Thread: Borealis Decay

Borealis Decay

Since the arrival of Omni-Tek occupation forces in May of 29480, overall condition of the city declined at a slow rate to give a conservative and respected opinion, many of my colleagues would say the **** hit the fan as far as conditions are concerned. I still visit my home city every once in a while and on my last visit, as a rollerrat killed a second victim within city limits, I was compelled to say something regarding the issue.

Borealis is no longer a city, it has become a carcass of civilization; ripe with crime, poverty, and death. The situation has declined so far as to cause death of inhabitants from disease and simple animal attacks. Ka is reclaiming the city more and more as the occupation by Omni-Tek continues. As a local Photograph from a propaganda poster illustrates, could become foreshadowing of life in Borealis.

It has been well over a years time since I brought a reminder of the issue up with the Council of Truth and seeing fit as the author of the proposal I shall release the papers publicly.

... Borealis is a very special place to me. My family has had its history planted in what used to be a small mining camp. I grew up there and always visited frequently. Recently however after the occupation of Omni personnel dragged on too long, it has been declared that Borealis is to be treated as any Omni-Tek city. With that said my curiosity has been set free.
    Over a year ago Omni-Tek Rushed in unannounced during a blackout and swiftly overran what little defenses were in place. Omni has not been removed even to this date. That is not what make me curious. What sparks my query is why an ordinary civil satellite relay dish was of such sudden importance. That dish has spent years atop that hill with little more than a monthly visit by a cleaning crew to brush away the dust and small amounts of rust that would collect around the bolts of the catwalk spanning the dish. Why would Omni-Tek launch such an overkill of forces to seize something that for all purpose, is unprotected and not under any danger of attack? They claim the dish was in much need of protection for the civil systems. At the time it was primary focus to eject Omnis from the area rather than to ask why they suddenly needed to protect such a meaningless sector of property.
    With the council deciding to remain neutral this question I dare not ask as it would involve a group that would likely have worked with the omnis than to work with us against the people holding guns on their street. Now that the council has decided to permit clans to engage operations within Borealis, I wonder if we can't get some equipment out to that dish to see just what signals are truly being sent and received. Something tells me it is more than just Billy's comrelay call to grandma. ...
    Omni-Teks presence has shown to be counter productive to their mission statement, resulting in a spiraling rate of crime and civil disorder. Omni-Tek has plots and hidden agendas, changing mission statements and redirecting public sight with creative PR monologues. This must change. This is not a program of clan recruitment, this is a notice to Omni-Tek and CoT, the situation is becoming personal.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

It is true that the Omni take over of Borealis is deeply, deeply unpopular among the local population. Furthermore, by blocking the mayoral elections, Omni-Tech has taken away the right of self-government from the people of Borealis.

However I don't really agree with the overall picture you paint.

Over a year ago Omni-Tek Rushed in unannounced during a blackout and swiftly overran what little defences were in place.
    That is inaccurate. Omni-Tek did not take Borealis by force. There was no battle between Omni-Tek forces and ICC Peacekeepers. That is because an agreement had already been reached between Omni-Tek and the ICC to handover the defence of the city.

That was all done without consulting the local Borealis population is a betrayal for sure. But the only reason this could have happened is that the people of Borealis failed to take responsibility of their own security and, up to that moment, were happy to allow off-world, corporate guards paid by the ICC (of which Omni-Tek is one the members corporations) to look after them.

In Newland, the people raised their own militia. It wasn't easy, the JAME equipment was very, very expensive, but they did it. They took responsibility. And that is why today the people of Newland live free in the only democracy on Rubi-Ka.

My second point is this. At the very same time as Omni-Tek forces were taking possession of Borealis, Clan forces invaded 4 Holes. You may choose to believe it was a coincidence that would be extraordinarily naive.

Surely that it must be the case that at least the Unionist Clan, who sit on the Council of Truth, were aware well in advance of that Omni-ICC changeover and used this intelligence to plan the strike on 4 Holes. The implication being that in order to further thier own war aims they chose not to help defend Borealis or to even warn the Neutrals in advance.

And so the tale of betrayal is complete. The fate of Borealis was determined by game of inter-galactic politics played by Omni-Tek, the ICC and the Clans. But in the end it Borealis has only itself that is to blame. Rather than harbouring terrorist like the Nanomage Liberation Front and secret passages to Smugglers Den it should have been looking to building its own, independent defence force.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

The state of the city has changed since Omni-Tek began its occupation, and for the worse as Miss Copperneedle said, i have seen the change slowly creeping increasing ever since.

Can I ask what you thought the mayoral elections in Borealis would have lead to if they were'nt so rudely interrupted and trodden into the dirt, by the Omni-Tek Jackboot?

Before the arrival of Omni-Tek in Borealis, there was a Traders Council which to some degree ran the city, or at least kept it going in reasonable order, its defence was a militia of local citizens.
    In 29476 the ICC stationed peacekeepers within the city as protection, as at this time the notum wars were beginning.

The Peacekeepers will primarily be deployed in neutral territories, to guarantee the protection of civilians in what the ICC has labelled a "progressively destabilising situation".
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT

Since there has been no willing proof from either Omni-Tek or the ICC that the proper procedures were followed, and that the neutral population of Borealis was not consulted in anyway, we have the right to call it an illegal occupation.
    Till i see such documents which can be verified, i do not believe any of the crap which OTPC prints as it is just properganda, meant to disillusion us and misdirect us.

In conclusion we were beginning to look to our own governing form and there had been put into motion the mayoral elections, following the lines of those in Newland, I do not believe it would have been too big of a leap to see Borealis form a militia much like the Newland Militia if it had been given chance by the ICC or Omni Tek for its own protection.
    Last edited by Lasliana; Dec 13th, 2008 at 05:20:04.

First, there were some forces there to deter the omni-tek forces in Borealis... I was among those first at the scene as records indicate. As my memory serves there was a massive blackout for a few hours and when lights came back online, Omni-Tek already had a strong foothold in Borealis... a NEUTRAL city. Borealis had no part in the conflict other than it posed a possible source of dissent in employees.

Second, I would not compare the militant occupation of a civilian city to that of a guerilla takeover at supply depots considered military targets, where civilians were indentured servants. The civilians were not injured; memory serves the civilians were able to vacate unharmed and free from harassment... where as clanners were shot on site within a free city.

A takeover is a takeover regardless of what third party system of outside government sold what signed paper.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Copperneedle, you misunderstand me. I am was not comparing Borealis with 4 Holes. What I am saying is that the Clans, or at the very least the Unionists must have known is advance about Omni's plans for Borealis and planned their attack on 4 Holes accordingly. Thus, as you say "when the black out" ended, 4 Holes was already in Clan hands.

Let me say this again in case I was not clear. There were those on the Council of Truth who knew well in advance that Omni were going to take over Borealis and for own purposes kept quiet about it.

However if you do want to compare the situation in a vain attempt to find a moral high ground in what is a very dirty story, then I must point out the fallacies in your statement.

4 Holes is not just a supply depot. The region comprises of four actual towns, each with shops, bars and a civilian population. Last time I checked Omni-Tek civilians were still trapped with their shops. If they leave they will be shot on sight by the Clan guards.

Omni-Tek civilians from 4 Holes have lost their homes and jobs. Borealis citizens have not. Some have chosen to leave Borealis in protest, which is understandably, but for the less politically committed it is pretty much business as usual and Borealis is still the liveliest town on Rubi-Ka.

And your records are incorrect. Omni-Tek did not fight the ICC over the control of Borealis. As such the town was not defended, it was not taken by force. A lot of people are angry and emotional over this event so they tend to gloss over this, but that does not change the fact, the ICC Peacekeepers were not removed by force from Borealis.

For days after the changeover, Neutral protesters engaged the Omni guards, that is true. This resulted in a number of casualties on both sides. But again lets not let anger and emotion cloud the facts. Over those days the Omni-Tek forces did not fire on the locals except after they themselves had been attacked, directly or indirectly. In that respect they acted exactly like the guards in any other Omni, Clan or Neutral town, no better, no worse.

The facts regarding Borealis are tragic enough as is, it offends me that people try to spin it and distort truth for dramatic effect. It isn't necessary.

Specifically:

* It is scandalous that the ICC and Omni-Tek can trade Borealis between each other like a zigball card without any local consultation or regard for the people who live there.

* Omni-Tek presence is not welcome by the local population and is source of constant friction.

* Omni-Tek has suppressed various Borealis initiatives such as from the mayoral election and the defence proposals of Tinkerbots and Retoolkit. This is direct interference in the affairs of a Neutral population and their freedom of self-determination.

* Omni-Tek rejected the joint proposal from RUR and Newland Council to build a new Hyper-Space Transmission Dish away from Borealis which would not have cost them anything and would have removed the need for Omni presence in Borealis.

So you see, there is plenty to be angry about without having to embellish the truth.

Lasliana,

What you say is true. However I never saw any evidence that the ICC Peacekeepers were invited or in any more accountable to the people of Borealis. If you consider Omni-Tek invaders, you must also consider the ICC Peacekeepers as invaders, they have as much right to be there.

I think a lot of people regarded the ICC as "Neutral" in the same way a local Borealis resident is "Neutral", forgetting that the ICC represents is just an amalgamation of off world corporations, of which Omni-Tek is the largest. And this lulled the people into a false sense of security.

Look at Newland City. They took action to remove the ICC Peacekeepers, twice actually. The first time they hired the Warrs. This turned out to be a mistake so they overthrew the Warrs and raised their own militia, made up of their own people.

Failure to take responsibility is what doomed Borealis.

What i was trying to point out was that Borealis was starting to take responsibility for itself, what else were the mayoral elections for?

Thumbs down

Ah, an omni pointing the finger at the clans, a member of RUR no less. Don't you always have one of your crazy bots on the loose to track down?

There were those on the Council of Truth who knew well in advance that Omni were going to take over Borealis and for own purposes kept quiet about it.
    Alright, where is your source of this information? where is the list of names of the CoT representatives involved, which clans, etc.

4 Holes is not just a supply depot. The region comprises of four actual towns, each with shops, bars and a civilian population. Last time I checked Omni-Tek civilians were still trapped with their shops. If they leave they will be shot on sight by the Clan guards.
    Usually military outpost need nearby civilian facilities because their people will have some time off in between shifts and during days off. After all they needs their employees to spend money so they work more, to spend more money. Those shopkeepers were given plenty of time to pack up and move out once the area was liberated by the clans. Now if memory serves me right, Omni-Tek insures shops near military facilities, so if they're staying there, they either didn't pay the insurance or are hoping the corporation will come back to bring things back they used to be.

Omni-Tek civilians from 4 Holes have lost their homes and jobs. Borealis citizens have not. Some have chosen to leave Borealis in protest, which is understandably, but for the less politically committed it is pretty much business as usual and Borealis is still the liveliest town on Rubi-Ka.
    Here I thought that Omni-Tek relocated any employees when they lose their home either by act of nature (the weather ain't friendly on Rubi-Ka you know), or because of their war with the clans. Ah, must be the usual false propaganda they feed their employees. Omnis don't "lose" jobs, their contracts are more or less for life, wherever their skills are needed, they are assigned. And there are plenty of places for an omni to be sent to, I don't see any omni begging for food, homeless or poor anywhere on Rubi-Ka.

Omni-Tek did not fight the ICC over the control of Borealis. As such the town was not defended, it was not taken by force. A lot of people are angry and emotional over this event so they tend to gloss over this, but that does not change the fact, the ICC Peacekeepers were not removed by force from Borealis.
    That part is at least accurate, ICC didn't fight OT. They just walked away and let the corporation execute an illegal occupation of a neutral town which has no military value, was no threat to them in any way with a very weak excuse over a dish that is not only an old outdated piece of tech, but also far beneath Omni-Tek equipment standards.

For days after the changeover, Neutral protesters engaged the Omni guards, that is true. This resulted in a number of casualties on both sides. But again lets not let anger and emotion cloud the facts. Over those days the Omni-Tek forces did not fire on the locals except after they themselves had been attacked, directly or indirectly. In that respect they acted exactly like the guards in any other Omni, Clan or Neutral town, no better, no worse.
    Yes, except... they are NOT neutral guards! the population didn't hire them, they didn't approve (neither were they asked of course). Each faction has guards, to protect their military and civilian facilities. I don't recall Borealis making a public announcement stating they were accepting Omni-Tek rule before the occupation. I'm of course not including the official statements from an OT Officer who now claims to be the authority of a town where it's citizens looks at the omni guards with anger and frustration.

The facts regarding Borealis are tragic enough as is, it offends me that people try to spin it and distort truth for dramatic effect. It isn't necessary.
    Distort truth? this coming from an omni? I didn't realize April Fools was in December.

* It is scandalous that the ICC and Omni-Tek can trade Borealis between each other like a zigball card without any local consultation or regard for the people who live there.
    There was no trade, OT told ICC they were going to take over and they just walked away.

* Omni-Tek presence is not welcome by the local population and is source of constant friction.
    Got that right.

* Omni-Tek has suppressed various Borealis initiatives such as from the mayoral election and the defence proposals of Tinkerbots and Retoolkit. This is direct interference in the affairs of a Neutral population and their freedom of self-determination.
    Correct.

* Omni-Tek rejected the joint proposal from RUR and Newland Council to build a new Hyper-Space Transmission Dish away from Borealis which would not have cost them anything and would have removed the need for Omni presence in Borealis.
    Well what did you expect? you've worked for the company long enough to know they will do what they want, not what is right.

So you see, there is plenty to be angry about without having to embellish the truth.
    One one side, you support the neutrals and want Borealis free. On the other side, you work for the corporation who is 100% responsible for the situation and all you're doing is the standard omni drone move... file a request, hope one of your bosses will give it approval when you know in your heart, they won't give up Borealis.

Great to act the role of an angel, when you work for the Devil.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Alright, where is your source of this information? where is the list of names of the CoT representatives involved, which clans, etc.
    maybe she refers to that tea-sipping trox? the leader of unionists, landau

Windguaerd, I have no evidence. How could I? I am just a private citizen and even back when I did sit on the Omni Board of Directors meetings, it's not like they ever told us anything important.

All I have is logic. The Unionist attack on 4 Holes was simultaneous to the Omni moving into 4 Holes. You may choose to believe this was just a coincidence; God bless you if you genuinely do.

But that's the thing about this stupid planet. It is always comes down to faction. People are judged by their side rather than their own actions. We are not meant to have our own options, only champion the ideas of our faction. It's always about "us or them" rather than "true or false".

Well, the hell with that. I am fond of speaking my mind and have history of disregarding factional lines. I am trying to provide a reasoned and balanced account of these events. You may disagree on some of the facts I present or some of the conclusions I draw, but don't you dare play "your Omni" card with me. I am a person, not a passport.

Logic based on facts, work. Logic based on guessing, not so much.

Let's say that the Unionists noticed movements of troops and resources. They probably concluded the omnis were going to make a push somewhere in the northwest territories. Something unacceptable to them. Remember they're former miners, they're not strategists.

It is likely they were on alert to make their move but didn't tell anyone (even the CoT) about it.

So when the omnis made their move for Borealis, the Unionists made theirs on 4 Holes.

Aideen Landau is a charming atrox, but his clan does have it's own beliefs and agenda. I wasn't surprised at what happened in 4 Holes.

So here we have the same logic, interpreted differently, more based on how the unionist operate.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

Which is all well and good, except when you stop and think that the attacks were simultaneous. According to your account, the Clans did not just guess that Omni were going to make an offensive, they also guessed the exact time and date. That's pretty good guessing.

But then we all know Clanners would never turn their back on Neutrals just to gain a few Notum mines. That just never happens.

(edit)
    Honestly, if the situation were reversed, if the Sentinels attacked Newland and at the very moment Omni-Tek invaded Clan territory, would you accept it was just a coincidence or would you think that somehow OT had prior information and rather than help or at least warn Newland OT used the situatation to their own advantage?
    Last edited by Dabblez; Dec 14th, 2008 at 09:55:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabblez View Post
    Which is all well and good, except when you stop and think that the attacks were simultaneous. According to your account, the Clans did not just guess that Omni were going to make an offensive, they also guessed the exact time and date. That's pretty good guessing.

But then we all know Clanners would never turn their back on Neutrals just to gain a few Notum mines. That just never happens.

(edit)
    Honestly, if the situation were reversed, if the Sentinels attacked Newland and at the very moment Omni-Tek invaded Clan territory, would you accept it was just a coincidence or would you think that somehow OT had prior information and rather than help or at least warn Newland OT used the situation to their own advantage?
    It's fairly easy to reach 4 Holes through the grid. If I can get dressed and be at a grid terminal in 5 minutes or less on the fly (and I live in Jobe), what makes you think the unionists weren't able to move just as fast when they were on alert? all they would need is sentries or scouts on regular shifts and once they sent the alarm to Landau they would have been on the move within minutes.

Neutrals always claim they don't want others to interfere with their affairs, even so we tried to help them liberate Borealis but unfortunately we failed (that was before the CoT officially decided to stay out of that mess). Some of us have used deadly force on the occupying force on occasion to remind them, they don't belong there.

If the Sentinels attacked Newland unprovoked they probably would end up facing other clanners who would go in the defense of the neutrals, myself included. And if OT would take advantage, in that case I'd say "Omni-InternOps still has decent intel", the corporation has intelligence department and agents all over Rubi-Ka.

The Unionists are former miners and most are atrox, they are charming, strong, hard workers, but intelligence and stealth is not their strength.