Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OOC - To all you budding writers....

OOC - To all you budding writers....

... and FC events team as well.

OK, I have floated this idea to a few noted RP people, and it seems to be gaining some traction, so I'll put the offer out in the open for discussion to see where it leads.

Bascially there are a lot of RP people around with great stories to tell, but no quick and easy way to find out about them all. What I am proposing is to offer my design studio's resources to design/proof/edit/typeset and publish the stories of the RP characters as a book that can be freely downloaded by anyone, in PDF format.

The initial idea for the format is as follows....

1) (optional/conditional on FC events participation) - prefaces written in 1st person narrative by the primary legacy leaders of each faction.

2) Any RP character can write a story, must be in 1st person, about an aspect of their life on Rubi-Ka including links (if any) to legacy leaders etc where possible, and also desirable any interactions with other RP characters. Each story must be more than 10 pages, but less than 30, and will conclude with a short biography of 1 page length written in 3rd person about the character.

3) Each story will contain 1 appropriate image to support the story. My initial thoughts would be to utilise the illustrative prowess of some players of AO, but if this proves too difficult due to sheer numbers, we can investigate other options. (want to avoid screenshots if possible, hint hint Xaun, Azshara and co)

For my part, I'm offering my company's design resources to build the entire framework for the book, which will be open to review by a few people prior to release. I seek no money for this, only an opportunity to enrich the RP community and have some fun at the same time. For your part it's a chance to get the creative juices flowing.

I also realise that Atlantean may wish to get involved, and so my solution is to (hopefully) use the same legacy leader intros for both dimensions as they should be the same, and the offer is open to them as well.... so yes, that's two books

I will also be requiring the assistance of a few people with regards to collating the material, design review, and some basic checks to ensure the integrity of the stories prior to launch.

Anyways, the offer is out there, happy to discuss before moving ahead.
    Last edited by Zeephonz; Mar 19th, 2008 at 09:32:16.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Thumbs up

I applaud this initiative. Once published, will the book be regularly updated to reflect additions to the RP Community?

I’ll try to work on a submission, but I usually don’t write in first person, so I’m probably going to stink at it.

If you need any help with this project please let me know. I'm sure our Alliance has some resources we can point your direction.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Aw man, this is directly up my alley

I've already said it, but will say it again; I definitely can't wait to see where this goes. I'll definitely be writing a story I even normally write in first person, so it works great.

I've got a question though...As for the illustrations...Is there anything you would like us to provide as far as that goes? The character I play is...different. He's a mutant, actually. So if I were to get an image of him put in the game, I'd try to get a screenshot with his typical attire, and include a description of the other peculiarities of his body.

So how exactly are ya doing all of this? You mentioned something about a publishing agency, but I was unclear on that. I guess you guys would have in-house illustrators and such? ...Although that sounds like a big project for you guys o.O ...At least, I'm imagining so!

At any rate, thank you so much for doing something like this! It sounds like great fun
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

This + This = The New and Improved Mutant Nulion!

Oooh! Daddy can we keep him!?

Eyowen ~ 220/23 Martial Artist ~ Should Reroll Shade
    Pheyde ~ 214/16 Trader ~ Tradeskilling Tool
    Panini ~ 220/24 Doctor ~ Doesn't PvP

~ Proud President of NinjaKittens ~

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    This + This = The New and Improved Mutant Nulion!
    Daaaang, chop the man below the belt, why dontcha? =P
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Nulion View Post
    Aw man, this is directly up my alley So how exactly are ya doing all of this? You mentioned something about a publishing agency, but I was unclear on that.
    I actually have a design agency, not a publishing agency. I have several senior designers to call on. What we do at our organisation is to encourage people to take on personal projects using internal resources, from time to time, as an opportunity to enhance their own skills through personal diversification. This project is my one

While we are a design agency, we have designed/laid out and worked with publishers on many books, from reference material to poetry.

What I am proposing is to offer the same thing to the RP community, all except the actual printing. The final material will be supplied as follows...

