Thread: DOTs useless in PvP now?

Thumbs down DOTs useless in PvP now?

I don't like the -50% off of DOTs. As a PvP doc I rely on them for a lot of damage. Right now my 54 a tick DOT does about 27. At level 50, 27 a tick couldn't kill a friggin thing. It wouldn't even take a NT to 3/4 life. 54 was much more useful to me. DOTs weren't that incredibly effective in the first place, why did they have to get a swing from the nerf stick too?

Are you sure that your dot is reduced? I've seen alot of reports on these boards that the dot's don't seem to be effected (or someone is running around with a 300 dot).

If in doubt...get a pal to go into the arena with ya.

Unhappy DOT's are caped in 1/2 so are our nukes

So it's not possible to kill anyone anymore with our professions specific abilities.

DOTs are much more effective in PvP than they used to be beacue PvP lasts a long time now.

Pre-13.0 a DoT would hit once or twice before the fight was over. Now fights last a long time, especially if a doctor is involved.

They won't kill anyone but they sure can whittle away at health. Combine them with Exhaust muscles or a similar debuff for more effect. Doc are going to have to have a more conventional way to deal damage IF they want to participate in solo PvP.

Unhappy Hmmm...

Why do u even care to reply on the isue without even have a clue what ur talking about. Try have a look at the dmg of a dot then cap it in 1/ 2 how mutch dmg will it do now?? and if u nuke and cast a debuff, and maybe heal once or twise, well than my friend ur nanopool is dry.... at my lvl i can't kill anyone anymore that has over 3k hp. And i'm talking abouth doc's that wan't to use dot's and nukes as theyr given abilities to PvP with. And i can tell ya, PvP was a lot better before the patch for a doc, then i could ue mutch the same tactic as nt's did cast my dot's from far away and getting out of range. That was tactic in PvP, now to stand toe on toe with other professions ends with me loosing every time, our nanopool aint made for the purpose of figting for 2-3 min, neither is my profession made to be a tank, i can't wear tankarmor or batlesuit. Yes we can wield wpn, but it drain lots of ip that should be spent in other areas, and why should we? it's like a nt wielding a gun doing FA/burst/fling and do PvP with that. No... a doc should be able to do PvP with dot's and nuke, or profession specific abilities.

Dunno.. I've personally been hit in 2HO by a DoT that did like 120-150 damage a tick and lasted for like 2-3 min. I have not taken the time to research it but is there any DoTs like that held by any profession? If thats half damage that would be a 240-300 damage DoT ouchy! I'm not saying your wrong but thats whats happened to me.

As to running out of nano.. I feel your pain..(I play a level 91 NT) We both consume insane amounts of nano and since missions give such paultry creds now and the number of nano kits I go through to run them.. unless I get with a good group that lets me loot or does alpha I feel like I am going through kits faster than the Docs with less recognition for the effort and expense.
    -Entropy:
    The only game you cannot win...

yep there is a 250-300 dot

It's called something like disassemble flesh, debond tissue, or something like that. It used to do 3000+ over 1 min or so. Now it will only do 1500, how sad =[. It will only kill a level 100 or so nano race now all by itself =[.

Isn't this just another example of a 1 shot kill weapon?

I think half damage for everything was a good idea. I'm glad that in the next patch pets will do 50% as well.

Also with the 15 sec of invunerability people will be able to avoid pvp all together if they want to at zones, which will be good too.

Red face

Well no dot's from a doc that last so long with that 1/2 dmg out there, our higest dot made 544 dmg every 8 sec for 120 sec.
    to cast that dot, u have to be lvl150+ with all ur plants up, and for every 2,5 tick of that dot ppl could hit firstaid. Now the dot only do 272 dmg every 8 sec, so it's even more easy to survive.
    And that dot is not even an god option to cast since it all alone drain 1/2 the nanopool of the caster.

http://aoforums.funcom.com/showthread.php?threadid=312

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    It's called something like disassemble flesh, debond tissue, or something like that. It used to do 3000+ over 1 min or so. Now it will only do 1500, how sad =[. It will only kill a level 100 or so nano race now all by itself =[.

Isn't this just another example of a 1 shot kill weapon?

I think half damage for everything was a good idea. I'm glad that in the next patch pets will do 50% as well.

Also with the 15 sec of invunerability people will be able to avoid pvp all together if they want to at zones, which will be good too.
    Darn how many times can u hit first aid during 60 sec? 3 times.... and should it not be an option for a lvl 150+ to be able to "easy" kill a lvl 100??? if not, then why the heck even bother to lvl so we can use those dot's. A nt or doc don't have the same ability to "buff" them selv into high lvl dot's as wpn professions have. yes we can have short lived buffs from a MP but darn...is that even a option to go look for one every time u want to go hunt ppl in mayhem zone.

And btw that lvl 100 would most sertainly have killed me at 130'ich with his roots, debuffspells and his shield even pre-patch.

Let me ilustarte an example, 2 dot's that stack 315 and 290, witch a doc are able to use at about lvl 125+ with high lvl plants, those dot's now do 3025 dmg, and with the ability for that 100 nt to use shield, hit firstaid 3 times those 2 dot's would only do like 800-1k dmg! Since nor nukes or dot's inititate combat our targets could even sit down and use medkits :-) and that nt would easy kill me after 13.0 since he can cast a debuffspell, he has humidity, and he can still cast nice nukes that i only can heal untill my nanopool is dry.

I'm not saying that PvP was to god pre'patch but it was way better than now and what do a 3 - 5 min fight bring into PvP? Most casterprofessions even got worse after with our rangenerf, and dmg cap. Casters do slow dmg, we can't cast if we move, we can't cast when our nanopool is dry.

The bigest problem Prepatch was that instakill, and most of that would have be solved with 40% dmg cap on specials.

Frodur

Man I agree with you. Those dot's should be lethal. I don't think the answer is to make a special damage concession to casters with the current PVP system. I think the current system needs to be re-thought out. =]

Maybe the 40% max per hit damage cap should stay
    Maybe the 50% reduction of damage should go
    Maybe players should be given 30% more HP to help balance PVP with PVM.

Anyway I hope the whole system is improved. All this friction between classes and the current PVP system seems to make for a lot of unhappy campers.

30% more HP

Giving all players 30% more HP is the same as reducing attack damage by 23% across the board in PvP & PvM. The big difference here is that healing is not made more powerfull but the monsters less. It is still likely to end up where nano players run out of nano before making a dent. You would likley have to increase nano points and humidity extractors by the same percentage to balance things. But more importantly you see how all these variables are connected (and I'm sure I'm missing a few here). So in the end here what we end up with is PvP combat that takes a touch longer ad monster combat that has gotten slightly easier. The 40% cap is ok since it keeps you from getting wasted by ubertwinks on the first hit. The other probosal I would like to see is that the PvP protection that keeps players of too high a level from attacking you be extended to about 100-125 instead of 75.. Since 75 is when players are just starting to get powerfull enough to starting heading out into the PvP and mayhem zones. Raising that cieling will give them time to learn the tactics and get past the title maxing that occurs around level 80 to 90. Nothing like getting wiped by a level 150+ when your below 100 to tick you off since you really have no hope of wining.
    -Entropy:
    The only game you cannot win...

yep

you are right about the NP, it would have to be scaled up too and I doubt anyone would complain. PVM would be a bit easier, and i doubt anyone would complain. I think it would be great to balance it out with BETTER AI from the NPCs so they could be closer to players in actions. I agree healing would be weakened a bit but healing is already very powerful. I team with a really good doc and myself 108 soldier, a 120 ma and the 129 doc can tank 3 vets, because even tho vets can tap me for 1k a hit she can heal me faster. You could scale healing up too, but I don't think it will effect the balance as much.

I was aware that adding HP to players is the same as a total reduction in damage for pvp, but it helps get the PVM aspect of the game back in wack.