find item" missions (eye over cube when using max money / max bad) and not the "return item" missions. With a "find item" missons, once you find the item you get to keep it and the mission reward.

I have seen those cloaks and nano cystals that aren't sold in stores as the item to be observed / found in "find item" missions. I think all non store nano are available as mission rewards. Are there specific ones you are finding that you can't get?

Originally posted by Ampris
    Yes. This has been the behavior for a long time now. At least since 12.4 if I recall correctly. Since the intent of these missions is to return the stolen item to the terminal, it would seem to make sense that you don't get to keep the stolen item.
    I have to disagree with you here. Lots of my friends, pre 13.X (today), were keeping those coveted senpai cloaks that were the items to be returned and giving them away/selling them. Now they disappear and are worthless after the mission times out/is deleted. This was not the case before today.
    I have seen those cloaks and nano cystals that aren't sold in stores as the item to be observed / found in "find item" missions. I think all non store nano are available as mission rewards. Are there specific ones you are finding that you can't get?
    Okay, you answered my question. I was wondering if you can get these items from missions other than the "retrieve/return" types. But since "find item" missions aren't working, you'll probably get the cloak/nano and that's it. No money or token.

As for nanos, I was specifically referring to the new engineer NPs that are not available in shops. My boyfriend needs them, and so far he's only been able to get them by keeping them instead of returning them to the mission terminal. He hasn't seen them as an actual reward for completion.

Edit: I don't remember the little blurbs about "describe item" missions, but it would seem logical to say that after you describe the item, it disappears? And does this happen? I've never been in a position/level to "farm" rare items, so I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Misophist; Nov 16th, 2001 at 23:43:31.

Well, I think that if you did go and delete the mission key before completing a "find item" mission, that the mission objective sitting somewere on the floor of the mission map would get deleted. I've not tried that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it worked that way.

So I think they delete the mission icon, mission key and mission objective when the mission expires or gets deleted before you complete the mission.

"but it would seem logical to say that after you describe the item, it disappears?"

Why would simply looking at or picking something up cause it to vanish? Unlike a retrieve item mission, the mission giver of a find item misison doesn't want the item itself.
    Last edited by Ampris; Nov 17th, 2001 at 01:31:32.

Originally posted by Ampris
    Why would simply looking at or picking something up cause it to vanish? Unlike a retrieve item mission, the mission giver of a find item misison doesn't want the item itself.
    I don't know, that's what I was asking. Can't remember if the person wants the item we have to describe or what. I know it didn't disappear before, and I guess they're not disappearing now.

The original point of this post is that there's a new little twist pertinent to those who farm senpai cloaks, among other things, by keeping the item that needs to be brought back to the terminal.

Before, they didn't disappear after the mission times out/is deleted. Now they do.

If there's another way to get these items, I don't really care, my post is moot. However... from previous experience, a lot of my buddies have done missions that ask you to return a popular item to the terminal and just don't return it. They would sell the items to other players for premium prices and not cry about losing the mission money.

If people are selling senpai cloaks farmed in this manner, for prices 3 million and up, I can see folks getting REALLY angry when their shiny new cloak disappears from their inventory after their "dealer" deletes the mission he used to get the item.

Which brings up another question: will the cloaks disappear if you're wearing them? I only tested it with a cloak in my inventory. A cloak that another player got as the "return" item for a mission and gave to me to test this very problem. He deleted the mission and the cloak went poof from MY inventory.

Blah, I type to much. But I do see this as a potential problem.
    Last edited by Misophist; Nov 17th, 2001 at 02:52:18.
    Babette, Frenetic, Misophist, Yardleigh.
    "I am the queen of France!!!"

Rejected.
    Ah, L'Amour!
    Bitter Films