Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director – June 2008

Okay, I think I can speak for most of the community when I say we would have much more preferred to get an eta on the new engine rather than anything else mentioned in the letter.

I don't know why you are so afraid to give us more detailed information, the "E" in "ETA" means "ESTIMATED"...not "EXACT!"
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

When are these paid points going to be credited to accounts? Because I either have more PPs than I should at the moment - last time I checked I had 550 and now it's reporting 700, and it should be at 600 because of my last payment - or you guys instead replaced the number of paid points instead of simply adding to it.
    Last edited by Berinda; Jun 26th, 2008 at 15:58:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    When are these paid points going to be credited to accounts? Because I either have more PPs than I should at the moment - last time I checked I had 550 and now it's reporting 700, and it should be at 600 because of my last payment - or you guys instead replaced the number of paid points instead of simply adding to it.
    The points haven't been added yet, and won't be until sometime during tomorrow / over the weekend. So any existing discrepancy should be take up with the support team at account@anarchy-online.com
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Although I really am a bit disappointed with the new engine not being released. I have to say I'm more interested in the story then I ever have been (thats saying alot). The 700 paid points was really nice I think. Thanks funcom. You basically said "Happy Birthday! heres a flying vehicle and a bunch of new social clothes!". One of the best moves I've seen you guys take in a while. Kudos.
    - Ruken -... 18X Martial Artist
    - Khorak -.. 17X Enforcer
    - Kethis -... 17X Engineer
    - Equillian -... 16X Soldier

I remember the launch seven years ago, I was trying and trying and trying to log in but simply could not squeeze through until the next day which is why Porter will be seven on Saturday not Friday :/

I had a Celeron 300MHz and Voodoo Banshee, the computer had less RAM than graphics cards have nowadays. I guess I am lucky though, all my hardware updates ever since have been AO compatible Therefore I am actually quite happy to see that raid interface thing mentioned here again, although the new graphics engine by the end of the year would be nice, too...
    /born Porter was born on Thu Jun 28 09:19:52 2001.
    I'm a Porter, Porters don't PVP.
    First Light

Will the Booster Pack be buyable with the PP system?

Happy Days
    President of RAGNAROK AO

Wanna join : Apply here --> Ragnarok Recruitment

VALHALLA OR RECLAIM !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gergiskoo View Post
    Will the Booster Pack be buyable with the PP system?
    That's the plan, the final decision lies with our sales and marketing folks and not us in production so it might change, but I think it's likely we will offer that as an option yes.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Thanks for the information Sil. I too am excited to see what will happen with the game over the next 6+ months, as we are provided with new content and lead up to the new engine's release.

The current prize sponsor has me a little confused though. While I appreciate the possibility to win a "prize" from them through this promotion, there is no clear information on the specifications of the "first place prize" computer.
    1st Prize

Custom Anarchy Online Gaming PC System from GameRigs, including:
    GameRigs Aluminum ATX Case with custom artwork
    Intel Core™ 2 processor
    NVIDIA GeForce® graphics card
    Crucial Ballistix™ memory
    NEC Accusync 24" LCD Display
    Razer Lycosa™ gaming keyboard
    Razer DeathAdder™ gaming mouse
    GameRigs "Anarchy Online" BattleMat™
    Lifetime account of Anarchy Online with all expansions
    Jobe Deluxe Apartment
    Leet Pet

What are the processor, video card, RAM, audio, hard drive, optical drive, etc. specs?

The biggest confusion with GameRigs is that there is no way to get pricing for anything on their site, aside from 3 set computers of "Estimated Selling Price", much less to purchase anything from them. I would think that they would use this promotion as an opportunity to actually sell their products to the influx of potential customers. I know I would personally be interested in buying AO themed products similar to what they are offering as prizes in the contest.

This is the same reason why the "normal sponsor", IBuyPower, has not received my business. When they first became a sponsor, I was excited to get some AO themed products, but there was nothing available. Today, there is still nothing available, yet they have an advertisement on the main site stating "Official provider for custom AO PCs and laptops". When you click on that link and go to their site, their only reference to AO is to have the game client installed for free on some systems. A process that I can do myself for "free" by going to this site, then downloading/installing it.

Can someone get the PR &/or marketing departments involved with these oversights please?
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Most things sound great that's planned for AO's future, but some things not so much... for instance(d):

Quote Originally Posted by silirrion
    With a new tool like this the key stage will be the user feedback and making sure it’s a fitting tool for the intended purpose. With it will also come a change to some of the existing playfields to make them into true raid instances that bind to the raid group and allow players to take on these challenges on their own timetable and schedule. The first playfields to be converted in this manner will be the first three alien playfields. We are also looking into the viability of instancing Pandemonium, but no promises there just yet. We would like to make that playfield a raid instance but it’s also a more complicated set-up that might mean we have a few challenges to overcome to convert it.
    While this sounds great on paper, but put into practice and well, we start to face a serious problem. AO's small population that's still here can't exactly fit everyone into such a scenario, what this means basically is once again only the biggest orgs will have enough people and resources to pull off these raids anytime they feel like, the rest of will just have to get in line, and already people face waiting days/weeks/months for a group that's doing their specific quest. Unlike with the current system where everyone can go in at once, with this idea your giving a few people the power to pick an entire raid force through favoritsm. This also means the complete destruction of current raid point systems and raid bots.

HOWEVER I will say this, on a positive note this makes more loot available to more people all at once, no more waiting long period of time for uber items, (and of much less value). if the change applies to all raid zones (tara too?), well, you get the idea... But I still tend to think instanced playfields like Conan is based on, isn't going to work well for such a small population of players, and even smaller among those who can do it...

The next big content addition will be the 18.0 update that will take the form of a new Booster Pack for the game. This pack will contain a story driven set of playfields in the Outzones of Rubi-Ka that continues the alien, Xan and Dustbrigade storylines and starts to reveal some of the long held secrets of Rubi-Ka. What is the relationship of the aliens to Rubi-Ka? Exactly how do the ancient Xan relate to the planet itself and what have the Dust Brigade got to do with it all?
    Ah so there WILL be new pf's opening in the future , at the cost of, $30.00 I'm guessing? The story to expand sounds great, but how about a little something new or getting back to old unfinished storylines? (Ross, Marlin, etc.) Or maybe tag those in on a branch off somewhere.

Lastly, but by no means least, we are still working on the render engine upgrade. As I also mentioned in the previous letter we are currently in a lengthy part of the process where we are stripping out the old engine entirely and integrating a new one, and testing that all the game’s key features still work! The development continues to be good, though, and we will be sure to keep you all up to date as we progress. It’s quite a formidable task and we won’t rush it out.
    The new engine sounds great, glad to finally hear something new about it, but the rushing it out part, you said the same thing about Conan and look what happened

About making the booster pack available for Paid Points:

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    That's the plan, the final decision lies with our sales and marketing folks and not us in production so it might change, but I think it's likely we will offer that as an option yes.
    Sweeeet!

Make it 1500 thx...I will have change for a new hat
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post

Just to clear things up, we cannot directly buy the booster pack, like we do with subscriptions and previous expansions, but we instead need purchase Paid Points and use those.

Would that be correct?
    Want triples nerfed? Here is what you can do (Don't be so retarded to apply this to todays game)

Server 1sts: Only NT, and probably non-doc to solo LOTV.
    First LB member to recieve org forum and guest chat ban on departure <3

[Neophyte soldier]: I can see your nukes ignore AMS, keep doing it noob, I'm petitioning as we speak!

WTB 2 Fixes for grafts
    PVP roots for all rooting classes

Currently forced to enjoy RK4 (broken PC), I'll be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofox1 View Post
    Just to clear things up, we cannot directly buy the booster pack, like we do with subscriptions and previous expansions, but we instead need purchase Paid Points and use those.

Would that be correct?
    Just convert the money you would of paid for the expansion to buy paid points and buy it...

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

700 paid points - does this include points for froobs as well?
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I say the Booster needs to be directly buyable like all other expansions (SL and AI) and Boosters (NW and LE). If they make the booster 1500PP folks who have not amassed points will need to spend $20 to gain 2000PP to buy the $15 product.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Crap! I thought I was done with this game.

SHHHUUUSSSSHHHH..... that FC accounting have figured that out

I for one am thrilled to see the new PFs on RK open up. BUT--:> I SEVERELY hope any new questlines they incorporate (specifically individual lines such as ado brain) for an individual item... are quest that should be Individual based...(surprisingly enough) on level. My gripe with the ado brain is the level of effort needed to accomplish this questline, for an in lvl 132 item. I am glad to see the supplementing quest rewards in that line also follow that lvl range, but in order to complete it? I do not see very many 132-ish people (not even teams that range) killing the Muddy Dryad, or the guy in the pit/mine. My 149 NT needed 210+ support and I am now waiting for more support for the muddy dryad. Yes the items are coveted by everyone, but the reqs to GAIN the item outweigh the use. (sorry my 2 cent rant as I feel this is also partially relevant to the PEN questline as well... but ado is a stronger delta as me and 5 other 140-158ish toons couldn't put Muddy down)

Alright.. rant mode off... COOL... can't wait for the new rendering engine... still online for "later this year" as you (SIL) said in an earlier directors note?

Happily gam'n since 2005 (not as old as some of you farts in-game... but probably older IRL
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Okay, I think I can speak for most of the community when I say we would have much more preferred to get an eta on the new engine rather than anything else mentioned in the letter.

I don't know why you are so afraid to give us more detailed information, the "E" in "ETA" means "ESTIMATED"...not "EXACT!"
    I believe the ETA was clear.

1. 17.10 (head explodes) in a few months.(sept-nov)

2. 18.0 Booster pack, likely a few months after 17.10 hits live.(Jan-feb?)

3. "Lastly, but by no means least.." the new render engine. Given the amount of work it must entail and the likley problems it will incur your not likely to see the new engine until summer '09 if at all.

shhh, I'm trying to use reverse psychology.
    why Why WHY ?!?!?!

Agentgimpy.. incorrect on the rendering part.

Sil stated: "...The render engine upgrade is coming along nicely and we are still hoping that we will be able to launch it later this year." in this POST

and again above: "...The development continues to be good..."

Now to ME, that means: "we are on course" unless Sil corrects me, I am looking forward "to launch it later this year."
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast