Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 4th, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    no one in their right mind is going to read all that stuff... tho i will say, it doesnt sound like you're trying to "enjoy" the game. sounds like you're trying to compete in some rat race to become the best and most powerful in a virtual world. this isnt what AO is about.
    Umm... no... your observation does not fit my intentions in AO. If I had wanted the most "powerful" toon, I'd have rolled an enforcer or advy or the like from the get go. I *like* the IDEA of a fixer. However, fixers have not matched that idea from the moment SL was put into play and their development was put into the back-water. I'm not looking for "power"... I'm looking for CHOICES AND OPPORTUNITY. Unfortunately, it took until I got to level 174 to realize that my CHOICES are severely limited, and you are almost FORCED into playing a particular type based on your race/class.

And AO is not about getting gear and levelling? Really? How do you get to experience the entire game's content without that? Let's say you do all the Ergo quests and have lots of cash from other toons and skip right into Inferno. Can you *do* anything there without having massively leveled? Can you equip decent equipment without leveling? And, pray tell, how does one level; can you level ithout endless killing and grinding? A crafter MUST fight or be on a team that fights to succeed in the game. Conversely, a PvPer, except for some end-game characters, must sacrifice many aspects of character development to be able to succeed at PvP, AND must spend massive time acquiring "gear".

To run around "role-playing" that I've conquered this and that, or that XYZ fight was amazing or travelling to such and such place was *wow*... all that is not *believeable* if I don't have the level and equipment to match, at least in AO and games of its ilk.

From a "role-playing perspective"... let's say I want to be a shotgun expert and at the same time play an Agent... that would be a total waste of IP. Or let's say I wanted to play a fixer, and do fixerish stuff, but be melee. Do-able? Yes? But total waste of IP.... the designers dictate what you can do based on the amount of IP it takes to level a skill... this is especially evident at the highest levels, when every point of skill costs 2000 or more IP. You don't have unlimited IP nor unlimited IPRs. SUMMARILY: Cookie-cutter setups.

Sweet jesus, i do like to read you know, i read about 10 books a month, but if you think anyone will bother to read 5 pages A4 of your pure rage spilled on forums...

Friendly advice, if your frustration about a video game can fill entire book, quit video games.

Quote Originally Posted by sturmalfar View Post
    If I had wanted the most "powerful" toon, I'd have rolled an enforcer or advy or the like from the get go.
    But Enforcer is the nerfest Prof
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Exclamation

Hmmm..... so, IHaveHugeNick, what I'm saying is occurring as "pure rage".... and it does not resonate with you. Oh well... I think what I say is quite cogent and well-argued. I'm not blathering at the mouth, shooting from the hip, or speaking with expletive filled invective. If what I am doing is "raging" and writing a "book" that nobody will read, I can understand Josephina's frustration when he penned his long missive " A "guide" as to why Title Level 7 Fixers are not cutting it" (http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?t=533700).... but I guess it doesn't matter.

I am experiencing anger and disappointment at having been drawn into the world that is AO... spending $120 on my 1st month and then a year's membership... and then finding out the MASSIVE issues this game has. Money does not grow on trees you know...

If the developers would actually read this thread and comment on at least some of what I'm saying with constructive criticism, this would ameliorate some of my concerns. But, even with Means' recent postings, I pretty much doubt that I'd get a full response.... whereby most of Funcom's effort is focused on their profitable Age of Conan and not on Anarchy Online.

Umm... no... your observation does not fit my intentions in AO. If I had wanted the most "powerful" toon, I'd have rolled an enforcer or advy or the like from the get go. I *like* the IDEA of a fixer. However, fixers have not matched that idea from the moment SL was put into play and their development was put into the back-water. I'm not looking for "power"... I'm looking for CHOICES AND OPPORTUNITY. Unfortunately, it took until I got to level 174 to realize that my CHOICES are severely limited, and you are almost FORCED into playing a particular type based on your race/class.

And AO is not about getting gear and levelling? Really? How do you get to experience the entire game's content without that? Let's say you do all the Ergo quests and have lots of cash from other toons and skip right into Inferno. Can you *do* anything there without having massively leveled? Can you equip decent equipment without leveling? And, pray tell, how does one level; can you level ithout endless killing and grinding? A crafter MUST fight or be on a team that fights to succeed in the game. Conversely, a PvPer, except for some end-game characters, must sacrifice many aspects of character development to be able to succeed at PvP, AND must spend massive time acquiring "gear".

To run around "role-playing" that I've conquered this and that, or that XYZ fight was amazing or travelling to such and such place was *wow*... all that is not *believeable* if I don't have the level and equipment to match, at least in AO and games of its ilk.

From a "role-playing perspective"... let's say I want to be a shotgun expert and at the same time play an Agent... that would be a total waste of IP. Or let's say I wanted to play a fixer, and do fixerish stuff, but be melee. Do-able? Yes? But total waste of IP.... the designers dictate what you can do based on the amount of IP it takes to level a skill... this is especially evident at the highest levels, when every point of skill costs 2000 or more IP. You don't have unlimited IP nor unlimited IPRs. SUMMARILY: Cookie-cutter setups.
    to ignore your attempts to derail your own complaints....

leveling and items are... well.. side effects of exploring and enjoying the fun that can be had in AO. and above all, slow down. relax. take your time. no point in rushing through it all just so you can have some sorta elite status by getting X item.

i've been playing this game since 2002. and i'm not even lvl 200 yet. i dont partake in this virtual materialism race, and just enjoy the game. if i really want Z item, then i'll find the time in my scedule when i can devote the hours required. but not having an item has never stopped me from playing or enjoying the game, theres just too much to AO for this to occur.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Wink Enforcers are more like the uberest Prof.... you so silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I assume you were being facetious, Trousers :P I truly hope so.... Not only is this thread from 2002 and irrelevant to today's game, but even more so, from that same thread, Kiryat-Dharin said it succinctly:

This is the single least intelligent post I've ever seen.

Did you get that 141 being powerleveled by level 200's twinks? Because
    nothing else explains being that ill-informed about your class.

If I had wanted the most "powerful" toon, I'd have rolled an enforcer or mele advy or the like from the get go. .
    fixed
    A suggestion to remove ranged advy full auto problem : http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=529754

pistol are now for dot user , Ranged advy need revolver :

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...6&postcount=21

I want a BALANCED game that has role-playing elements designed around PLAYER choice and not capricious decisions by the game designers, many of whom aborted ship years ago and the current designers have no IDEA, INTEREST or INCLINATION of correcting their mistakes.
    Sounds like you need a vacation on a deserted isle without any AO around. Or a trip to a video game store to pick up a Copy of Hello Kitty Island Adventure.....

One of those two things should fix your problems with AO. Me personally, I haven't leveled in weeks and don't plan on doing any for a while. I'll spend time grinding mishes and working on my Research and going after items that in all reality, are just pixels on a screen. And I can do it without becoming obsessed over how many mobs I need to kill to reach the next Level, AXP Level, Research Level or what ever. It's just a game. One we all choose to play for one reason or another. Maybe you simply need to take a little break from AO and pick up a book or watch some TV.
    "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best."-Occam's razor

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU will pick up the flag and carry it forward. This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.
    AO will survive.

I hear you...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    to ignore your attempts to derail your own complaints....

leveling and items are... well.. side effects of exploring and enjoying the fun that can be had in AO. and above all, slow down. relax. take your time. no point in rushing through it all just so you can have some sorta elite status by getting X item.

i've been playing this game since 2002. and i'm not even lvl 200 yet. i dont partake in this virtual materialism race, and just enjoy the game. if i really want Z item, then i'll find the time in my scedule when i can devote the hours required. but not having an item has never stopped me from playing or enjoying the game, theres just too much to AO for this to occur.
    Look, the most enjoyable part of the game thus far for me is ninja-buffing as many people as I can find... teaching newbies the ropes and leading them by the hand... helping people out.... trading and making a profit.... agreed, combat is not the whole game.

But, a question for you: Do you PvP with any of your alts? Do you feel that you're at least OK at it? Why do I ask? Because the AI on most mobs is sorely lacking in AO, and PvP provides the greatest challenge and satisfaction for me, at least combat-wise. That is why I'm not levelling my fixer beyond 174, as PvP on the highest levels will REQUIRE massive time investment in gear for me to be at least passable... I AGREE with you that it should not be about gear... I don't care about "uber" gear... but if I HAVE to have 20 different rare buffing items and a bunch of expensive gear to be able to be competitive.. not the BEST.... I'm looking for at least AVERAGE... this shows the massive time sinks designed into a game that lacks content and balance.

Also, do you play any engineers or traders? Does it not bother you in the slightest that you HAVE to combat to level your trade-skills? That is well nigh to impossible to be even a mid-level trade-skiller without tons of combat along the way? This is what I'm railing about... the cookie-cutter lack of flexibility inherent in a level-based, class-based system....

Quote Originally Posted by Mescol View Post
    Sounds like you need a vacation on a deserted isle without any AO around. Or a trip to a video game store to pick up a Copy of Hello Kitty Island Adventure.....

One of those two things should fix your problems with AO. Me personally, I haven't leveled in weeks and don't plan on doing any for a while. I'll spend time grinding mishes and working on my Research and going after items that in all reality, are just pixels on a screen. And I can do it without becoming obsessed over how many mobs I need to kill to reach the next Level, AXP Level, Research Level or what ever. It's just a game. One we all choose to play for one reason or another. Maybe you simply need to take a little break from AO and pick up a book or watch some TV.
    BTW: I know it doesn't look like it, I've played AO not THAT much... I simply research everything, as I look to make my life one worth living fully.

Mescol... starting January, I will be working full-time and studying paramedics. I won't have much time to play AO then. I like my free time to be maximal fun.... you're right it's not worth it. But the apathy of saying "it's good enough and that's fine for me" is what, for example, brought us IRL to our present economic disaster today. I'm not willing to participate in such congnitive dissonance.... I'd rather be straight with my "buyer's remorse" and realize that AO will never be what I want it to be... That's why I have high hopes for Darkfall Online... we'll see what happens when it gets out of beta and launches at the end of January '09.

Quote Originally Posted by Mescol View Post

Blabla

ok first sorry for my bad engrish (i know i suck)
    Ok i know, many of his post ar filled with rage and wrath but why ?

Look at the "18.0" forum it became a pure whine zone, anyone can say Ao is well balanced , if you don't have good ppl to show you how to play you will still grind, farm ,grind and farm again.

Yes, ao need balance (we all know that) look at the trader condition before, our condition(ranged advy) and some other prof atm they have been left behind for age : not for day, not for month but for year. This kind of thing is inadmissible for a paying game and it's pityful cause all free game are a minimum balanced (i said a minimum) and all free game have animation for their skill (look at our perk).

At my opinion ,Ao isn't really a good game (really plain fight when soloing and even in teame (sometime) poor graphics, etc.. after the thing very beautiful here, who make this game fun and cool, who make this game move further is :the community(i know i will be flamed like hell for that , don't burn me please that just my opinion)

I won't say this is the developper who tell you how to use a onehander for example, this is the community who searched a way to destroy the hole the G-developer make in this game.

So yes ao is quite boring and even can seem bad if you want to play it as a normal mmo (because ao lack to basic thing to be played like that) play it as a way to make new meeting , walk in every place you can in shadowland, you will be surprised.

And yay if the G-developer could make something useful sometime......
    I love Ao really much, but there are too many stupid thing who haven't to exist (many profession left behind for YEARs, not many pvp option despite that must be a WAr-game :what a nightmare)
    A suggestion to remove ranged advy full auto problem : http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=529754

BTW: I know it doesn't look like it, I've played AO not THAT much... I simply research everything, as I look to make my life one worth living fully.

Mescol... starting January, I will be working full-time and studying paramedics. I won't have much time to play AO then. I like my free time to be maximal fun.... you're right it's not worth it. But the apathy of saying "it's good enough and that's fine for me" is what, for example, brought us IRL to our present economic disaster today. I'm not willing to participate in such congnitive dissonance.... I'd rather be straight with my "buyer's remorse" and realize that AO will never be what I want it to be... That's why I have high hopes for Darkfall Online... we'll see what happens when it gets out of beta and launches at the end of January '09.
    Seriously, since you seem to have RP'ed a lot, and hate the state of the Game, just stop leveling and spend your time roleplaying. Then when the RP gets brain numbing leveling doesn't seem do bad. Then when your brain is numb from grinding RPing doesn't seem to bad. It's a Cycle that took 2 of my characters to TL7

Thank you flyinguns...

I appreciate that you're willing to give a balanced perspective other than "Sturmalfar... you need to chill.. go play something else"

BTW: The name of the game is ANARCHY ONLINE. Hmm.... just ponder that for a bit.... Anarchy... let that roll of the tongue for just a moment.... how will the game fit its namesake if PvP is borked and nearly unplayable?

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Seriously, since you seem to have RP'ed a lot, and hate the state of the Game, just stop leveling and spend your time roleplaying. Then when the RP gets brain numbing leveling doesn't seem do bad. Then when your brain is numb from grinding RPing doesn't seem to bad. It's a Cycle that took 2 of my characters to TL7
    Excellent idea... which is why, as I've said before, I'm not leveling my fixer beyond 174 for the next while.

I have to get back to other things, but can you share with me where I can find role-playing opportunities in the game? The few events like the Halloween riddle in the forums or the murder quest in-game (both recent examples that I missed out on) are badly advertised and seem to be only found by those who luckily stumble upon them in-game or in the forums, or else those "in the know"...

I'll check your response tonight (around 5 to 6 hours from now).

Also, while I adore my org (Knights of Ka)and their Alliance, they're not a RP org. Do you know of any RP orgs that are good about it and have a good and varied "community" so we can team together on all kinds of various things? I don't mind rolling a new toon that I'll join into a different org for a change of pace.

Excellent idea... which is why, as I've said before, I'm not leveling my fixer beyond 174 for the next while.

I have to get back to other things, but can you share with me where I can find role-playing opportunities in the game? The few events like the Halloween riddle in the forums or the murder quest in-game (both recent examples that I missed out on) are badly advertised and seem to be only found by those who luckily stumble upon them in-game or in the forums, or else those "in the know"...

I'll check your response tonight (around 5 to 6 hours from now).

Also, while I adore my org (Knights of Ka)and their Alliance, they're not a RP org. Do you know of any RP orgs that are good about it and have a good and varied "community" so we can team together on all kinds of various things? I don't mind rolling a new toon that I'll join into a different org for a change of pace.
    If you're on Rimor, I know quite a few. Also check my Sig for additional information about RP on Rimor.

Feel free to PM me or /tell me sometime.

In addition of my previous post:

why don't you do as you say? stoping your favorite profession at the lvl when they are good? then after doing this, you have two choice: doing as many of ppl do rerolling again and again , doing the same thing then be tired and leave for 1 year for at least come back Or you can with your experience make a viable char in the aim to help newbies, this is what i am doing sometime , while doing this, you will see another side of Ao beyond the selfishness of many of us.

And really don't hesitate to take a walk ever place you can in this fabulous world of Ao (not only sl ) is so vast and beautiful you can't imagine, i can't congratulate enough those people who did it it's more than a good work for one time and if you want you can do a webdiary.

that what many players do atm, doing website, helping other low level, doing bestiary etc.........

Why at your opinion? Because they are just tired to do the same thing again and again.

As i told you before : focus about what the community do, don't focus about the the G-developer are doing or you will be dissapointed

Ed1t:

And your org aren't the only ppl you have to play with i'm not only playing with my org i play with all the people i can, even with some omnies so you don't have to quit your org : just play as you want to play and with the kind of people you want to.
    Last edited by flyinguns; Dec 9th, 2008 at 23:48:19.

So Means. How about a tractor beam?

I hope your wife is doing well.

Tell her about the tractor beam, it'll cheer her up.

If I had wanted the most "powerful" toon, I'd have rolled a keeper with a tractor beam
    Definitely fixed.
    blah

please
    let us beta the new engine!
    Irmo 220 sol
    Hogfather 220 doc "ER...HO. HO. HO."
    Wintersmith 220 crat
    Ainur 209 trader
    Viralbots Incorporated

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by flyinguns View Post
    fixed
    As a member of the ranged advie community, I would like to say:

Please, stop being so one note. Or stay off our side. You make the rest of us look bad.

Theo
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast