Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OOC - To all you budding writers....

Well, Nuli's more inspired from a komodo dragon...was talking with Cylie last night about that But....I actually really am interested in finding out what Nuli would look like if AO's graphics were...uh...less restrictive, as far as species goes :P

But holy crap, it's good to see the illustrators coming outta the woodwork I was worried that part would fall kinda flat.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Nulion View Post
    And Jenshai, by the way...very nice artwork you've got there! How have you been doing with the artwork since you got out of high school? I imagine it's improved even further

Actually I have a few master pieces that I will probably never finish because I don't think I will get back to that level. Ten plus hours just on the eyes, eight on the lips, etc

I am not spending twelve or more hours doing art and submitting it, getting corrected and improving.

So, the next thing I draw, probably the first thing this year will take five or more roughs to get right.

The second picture was in ink, that means there is no room for mistakes, you can't rub that out.

this project inspired me to dig through some old sketchbooks looking for a picture i started but never finished of the most prominent people in my org

Quetzalcoatl

From left to right:
    Racatti - Racsyka - Faolfior - Azshara - Troxination - Blazebot - Oberdoc

I did this about a month after LE came out. You can tell I hadn't had any figure classes yet because the bodies are all stylized LOL but it kinda pertains to the subject of this thread so figured I'd post anyway :P
    Last edited by Azshara; Mar 29th, 2008 at 14:55:29.
    Azshara - 220/23/70 Meta-Physicist
    Gen of Quetzalcoatl

Other projects in progress:
    Azsyka, Azshyra, Azshes

Oooo....neat!
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

OK, hands up all those who are writing, or doing graphics? I'll update the original post with a list of submitters, and we'll get this cranking...

p.s I know a few of you have started already, that's awesome!

p.p.s Thoughts on inclusion of Atlantean in same book, or a separate book?

p.p.p.s - stop using p.s, p.p.s etc.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

I've had my piece for a while now, just need to spruce it up a bit and give it some more details.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I might write something, or add to my first story. As well as trying some photoshop magic. I guess I'll just have to get off my butt and move.

*Creative writing juices will not flow for AO.*

Will do some drawings.

Just a note on drawings/illustrations. These need to be contextual to the stories presented, so once the confirmed writers have started/finished, it'll need to be coordinated with them as to something regarding their story that they would like to see.

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Just a note on drawings/illustrations. These need to be contextual to the stories presented, so once the confirmed writers have started/finished, it'll need to be coordinated with them as to something regarding their story that they would like to see.
    as expected

and ill help out for sure
    Gen of Quetzalcoatl

Azsyka, Azshyra, Azshes

Story has Atrox enforcer bashing some critter. Facing page has an opifex picking flowers.

Yes, I can see how it would be better to read the story.

I'll do some writing. Hmm, I know exactly what It will be on. This will be fun.
    *finishes up the other two stories that he's working on at the moment so he can get started on this*

That pic Tussa made is so nice, too I just wish it was more....uh....lizardy. But it's not. But that's okay, because she did a bang-up job on it anyway.
    Ugh, that old picture...there are so many flaws in it. I would like to think I have improved a bit since then and that I could make a better one. How lizardy it would be, I don't know, cause I haven't followed your story and know nothing about Nuli's state these days and even less about how he looks. But you could've asked if I would do an update to the picture a long time ago .

Anyway...I'm posting cause I think this is an awesome project and I really do hope it gets off the ground. I can contribute with maybe some writing and perhaps some Poser pics, if acceptable, even if I'm a filthy RK1'er .

Chapter 2 is coming along nicely.

Hiya Tussa! I lurk on your DevArt site every now and then to see stuff you've done over the years, hope you dont mind. =)
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Aww, so kind of ya, Tussa!

I felt bad, because I really enjoyed the work you've done on making that picture for me, only to have my character evolve and change over the years. I actually remember that at the time the picture was being done, the only "discernible" change on Nuli's body was his eyes, and that was such a small part of his body, that it didn't matter much...

But yeah, I really felt bad having to stray from all ya did. And sure, the picture has its imperfections, but what doesn't? I still show that thing off to people, and refer 'em to your website

As for how Nuli is now? ....Well...think "komodo dragon". I think Sotto really nailed it on the head when he posted that joke picture earlier in the thread, hehe.

