Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [RK1] IRRK Freelance: Newland's Peace Project Rejected by Omni-Tek

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

[RK1] IRRK Freelance: Newland's Peace Project Rejected by Omni-Tek

Newland's Peace Project Rejected by Omni-Tek
    April 04, 29482 - Roger [Atlantean]

IRRK Freelance - Recently, at the March Board Meeting of Omni-Tek Department heads and affiliates, a proposal was brought before the Board from the Newland Council by one Emil "Stanislaw" Cervenak of R.U.R. (Rubi-ka Universal Robots). In the spirit of cooperation and good relations, Newland has proposed to build Omni-Tek a new Hyper-Space Transmission Dish in some other location than Borealis. The proposal was intended to alleviate some of the discontent with Omni-Tek's presence in Borealis and would be fully funded by the Newland Council and constructed, if my facts are correct, by R.U.R.

This matter was discussed by the Board and rejected outright as a bad idea. Some of the comments made by attendees are as follows:

Director Lani "Wannja" of Omni-Com: There is a *cough* reason we build it at that specific *cough* location in the first place.

"Tethien" Cebrae of Omni-Pol: Just as a comment, as far as i know, there were other strategical reasons to hold Borealis, next to the dish. They would not be gone with the presence of an alternate dish.

Jacob Stroud: The only two entities on Rubi-Ka that can develop an infrastructure project on that scale are Omni-Tek and the ICC. It may be possible, if extremely challenging, for Omni-Tek to make a new subspace transmission dish. But Newland? They can't even afford to clean up their own junk. Newland is a small frontier city. The dish would cost more than their whole town. It's a nice gesture, but it's all rather ridiculous. Besides, the dish would need to be placed at a high altitude to work properly. Borealis is the most ideal location; that's why the dish was built there in the first place. If they can cough up enough credits to pay for a new dish, I'm sure we would be more than happy to take it off of their hands. Perhaps that money would be better spent on making Newland a better place to do business, though, for fine companies like RUR. If they have a full proposal to make regarding the funding and location of a new dish, then we can hear them out. I'm just skeptical that Newland has thought this all the way through.

Director Channing "McVert" of Omni-RD: The costs of such a project would not warranty the negligible gains. The dish at Borealis is fully operational, so there are no reasons to build a new, costly one. Your little town should use its resources better to keep the streets clean from criminals and let us develop and maintain the technology needed to run this planet.

Director Ivan "Sergeyich" of Omni-Pol: Why would we go through the effort of building a new dish when we already have a perfectly functional one? In a prime location?

As you can see, this matter was not even considered seriously by the Omni-Tek Board of Directors, so I went to the Newland Council to get their side of the story. I was able to schedule and interview with two of Newland Council's Ministers: Vincent "Boltgun" Delage, Security Minister; and John "Iaitoo" Lloyd, Trade Minister. The interview was recorded and is as follows

Scoopx: Thank you both for taking time out of your busy schedules for this Interview.
    Boltgun: No problem, lets sit.
    Iaitoo: smiles

Scoopx: Very well... thank you both again, Ministers for granting me this interview. I would like to follow up on a story I received from some sources within the Omni-Tek Board of Directors.... Recently, at the BoD Meeting, one Mr. "Stanislaw" from RUR brought a proposal to the BoD, that he said came from the Newland Council. He said that the Newland council proposed to build OT a new Hyper-link Radar dish at some other location to allievate the situation at Borealis.... Is this true?
    Boltgun: Yes it is, we discussed about the idea to make Borealis a less critical location.
    Iaitoo: Would ease the situation for all parts
    Scoopx: That would make sense on Newland's part. How do you both feel that the proposal was rejected flatly by Omni-Tek? considering some the remarks made there?
    Boltgun: I'm not very surprised, it is not in Omni-Tek's goals to have more off-world communication systems. Even if it's risky to count on only one of this kind. That's sad that the Board of Directors are looking at their range of control first.

Scoopx: So then, you're not offended by some of the comments that alluded that Newland was not capable of constructing this type of equipment?
    Boltgun: I'm amused at best.
    Scoopx: Or that Newland would be better off spending the money on garbage collection?
    Iaitoo: laughs
    Boltgun: coughs
    Iaitoo: Its sad that they are so narrow minded
    Boltgun: Okay, I'll take that advice, maybe I should load more garbage in dropships to, you know... dispose it.
    Scoopx: It seems to me, that Omni-Tek doesn't believe that Newland or the Neutral Faction has the expertise or know-how to build this....
    Scoopx: <snickers at the thought of more Rollerrats>
    Scoopx: Minister Iaitoo.... your thoughts?
    Iaitoo: I don't really know what to say; if they want a calmer situation in Borealis, they would have been more willing to discuss this case. But it seems like they are more eager to show that they're in "power" then to find a peaceful solution that would be better for us all.