Low resolution US Letter & A4 .PDF files suitable for reading on-screen
    High resolution US Letter & A4 .PDF files suitable for reading on-screen or printing out

Quote Originally Posted by Nulion View Post
    I guess you guys would have in-house illustrators and such? ...Although that sounds like a big project for you guys o.O ...At least, I'm imagining so!
    I will not be providing illustration services. What I am suggesting is that some of the illustrators within the AO community may wish to be involved to contribute. If this doesn't look like a reality, we won't utilise images at all apart from the cover, as screen-shots are just not going to make the grade.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Hehehe, nice one Sotto. And actually, that's EXACTLY the image I was going for Particularly the tongue, which always interested me. Komodo dragons ftw, hehe.

That pic Tussa made is so nice, too I just wish it was more....uh....lizardy. But it's not. But that's okay, because she did a bang-up job on it anyway.

And I'm sorry, I kinda get design and publishing mixed up. Still extremely neat though I don't know of any artists who'd be willing to do something like *this*

So...uhm...anybody know any artists? I might be taking a drawing class at school, but I'm nowhere near good enough to provide images of this sort. I'm just a little art-gimplet, hehe.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

I used to draw, but I've been neglecting it in the past years in favour of writing. And I do vectors more than anything else, which may not fit such a project in the end. This said, depending on whether my summer is packed with studying again or not, who knows, I might be able to give a hand. (Let's say it'd be a good incentive to take a pencil and a mouse again.)
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Someone got my attention.. This is a very interesting proposition.. The funny part is that I have written a very long mixed 1st / 3rd person story for RP.. I had been recently debating continuing it.. so hmmm...

Is it only legends or can "new" people make submissions? Will there be anyone writing about those who are not role-players or don't have the confidence / ability to write their own stories well?

Some players have impacted the time line without role-playing.

Here are two things I did in high school. I couldn't come up with any others, might have some at home ...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...rt/Catface.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...yformatted.jpg

So if anyone wants some hobbiest hand drawings I will give it a bash. I haven't taught myself how to use Photoshop yet. Scanning will be a bit of an issue, either going to a photo / print shop or coming in early to work. When the witch is in her lair she likes us to be behind our desks looking busy.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

Legends? Hehehe...Of course not; anybody can submit. Just ahead and let those creative juices flow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    Is it only legends or can "new" people make submissions?
    Who are these legends that you speak of? I wasn't aware there were any.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    So modest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    I think the only one with a true Legacy is Nulion. The rest of us who may get lumped into that category I would just call Veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I think the only one with a true Legacy is Nulion.
    So true. Out of all of us Nulion has been there the longest and the most Epic.
    Tresa "Cylie" Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    So modest.
    Ya, I think out of all the RP'rs, Nulion would definitely be the most popular. He's been around for a long time, and I swear he trips and falls into plots.

As for 'Legends' I guess I would have to say it aint Bubba. Bubba is kinda mostly on the fringe of most of what happens on a daily basis. And, to be honest, is not even remotely a complex or challenging character. He's just a roughneck. =)
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Me...? Epic? *shys away into a corner and idly reads magazines....whistles!*

*eep!*

...I guess I have a knack for somehow getting myself into the darndest of situations, hehehe. Somehow. o.O

But I've gotta insist that there's a lot greatness all over the place, and that Nuli would be nothing if it weren't for the interactions with all the other people's interesting and great stories. Nuli's only who and what he is because of you guys

So c'mon! I wanna see more people's stories!

...I think I'll be cooking up a long letter as my "story". A letter to who, and for what reason? ...Only I know! *evil laughter*

And Jenshai, by the way...very nice artwork you've got there! How have you been doing with the artwork since you got out of high school? I imagine it's improved even further
    Last edited by Nulion; Mar 28th, 2008 at 19:07:56.

Zee talked to me about this project the other day and I thought it sounded like a great idea and would be quite fun. I for one would love to help out with the illustration side of things
    Azshara - 220/23/70 Meta-Physicist
    Gen of Quetzalcoatl

Other projects in progress:
    Azsyka, Azshyra, Azshes

Quote Originally Posted by Azshara View Post
    Zee talked to me about this project the other day and I thought it sounded like a great idea and would be quite fun. I for one would love to help out with the illustration side of things
    Ooooooo Start with Nuli. Think ... Opifex. Then, Mix in Godzilla with Ruse 3 Running. The result is what Nuli has mutated into! lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast