Thread: 13.5 vs 13.4

13.5 vs 13.4

Ok, I see all this stuff about 13.4, but nothing about 13.5. The reason I question this is I didn't have a problem til 13.5 was implemented. Now I'm back to a framerate that I can't play with. I get this syrup then quicksilver consistency of movement that is driving me crazy. I've checked my drivers, reduced almost everthing in the Visual menu of the OPT and also most of the Environment effects have been disabled. Still nothing changes. I've talked with others and there has been varying degrees of this with others, but none seem as bad as mine. Anyone have a clue what is happening? I have a nVidia TNT2 M64 video card with the recommended driver from FC. I have 512 Meg of RAM in a 1.7 P4 machine, using a DSL hookup. Thanks for any help.

Hammer

I hate to say it.. but that card really isn't gonna cut it :\
    Although I personally saw no difference between the patches - You would be well off updating your video card - it would make a *lot* of difference.

Other than that, try running the speedread.exe again.

Um, can you expound on this? Everything was fine after 13.2, same with 13.4, but as soon as 13.5 came, these problems returned. Why would my card be ok for two patches, now not hacking it? Btw, this is a brand new system and while I know it's not the best card out there, it was the best in any of the systems. Is it really a problem with my card not being up to par or FC not being able to program (ie, what is causing this)? I assume you know something since you've made this assessment.

Hammer

I woudl try UNDOING the speedread. I've found on highend systems that the speedread makes things WAY more choppier.
    -----
    "NT's can't over equip armor beyond implants and general buffs (no insane Intelligence or Psychic buffs) and can't overequip weapons since they use direct-damage, damage-over-time and nanoformula methods that require your actually stats and buffs to be active for you to use them. Don't complain about us being powerful when you obviously haven't even played one past level 100. NT's - the original red-headed stepchild of Anarchy Online." - Zaal

To Zaal

Tried that, but didn't do much. Did find a "newer" driver, though it didn't completely get rid of the problem. Strangely the day after all the problems with chat and I'm back to stable graphics. I'm thinking something was done behind to scenes, but will probably never know.

Hammer

Hammer:

Hello friend,

Funcom have updated their graphics card FAQ to include the nVidia Detonator XP drivers (23.11).

You can find them at: http://www.nividia.com.

I have been playing on the 23.11 drivers for three days now. No crashes ... but I run on an AMD Athlon-C CPU <grin>.

Another suggestion is to turn Compressed Textures OFF ... if you have that AO graphics option turned ON. Turning Compressed Textures OFF seems to have helped many AO gamers since the 13.4 and 13.5 patches were installed.

And if your TNT2 has a hardware "z-buffer" in it (the nVidia GForce cards have one), please turn the AO "w-buffer" option OFF so the game will use the hardware z-buffer in your graphics card.

I suggest you make these changes one at a time to see which of them fixes your problem.

Hope this helps ...
    Chynn
    Omni nano NT, Male, Level 200
    Council of Testers

Originally posted by MiKEBoND
    I hate to say it.. but that card really isn't gonna cut it :\
    Although I personally saw no difference between the patches - You would be well off updating your video card - it would make a *lot* of difference.

Other than that, try running the speedread.exe again.
    Ditch the speedread... it is the problem!! (with nvidia cards annyway)
    Got a 3D Blaster Nvidia Riva TNT 2 M64 with ZERO complaints about framerate, but im NOT running speedred.. game lags to hell WITH speedread...

Hope that makes a diffrence!!

Syrup vs. quicksilver

Make sure you're using the right camera view.

I noticed that when I hit F8 to go to first person and then F8 again to third person it switches to some weird mode where the camera repositions itself constantly as I move, which is REALLY annoying and makes it look like you're swimming in mollasses.

My solution is to hit Ctrl-F8 a few times until it goes back to the more reasonable camera mode.

My only wish would be that the numeric keypad arrows that reposition the camera were less sensitive. It's really hard to get the camera angle the way I like it.