Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director – June 2008

Letter from the Game Director – June 2008

Here we are, seven years on from the week when bold pioneers took their first steps on Rubi-Ka and I couldn’t think of a better occasion to talk a little about the past, present and future. This letter might be a little longer than our usual messages but given the anniversary you’ll have to forgive me the chance for a little retrospective of the game as well as a little peak to what’s ahead for the future!

I, like everyone else outside the development team, first experienced Rubi-Ka as a player. Despite the issues at the game launch, I saw - maybe even felt - something very unique in the game’s setting, characters and world that drew me and very quickly had me under its spell. It’s hard to believe that it’s been seven years since we all took those first tentative steps into the world of Rubi-Ka.

From running from Mini-bulls in Athen Shire (don’t laugh, they were really vicious to a poor newbie back then!) through wandering and fighting outdoors at Bully Bridge and the cyborgs in Avalon the early experiences barely hinted at what would come down the years. Exploring the Shadowlands for the first time really excited me and brought with it a whole new world to explore (and came as quite a pleasant break from Broken Shores missions!) before the alien invasion brought with it an entirely different type of challenge.

As a player I enjoyed the game for quite a few years before the opportunity arose to head to Norway and become part of the team here. It’s really an honour to be here addressing you all on the occasion of the seventh anniversary. It’s a testament to the talent and ability of everyone that has worked on the game down the years that we are where we are today. On a personal level, being able to work with this group of people has been fantastic and creating the content with the current development team sometimes makes me think this might just be the best job in the world.

Hopefully we have been able to leave our own mark on the evolution of Rubi-Ka and you are all enjoying the content and updates that we shape and craft each and every day.

Looking back now, I am very proud to be able to review all the additions to the game that have happened down the years and realise just how far we have come in the seven years of the game’s existence.

I can’t talk about seven years of the game without mentioning the true heart of the game, and that’s the players! From the many thousands that have volunteered for ARK down the years, tirelessly giving up their own play-time to help others (for which they have my eternal thanks!) to all those that have contributed to the player communities down the years, the effort of all those people has shaped Rubi-Ka into what it is today.

From the parties to weddings and every form of player interaction in between, it’s sometimes a little awe inspiring to witness what an online community like the one around the game can accomplish both for each other and for us as developers. It is that level of community that really breathes a whole different type of life into the game that goes beyond missions, hunting, pvp and character advancement.

That community also does drive the game’s development, and I don’t mean just in terms of feedback and testing. The community around the game and its development down the years is why I have ended up here working on the game, and that goes for almost the entire development team as well. All of the developers that work on the game now are here because of what Anarchy Online was, is, and will become. It is with a real degree of pride that I sort through the applications whenever we advertise for open positions on the team. Each and every time I see so many great applications from so many talented people, be they artists, coders, writers or designers that are all tied together by one defining note – an honest and genuine love of the game. It comes out in the applications and it comes through in those we interview, quite apart from making recruitment much less painful it is fantastic to know that the game promotes such passion and support from those that play it.

So what about the future?

The next game update will be the addition of a true raid interface for the game. As I mentioned in the last letter this new functionality will allow for up to six groups to be linked into one raid group that is considered a single entity and allows for its own chat channels, loot rules and visibility of member’s health and nano status. It’s currently very close to being ready for the test dimension where we run it through its paces and get players feedback on it. This will be released as a 17.10 update sometime over the next couple of months, pending the results of the testing of course. With a new tool like this the key stage will be the user feedback and making sure it’s a fitting tool for the intended purpose. With it will also come a change to some of the existing playfields to make them into true raid instances that bind to the raid group and allow players to take on these challenges on their own timetable and schedule. The first playfields to be converted in this manner will be the first three alien playfields. We are also looking into the viability of instancing Pandemonium, but no promises there just yet. We would like to make that playfield a raid instance but it’s also a more complicated set-up that might mean we have a few challenges to overcome to convert it.

The next big content addition will be the 18.0 update that will take the form of a new Booster Pack for the game. This pack will contain a story driven set of playfields in the Outzones of Rubi-Ka that continues the alien, Xan and Dustbrigade storylines and starts to reveal some of the long held secrets of Rubi-Ka. What is the relationship of the aliens to Rubi-Ka? Exactly how do the ancient Xan relate to the planet itself and what have the Dust Brigade got to do with it all?

In terms of game-play the pack will contain several new playfields. Players who purchase the booster pack will get access to a new mission and quest ‘hub’ deep in the Outzone where a dramatic discovery has been made. This will then lead on to two larger scale areas with quest and mission content. Completing objectives and missions in those areas will then open up three new team instances where players will take part in great new boss encounters.

There will of course be new items of various descriptions to collect from the new areas, but we will be saving the details on those for a little closer to the booster pack’s release.

Lastly, but by no means least, we are still working on the render engine upgrade. As I also mentioned in the previous letter we are currently in a lengthy part of the process where we are stripping out the old engine entirely and integrating a new one, and testing that all the game’s key features still work! The development continues to be good, though, and we will be sure to keep you all up to date as we progress. It’s quite a formidable task and we won’t rush it out.

So that’s a little overview of what you can expect to see over the coming months. What would a birthday be without some presents, though?

There are also a series of great offers being made to celebrate the birthday so there has never been a better time to dive in and experience everything that Anarchy Online has to offer.

All existing players will be receiving 700 paid points as a special gift from us to celebrate the anniversary and of course there are some nifty in-game gifts as well. Make sure you locate one of the Party Planners who will start to appear on Rubi-Ka on the 27th and will be around offering birthday gifts for an entire week.

You can find all the details on the official site here.

Seven years have certainly provided a lot of twists and turns in the development of Anarchy Online, and it’s great to be able to look back and see exactly what the game has come to mean to so many people. If I was to toast to anything on this occasion it’s to everyone who makes the game what it is today, be they current or past developers or current or past players. I really hope that in seven years time someone will be able to be sat here writing another message like this!
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    The next game update will be the addition of a true raid interface for the game (...) allows for its own chat channels, loot rules and visibility of member’s health and nano status
    Sweet!

This will be released as a 17.10 update
    Haha, poor Deb

The first playfields to be converted in this manner will be the first three alien playfields.
    So its true after all
    Even tho apf point systems will fall, im quite happy bout that ^^

We are also looking into the viability of instancing Pandemonium
    *gasp*
    All the pande grind...over?

but it’s also a more complicated set-up that might mean we have a few challenges to overcome to convert it.
    Heck, wish ya all the good luck of Rubi-Ka!!
    You survived...You prevailed....Yet a bird's flight knows no end...
    Reality is a momentary dream but a dream is a reality for an eternity.

Kawaii "Koizumi" Akira - 220/25/70 soon-to-be-Berserk MA (refreshing!)
    Deadalus "Yumeno" Proxy - 220/30/70 Former stunwhore
    One "Namichan" Piece - 220/30/68 Drainwhore
    Aj Ar "Spawara" Triplenab - 220/24/45 Nuke-Welder
    IOmnomnomjoor "Emohatetellz" - 2/0/0 TL5 killer in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Quitter123 View Post
    How about this new nano for enfs, it takes random amount of nanoskills and nano to cast, when landed on random opponent it debuffs random weaponskill by random amount for an unspecified length of time.

*Eagerly anticipates the render engine. *

Edit: Ah, looks like the new booster pack should help fragment the player community even more.
    Last edited by Jenshai; Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:01:08.

No. No No No No No No No. No to instanced Pande. Dont take the last bits of fun i have in this game, thank you very much.

Some of us are enjoying raiding it not with +80 people raidbots, but with small groups of friends and competing with others groups for the loot, dont ruin our fun like that.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    No. No No No No No No No. No to instanced Pande. Dont take the last bits of fun i have in this game, thank you very much.

Some of us are enjoying raiding it not with +80 people raidbots, but with small groups of friends and competing with others groups for the loot, dont ruin our fun like that.
    qft
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Sounds very promising Sil

Couple of questions tho:

• Are we looking at a new type of xp or increased level caps with the xan playfields booster or just new items?
    • What kind of minimum and recomended system requirements will AO have with the new engine? (I realise that's hard to answer while the code is still non-optimized, but a ballpark figure would be nice.)

I hate to sound like a party pooper but i notice as usual the 'Win a PC' competition is US only. Just like the concert was.

C'mon FC, USA isnt the center of the world....how about making this stuff available to the rest of us, or at least having a second competition for those living outside the USA?
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

I have a question regarding the presents for the 7th birthday of AO (because I am not sure if I catched that):

We are also giving you 7 buddy keys to invite friends to try the game. With these buddy keys your friends will be able to discover and enjoy the wonders of Rubi-Ka! These keys give a full 30 days of free play with all expansions enabled(...)
    All of these special offers are only available until July 4th, so be sure not to miss the opportunity, and join us in celebrating the wonderful history of Anarchy Online!

Does it mean that if I get this buddy keys, they are usable only to the 4th of July or you can use them even later?

Is not Funcom who organize the concour, but gamesthing.

Please Funcom, organize or sell or Great big leet doll irl !

Thumbs down

i say DOH!...We all waited for a new graphic patch and were getting raid stuff...and future updates...when will the render engin be finally implemented...at least give us an estimation....Jan 09???? wtb answer..pst ..tiping uber well
    Originally Posted by Cephus at AOUniverse
    I look at WoW as the crap-filter of the MMO world. It attracts all the idiots and lets the rest of us play in relative peace.

Time to spend all my old APF + Pande points

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    I hate to sound like a party pooper but i notice as usual the 'Win a PC' competition is US only. Just like the concert was.

C'mon FC, USA isnt the center of the world....how about making this stuff available to the rest of us, or at least having a second competition for those living outside the USA?
    /signed..

I filled out the form up to the point where I had to choose.. "living in the forest" or "living under a bush" :\
    Gimp army from outer space:
    Falkvinge.::.Synneve.::.Gothangel.::.Devilbunny.::.Ulcerosa.::.Alywen

I hate to sound like a party pooper...
    You are.

On a side note, there are laws in each country about contests. They would have to make a contest for each country. How about this. I wont enter, you PM me with your info and I'll enter it for you. You have to pay for shipping if you win. :P
    - Ruken -... 18X Martial Artist
    - Khorak -.. 17X Enforcer
    - Kethis -... 17X Engineer
    - Equillian -... 16X Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by ruken View Post
    On a side note, there are laws in each country about contests. They would have to make a contest for each country. How about this.
    Speaking of laws. Wouldn't this contest be illegal in canada? I seem to remember reading something about them only allowing games of skill? (Canada is ironically the only other country than the US where you can enter the competition)

Looks like it may be time to OD the points bots harder than I've ever attempted before. I'll miss the zerg's anguish after these changes are made.

On a serious note, I'm digging the changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Hopefully the new playfields will have some low-mid level content as well, I'm sick of doing LE missions and Mortiigs.

Either way, it all sounds awesome.

For competitions like those we rely on the sponsorship of the partners that are providing the prizes. As much as we might love to include everyone, we have to abide by the region restrictions of those sponsors. We do look for competitions that can be as wide ranging as possible, but we won't refuse ones simply on those grounds either.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

For competitions like those we rely on the sponsorship of the partners that are providing the prizes. As much as we might love to include everyone, we have to abide by the region restrictions of those sponsors. We do look for competitions that can be as wide ranging as possible, but we won't refuse ones simply on those grounds either.
    Makes sense, but.. not everything lies in the hands of a sponsor ( Like the AO Lifetime Membership.. )

...sometimes makes me think this might just be the best job in the world....
    ...I really hope that in seven years time someone will be able to be sat here writing another message like this!
    Decrypted: I can only sometimes think that this is the best job in the world because it also requires me to come down in the forums, gasp! So I will resign and you will ba talking to someone else in 7 years.
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    Decrypted: I can only sometimes think that this is the best job in the world because it also requires me to come down in the forums, gasp! So I will resign and you will ba talking to someone else in 7 years.
    A bit OT, but it looks like they have at least some nice parties...

Mmmm food:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/...43c7ff1d_o.jpg

I wonder what his plans are...:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/...f3382aed80.jpg

Sleep... anyone? (okay.. maybe an allergic :\ )
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/...091581af_o.jpg

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast