Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 19th, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    Happy Holidays and have a great vacation to all the FunCom staff (but not the servers hampsters!), you deserve it.

I have a question, or rather a request, for the next Friday with Means too:

I feel kinda bad saying this, but can you please confirm that FunCom staff still look into the Game Suggestions forum?

It's just... the utter lack of responce from FunCom in there is rather disheartening. I know you said at the begining you wouldn't reply to every post, but I have never seen an official responce in there once. Ever. At all. Even to say that an idea is utterly impossible under the game engine and we should stop talking about it.

Just knowing that the devs still take ideas from it would be great, thanks
    What I wanna know is why, with their ideology of not posting in game suggestions, does a game suggestion pasted in 18.0 get a 'official' response while it's (near exact) copy in game suggestions sits ignored?

If you have a policy that you don't respond to game suggestions don't respond to them, don't just avoid that section of the forum and act all surprised at this new idea that popped up in xx.x Update forum and respond to it even if it's actual an old idea and a game suggestion.

It makes me wonder too, do they even read it? Because if game suggestions are being responded to in the update forum but not game suggestions forum it isn't due to any policy of not responding to ideas, it's some policy that the game suggestions forum is taboo and to be avoided.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Of course they read game suggestions. Look, newbie island rehabilitation and MP pets. See, it's easy, get your suggestion to 1k bumps and they'll do it!
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Of course they read game suggestions. Look, newbie island rehabilitation and MP pets. See, it's easy, get your suggestion to 1k bumps and they'll do it!
    Both came from patch forums too
    i R not spik engrish

Quote Originally Posted by SSK View Post
    Both came from patch forums too
    or it could have come from Professionals whining about them.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    What I wanna know is why, with their ideology of not posting in game suggestions, does a game suggestion pasted in 18.0 get a 'official' response while it's (near exact) copy in game suggestions sits ignored?

If you have a policy that you don't respond to game suggestions don't respond to them, don't just avoid that section of the forum and act all surprised at this new idea that popped up in xx.x Update forum and respond to it even if it's actual an old idea and a game suggestion.

It makes me wonder too, do they even read it? Because if game suggestions are being responded to in the update forum but not game suggestions forum it isn't due to any policy of not responding to ideas, it's some policy that the game suggestions forum is taboo and to be avoided.
    I don't think Game Suggestions is ignored. In fact a lot of the evolutions of the game in the past came directly from it. Don't think FC can accommodate all the suggestions made there though, and for sure bumping ad nauseam, won't help. Posting suggestions in 18.0 doesn't make a suggestion become a reality any faster I think. However, imo, 18.0 is more prone for interaction, and that's why we see more FC responding there than in GS.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    or it could have come from Professionals whining about them.
    neehhh...
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Yeah, seriously they do read them. I complained about how vets didn't have access to the light bar (and with how dark the game gets in certain areas the light bar makes a huge difference) and it took a year, with a thread and bumping it regularly, for them to add a light bar quest in Nascene (for shades and keepers) and then ultimately in Inferno. Takes time, but it will happen when it happens.

Happy Holidays

Means, I hope you and the rest of the FC/AO staff have a wonderful holiday.

Thanks so much for all your efforts. It's not easy makin' such a diverse community happy. So, here's hopin' you enjoy some happiness of your own.
    ***My attention may be easy to get, but can you hold it?***

I am pretty sure they read the game suggestions. This is apparent when you see the list of suggestions that have been implemented at http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=481391

heya
    would be cool to get some new information on what is going to happen to the "craphander" esp for fixers as my main is one.
    thanks in advance and keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by streppelchen View Post
    heya
    would be cool to get some new information on what is going to happen to the "craphander" esp for fixers as my main is one.
    thanks in advance and keep up the good work
    ya and some info about what you give to the prof who get nothing at the moment , please
    Last edited by flyinguns; Dec 24th, 2008 at 01:43:35.
    A suggestion to remove ranged advy full auto problem : http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=529754

pistol are now for dot user , Ranged advy need revolver :

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...6&postcount=21

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    It's just... the utter lack of responce from FunCom in there is rather disheartening. I know you said at the begining you wouldn't reply to every post, but I have never seen an official responce in there once. Ever. At all. Even to say that an idea is utterly impossible under the game engine and we should stop talking about it.
    For someone who posts most of their posts in game suggestions, how can you not know how that section of the forum works?

FC will never respond to Game Suggestions. Two reasons:

A) Theres never a right answer. If FC signs off on one persons ideas, then everyone else asks why their one didnt warrant a response. Or anyone who disagrees with it has an opinion.

B) It pollutes ideas. Once a bluename chimes in, the thread suggestion/idea/concept will no longer be about the original post, but about what the bluename said. So their lack of involvement is to not taint the posts.

How game suggestions work is our Community Manager (Famine) or possibly someone else high up on the board reads every single post on these forums. That's his job. He is paid by the hour to read our drivel. Every single professional thread. All game suggestions. All knowledge database/game mechanics (probably). I believe he probably gets a reprieve from the LOR's and shopping and all that stuff.

He then filters out all the crap. To the best of my knowledge this is a judgement call. This doesnt nescessarially mean that threads in their entirety dont get passed through this human filter and make it out the other side.

He then takes consise written ideas up the ladder to people who can effect change. Then it is up to them to choose what is acted on and what isnt. You'll never see any kind of response. Look for your game suggestions in various patch notes - thats the response you'll get, if your ideas were worthy.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Dec 28th, 2008 at 00:19:26.