Scoopx: Alright, let me take a different tangent.....Was there any truth to the rumor that the Newland Council was entertaining the idea of hiring R.U.R. to build the Radar dish? given their somewhat "colorful" reputation?
    Boltgun: That's a possibility, I have enough story with R.U.R. to give them our most...creative projects. I trust the very talented neutral engineers for our tasks still.
    Iaitoo: We haven't made any deals with anyone.

Scoopx: ah... that would be "Tinkerbots" ??? but that is another interview.....
    Scoopx: Well... thank you for the time... Any other comments you want to make to the public?
    Boltgun: sighs
    Boltgun: Yes, Omni Tek is underestimating our engineering power. Neutrals as a whole are better suited then many to create. And it showed a lot in the past, like when we built sensors to destroy a dangerous group.
    Iaitoo: But, if they don't think we can do it, maybe they should consider doing it themselves to please both omni and neutral citizens
    Boltgun: nods
    Iaitoo: Its not about who can build what, its about making Borealis a better place to live for everyone. It's sad that they are to narrow minded to see that
    Scoopx: I'm sure they should take that under advisement, Ministers. Thank you again for this interview.

I attempted to interview Ms. Angel "Wolf" Berael, Newland Council's Foreign Affairs Minister, but was unable to arrange a convenient time for an interview.

So..."now you know!"

Roger "Scoopx" Johnson

Perhaps a re-election is needed if the Ministers find it funny that people reject a public works project that would bankrupt their city.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

And how would you know that it would bankrupt us? Since when did you get access to our vaults and accounts?
    Rajib - 220 Shotgun Doctor | Businessraj - 220 Shotgun Trader | Nanquan 210+ MA | Blasi - 209 ME Keeper | Rajliana - 200 bow MA ++++++

WTB Red and blue teams in BS. Thanks Michi!

The state of the city speaks for itself.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the citizens of Newland City, but the City's building are in dire need of upkeep; painting, surface reinforcing or replacement. Weeds grow along the primary concourse which are barely paved and rodents infest the numerous junkyards on the outskirts of the city.

I would like to presume the Newland Government cares for it's citizens and if it had extra credits it would sink them into city works projects to improve the quality of living for it's citizens. The fact is, these projects don't happen.

If you have enough credits to build a subspace transmission dish, please, by all means disclose your financial records to prove to us all that you could foot the bill, and then explain to your citizens why you're not spending it on them.

Building a new dish would actually help neutral citizens, more than removing weed would.
    Rajib - 220 Shotgun Doctor | Businessraj - 220 Shotgun Trader | Nanquan 210+ MA | Blasi - 209 ME Keeper | Rajliana - 200 bow MA ++++++

Don't speak in Generalizations.

How is using Newland Tax Credits to build Omni-Tek a new Dish going to help the Citizens of Newland City?

You were appointed to worry about the citizens of Newland, not every Neutral on the planet.

well, someone has to care for the neutral citizens of Borealis. And the constant riots affects Newland also. wounded neutrals come to Newland often, after running into omni guards that are loose on the trigger and even quicker to accuse people of things.
    Last edited by Iaitoo; Apr 4th, 2008 at 19:33:59.

I'm sure your citizens are thrilled to hear you say that the needs of Borealis' Citizens come before the needs of Newland's when spending Newland's Tex Credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Iaitoo View Post
    And the constant riots affects Newland also. wounded neutrals come to Newland often, after running into omni guards that are loose on the trigger and even quicker to accuse people of things.
    [Taking this as a separate statement since it was edited in after my reply]

Rioting is a Crime, Sir. If you do not want wounded Criminals coming to Newland City you have a Security Minister to deal with that problem.

Well, from my experience, it is clan rebels that are starting trouble...
    And of course we prioritize Newland, but this is just one case, so don't speak in Generalizations

I'm not speaking in Generalizations.

I'm discussing the proposed public works projects that threatens the livelihood of Newland's Citizens. It only takes one mistake, when of such an epic proportion, to completely destroy a government economically.

Also, from my experience in working closely with members of Omni-Tek's Police and Military, the vast majority of the trouble has come from freedom fighters who do not pledge their loyalty to any of the Clans.
    Last edited by Trousers; Apr 4th, 2008 at 21:05:40.

as an ex-citizen of Borealis and new citizen of Newland, I am very grateful for the NL council to do such a proposal and even if doing this would mean paying new taxes i'd willingly do it !

Omni-Tek go home !
    Gonido - 220 MP - RK2
    Neutral - President of Harmony

Former French Fansite Manager
    http://ao.mondespersistants.com

(( i dunno if you're on RK1 too trousers, i thought only RK2 if ur on both no prob, otherwise title clearly says [RK1] though ;D ))

seems like omni-tek tries to control the cash flow of neutrals now too wanting to see records... from what i've heard around the neutrals are happy with their city as it is, so if they want to, let them build the dish so you can all get out of Borealis finally
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I'm not speaking in Generalizations.

I'm discussing the proposed public works projects that threatens the livelihood of Newland's Citizens. It only takes one mistake, when of such an epic proportion, to completely destroy a government economically.

Also, from my experience in working closely with members of Omni-Tek's Police and Military, the vast majority of the trouble has come from freedom fighters who do not pledge their loyalty to any of the Clans.
    Oh look he cares about our government economy that's nice of him.

And like the BoD you like to believe that the weed in the backyards shows of our lack of engineering power. And for the reason, having the most important off corld communication device near both Jessica Lonare and trigger happy freedom fighters is a good reason enough.

And since you care so much about our well being by telling us how we perform and what we should and shouldn't do, sheltering the refugees from Borealis have a cost too. Friendly economic action may start by taking care of that.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by playboyfixer View Post
    (( i dunno if you're on RK1 too trousers, i thought only RK2 if ur on both no prob, otherwise title clearly says [RK1] though ;D ))
    ((I don't play on RK1. But this is a community forum, so I have a right to post in it just the same as you do.))

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun
    And since you care so much about our well being by telling us how we perform and what we should and shouldn't do, sheltering the refugees from Borealis have a cost too. Friendly economic action may start by taking care of that.
    Responsible economic policy starts with not proposing public works that would bankrupt your government. By all means, spend your money to take care of refugees, and your citizens; that's what your taxes pay for. I'm sure the average citizen of Newland does not want to be thrown into poverty to give Omni-Tek a new Communication Dish.

I understand if Pride makes you want to stand behind the proposal and fight tooth and nail, but you must put the needs of your citizens before your personal political ambitions.
    Last edited by Trousers; Apr 5th, 2008 at 18:57:43.

(( yeah agreed community forum, but if you start talking "cross-dimensional" it looks more like powerplaying you could say what you want, yet not get arrested cause u don't exist on rK1 really ;p ))
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Quote Originally Posted by playboyfixer View Post
    (( yeah agreed community forum, but if you start talking "cross-dimensional" it looks more like powerplaying you could say what you want, yet not get arrested cause u don't exist on rK1 really ;p ))
    ((
    1) If you want to be Isolationists ask FC for a RK1 News forum.

2) If anyone is arresting people on RK1 for speech, I think I'm very happy I don't play on RK1
    ))

(( on note 1; i asked ARK events on that ooc meeting, and it couldn't be done ;p))
    (( on note 2; isn't that what OTs good for? ;p ))

I grew up in Newland city as an orphan, the city has charm, in bucket loads unlike the depressing Omni Tek cities that i have visited, yes there are weeds, cracked paving slabs, and 'classical' building styles but that is part of what makes Newland, Newland, its a beautiful city. Yes there may be a few bits of litter here and there, but every big city accumulates that sort of thing. Its far from being in slum like coniditions such as the northern and southern sectors of Omni Ent, which i am guessing are still covered in litter, industrial waste, smoke vents, and toxic wastes in the harbour, with ramshackle structures consisting of rusted metal sheeting.
    compared to that Newland city is heaven, on Rubi Ka.

I would also like to refer back to Minister Iaitoo's point earlier on but, how do you know the size of the Newland City budget? Okay so it is going to be smaller than a HyperCorporations, thats obvious, also whose to say how much people would be willing to work for, or donate to such a project?

Also i would like to know what other reasons Omni Tek has for occupying Borealis?
    aside from securing the Satellite Dish which is outside the actual city, and 'protecting' the city from Alien raids?

The notion of Newland City building a new dish for Omni-Tek Hyper-Space Transmission Dish in some other location than Borealis came from discussions at the last Newland City Council meeting which I attended in a private capacity (though I am still running for the Science Minister post so remember, vote Dabblez!).

Stanislaw, as RUR's representative at the Omni Board of Director meetings, was kind of enough present this proposal. As all the comments from Omni Board members have been made public knowledge in this article, I see no harm from releasing a full transcript of discussion. What it does show is while the proposal clearly was not warmly received, I would not say it was flatly rejected. In fact what was agreed in the end is that "If they (the Newland City Council) have a full proposal to make regarding the funding and location of a new dish, then we can hear them out."

Stanislaw: oh that's me! Right, yes..... I have a message. Not from me, kind of like from a friend of a friend... Anyway the message comes from the Newland City Council. Now here is the thing, everyone knows that the Borealis radar dish situation has caused quite a stir and some bad blood. So... what Newland City would like to do... is build Omni-Tek and brand new radar dish a bit further away from Borealis. That way the town is not longer of strategic interest to Omni-Tek.

Tethien <smirks>

Stanislaw: So what'd ya think? Nifty, eh?

Jacob Stroud: Comments?

Moeder <applauds>

Wannja: There is a *cough* reason we build it at that specific *cough* location in the first place

Stanislaw: Naturally, that's what makes it an interesting engineering project. I mean, if it were easy, what would be the fun?

Prestin: Fun? We are not here for fun, must i remind you of that?

Stanislaw: If we can terraform planets and cheat death, building a radar dish can't be out of our grasp. Fun.. challenge... same difference

Tethien: Just as a comment, as far as i know, there were other strategical reasons to hold Borealis, next to the dish. They would not be gone with the presence of an alternate dish.

Jacob Stroud: Ms. Kokkiokova would like to comment. You have the floor.

Moeder: This proposal sounds good. A radar dish further away from that busy place would reduce costs of cleaning and maintenance of said disc. We could make it shine!

Stanislaw: Well the politicians can deal with the other reasons. I figure if you solve on part of the issue, it will make finding solutions to the rest easier. So... you'll sleep on it and let me know? Cool!

Jacob Stroud: Are there any other comments on this report?
    Jacob Stroud: Before we proceed, I have a comment to make.
    Jacob Stroud: The only two entities on Rubi-Ka that can develop an infrastructure project on that scale are Omni-Tek and the ICC.

Stanislaw: Is that a challenge?

Mcvert: The costs of such a project would not warranty the negligible gains. The dish at Borealis is fully operational so there are no reasons to build a new costly one.

Jacob Stroud: It may be possible, if extremely challenging, for Omni-Tek to make a new subspace transmission dish. But Newland? They can't even afford to clean up their own junk.

Stanislaw: You would not bear the costs. As I understand it would be sort of like a good bye present from Newland. If they fail, they fail. What have you got to loose?

Jacob Stroud: Newland is a small frontier city. The dish would cost more than their whole town. It's a nice gesture, but its all rather ridiculous.

Stanislaw: Maybe, but if somehow they did mange, you would not have a problem with it?

Jacob Stroud: Besides, the dish would need to be placed at a high altitude to work properly. Borealis is the most ideal location; that's why the dish was built there in the first place.

Stanislaw: Anything is possible, I've seen entire city's floating just outside Newland

Mcvert: Your little town should use its resources better to keep the streets clean from criminals and let us develop and maintain the technology needed to run this planet.

Stanislaw: Have a little faith in science!

Sergeyich: Why would we go through the effort of building a new dish when we already have a perfectly functional one? In a prime location?

Stanislaw: Maybe I wasn't clear...

Jacob Stroud: If they can cough up enough credits to pay for a new dish, I'm sure we would be more than happy to take it off of their hands. Perhaps that money would be better spent on making Newland a better place to do business though, for fine companies like RUR.

Stanislaw: Omni-Tek doesn't have to do anything. They build it, you take it over and hopefully that leads to a change in policy over Borealis. Bear in mind the old dish has been up there a goodly few years. In that time it's been used as a Rollerrat Ball venue. It must be time to service it. And there so many new materials and technologies. Anyway, that's the message.....

Jacob Stroud: If they have a full proposal to make regarding the funding and location of a new dish, then we can hear them out. I'm just skeptical that Newland has thought this all the way through, that is all.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast