Thread: Axlena's story: Hadrians Wall

Axlena's story: Hadrians Wall

Hadrians Wall

Well, I finally graduated. Axlena Rose. Professor in medicine. My life of political engagement on Rubi-Ka and with ICC was a closed chapter. I had a Jobe apartment, was hired by Letah _A very dedicated and friendly agent tho I always felt something wasn't exactly how they appeared to be with her_ into the multifactional Alien-Resistance organisation and had my Greek god Obo to spend my life with. For the first time in my life, I kinda felt a relief and joy that I never had before.
    We had financed the apartment ourself and it was a really great place to live in. A floating city with profession societies right outside the door. I like it calm and safe when I am at home. Especially if kids are into the equation. Obo felt the same.

Every now and then he would take me out and buy me little gifts. We had a lot of fun with holograms. We would make them project a kindergarten then talk about the children who would go there and make things up. Obo had a special concept he used to tell me about. He wanted a son and everytime the projection came on his eyes became shiny and a smile came over his face.

I loved him and he spoiled me away like no other man had before.

One day Obo called me at work telling me he wouldn't come home before later. He said he was ill with stomach pain and had gone to the hosptial. At first he had been using nanoprograms to ease the pain but when that didn't work he had gotten su****ous and called for help. I hung up and froze. Letah entered the room.
    "Hello..."
    I looked at her and a horrible feeling engulfed me. My world blurred and it was as if she faded away and a precence appeared. It wasn't a light, divine precence but something dark and demonic. I became dizzy.
    "Axlena, are you feeling ok? ".
    The words felt like concussive strucks, as if violently knocking me back into consciousness. The room felt more sterile than before but I managed to explain what had happened. I was permitted to leave work and Letah came with me.

When we arrived at the hospital I was meet by chief of surgery "Doctorval", he said a tumor had been developing inside Obos stomach and was slowly growing on his organs. The had operated on him right after he called me and when I finally arrived at his bed, I broke down right away. To see him lifeless and attached to a life-support system was just too much. 20 hours ago he had been laying his warm, strong body next to me and now was comatosing. Doctorval explained that his clone inherited the cancer so the insurance were "defect". Letah put her hand on my back and told me "he'l be fine, it will be ok Axe..." I swallowed and we sat down to wait.

Letah and I waited for hours in the hospital for Obo to wake, I didn't wan't him to wake up alone. I asked Letah to bring me my doctor's coat. It was designed by the Xan to protect against all types of contaminations and infections. Some stories tells that it locks something inside the wearer as a side-effect. She looked at me confused but complied. A little after she had left Obo started to move, I took his hand, kissed him and told him that I loved him. His eyelocks vibrated a little, he babbled something and then wen't lifeless again. When Letah came back my tear-soaked eyes fixed at the coat. It looked comforting and authorative. "Pass it over please". When I equipped it I felt stronger and I could finally process what had happened and think ahead in a realistic and logical manner. When he woke up he looked scared and wanted to know details about the operation, how long he had to be at the hospital. I told him in steps of the likeable processes he would have to go through like only a doctor could. He smiled weakly. "Ok, but I will get well soon?".
    "Yes dear, very soon. Your prognosis looks good".
    "Doctorval will just be sure there is no spreading, which it isn't anyway." I added looking him deep in the eyes with a asuring look.

Letah took his hand and wished him a fast recovery. She hugged me long, shrugged and gridded away. I passed a mirror and was suprised how unaffected I looked, I got so suprised that I turned the corner like a drunk person trying to change direction but quickly came to myself. What was important now was getting Doctorval's report and oversee that the relevant procedures got initiated. At the hospital I tried my best to comfort him. He tried to keep his emotions under control but he couldn't win against the fear. I was with him as much as I could. When I finished work I would drive straight to the hospital. He used to have panic-attacks in the middle of the night and call me so I kept my comlink on. I didn't want him to feel abandoned.
    Doctorval said they had opened him to remove the tumors on his kidneys but that they were so large that continuing the surgical removal- procedure would have been fatal. The next step was for him to undergo nanobot treatment. The thought of him being injected with cell-killing nanobots sickened me deep inside, but it was no other alternative. No other choice. Obo just nodded looking concerned when Doctorval told him.

I became raged that this resistant cancer was set on growing, consuming my man and my future.

I kept telling him, "just one more treatment, hang in there it's over soon", but each day new diagnoses was made and the reality of it all became more and more present. Obo asked me: "I'm going to die, right?"
    "Oh no, the bio-engineered cells will kill off the tumors and you'll be on your feet soon" I assured him.
    "Just a few more operations and everything will be okay."

I had a nightmare that night. Letah was inside a temple with demons dancing around her. I was on a alcove in my everyday clothes. Obo was laying in front of me looking like I seen him in his hospital bed. Letah looked older, more evil and smiled at me. "You know what you have to do." And the demons started to whisper: "Let him die, let him die". Then a chill rised from the floor and smoothered me. I woke up freezing, tucking the Doctor's-coat tighter around me.

Obo looked more and more exhausted, he had lost all his hair and had become thin. You could see the bones were pressing against his skin. His eyes, mouth and nostrils was red in his pale face and when I told him he was going to be anestetisized for another operation he said in the most saddest voice I ever heard: "I don't wanna leave you". He knew he was becoming terminal ill.
    After each day he looked worse than the previous. He was soon attached to a respirator...

It is extreme risks involved operating patients in this state and after Doctorval operated to remove parts of infected organs his system soon became defected and the vital organs failed to work as they should.

I wen't to the hospital to review reports and results of the operation. Doctorval greeted me with a look that could only mean one thing. I looked at the files to be confirmed that there was no hope. A few hours later Obo passed away.

Letah came to the funeral but I couldn't even look at anyone, let alone her. After the funeral she came to shook my hand but our eyes didn't meet and she felt the fabric of my coat with her fingers instead, gave her sentiments and left.

I still have the holograms me and Obo made, I will keep them for as long as I live.

In the last line of your post, you say Obo. But in the movie, you say Curvs.