Good post Egad...bump for J00
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    For someone who posts most of their posts in game suggestions, how can you not know how that section of the forum works?

A) Theres never a right answer. If FC signs off on one persons ideas, then everyone else asks why their one didnt warrant a response. Or anyone who disagrees with it has an opinion.

B) It pollutes ideas. Once a bluename chimes in, the thread suggestion/idea/concept will no longer be about the original post, but about what the bluename said. So their lack of involvement is to not taint the posts.

How game suggestions work is our Community Manager (Famine) or possibly someone else high up on the board reads every single post on these forums. That's his job. He is paid by the hour to read our drivel. Every single professional thread. All game suggestions. All knowledge database/game mechanics (probably). I believe he probably gets a reprieve from the LOR's and shopping and all that stuff.

He then filters out all the crap. To the best of my knowledge this is a judgement call. This doesnt nescessarially mean that threads in their entirety dont get passed through this human filter and make it out the other side.

He then takes consise written ideas up the ladder to people who can effect change. Then it is up to them to choose what is acted on and what isnt. You'll never see any kind of response. Look for your game suggestions in various patch notes - thats the response you'll get, if your ideas were worthy.
    damn Egads you sure know FC. You talk like you work there.

damn Egads you sure know FC. You talk like you work there. Really stop spewing bs and pretending to be right. You have no more knowledge on this matter than anyone else that plays this game.

I asked Famine once, on IRC. Most of the people that directly work on Anarchy Online are completely accessable, one on one.

This was in late 2006, immediately after the launch of Lost Eden, Famine looked in on a thread in the MP forums and posted several times. It was general Lost Eden feedback. Since he was posting in it, I wrote a big long winded response directly about the OFAB Tiger MK6. I was severely disappointed that for all my time and calcs I didn't get a response to this particular post, so I chased him down on IRC and clubbed him to death like he was a baby seal.

He explained the whole taint thing via IRC, and we had a pleasant conversation about the issue. At least it was pleasant for me. Very soothing - and a convincing argument, regarding forum taint. He also explained exactly what his job entailed - reading every topic ever written.

At the time, I was a lot of like you, a pain in the ass convinced that FC never read anything and never did anything and blah blah blah. Was really quite chuffed that he took 20 minutes out of his day to calm a single persons jitters.

Ultimately the response to all of the feedback on the issue at the time at least contributed to the Dreadloch Tigress in some way. If it wasnt solely responsible for its creation, it definately played a big part in its requirements.

So I guess right now, spewing bs and pretending to be right is relaying first hand information and of course actually being right. On your bike, kid. As for working for FC, I doubt they'd even take me on for basic ARK greeting duties - heaven forbid a working wage. You need a blemish-free account, which I do not have. At least that's the talk around the watercooler.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Dec 28th, 2008 at 15:30:26.

I disagree with this.

It is true that many people will talk about what the blue name said once they say something and not talk about the origional post, but there will still be some people who talk about the origional post.

Also, all ideas will go through a FC employee anyway, and it will be their interpretation which gets introduced to the devs, so why not have their alterations and ideas down in the forum where everyone can see them (time permitting, of course) ?

To end on a positive note though, it's great to know that Famine (or somebody else) does infact read all of the dribble that we post there.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Ultimately the response to all of the feedback on the issue at the time at least contributed to the Dreadloch Tigress in some way. If it wasnt solely responsible for its creation, it definately played a big part in its requirements.
    Ah, so you're the one responsible for that abomination...
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Me? No. Wouldnt presume to think that my page and a half of rambling was, by itself, any factor that gave MP's that most fabled of weapons - something locked to them with aim shot on it. This was the result of Famine/Devs listening to a lot of MP's talking about the Ofab Tiger. Metaing was on the dev team that early, if thats a factor. (Edit: This is incorrect. He merely posted in the thread at the time, his forum status has been upgraded since then, and carries over to all posts. A misunderstanding on my part, while skimming the old thread and writing this post.) Several LE weapon changes happened at this time, such as the trader lock on the Ofab Silverback, and the requirement adjustments for the Ofab Hawk. And probably a lot of the Dreadloch weapons came about as a result of feedback.

Guess agents missed out. You were too small or something.

Scad; then disagree. Have fun disagreeing. I'm not venturing an opinion here. I'm straight up telling you the policy. It's a fact. Deal with it.

"Game Suggestions
    The place to bring your game ideas to Funcom and the community, and see what others propose. Note that we can't reply to all - or even most - suggestions."
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Dec 29th, 2008 at 22:55:34. Reason: An error in my post has been corrected.

Scad; then disagree. Have fun disagreeing. I'm not venturing an opinion here. I'm straight up telling you the policy. It's a fact.
    In that case, thank you for bringing that policy to our attention, and to any Devs or other FunCom staff that are listening, I disagree with your policy (and have given my reasons why) :P

"Game Suggestions
    The place to bring your game ideas to Funcom and the community, and see what others propose. Note that we can't reply to all - or even most - suggestions."
    This is the point I am trying to make, FunCom have that post saying they can't reply to most suggestions, yet they don't reply to any. It has become apparent in this thread that FunCom do indeed listen to the Game Sugestions forum and that I'm just too new to remmber many of those changes, but if it is their policy to not respond to Game Suggestions (as stated in your quote) then it still leaves me mystified why they imply that they will reply to a small amount of suggestions and why they reply to suggestions made in the current patch forum.
    Mabey it is different people looking at the different forums, mabey that notice from the Game Suggestions forum was written before a change in policy, but there is still some discrepency there which, in my opinion, FunCom should take a look at.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast