Thread: PvP it's got to change (dont remove thread plz)

PvP it's got to change (dont remove thread plz)

Ok everyone, here's a thread with me saying PvP has to change.

I didn't post it in the PvP section because the only ppl who would see it are those who enjoy PvP, hence I would be flamed to hell. This concerns EVERYONE.

Anyway, judging by the storyline (big war, ravaging the planet, clan vs omni choose your side! War death pain!) I think PvP should be more than just twinks sitting on the safe side of PvP borders, waiting for someone to cross it before jumping in an killing, or getting killed (in which in case they then demand nerfs in the forums).

PvP is pointless, except for a few stupid titles, and the general population of Rubi-Ka would prefer to lvl (which actually has BENEFITS) instead of PvPing which is .... well what I said above.

Ok so, everyone who agrees with me, if any at all, post what you think should have been in PvP, and if possible, some improvements that could be made.

Here's my dream PvP in AO....

A REAL Clan vs Omni server, where choosing your side means more than changing where you hunt, and what armor you wear. ALL zones are political zones.

A large group of OT forces could invade Tir, kill all the guards, and have the city under control. Clanners would be screwed, unless they got together and fought 'em off. But wait! This requires coordination, teamwork, and it provides a real reason to get invovled with PvP! *Gasp* It must never happen.
    Of course this would mean cutting off whompah and grid access to enemy cities, unless you want whompahs to be major camping spots.
    Oh, and most of all, PvPing should give you XP and/or money,
    and lots of it.

That would certainly bring me into PvP.

Plz, all, post ideas, information and death threats, I'd love to hear.

.... Post damn you!
    Last edited by MagicalSteve; Sep 25th, 2002 at 06:52:13.

Oh, and before you post, keep in mind that I acknowledge the fact that NONE of what I said will ever be considered, let alone happen. I'm merely voicing my thoughts.

Please don't kill me.

Pvp

1. Get rid of the pointless title system in normal pvp or change it so that groups can work towards titles as well. When that happens you will see plenty of group skirmishes, which is what you want to see if there is supposed to be a war. A war isn’t individuals running around hunting solo, its teams of well trained individuals working together to crush their enemies with fire and maneuver (well at least in a ground battle). You will see many group skirmishes, especially if everyone in the group gets a pvp reward system of some sort with a successful kill. Leave the solo pvp for the arena if that type of gladiatorial play is desired and work out a system for placing bets, rewards, titles, etc but don’t pigeonhole the player to engage in solo pvp just to get a title… that’s pretty shallow and does NOT lend itself to large scale, team battles that would actually give this conflict some real meaning. It seems like the developers are a little reluctant to veer away from the way that they envisioned the world. Well, vision is great and all but it needs to make sense. If you want a war to take place, then there needs to be incentive for TEAMS to go out and receive benefit.

2. Replace the default title level with something like class A, B, C, etc. You receive a title like lieutenant or captain after successful kills in pvp. Instead of a token system, you can have the game check for pvp title level when attempting to wear things purchased in a pvp store stocked with special gear. To prevent pvp titles from unbalancing the actual level held, there could be a cap on pvp title per character level. For example, a Class A title level soldier could raise from private to corporal in pvp titles until his levels permit promotion to Class B title level. Within the Class B title level he could rise from corporal to staff sergeant, and so on….

3. Combat from Vehicles - Its silly to me that in a futuristic world you don't see combat from vehicles. This may be far out there but bear with me: make new classes that specialize in nano vehicular warfare. For example, aerospace fighter, mecha pilots and heavy armor (tank) pilots will have similar nano formulas as some of the other pet classes, except they take the form of combat vehicles similar to the way adventurers take the form of animal life. With a mixture of self buffs, area of effect attacks, extra armor and or maneuverability, you could really ****e up the battlefield and make the world seem like a futuristic one. In the case of flying vehicles, yes it will be difficult for a melee class to engage one. This would either give them reason to run for cover (perhaps trees will block line of sight) or train a ranged weapon (however, the old saying, "bringing a knife to a gunfight" comes to mind). You shouldn’t nerf and entire game system of aerial combat simply because two of the classes specialize in melee combat. This is a choice that they make in career paths. In real life you wont see a swordsman shaking his fist in the air at a gunship raining fire down on his head... he will duck in a building for cover and call his buddies who are lining up the gunship with an anti-aircraft weapon. Indoors the pilot classes would simply take a smaller form of the vehicle, similar to the way agents use the ruse line of size decreasing buff.

Another way of doing this would be to give the engineer new nano formulas or make the creation a trade skill. The vehicles would require special skills in piloting, vehicle gunnery, electrical engineering, etc. This would allow classes to specialize in piloting the vehicle instead of their normal weaponry. In the case of heavy armored craft, speed and evasion would be decreased for increased armor, hp and weapon damage. In order to equip the special vehicular weaponry, the pilot would need to be polymorphed in a similar manner as the adventurer animal form buffs. In the case of fast moving attack vehicles, armor and damage are reduced for increased speed and evades. In the case of troop transports, friends would be able to climb inside the polymorphed character to break line of site, while the pilot receives increased armor, hp and slightly reduced movement rates. This type of craft would be useful for strikes deep into enemy territory.
    "Look closely at those who wish to define good and evil, for they will often disguise cruelty and avarice as the perpetuation of their so-called righteousness"

how about?

making a new mission type?

get a PvP mission, enter the mission area, and it's kind of like a regular mission, except up to X players from each side can join in.

the objective would be simple, retrieve an item or whatever, first team to the objective wins, but the whole time you have to watch for clanners/omni players.

Originally posted by Oboe
    making a new mission type?

get a PvP mission, enter the mission area, and it's kind of like a regular mission, except up to X players from each side can join in.

the objective would be simple, retrieve an item or whatever, first team to the objective wins, but the whole time you have to watch for clanners/omni players.
    I think this is close to a description of Camelot castle, assuming that killing the unique mobs is the objective. Can't just pull it as a mission, though. You have to wait for a spawn.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Red face Umm....

I don't think there's much wrong with pvp, I like doing it, but I do get frustrated with the classes that just kill, like Traders, they are truely gods! with that ransack and deprive I hit for 1/10dmg max! That is kinda insane, but other then those darn traders I have no complaints...
    kittiebabie: Doctor...nuf said
    Angelbabie: Martial Artist

The point I tried to make is that the way pvp is being handled and rewarded does NOTHING to foster large scale conflict. It's nothing more than a bunch of people running around playing solo super hero. Yes, I have heard of large scale battles happening from time to time, but damn...don't you want to see teams going out on search and destroy missions and get SOMETHING out of it besides bragging rights? Why is it you get a little title during a WAR by hunting SOLO. Unless success in warfare during this age is defined in gladiatorial style personal conflict, what I have seen thus far isn’t a war at all. Hopefully, they will be making some much needed changes to the conflict with the introduction of the new expansion.
    "Look closely at those who wish to define good and evil, for they will often disguise cruelty and avarice as the perpetuation of their so-called righteousness"

I feel that Rubi-Ka is safer then London. Its so sterile that you cannot possible get harmed unless you wanted to.

Everyone should be able to kill anyone from opposing faction. Its a war after all.

However, I don't mind if you would have to carry a penalty for killing someone far below your own level. This could also be made in away that would make you lose your PvP title, but only if you drew blood first.

Also if you are killed by someone far beyond your own level, you should not lose XP or have to regenerate.

Yup, titles are bad, all your hard work goes down the drain the moment you die, and you cant team with your mates, which takes away half the fun.