But yeah, that's just me, too. I bet we've all got neat quirks with our characters That's what I'd worry about, that it's hard to imbue a drawing with all the subtleties of our characters. The artists would have to pay attention to that, as little as I like telling people what they've gotta do...but hey, it's the reality of a character drawing, isn't it?

I've been taking a drawing class recently, and I've been doing okay on landscapes, which need to be injected with that essence of character every bit as much as a drawing of a person would be.

Buuuut....I'm completely *crap* at drawing anything even remotely humanoid o.O We haven't even gotten to that part of the class.

Buuuut....I'm completely *crap* at drawing anything even remotely humanoid o.O We haven't even gotten to that part of the class.
    Do it anyways and just define it as "abstract art"

Oh c'mon, I can't do that At the moment, I can only do landscapes

But yeah, that's just me, too. I bet we've all got neat quirks with our characters That's what I'd worry about, that it's hard to imbue a drawing with all the subtleties of our characters. The artists would have to pay attention to that, as little as I like telling people what they've gotta do...but hey, it's the reality of a character drawing, isn't it?
    As long as everyone keeps in mind that the drawing is not going to be 100% accurate to someone's personal idea of what their character should look like (and thus doesn't get too anal with having the artist make lots and lots of tiny little changes) I don't foresee an issue

I've been taking a drawing class recently, and I've been doing okay on landscapes, which need to be injected with that essence of character every bit as much as a drawing of a person would be.
    One of the classes I'm taking this semester is a Concept Character/Environment class. It's 100% digital which has taken some getting used to for me, but it is by far my favorite class. My teacher told me I was like an "earth goddess" the other day because everything I draw is natural, cute, cuddly, soft, flowing, earthy, green, etc, etc Not that I don't appreciate the cold, dark, and sinister, but my disposition leans much more to the "let's all be happy friends" than the "i want to slice up your family". (Ex)

Two of my favorite techniques for coming up with ideas for characters are the scribble game and textures. For the first, you basically sit down and draw 50-100 or more scribbles or silhouettes, and then look for characters in your doodles. Kind of like when a psychiatrist asks you about ink blots, but seriously it's amazing how well that works.

For the second all you do is look for an idea in a texture. For example, seeing a cloud that you think looks like a horse. Lichen, bark, grass, mushrooms, woodgrain, literally anything can be some sort of inspiration for you. Usually in this process you will only see something like a head and have to generate the rest of the form from your imagination.

Hope that helps If you'd like I'd be happy to upload some of the process work from my class to kind of illustrate those two methods, starting with the scribbles or textures and turning that idea into a functional character.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Do it anyways and just define it as "abstract art"
    I think that is Zee's solution for everything

EDIT: just realized you said "drawing class" not "character design" class so actually nothing i just posted would apply to you i dont think XD nerf making posts too early in the morning
    Last edited by Azshara; Apr 4th, 2008 at 14:58:13.
    Gen of Quetzalcoatl

Azsyka, Azshyra, Azshes

Hehehe....very nice artwork you posted there!

But yeah, I don't have character design or anything like that offered here at my campus...it's a drag >.<

Sooo, I just have to stick with drawing....For now. It'll be way beyond the time that this project allows for, that I'll be any good at drawing characters, or faces, etc etc.

And as for details on the artwork, and not getting too nitpicky....Well, should we perhaps submit screenshots of our characters, along with a description, to those who would do the art? I'm not sure how it would best work out for those who'd do artsy stuffs, hehe.

Hehe thanks Nulion ^ ^

About the actual execution, when I did the drawing I posted earlier of my orgmates I basically made them all equip the armor / weapon(s) they wanted to be drawn with and then stand and pose for me for a minute or two while I took screenies from several different angles. Whether the artist and subject want to meet ingame or just have screenies sent to each other would be up to the two to decide I suppose.

The description would help a lot tho, so imo that's kind of a requirement ^ ^

obviously *some* changes are going to be expected, none of us are going to get it perfect on the first try, I just meant more that comments such as "i think the position of my left pointer finger should be changed" or w/e can get kind of annoying after awhile :P
    Last edited by Azshara; Apr 4th, 2008 at 16:42:51.
    Gen of Quetzalcoatl

Azsyka, Azshyra, Azshes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast