Thread: Channel42 New Management

Channel42 New Management

The broadcasting array hosted at RUR's HQ that for the past four years that has been helping Channel 42 reach all but the most remote regions of Rubi-Ka has found a new home! A bunch of radio enthusiasts at AO Universe have agreed to take over making sure that the signal stays strong and loud.

Many thanks to the nice folk at AOU (and in particular Uragon) for helping out and let's all enjoy the next four years of Channel42!

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL EXISTING USERS!

TO TUNE IN TO THE NEW IMPROVED CHANNEL 42 YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE EXISTING CHANNEL42 ENTRY IN YOUR BUDDY LIST, LOG OFF AND LOG ON AGAIN.
    Last edited by Dabblez; Sep 10th, 2008 at 20:27:13.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Dabblez for being our radio host for almost four years. The fact that Omni-Tek employees, Clans(wo)men, Clansneuters and Neutrals alike have been keeping this project alive for such a long time is truly a legacy that I won't take lightly.

The Channel42 equipment is still settling in to the new location, so please excuse any glitches in service and lack of old functionality. I'll get it all back online how it used to be I hope in no time.

Since the move meant a change in Comms ID of the bot, that could mean a bit of trouble for "return chatters". If you find the bot as offline in your buddy list (under either the category "Offline Friends" or "Recent Messages"), you need to perform the following steps to get Channel42 working for you:
    • Perform the comms command "/cc rembuddy Channel42"
    • Log out of AO and log back in
    • Unsubscribe from the old Channel42 private group in all chat windows
    • Type /tell Channel42 !join
    • When prompted, select the chat windows the new Channel42 private group should go to.

I hope these steps will make the transition smooth for everyone. If there are any problems, please do not hesitate to contact me in person either on these forums or by comms.
    Uragon -- Former Director of Omni-Pol

When running from an angry mob, it is not really necessary to be faster than it. It totally suffices to be faster than your teammates.

What in the world is channel42 and what does it do?

Channel42 is chatbot designed to serve the roleplaying community of Atlantean of any faction. It's intended use is for in-character chit-chat but ooc AO related talk is permitted as well, within reason. To differentiate between in-character and out-of-character talk, players are requested to follow the well established convention of using (( )) or [ ] to denote ooc.

For story purposes, Channel42 is a fictional frequency on a equally fictional Rubi-Kan CB radio network. The tradition Citizen Broadcast radio(also known as 'ham radio') goes back 30,000 years. Back then truck drivers, fisherman or just enthusiasts of the hooby would pass the time chatting with strangers over the radio waves. Nowadays the modern Rubi-Kan still enjoys the entertainment and companionship provided the old ham radio system especially on those long journeys across the Shadowlands or while waiting patiently for T.I.M. to come out and play.

The backstory of Channel42 really is there to provide a context, a reason as to why characters, who in many instances may have never met in play and may be from opposite factions, find themselves chatting to each other. Brownie points will be awarded to players who use actual CB slang on Channel42 who or make static noise sounds between sentences.

Basic Commands
    To join /tell Channel42 !join You will then need to doubleclick the flashing light in your friends list.

To leave /tell Channel42 !leave

UPDATE:

At the risk of stealing Uragon's thunder, I jut wanted to let everyone know that CH42 now supports auto-invites.

If you want Ch42 to prompt you to tune in whenever you log on, just type:

/tell Channel42 !autoinvite on

Thanks Dabblez, it's much appreciated! And here is another little update...

AO Universe is proud to announce one more feature for Channel42, which came as a synergy between the grid site and our radio operations. The Rubi-Ka Times headlines are now announced in Channel42 as part of the regular carrier frequencies, as well as for citizens tuning in to the frequency.
    Uragon -- Former Director of Omni-Pol

When running from an angry mob, it is not really necessary to be faster than it. It totally suffices to be faster than your teammates.

Is there a way to remove or at least limit the Rubi-Ka Times news feed into Channel42?

While I dont mind an announcement of a heading, and possibly link to article, the recent move to apparently publishing the entire article via a butt load of spam into the Channel42 channel, is totally annoying.

The current article from Rubi-Ka Times being listed.. the first 4 lines are useful (though still way to wordy as a repeated interruption into the channel IMHO)..but the following 30+ lines is a absurd amount of spam overflowing most people's text based channels..
    Dr. Alexsey Tereskov, Major, Medical Services
    Omni-Tek Armed Forces, Urban Division

OT-AF Urban Division

Sounds pretty broken. It should just be posting a link to click to get an information window.

EDIT: Assuming you mean via AORC?