Thread: Metric Time in Newland!

Metric Time in Newland!

Below is the text I presented today to the Newland City Council in which I illustrate my plans for Newland should I get elected as the next Science Minister.

Regards,

Dabblez

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, my name is Dabblez and I wish to be considered for the post of Newland City's Science Minister. What I wish to do today is go over my 5 point manifesto detailing the issue I would pursue should I get elected.Obviously, for time reasons, I can only give a high level description of my plans. Please hold any questions till the end.

Item #1. The first issue is one close to my heart. I was not born Omni. My family is from Borealis, where i grew up. having an aptitude for science, when it time came for University, the only choices I had were Rome University or the Tir School of Engineering. Rome offered me a scholarship and the rest was, as they say, history. I have no regrets personally, But had there be a Neutral institution for higher learning of the same caliber, I would not have had to make such a life changing decision at such a young age.

As such I propose we establish just a enter of learning here in Newland, a place where budding scientists and engineers could study for Newland Engineering and Research Diploma, or NERDs, for short..

Item #2. I propose Newland switch to metric time. No more of this 60 seconds and 24 hour nonsense. If I am elected as Science Minister, time will be measured sensibly - 10 hours in the day, 100 minutes in an hour, 100 seconds in a minute.

Item #3. To help establish the metric time system, analogue watches will be banned from Newland City and only digital watches allowed. Visitors will be required to deposit their analogue watches with the milita on entering the down and collect them when they leave.

Item #4. The Miiir in Newland City will have to stock white lab coats. It is unreasonable that scientist looking for lab coats have to go all the way to Phasefront and pay in off-world currency, as if we had nothing better to do with our time.

Item #5. Finally I propose to change the name of our beloved town. Think about it, just how long must pass till Newland is effectively no longer "new" in any meaningful sense of the word? So instead of calling our fair city "New-land" what I figured is we could call it "New-ton", after Sir Isaac Newton, the scientist how discovered gravity and invented calculus.

This is my 5 point manifesto which I pledge to pruse if I get elected as Newland Science Minster.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I hope that digital watch comes with one heck of a calendar, although I must admit, having heared of R.U.R.'s reputation of technology this probably means that when you make an appointment for 2 weeks later in Newlandcity/newtoncity time zone, the thing will most likely explode in your face...

I like point 4 tho, but I hope you will think aswell of the bureaucrats in Newland. While you only need to go to phasephont, we crats must go to some grumpy Director in foremans an convince him that we really need a new suit every 6 months. IF you are lucky and WHEN he is in a good mood he will give it without much trouble, if not we have to rip it off a monsters corpse. Patch it up and wash it 6 times hoping it will smell a wee bit better.

Dabblez for Science Minister!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebius View Post
    Silence m8! The beast is sleeping, do not wake her and incur her wrath.
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

As Boltgun is leaving as Security minister, i'm free for the job!

and i promise everyone can do what they want while i'm on the job, windowshopping included!
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

I am personally going to switch over to metric time whenever I am in Newland City.
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

I think brb would be a much better Security Minister than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebius View Post
    Silence m8! The beast is sleeping, do not wake her and incur her wrath.
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by Dabblez View Post
    Item #2. I propose Newland switch to metric time. No more of this 60 seconds and 24 hour nonsense. If I am elected as Science Minister, time will be measured sensibly - 10 hours in the day, 100 minutes in an hour, 100 seconds in a minute.

Item #3. To help establish the metric time system, analogue watches will be banned from Newland City and only digital watches allowed. Visitors will be required to deposit their analogue watches with the milita on entering the down and collect them when they leave.
    Hmm..
    Ok, I'm just a dumb 'Trox but...

What's with the '24' you're talking about?
    Here on Rubi-Ka we have a 27 hour day, y'know?

Also, these 'watch' thingies - what are those? Something to do with measuring time, I presume, since you take such a dislike to them in this connection.
    I've never, in any part of Rubi-Ka, come across a 'watch' as anything to do with measuring time, only as in 'watching something,' ie guarding it.

Oh well, you're ommer so who cares. Propaganda..
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

i've had a broken wristwatch from the Shadowlands once, but i ended up breaking it
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.