Thread: [RK2] IRRK: Shipment Security Warning After Incident Near Rome

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

[RK2] IRRK: Shipment Security Warning After Incident Near Rome

Shipment Security Warning After Incident Near Rome
    April 22, 29482 - Lisa Corahnay [Rimor]

IRRK - Galway Shire (IRRK) – April 9th – Traders are advised to seek professional security for their goods following a shipment being held up East of Rome.

Everyone knows how dangerous travelling Rubi-Ka can be. As well, some will have an understanding of the dangers of transporting goods around the planet. It has become a frequent occurrence for us to hear about all kinds of transports intercepted by all kinds of people. What’s the solution? Security for your shipment. But security comes at a price. When professional security can’t be found, many traders are hiring people from the street.

Security work can, of course, be dangerous. Not everyone on the planet is a trained soldier or guard. Yet more and more people are accepting any kind of work they can get, and ending up putting themselves at great risk. Today I heard about one such incident in Galway Shire that resulted in at least three deaths and the destruction of a shipment. I talked to two of a group of at least four people who accepted security work from an Omni-Tek trader named Damyan.

Neloo, a neutral citizen told me:

"I was hired to protect a man and his transport. We came across a barricade and three individuals that had their guns ready and demanded we hand over the transport. We refused and they opened fire… Both our client and one of my fellow bodyguards were killed."

Another neutral citizen, who wishes to remain anonymous, talked about how she was hired for this job:

"I was walking on the street and a gentleman asked if I needed a job. So you know, I am a poor girl… and I always need money. You know, I never do easy jobs, like... like those girls. The gentleman said he needed some helpers, because he wanted to transport something… I didn’t ask what it was."

Both said that they were recruited for this service in Borealis. They mentioned how they suspected that these bandits were ready and waiting for this particular shipment, and how the transport was destroyed in the fight. The would-be thieves fled after one of them was killed, and unfortunately there was no trace of them, save three bodies and a destroyed cargo ship. Fortunately, after checking with Omni-Med, I learned that at least the Trader had recovered successfully from his death.

I asked Neloo if he thought that it was dangerous to be transporting cargo along the ground like this. He replied:

"I’m not sure normal citizens have anything to fear if they get some professional help and don’t just hire random people off the street. Though the fact that it all happened in broad daylight, and so close to Rome is concerning. I guess a certain degree of caution is advised."

That got me thinking. Aside from mercenaries, what kind of professional help could people get? So I turned to Omni-Trans’ Head of Security, Tom "Hollowpoint" Harking for advice. He warned potential traders that hiring people off the street for security like this last incident is not a good idea:

"Civilians aren't trained to be guards, 'least most of them aren't. At least with 'Trans you can get the shipment insured. He should have used 'Trans. Employees know better then to do stupid things like that. Someone as dumb as this fella’ needs to be poked fun of in public."

He told me that Omni-Trans’ services are available for private use:

"Of course Omni-Trans offer secure private shipments for civilians. Assuming the cargo isn't on the Contraband List, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be shipped, assuming the citizen is willing to pay the fees."

That all sounds well and good, but I felt like there was something missing. What about people like my anonymous neutral friend who needed money from jobs like that? What about Clansmen and women? Where do they stand? My assumption that a Clan trader could not look to Omni-Trans for help was confirmed. So his choice would be to either hire professional mercenaries, which could end up costing more than the shipment’s worth, or to look to the work-hunters on the street at the risk of both their safety as well as the cargo’s.

I wondered if this has been an issue tackled at the wrong end. In the past it has always been the idea to clamp down on criminals such as these. But maybe it is time to accept that there will always be an organised criminal element taking advantage of Rubi-Ka’s honest traders. Maybe resources could redirect into creating available, reliable and affordable security for shipments, creating career and training opportunities for those that have put themselves at risk by accepting security work from the street as well as protection and economical benefit for honest traders.

When I asked my anonymous friend if she thought it was dangerous to accept jobs like that from people you don’t know, she replied simply:

"Yes it is. But I needed the money."

'Trans does fantastic work. I highly recommend them for imports.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Are we being Sarcastic dear bubba?
    Tresa "Cylie" Burke

Bubba? Sarcastic? Noooooo, neeeeever!
    Point Blank

Darn, I shouldn't have left my experimental sarcasm detector on when looking at the new editorials, it just blew up...

I'm not sure why such a true statement would be considered scarcasm
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Cylie View Post
    Are we being Sarcastic dear bubba?
    Not in the least. I meant every last word of it. Considering lesser rackets get pirated, and I cant trust the ICC traders, there is only 1 real option left. I wont go into detail on how I know this fact to be true. Sufficed to say, Trouser's people have never let me down.

Did I just throw all a' you folks for a loop?
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Apr 24th, 2008 at 01:58:37.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I see Bubba...... Omni's may be considered bottom-dwelling, pond scum sucking, evil ba*****s to Clans... but we get the job done? hmmmmmmm
    Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Corporal Officer, Omni-Pol Field Ops
    (Atlantean)

formerly
    T-Sgt1C, Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, Retired.

If I'm the Agent of Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?
    Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Quote Originally Posted by Nadab View Post
    I see Bubba...... Omni's may be considered bottom-dwelling, pond scum sucking, evil ba*****s to Clans... but we get the job done? hmmmmmmm
    I have mixed feelings about what that summary, is meant to imply. You would be hard pressed to find me broad categorizing ALL omni-tek employees as bottom-dwelling, pond scum sucking evil bastards. In fact, I find that folk across the board can be opportunists when it suits them, even clanners.

Omni-tek and I are at odds, sure. But, their organization and efficiency are much to be admired.

Let me break it down for ya: Omni-tek and I, are enemies. That is a given. Do I blame the sins of the company on one specific individual? No. My problem is with the institution, not the citizenry. The people are not my enemy, unless they put themselves in that position. Put an Omni-pol officer in my way, and chances are we'll make a scene. Put your average working joe in front of me, and that person would more likely get a handshake.

Lets take Trousers for example:

We don't see eye to eye. We don't share the same values. We just don't like each other in general, and I certainly wouldn't invite the man to a clan social gathering. If I take a jab or two at him, its just merely to prove a point. He's rolled with all my jibes, and I have rolled with all of his.

Can I trust him to do his job? Absolutely. I can't blame him for doing what he feels is right. I can't consider him an enemy, because he doesn't stop me from doing my job. I may not like him, but I respect a man who serves something greater than himself. Living a life of service is the most honourable accord one can follow. If we came to odds and I was forced to strike at him, it would not be out of hatred. We would handle our business as men. Depending on the circumstances, if I saw him in a public place being threatened with bodily harm, I might even consider thrashing the bully.

And on the example that I would see someone offering ridiculous statements to others, while offering no moral high ground, then you can expect me to take issue with it. Not just for my benefit, but the benefit of others. I can always ignore a person who tries to con me. It's a whole different story if a person is trying to con us all.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Apr 25th, 2008 at 00:28:43.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

The Omni-Trans-Siberian Orchestra has allowed some leeway to Clanners as a way to provide "good service to everyone" for the last couple of years I've been familiar with them. To some people, I guess it's anything for a credit.

Personally, I don't understand that and never have. Why supply the enemy with anything, whether its guns, food or toilet paper? The only leeway I may understand giving a Clanner would be... for example... letting them step away from a cliff's edge before I riddle them with lead. No point in beating a dead bronto, after all.

Lieutenant "Feyde" Wolfgang
    Omni-AF: Bravo Unit

You will not find my name or address on any Omni-trans ledgery.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Apr 26th, 2008 at 14:44:59.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...