Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director – March 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    So what we need it for Sil?? Sector 42 hardly moves tbh
    For Rk1ers sure, but I'm seeing S42 done on a daily basis on rk2.

That said, Any chance for some type of voice communication with the raid interface? It would be a neat addition.
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

First off, lub the slotted updates, also good to hear that the engine is still getting work

"The main code feature we are currently working on is the addition of a true raid interface for the game"

So what we need it for Sil?? Sector 42 hardly moves tbh, and The Beast can be killed by 16-18 people.
    The Zerg raids of 80(?) players have perfected itself, I don't see what we need that spanking shiny new interface for?

Give us a raid that lasts more than 2 hours before it is beaten, and require more than 6 people instead.
    I may be reading too deep between the lines, but he also mentioned the high-level PF boosterpack, so here's hoping the booster has raids that need the raid interface *crosses-fingers*
    General of Umojan Protectorate - Technical Department
    General of Haven - Technical Department
    Norbal, 220/19 MP - "Slightly" off-kilter NM - equip
    Norbby, 220/20 Keeper - stabbing anything that moves

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    I bump this daily, drop by and say hi?

Mhm but now we are at a point where alot of people actually think FC made the current raidbots, they work out real good, people get loot.
    No new raid interface is gonna change that, people won't stop !join because of a interface.
    Bots won't go out of business because of it, because the majority of the player base is dependent upon the bots to tell them when to assist and when to move.

That is what needs to be changed, peoples ways of thinking "How do I get a BoC?"
    A new interface will not do that.
    if someone thinks that FC had any hand in the bots being used...... well... the nicest i can say is.. i question their intelligence level.

you'd be quite surprised at how many people totally detest raid bots. but they're all too much of a chicken to go against the bots.

considering that looting rights will be apart of the raid system, this should help people to realize they dont need the bots for many things.

and i know the bot owners could care less. infact, they'll prolly be pleased about not having to maintain the drama-causing things anymore.

people will change when they realize how much better it will be.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    ...snip...

If AO, with the new engine, does not function flawlessly in regards to dual-logging, you're going to have a serious problem on your hands. The worst thing about AO right now is having to tone down all your settings, no matter how good your gaming rig, in order to dual log. Because both clients want to use 99% of the processor, and will bicker amongst themselves bouncing from 55/44 to 44/55.

Water is great and all, but I'm going to go bananas if my dual logging (which is already crap beyond belief) is made even worse with a new engine.

...snip...
    The current engine in relation to dual logging is not a universal experience anyway - with a relatively crap PC (Athlon64 NewCastle ~2.4gHz, 1.5gb DDR400, nVidia 7900GS 512mb) I don't have to tone down jack to dual, triple, or quad, as much as hex log (to start the occasional vanity org). After 3 instances in a crowded area, things do start to lag, but its definitely still workable. And tbh, the improvement to the engine is in major part (we can assume) being made by updating the directx version, which will significantly unburden your CPU. Unless your graphics card is severely out of date, you should see only improvement.

Back on topic, the rest of the future stuff looks great. I think the raid interface will be quite useful, especially to newer players that are unfamiliar with the occasionaly obtuse commands for raidbots.

Bump for improving facial textures/poly counts as well
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Why would there be an end to raidsbots and points because of this?
    You clearly can't read. Which is somewhat amusing. Since you read the whole post. Apparently. And then quoted the whole thing. Eesh.

My point was I don't think people are going to use the new raid system, not for the institutionalised old raids. (SIMPLE: no rad sys 4 beast k i dnt wan loose point?)

I think it would be interesting if people did. It would end the zerg. But unfortunately, the zerg are volunteer prisoners. They welcome being stuck pointfarming for eternity, under the pretence of 'earning' their equipment. The important 12 to 18 people do. Everyone else is fluff.

And before anyone tries to criticise my hardline. I am a fluff raider.

But I don't think it'll happen. Too much pathetic whining. Until we get merit based raiding, which hopefully this will encourage, I don't sit in zergbots. As mentioned by someone above, I'm one of the haters. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with red hot pokers than do even one more raid in Beastchat.

That's not to say I wont. I drop by every now and then. Its unavoidable. But whilst there I'd rather be doing the eye thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Above me
    And tbh, the improvement to the engine is in major part (we can assume) being made by updating the directx version, which will significantly unburden your CPU. Unless your graphics card is severely out of date, you should see only improvement.
    You're right. We can assume that. But we're not talking about intent here. We're talking about hiccups in such an enormous undertaking. My gaming rig, while I don't particuarly like the motherboard (A8N-SLI, one of the first pci express 2 SLI boards) has a 64 bit processor, 4 gigs of ram, and an SLI setup on it.

While this is all fine and dandy for real games, I have to have every setting on minimum to dual log in Borealis, without it being highly irritating. In fact, performance increases when you decrease thread priority on client.exe - singular and multiples.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Mar 22nd, 2008 at 04:22:15.

Sweet, raid interface sounds gewd!
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

hey sil, people are sill wondering whats in the coh chest, just bringin that up, hope you keep that in mind

idea of raid interface initially sounds strange but i'm sure in the end it'll work out fine
    Threeze - 220/24/69 Neutral Fixer [Old New E], [Old Old E]
    Threezeley -220/17 Neutral Meta-Physicist
    Maytricks -218/18 Neutral Doctor
    Beautystrike -150/00 Neutral Nano-Technician
    Bloodred -150/05 Clan Agent
    Optimize -147/05 Omni Bureaucrat
    Maytri -120/02 Neutral Engineer
    Oneze -74/07 Neutral Fixer

All sounds great, keep 'em coming ^^

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Regarding zergbot death because of raid-interface, then I don't think that will happen... to get rid of zergbots, pandemonium either needs to be put even further down the looting order ranklist, or redesigned to accomodate more than one raidgroup not in a clinch.
    The need for the raidinterface is still very much there though. At least it would make things much easier to do as an org, but we'll see how it works out. I think that it could be used to slowly introduce content requiring more than one team, (maybe slowly increase it to 2, 3, 4) which could teach players that you can have a fun time raiding, that it doesn't have to be some grotesque lagathon for those with substandard PCs and a dull zombiegrind for those who don't. And most importantly, teach players that gathering together in an organisation as friends wanting to better the collective, rather than a group of people hoping only to further themselfes, and to hell with the others, is paramount to the game's future health and player enjoyment of the game.

How many people do you actually hear say that zergbot raiding is fun? The only fun in that is when you cause some kind of drama. Noone really likes zergbots, except those who sit at the top and go "ooh you all have to obey me!".

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    You're right. We can assume that. But we're not talking about intent here. We're talking about hiccups in such an enormous undertaking. My gaming rig, while I don't particuarly like the motherboard (A8N-SLI, one of the first pci express 2 SLI boards) has a 64 bit processor, 4 gigs of ram, and an SLI setup on it.

While this is all fine and dandy for real games, I have to have every setting on minimum to dual log in Borealis, without it being highly irritating. In fact, performance increases when you decrease thread priority on client.exe - singular and multiples.
    I have the A8N32-SLI (deluxe) and I'm not having much problem dual logging or anything. Of course, I do have an X2, so I just set afinity for the individual Client.exe to each their CPU.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I have the A8N32-SLI (deluxe) and I'm not having much problem dual logging or anything. Of course, I do have an X2, so I just set afinity for the individual Client.exe to each their CPU.
    Clever trick. This must be the same board, it can take an X2. I was an early adopter at the time and thought moving to 64 bit was enough of a leap, left the X2's alone. I seem to recall the word deluxe being involved as well. Old chips are cheap these days. Might be worth grabbing one given how much dual logging I do. Anyway. My blather is derailing this thread.

Where's the 180 replies by now? Not many speakers on this letter. Odd.
    Last edited by egadsrk2; Mar 22nd, 2008 at 15:56:25.

well said Masta
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    --------------------------------------------------
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Sil i have one major....well THE MOST IMPORTANT point for your list
    WORK TOGETHER WITH ATI SO WE CAN PLAY
    more then 2 months wihtout ao...yay.....normally i'd be flaming at you now but even if my flames are right it doesn't change anything in your opinion nor the way you work ....

So when it comes to testing the new raid interface...

Are we going to see a fix for test live transfer, or is it going to be actually tested on live, like the latest end game content has been since test live transfer was borked?

New content is fabulous don't get me wrong, but the inability to test it is kinda retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by streppelchen View Post
    Sil i have one major....well THE MOST IMPORTANT point for your list
    WORK TOGETHER WITH ATI SO WE CAN PLAY
    more then 2 months wihtout ao...yay.....normally i'd be flaming at you now but even if my flames are right it doesn't change anything in your opinion nor the way you work ....
    There's little point flaming FC when it isn't their fault. It is due to poor backwards compatibility in the drivers. New engine should resolve this. Or using an older card.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    The main code feature we are currently working on is the addition of a true raid interface for the game. This will allow for up to six groups to be linked into one raid group that is considered a single entity and allows for its own chat channels, loot rules and visibility of members health and nano status. It’s currently in development and we haven’t slotted it into a specific update just yet. It might make the 17.9 update but we haven’t reached the testing stage with it yet so we will have to wait a little while before announcing which update it will be included in. This will also allow us to produce raid instanced playfields in the future just for the members of the raid and balanced for the numbers involved just as we have done with the single team instances.
    And the calculations of DD will be done as per raid, right? So no more team of 6 shades sitting safely behind your force, KSing you on final encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    There's little point flaming FC when it isn't their fault. It is due to poor backwards compatibility in the drivers. New engine should resolve this. Or using an older card.
    you know that it's THEIR engine....the old one...THEY have to make it compatible with new cards....

you know that it's THEIR engine....the old one...THEY have to make it compatible with new cards....
    That is only partially true though.

The problem is that DirectX "hides" how different cards work.
    By writing something for one particular version of DirectX you are attempting to ensure that it works the same on all cards and should continue to function in the same way in the future.

However, the card makers are free to implement things as they see fit.

One thing that has differed over the years is pixel depth, ATI used 24bit Nvidia 32bit, i think. But it can cause things to behave differently.

Now, lets say, for arguments sake, that there is a function "DrawCircle".
    Initially, everyone draws the circle clockwise.
    One decides its far more efficient to draw 2 halves, one clockwise, one counter clockwise.

This different approach causes things not to work.

Whos fault is it?
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Gee I wonder what all this new engine talk has been about.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

This letter gives me some hope. I am glad to see our suggestions are taken in to account. I as always look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

And once again.. Masta QFT! Nicely put!
    Last edited by Xaun; Mar 23rd, 2008 at 14:11:25.

allows player to have another, safer PVP option and one that isn’t as open to anti-social behavior like ganking and trying to trick people into PVP.

laff!

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast