Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director – Passing on the torch

Letter from the Game Director – Passing on the torch

There isn’t any easy way to start this letter to the community. For me personally it’s definitely a little sad to be here writing this to all of you that have made my time as Game Director on Anarchy Online so very special. As many of you will already know it has been announced today that I have been asked to take a new role leading up the team on Age of Conan.

Leaving Rubi-Ka in this capacity is certainly not an easy thing to do, I owe the world created for Anarchy Online for my profession now, and the game will always have a very special place in my life. I have though also been involved in Age of Conan from its early development in one form or another and it’s also an exciting opportunity to challenge myself further.

I couldn’t be leaving the game in better hands though. I have always maintained my pride in the team we have built up on the project, and I have every confidence that they will continue to provide you with great updates and fantastic content for years to come. Colin ‘means’ Cragg and his content team have been finding creative ways to kill…sorry I mean ‘challenge’, you all for some time already and I couldn’t think of anyone better to be handing the reigns over to.

I’ll be sure to not loose track, so you might see me dropping by now and again. For now though I hope you extend the faith, support and feedback you have given me to Means and his team. The entire team here has a little piece of Rubi-Ka in their souls and I am sure you are only just starting to see the fruits of that dedication.

So to everyone that has taken part in this community down the years you have my eternal thanks for providing the incentive and motivation for everything we do here. Without you, our community, Rubi-Ka wouldn’t exist or continue to thrive as it does. I have enjoyed my time working on Anarchy Online as both Community Manager and Producer more than I can easily put into words. Suffice to say I am proud of everyone that has put the blood, sweat and tears into Anarchy Online to make it what it is today, and that goes for developers, the wonderful and hard working volunteers at ARK and players alike. Rubi-Ka is your world.

I hope to be enjoying it with you for years to come!
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Can I have your stuff?

Seriously though... kudos to you, and hope all goes well, I'm sure it will. Keep in touch.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

WOW! Well, thx for being around the time you where here. I at least felt that you loved the game and the players.
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

So long, and thanks for all the fix.. sh!

You did a great job with AO, I hope you do an equally good job with Age of Conan. Thanks!
    Neverest 220 NM MP PVP setup

Take some leets to AoC, will you, Silirrion?

Good luck Means!
    /born Porter was born on Thu Jun 28 09:19:52 2001.
    I'm a Porter, Porters don't PVP.
    First Light

Congratulations on taking over such a high profile project With all the good things that happened to AO under your leadership, I see only green fields ahead for AoC (which sorely needs them).

Hope you'll stick around our end of the internets still
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Congratulations on the new position, i wish you all the best with it. I'm sure you will be missed amongst the Anarchy Online community. Thank you for leading the project forward, and shaping the game as we know it today.

-Jara

Grats to the new job Sil!
    Sad to see you go though.

Im sure that it will be real challenge for you to set you teath into
    AoC sure need a "restart/rethink" and Im sure you can bring that.

So, good luck on the new job yes again.
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

Gratz on your new position Sil

Hope you do as good a job with AoC as you did with AO.

Unhappy /cry

You will certainly be missed around here. I hope this won't effect the development of AO negatively, as that would be a shame. I am looking forward to the graphics update very much. Good luck with AoC, they couldn't have picked a better team lead, and I'm sure it'll be fun... And by the way, I'll keep my signature in homage to you're time in AO... I am sure you're thrilled.
    ---------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion
    We will sit down on Monday and see where we stand.

Soooo Means will be the new GD?

I dont envy him :S
    You survived...You prevailed....Yet a bird's flight knows no end...
    Reality is a momentary dream but a dream is a reality for an eternity.

Kawaii "Koizumi" Akira - 220/25/70 soon-to-be-Berserk MA (refreshing!)
    Deadalus "Yumeno" Proxy - 220/30/70 Former stunwhore
    One "Namichan" Piece - 220/30/68 Drainwhore
    Aj Ar "Spawara" Triplenab - 220/24/45 Nuke-Welder
    IOmnomnomjoor "Emohatetellz" - 2/0/0 TL5 killer in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Quitter123 View Post
    How about this new nano for enfs, it takes random amount of nanoskills and nano to cast, when landed on random opponent it debuffs random weaponskill by random amount for an unspecified length of time.

Sad news Sil is going to AoC, however I think Means will do his job just as good. AoC needs some serious help. The good news in all of this though, is that Gaute Godager is leaving FC (according to some norwegian newspapers) \o/
    ***Zacix***
    President
    of
    ***Underworld***
    Equipment

"It's widely believed that Jesus was Chuck Norris' stunt double for crucifixion due to the fact that it is impossible for nails to pierce Chuck Norris' skin."

were do i send my application as new game dictator?
    Irmo 220 sol
    Hogfather 220 doc "ER...HO. HO. HO."
    Wintersmith 220 crat
    Ainur 209 trader
    Viralbots Incorporated

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."

Dasm.... Oh well, gratz on your new challenge.. and a big one it is

I sure hope Means & Co. will be able to keep up the good work as we've seen it in the time you've been steering AO.

At the end of the day I really, really, really hope this won't have any negative impact on the work being done atm with regard to new gfx engine, patches, bug fixes and all that.

Good luck in your new job and thanks for the efforts you've put into AO.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
    Sad news Sil is going to AoC, however I think Means will do his job just as good. AoC needs some serious help. The good news in all of this though, is that Gaute Godager is leaving FC (according to some norwegian newspapers) \o/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarib View Post
    Former Producer and Game Director Gaute Godager has chosen to resign from Funcom after working on Age of Conan since the initial conception, and he leaves the company after 16 years. Godager was one of the original founders of Funcom, and leaves a large legacy, having contributed to making Funcom the largest MMO company in Europe. “I have done my very best making this fabulous game, but I have concluded there are elements which I am dissatisfied with. I have decided to act on this, and as a result I have chosen to leave Funcom. It is time to get new, fresh eyes on Age of Conan, and I wholeheartedly support the appointment of Craig. I have had a fantastic time these last 16 years, and I am very proud of the many things Funcom has achieved. Funcom and Conan will always be a big part of me, but as I now look to new ventures outside the gaming industry I am certain Age of Conan’s future is in the best of hands.”
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=537177
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Gratz to the both of you! Saving AoC will be great challenge and I am sure Sil is the right person for the job. Means is someone who loves AO and can listen to playerbase, he will be a very good GD.

At least it wasnt a GD swap

Perhaps AoC might be made into something people want to keep playing now.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

I will miss you the most Sil. Under your reign I have seen so many good changes in this game and many lines crossed with progressing this game and changing it for the better. You were very involved with the community and always addressed them in the forums and that is why I liked you the most. AoC is getting someone really grande and for that I am envious. I thank you for everything that will be in 17.10 for it is something the players have wanted for years and I feel it is something that you made possible. I hope the person who fills in your shoes does as a good job as you or better.

P.S. Your balls are still huge.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast