Thread: [RK2] Freelance: Hacker Stopped Following Security Intrusion

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

[RK2] Freelance: Hacker Stopped Following Security Intrusion

Hacker Stopped Following Security Intrusion
    April 29, 29482 - Marion Vein [Rimor]

IRRK Freelance - OMNI-1 - An unidentified hacker broadcasting false error messages concerning the Omni-1 Database was stopped following a search through Newland City. The current location of the hacker is unknown.

During the Board of Directors's meeting on Sunday 13th April, a user by the name of 'Octal' was seen on a public communications node.

The following messages were broadcasted, following the user's logon:
    [EMERGENCY] - Broadcasting on all frequencies.
    [EMERGENCY] - Please contact your local Omni-Com Technician and provide the following details:
    [INFO] - Omni-Com Telecommunications Algorithmic computer version 11000

It then went on to display error messages for verious sectors of Omni-1's database, such as:
    The Omni-1 Air Traffic Control:
    [EMERGENCY] - Omni-1 Air Traffic Control Array - Status [FAILED].

The Prison Security System:
    [EMERGENCY] - Omni-1 Moderate Security Prison Electronic Detainment Systems - Status [FAILED]

Numerous other error messages were displayed, including supposed failures in the Battlefield Relay, and even Omni-Med's insurance database.

The majority of the affiliates attending the monthly meeting were dispatched to investigate the situation following a trace to the city of Newland, where the broadcast signal was said to originate.

After a thorough check-up, it was concluded that the broadcasts were noting more than falsified messages designed to cause a disruption, though the hacker did manage to flood the toilets in the Omni-Admin building, much to the discontent of employees inside.

The hacker was found in Backyard 3, Newland. However, after a brief firefight, he escaped, presumably to the Grid.

Although the hacker could not be arrested on site, the swift action of the affiliates proved paramount to the restoration of order within the city. All systems are now returned to normal, and no database changes seem to have been made, although technicians are looking into the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: IRRK View Post
    After a thorough check-up, it was concluded that the broadcasts were noting more than falsified messages designed to cause a disruption, though the hacker did manage to flood the toilets in the Omni-Admin building, much to the discontent of employees inside.
    How can you say the messages were false when in fact systems were failing as badly as your investigative abilities?
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

False as in not-so-truthful messages. Not false as in never happened.
    Point Blank

(( it's RK2 only kotts ))
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

(( posted as my RK2 alt ))
    Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    (( posted as my RK2 alt ))
    (( It doesn't matter to us, especially since your statement made in such a general fashion. If you have comments on RK2 stories keep 'em coming, we don't judge you on RK2. ))

(( my mistake then xD thought u meant "not happened" in RK1 ))
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

As an eyewitness to these events unfolding, I can assure you the errors did in fact take place. Members of Omni-Pol, Omni-AF, and InternalOps were sent to investigate as it was broadcast over the NRPB node during the board of directors meeting. We arrived to find Trousers working feverishly to keep air traffic functioning, and we did a thorough search of the area.

The hacker was not apprehended, as you say he/she/it appears to have escaped into the grid. I made an inquiry to several different people involved, as well as a member of Omni-Comm, to determine why the error messages were relayed through a public node. I have received no response from the member of Omni-Comm I contacted, and I am currently unaware of further leads that could be followed to detain the hacker.

Colonel "Feyde" Wolfgang
    OTAF: Bravo Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Netwerk View Post
    Perhaps Sotto was working feverishly to figure out why the air-traffic control error messages were occurring without any real interference in the air-traffic control systems.
    Unless you have some evidence to back this up, this is merely speculation. If it has not already been done, I advise Mahoney to check with Baljian to verify the status of the Air Traffic Control Array during the hack/attempted hack, and provide the results of that status report here.

In regards to your comment about Admin not having record of any actual failure, I would say that in the same line of thinking... just because a memo doesn't show up on their desk that a soldier's flak jacket failed does not mean the soldier is not just as dead.

Colonel "Feyde" Wolfgang
    Omni-AF: Bravo Unit

When Pilots are broadcasting maydays because they can no longer see their positions in orbit relative to other vessels, I would call that a serious systems failure. We were thankful, and extremely lucky that we were able to avoid any accidents because many older vessels short-range systems are shoddy at best.

Thanks for the crack team we have in the towers and on the ground we were able to keep the traffic moving - albeit slowly - while avoiding a Class 3 Incident.

I cannot speak to the validity of the other messages, but I can attest that Omni-Trans was indeed impacted in a serious fashion.