Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director – June 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ittledoc View Post
    Agentgimpy.. incorrect on the rendering part.

Sil stated: "...The render engine upgrade is coming along nicely and we are still hoping that we will be able to launch it later this year." in this POST

and again above: "...The development continues to be good..."

Now to ME, that means: "we are on course" unless Sil corrects me, I am looking forward "to launch it later this year."
    Well, I'll stick with the info from the newest post. Perhaps there have been some unforeseen problems?

Either way, are you suggesting 17.10 is followed by 17.12, or would it be 17.20, or maybe 17.10.2? My head is getting tired of all these trips to reclaim.
    why Why WHY ?!?!?!

I have questions on the Outzone PFs.

Is this going to be for all level ranges, or mostly TL7?
    Will there be solo content?

Thanks
    Aleah, MA :: Zhoie, Doctor :: Scarlett, Soldier
    Neutral, (former) President of Art of War

Dipping my toe back in, thinking of returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    For the record, this is an exploit I am totally cool with people using. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aleah View Post
    I have questions on the Outzone PFs.

Is this going to be for all level ranges, or mostly TL7?
    Will there be solo content?

Thanks
    Good Question.. I read it as non title specific (Sil... nice ambiguous notes .. just enough to tease)

And agentgimpy... unsure... Sil didn't mention WHAT package/update the render engine would appear. I would like to think 18.0 as it is a whole update change, not fractional. The render engine (I feel from past programming experience) is a fundamental change to the software package and may be in line with the booster
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    With it will also come a change to some of the existing playfields to make them into true raid instances that bind to the raid group and allow players to take on these challenges on their own timetable and schedule.\
    No more need of Glarawyn's Alien Playfield Spawn Time Guesstimator? Damn you, damn you all!

Seriously though, despite the hours that went into coding, find tuning, and expanding it from something that was just a web page into something it is a staple of in game activity, I have no problem having my work replaced with something far superior. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    USA isnt the center of the world...
    That's a lie and you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by Armadyll1 View Post
    what this means basically is once again only the biggest orgs will have enough people and resources to pull off these raids anytime they feel like, the rest of will just have to get in line, and already people face waiting days/weeks/months for a group that's doing their specific quest.
    If the current Outzone Playfields were instanced a public raidbot such as Campalot could run multiple raids at once: be it doing all three playfields at the same time or multiple instances of the same play field. This is of course assuming that enough key professions (Enforcers, Doctors) show up and there are enough damage dealers in attendance to split one huge raid force into multiple smaller raid groups. My understanding of what was posted is that each raid group would wind up in their own instance.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Instancing the APF and maybe pande is a move toward the awesome. One of the main problems I have with the game is these raids, I find them ridiculously stupid.

Curse that it sounds like the new engine isn't for 18.0, but the booster pack looks decent.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Sounds cool.

Will the new Playfields be like normal Zones, or are they kind of like Dungeons?
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

I'm wondering, since APFs are going to be instanced will they still run on a timer or will we be able to do them whenever we want?
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Nice updates Sil, heres to looking forward to a bright future for AO.. keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Armadyll1 View Post
    ...but put into practice and well, we start to face a serious problem. AO's small population that's still here can't exactly fit everyone into such a scenario, what this means basically is once again only the biggest orgs will have enough people and resources to pull off these raids anytime they feel like, the rest of will just have to get in line, and already people face waiting days/weeks/months for a group that's doing their specific quest.
    I have to partially agree here. Unless you sit waiting (if you have that time), it will be hard for some to attend. At least with the timer'd raids, you knew when to expect them. I knew when to ask for a kitchen pass from my wife to play (of course the reverse is true if the raid tanks or doens't gain enough toons for participation)

I would like to know if the instanced fields will be "scaled" or similar to APFs where there is a static # of mobs no matter how large the raid force.
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    I'm wondering, since APFs are going to be instanced will they still run on a timer or will we be able to do them whenever we want?
    I would think that you'd probably end up with a hostile nano in NCU that locks you out of the playfield for a period of time, much like Sector 42.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    I would think that you'd probably end up with a hostile nano in NCU that locks you out of the playfield for a period of time, much like Sector 42.
    I figure they will most likely keep the "gates opening" stuff the same, rather than add another mechanic in the form of a hostile nano that locks you out. That would just make it more difficult to get a raidforce together if you can't find people without that running in their NCU. If they do add a lockout nano, the timer better sure as hell keep running when you're offline. I'm not sure if that's how Sec. 42's works since I've never been there.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Just convert the money you would of paid for the expansion to buy paid points and buy it...
    Not quite a good option if for example I look at my account and discover I was only 10 Paid Points short.

Would require buying a large amount of PP when I only need a tiny amount.

I would prefer I just paid for the booster straight out with cash like other expansions.
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofox1 View Post
    Not quite a good option if for example I look at my account and discover I was only 10 Paid Points short.

Would require buying a large amount of PP when I only need a tiny amount.

I would prefer I just paid for the booster straight out with cash like other expansions.
    This is why I hope they will make Paid Points just an alternative to buying it the "ol' fashioned way". I can see the benefits for those that have stocked up a bit of Paid Points from their subscriptions, also if you have no immediate desire for a Leet pet, jobe luxury pad, etc.. You can keep the 700 Paid Points we get from the birthday and save em for the Booster Pack. All of this of course relies on the fact that you have more Paid Points than it will cost for the booster pack. So either they should make it more customizable when buying Paid Points (100 PP intervals would be handy at the very least) or use it as an alternative way of gaining the booster pack.

Otherwise, it all looks good. Was hoping for a bit more definitive status update on the new engine, but the news concerning the Raid Interface and instancing of some of the older raids does look very promising
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by agentgimpy View Post
    Either way, are you suggesting 17.10 is followed by 17.12
    I would have thought 11 came after 10, not 12.

Anyways... How far along is the new engine Sil? From the way you were talking it sounds like you've got a long long way to go and we should expect it some time late next year.
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Getting closer to 18.0 is like getting closer to the absolute zero temperature.

jk, good job sil + others

New outzone playfields:
    I definitely like how this story line is going, although it is rather mysterious. This latest update was neat.

Could you give an indication as to the size of this new area? Are we talking just one or two new zones with a hub (ala the original three APFs) or a much more intricate map, such as SL?

I know I am not the only one aching for a large, new beautiful area to run around in.

Render engine:
    Some time ago you (I am pretty sure it was you) indicated you would like to release the new engine with the 18.0 patch, whenever that may be. Your information in regards to the engine is still mysterious and a bit light. Is there any hope of it being co-released with the new booster? Do you still believe it will make it out this year?

And, although you already know the population wants it, can we get some more teasers of the new engine. Screenshots, side by sides, movies? You have to keep the appetite wet about these things

So, basically, if the thing is 1500 PPs then anyone who's been paying for AO for a long time will get it for free, and new subscribers will pay like $20.

Hey, I'm happy. Not so much for the froobs thinking of signing up, though.

Great job. I cant wait for the next patch. New raid interface, new playfields, great !

PS: And ... someone has to say it: a big, big LOL to those who left the game screaming "AO is dead"

I for one would have liked to see something similar to this
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...26&postcount=1
    for this years birthday as well.
    That way, even players not living under Bush or in forests might have had a chance to win something :\
    Gimp army from outer space:
    Falkvinge.::.Synneve.::.Gothangel.::.Devilbunny.::.Ulcerosa.::.Alywen

Quote Originally Posted by valedilene View Post
    Great job. I cant wait for the next patch. New raid interface, new playfields, great !

PS: And ... someone has to say it: a big, big LOL to those who left the game screaming "AO is dead"
    Thats ironic because the players also determine if a game is alive or not. I dont think anyone seriously claimed its dead from a update point of view... its just all the other shortfalls on Funcoms behalf that make people believe that this game is finally in its last twitches. And with them leaving, they are effectively killing the game. Nobody wants to play a massively multiplayer online game without the "massive" or "multiplayer" part.

Personally (and a bit egoistical), I believe that the render engine update is what will ultimately save this game and bring back more life. They should push that out the door faster. Of course Silirrion will say once again, that there are independent teams (I though "team" stands for more than one person ) working on content and the render engine...
    ಠ_ಠ

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast