Thread: Unknown Agendas ((Ruken's Story))

Post Unknown Agenda - Ruken's Story

And... here's my story. I'm really interested in getting feedback as this is my first real attempt at completely coming up with my own RP story.

Just added parts II and III so I dont flood the boards. Will post future parts to this thread as well.

5-27-08 - added part IV - yep, would really like some feedback...
    Last edited by ruken; May 27th, 2008 at 20:44:16. Reason: duh, editing of course.
    - Ruken -... 18X Martial Artist
    - Khorak -.. 17X Enforcer
    - Kethis -... 17X Engineer
    - Equillian -... 16X Soldier

Part I

"Ha! The snakes are a bit bigger then you're used to eh boy? Whats your name?"

As a man reached out a hand to help me up. The older man was armed to the teeth, and some strange goo, presumably from the snake that just exploded next to him due to his machine-gun fire, dripped from the barrel from his gun. I looked at him with my eyes squinting. The light outside was so bright I could have swore I was knocked out for days. My back hurt severly and was only ignored due to the massive headache.

"I, oh... I'm Ruken... Sir..."

"Sir? you military? Coming here? You must be one of the Omni cats, fell from the ledge up there."

The man pointed up and as pupils finally slammed shut, I noticed the huge structure overhead. I was on the beach of an island.

"No sir, least, I don't think so." I began to stand up.

"Think so? Ahh bump on the cranium eh? You should go see the doc on the upper levels... and mind the snakes boy."

"O.. ok."

To be honest, I was so out of it, I really don't remember getting up through the tunnels and ramps that lead to the doc. The doctor, who introduced herself as Doctor Rostiline. Cute girl really, brown hair,

nothing really "special" about her really, I mean, she was pretty, but she just seemed like one of those people I knew all my life, ya know? Of course, she let me know that everything was going to be ok. I wasn't so sure really. In fact, it's kind of unnerving to face the fact that you don't know whats going on around you. Hell, I didn't even remember who my parents were or where I learned to speak. Kinda scary...

"Alright sir, what's your name?"

"Ruken."

"Ruken?!" Rostiline became very excited, then she calmed down. "I used to know someone named Ruken, but you couldn't be him... he was an

Opifex man."

"Sorry."

"No no, it's alright. I need some basic information to start a new medical record on you. What is your profession?"

"Um... the man that helped me up he said I was military I think" To be honest, I couldn't remember, the frustration was starting to turn to anger.

"Alright Mister Ruken, I'm going to put down soldier, and we can always change that later if we need to."

"Ok."

"Age?"

"I don't remember."

"Well... you look about, 30... we'll go with 30."

"Ok."

"Height, weight, alright, alright, any birth marks or other identifiers?

"Um... I'm not sure."

"Alright sir, I'm sorry I have to do this to you after all this trauma but I'm going to have to have you change into this." She said holding out a pair of underwear small enough to... nevermind that, it was SMALL.

"What?! No."

"Sir, we have to check you for markings, it's your call, you could go naked if you'd like. I assure you, you posess nothing I havn't seen, nor anything that will excite me. This is purely a medical matter."

... and with that, I took the ... clothes. As I removed my clothing, I noticed my arms had tribal looking tatoos, obviously, they had been there for quite some time. The doctor however, noticed the most important thing. On my back, just below my right shoulder, was another tatoo. An Omni-Tek logo with the numbers 290077 below it.She showed it to me and I couldn't remember anything. The Doctor looked my number up in the Omni-Tek employee registry and found nothing.

"I suggest you speak with the Omni Unicorn leader here. He might know what that number is for, or at least how to track it. You might be an Omni Soldier." She cringed.

After my physical inspection was over the doctor let me leave.

"Good luck, and if you ever need anything, I'll be here!"

"Thanks."

I looked over the landscape, kinda odd if you ask me, aliens attacking, which was kinda shocking to say the least. I ran up to the Omni Unicorn leader to ask him about the number. Not believing me, the man took a look at the tatoo.

"Let me check... Son, you're not one of my boys, in fact the only record I have of any "Rukens" would make me need to shoot you. So why don't you be a good soldier and take your firearm and put some holes in some aliens for us all, Omni and Clan alike."

I decided it would be best for me to find a way off this island before I persued this issue any further.

... I raised my weapon, executed the only nanoprogram I had in my library, raised my assault rifle, and began to try to remember.

Part II

This is the personal log of Ruken, date is… I really don’t know. It’s been a few weeks. Met this guy named Max, he promised his org would help me find out who I was if I joined him. I really felt duped that I signed a clan application along with the application to his organization but he was quite the salesman. He did however, at the least attempt to keep up with his end of the deal. He introduced me to a man in Tir, pretty aggressive guy, named Simon something-or-another. Simon then introduced me to a nano woman nick-named Amenti, she was to perform several tests all on the low-tech scientific side, taking measurements and the like.

“How was that?” I said after a successful burst off my perennium.

”That doesn’t count. It’s a burst. I asked you to take one shot at the target.”

“I did take one shot, and the target is now gone.”

”Would you just STFU and fire?”

She really couldn’t take any humor… I guess that means she does her job well but she was way too quiet for me. Every day, after my “tests” she would go and report her findings back to Simon. Eventually, curiosity got the better of me, and I followed.

”Simon, it’s far stronger and faster then Ruken was. Its accuracy is about the same though. We’re looking at a pretty strong creation.”

”How are we supposed to fight them if they’re turning our own against us? Omni-Med is going too far. For year’s we’ve known that Omni-Med has two sides, but this is a little deep.”

”Simon, weren’t our own people working on the same technology?”

”Of course, but we we’re using volunteers, not the dead.”

”So then what should we do? Should we tell him?”

”Tell me what?” I stepped forward.

The two turned around, a bit startled, but almost relieved that they didn’t have to explain it all to me. The fact that I knew bad news was coming was almost enough relief for them.

“Ruken, you have no memory because you never had it. Your make-up is that of an Opifex man, a clan leader that passed away two years ago, named, Ruken. Omni-Med has been working on specific cloning technology for quite some time.” Amenti explained. Poorly I might add.

”Why me though? Why Ruken?”

Simon then spoke up. “Ruken, the original Ruken was the leader of many organizations here on the side of the Clans and also had his flagship organization, Pandora’s Wrath, in quite a bit of research. Ruken was looking to coming up with a way to clone someone who was assassinated by those Omni bastards by removing their “right” to clone. He did not succeed, but he did something extraordinary. He with the help of his staff, managed to create a technology that allowed the safety’s to be broken on the reclaim protocols. Allowing the “soul” to be placed into a different body, and having that body accept the new soul. Cloning a soul… somewhat, but not exactly. A person that was cloned with a deadly cancer could in essence, clone themselves into a totally new body, one that is not pre-disposed to cancer. We have not heard from, or about Ruken for several years. The doctor, Rostiline brought it to our attention that you called yourself Ruken and upon testing, she found that you shared several traits genetically, as he did though clearly, you are not.”

”You still didn’t answer me. Why Ruken?”

”Ruken was the only man to date that successfully went through the soul-cloning process. We believe that some of Ruken’s former staff sold this information back to Omni, who then took an interest in him, and then, those bastards killed him.”

”Now we don’t know that, Simon.” Amenti said.

Simon gathered himself. “Of course not, but one can only assume.”

“So I’m not Ruken?”

”No.”

”Not quite.” They both stated in unison.

“Well then? Who or what am I?”

”In some ways you are an experiment, in some, you are Ruken himself. You’re truly only parts of both. In time, I believe you will be 100% Ruken.” Amenti stated. For the first time I saw compassion, she understood and I believed her.

”What about his… I mean my memories?”

”Those may never return. I also suggest that you never speak of this as Omni may seek to reclaim you.”

”Why did they let me go in the first place?”

”We’re not sure. We believe that it’s because you’re listed in the global customs reclaim registry you’re safe. The GCRR has a flagging system when someone is killed or “put down, not to be revived via reclaim.” You cannot simply remove a registered customer. You CAN however wipe them clean and dump them somewhere to get eaten over and over again. Best I can figure, you were on your way to some drop-off point and your drop-ship came under attack; by aliens no doubt. So to answer your question, you weren’t let go, you were lost. They may be looking for you, so I would keep your head down for the time being.” Said Amenti.

“Am I a prisoner?”

”The clans are a free people, as long as you are one, you will be free, my men will see to it!” Simon said seemingly proud of himself, like he’s said the line many times before and received a standing ovation.

“What do I do?”

”You will have to find your own way. I have contacted the caretaker of Ruken’s estate, an engineer named Kethis. After displaying facts to him, he has agreed to help you in any way possible. Including this.” Amenti said in satisfaction.

She held out an access card, on it had several million credits.

”Ruken’s fortune.” Amenti nodded.

”I see. Well… then I will be going. I’ll start looking into more of my past after I get settled in.”

With that, I left Tir via whompa for Athens.

Part III

* knock knock knock *

“Who is it?”

” s’Ruken.”

”Liar.” Two small turrets spring from the walls on both sides of the door and a wave of fear came over me.

”I’m not lying, I’m here to see a man named Kethis McWright.”

”Put your eye to the peep-hole on the door…. “ruken”. “

I placed my eye near the hole and a flash of light nearly blinded me. The door shortly opened to find a shorter man, looked a little like me, save for the tiny electronics flashing and strobing all over his body. The lights clearly weren’t for show. He was most certainly the engineer I was looking for.

“Kethis?”

“Get in.” Kethis said sharply.

Kethis closed the door and his tone completely changed. “

Ruken, it is you. I hope Amenti delivered the little gift for you, did she?”

“Yes, she did. I wanted to ask you something…”

”She did?! That’s wonderful. I am so glad!

Kethis was clearly fumbling for something on his workbench.

”How are the kids?!” as Kethis raised some sort of gun behind me…

”Kids? What…”

The noise was almost as loud as the light was bright. Every piece of electronic equipment I had… my compass, my HUD, even my credits card was fried. I was just about to get extremely angry at this man until he reached into my jacket and pulled out a small device, obviously some type of bug.

“We don’t have much time, and as much as I owe to Ruken, I can’t let you stay here. You need to get to Omni, and fast.”

”What?! Omni?! I thought I was some clan leader?”

”Heh, not you, Ruken gave up on the clans long ago. He used to run Pandora’s Wrath, a military org out of Tir. He had a lot of friend, but many enemies. He left word explaining his actions if he had ever failed to return after his mission. Anyway, I think it would be best if Ruken explained this to you…

”He’s here?”

”Wow… you’re thick.” Kethis reached for a small book on a shelf. Pressing a button on the black device Kethis’ grid-feed screen turned on, and an image of calm Opifex man slowly came into view.

“Start talking now? Ok. * ahem * My fellow Pandorians. I speak with you now, delivering grave news. It has come to my attention that the war between the Clans and Omni cannot be won by the clans. I have been in talks with Omni HQ over the past several months as it I have received communiqué’s regarding intel on both Vanguard and the Sentinels, along with several other clans from a group known only to me as “The Net”. Upon my own investigation, I have confirmed that the clans do not wish the conflict to be resolved as it would hurt their operations. If the clans were to win this war, the Vanguard would no longer have it’s economic hold as they do, nor would the Sentinels be able to maintain their hold over Tir. Over the past several years, they have been making steps towards heating up the peace talks as opposed to aiding them. It seems that at this point, the clans, while comprised of good people, are lead by men more ruthless then what we believed to be Omni-Tek. I will be attempting to confront these leaders in hopes of getting them to see their errors. This is where Omni-Tek comes in. As I stated before, I have been speaking with the Omni Corporation. They have agreed to extend the amnesty of 5 years ago for our members in exchange for our aid by joining their military. Our knowledge of Clan territory will prove a swift blow to the clans and hopefully minimize clan civilian casualties. Pandoras, we’re going to win this war. You have always depended on me to attain this goal, and now, we continue our fight. For this step, our path leads with Omni. I believe the past few hundred years of unrest has taught them enough to treat it’s employees better. We have won the war, we just need to win a few more battles.

I assume that because you all are seeing this, I have not survived my attempts to disrupt them, and my reclaim options have failed. In this case a special clone, designed to lead us all, will awaken. He has all of my traits and memories and all of the flaws pulled out. Basically, this clone has “Cleaned DNA” from me. I have to commend Doctor Daniel Livingston and my wife, Rostiline on the clone. This clone will not be me “exactly” but it will be close. Please teach him well and explain to him the trials we’ve all been through together so he may lead you all to this one last victory…. Should I put a timeframe in like “if I’m not done by the 15th, do this? No? OK. So if it I’m done what do I press? Oh, ok then stop it now…”

The monitor went blank.

”So the 15th, isn’t that days away from now? Why was I brought in early?”

“Dude, this message was supposed to be delivered 3 years ago. The fact that you never “activated” makes me think they kept him alive for a long time until now.” Kethis bawked.

“I see. What about Pandora’s Wrath? Can I get them to help?”

“They disbanded long ago, I’m afraid.”

Beginning to see what I had to do, I asked Kethis.

”Where do I get an Omni application? These guys are ****ing me off. I may not be Ruken, but I’m the only Ruken left. It’s about time I did something about it. “

Kethis paused for a moment, I could tell he was truly considering if it was a good idea to go and do this. I could also tell he thought very fondly of the original Ruken.

“Yes, right. I can beacon warp you to Borealis, but you’re on your own from there.”

I nodded, and shortly arrived in Borealis hoping to be contacted by a member of Omni-AF.

Ruken slammed his head forward soaked in sweat. Realizing it was just a dream he sat back, slightly relieved. He looked over at the clock, 3am. It had been 3 years since his service to Omni-AF. Everything from advanced weaponry to mech piloting, Bravo Unit taught him quite a bit. Realizing he wouldn’t be able to get back to sleep, he opened the window. Still dark, but Tir looked more beautiful then ever. Tir had always fascinated him for some reason. Perhaps it was the original Ruken’s love of Tir. Perhaps it was just the simple fact that Tir WAS beautiful. A knock on the door broke his concentration.

“Yo boss!”

“Ya Khorak?”

“You ok in there? I heard something.”

“Ya man, I’m good.”

Khorak was a rather large enforcer that Ruken had saved from some street punks after they sprayed him with a very potent suppression gas before attempting to mug him about a year ago. He was eternally grateful but he was not the “puppy-dog” you might believe him to be. Khorak was a strong Atrox, both physically and mentally and acted more as Ruken’s moral compass then anything.

“Should we get started?”

“Isn’t it a little early for that Khorak?”

“No Boss, you gotta impress them remember? All our goals are riding on your success.”

Ruken had recently taken up residence with The Syndicate. He liked them, they were good to him, and he felt he could really help them out. Most importantly, they served his goals. With Omni, there was no way one person could really make a difference… perhaps this is what drew him back to the clans. Who knows, but he couldn’t fulfill the original Ruken’s last wish. He had his own plan as to how, but the problem was, without a lot of credits, this was going to be impossible.

Ruken contacted Kethis two weeks ago and informed him of his intentions. Kethis gave him a list of people that might be willing to help, though Kethis assured Ruken that this would be a long shot.

“What are you going to say to these people?” Kethis looked at Ruken, confused.

”I don’t know, not sure really. For now, I think I’m going to sit on the list. The Syndicate hired me as a mech pilot, and allowed me to keep a shop up, so in my free time, I’m going to try to bring a little commerce back to Tir.

“You really are dead set on becoming rich.”

”I’ve got no choice really. How else would I do this? ”

Kethis starts to chuckle, then realizes the same fire as the original Ruken. He really “was” going to succeed.

“You really think you’re going to accomplish this don’t you?”

Ruken nods. “Without a doubt, Kethis. Without a doubt.”

“Oh hell, need me to come with you?”

Ruken laughs. “Not just yet. Let me get adjusted. With me and Khorak living in that little apartment, it gets cramped.”

Kethis laughs.

”Here.” Kethis holds out an unmistakable key to an apartment in Jobe. “It was Ruken’s. Take it.”

Ruken inspects the key. “No, I like Tir just fine.”

“Bah, he never used it either.”

“So.” Ruken picks up the datapad that included the list from Kethis. “The first name on the list, Ian, an engineer. Record of him says he’s still not as accomplished as you with schooling. Why is he on the top?”

”Ha, ya… technically, he’s smarter then I am, a real inventor. Kept to himself till he lost his bot. Something snapped in him, started wearing heavy armor, forged a bunch of changes in the registry. He’s using a bunch of soldier gear. Not sure if he’s supposed to, but he’s living way out in GTC. Little crazy last time I spoke with him, but that was a while ago.”

“Great so you think some loose cannon can help me?”

“Maybe, but you’re not really after him. I don’t think he was the one that did the hacking to the registry. It could be someone else on that list. His nickname is Nitecloud, but I’m not sure how to get a hold of him. It’s possible that Ian would know where he was, or at least know how to contact him. You’ll need Nitecloud if you want to do this.”

“Boss, boss!” Khorak busted into the room, ignoring the guardbot standing in the way.

”What?! Jeeze!” Slightly scared and looking at the foot-and-a-half-taller Atrox, standing on the guardbot, arms flailing.

“They’re here! We gotta go.”

”S#!T! Alright, lets go. Thanks Kethis.” Ruken says, turning back.

“Sure, be careful.”