Thread: Hope and Retribution

Hope and Retribution

Everyday, thousands of people walk these streets, good, bad, it doesn't matter while looking at them from here all you see is a singular mass. What is the difference between a common street thug to that of a wealthy business man? i cant tell from up here, and i can guess neither can you..... so...let me ask you, what kind of person are you?"

Sleep has been a luxury for the past month, Contracts are coming and going too fast that i dont remember where one starts and one ends. With December coming I have realized that what i have been living for is just that: waiting for the next contract to come through. It bothers me to say it, but becoming something you promised you would never become is easy, especially on a world like Rubi-Ka, where a title can mean life or death depending on who see's, or hears it first. Dont get me wrong, Mercenary work brings in a good paycheck, but an equal amount of danger also, since there is always someone better than you..... no matter what. The unknow factor in this work is exactly who you get the work from, you never know if the person is trying to kill you, or to bring you to justice, regardless if they are with a law enforcement department. I made a promise once to never become what i was so long ago..... but, history has a funny sense of humor, i can give it that much, but when lives are lost, even the best comedy can become its own tragedy.

Borealis, Newland, Jobe..... these have become my home it seems, always out, always doing the dirty work of someone that needs absolute discretion, to facilitate fatalities of persons that could be "bad for business" of local shop owners who are obvious proxies between the real employer and the evidence that could get him sent to prison. Its sad to be called that, "evidence", but its the truth. even since i started working with a third party contractor that's all we are referred to as being, that, or products, services, but i would prefer what we really are; at least then we would have some shred of moral that we could call ourselves.... human.

Days come and go, and it never changes, we once were hired to protect those who couldn't protect themselves, or who couldn't afford anyone else. But that changed with our new MCO [mission control officer]. "we have to provide for our fellow employees and neutral citizens a service that would allow them, allow us to intervene before they would need protection at all!", now for the slower ones out there, that meant we would be dropping defensive operations and switch to full offensive operations for half the price. now anyone who had a grudge against anyone could hire us and theoretically, we would be able to kill them, just because someone didn't like them. at first we liked the idea, since sitting around all day guarding a house, or a business was starting to grow boring to some of us, regrettably me aswell, we would now be able to strike first. We realized the fatal flaw in this ideal far too late to change what did happen.

Those that where the first ones hired are either dead, or escaped off planet, only a few remain not including the new-bloods that just want to go out and shoot people. I find myself asking "is it worth it?" when a new mission appears, quickly jumped on by any of the younger contractors that happen to be nearby. "i could just no show up for work anymore" I once said, "but what would stop them from blowing the whistle, or even worse, kill even more brutally?". The main company we were contracted out to "<this has been removed due to an ongoing internal investigation>" basically said that we were to follow all orders from the new MCO without question, as they would be setting up this area for a branch from the mother company and would be entirely self sufficient. no one questioned why, though we should of at the time, the company would sever all ties to this small outpost office and then claim that it would be responsible for all operations for the planet.

I look around, and there are only five of the original contractors left including me, the rest are a faceless mass.....a single entity.

"where do we go form here? Im going home....... that's more than i can say for you however..."
    Last edited by Kalezian; Dec 8th, 2008 at 03:04:48.
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU will pick up the flag and carry it forward. This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes is up to us.

Means, Game Director (2008-2011)