Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missions

Missions

Ok we all know that missions are THE way to get the XP, the cash and the loot.

Hunting is now done by only a few, but not because they think its better than missions, but because they enjoy the outdoors more, they are bored of the same old mobs and indoor zones, and it's always cramped and repedetive.

Sure they are releasing the all new mob camps and all. But people will still do missions, no matter what.

So here's a possible solution.

Instead of luring people away from missions, make the missions enjoyable.
    I'm talking instead of having indoor mission rooms with the old '3 mobs in the main, 1 mob every few rooms' layout, why not make 'outdoor missions'. Not literally outdoors, but instead, you zone into the mission and instead of killing mobs in caves and complexes, you have to locate the mission objective amidst a large herd of <insert big scary monster name here>, all wandering around a river between two large cliff faces, or a dense forest packed with extremely tall trees...
    Sure it wouldn't REALLY be outside, or a very large zone, but it's an improvement.

And of course, don't just change the location, add many wierd and wonderfull monsters to kill that fit the landscape.
    One of the funner things I did was to hunt out at mort near the dungeons, sure the xp isnt as good as inside, but its great seeing some bloke riding a huge dinosaur-like creature and a horned demon come running at you with bared fangs etc....
    A lot of effort must have been put in the think up and create those beasts, and all we do is shoot up other humans?

I typed this all up knowing very well that actually adding this type of stuff to the game would be impossible/extremely hard/time consuming, but hey, just something to read in between the:
    "I'm quitting the game, so I'll just try and convince everyone else to hate the game too" threads, as well as the
    "nerf this, nerf that" threads
    the "I lost 300 xp and the GM did nothing, cry bitc h moan complain" threads
    the "this guy asked me for a buff, kill his family!" threads

You get me.

Cheers

Thumbs up Yay !

Magical Steve - thats a magical Idea !

I'm with ya man !

K- We'll never get to see this - but good idea
    ScottyB
    Lvl 107 NT - Rubi-Ka 1 - Clan

I really hope that with the new outdoor additions it will really make a difference.. in the off chance that the experience and loot will be just as good as a team mission. If its not.. its a waste of server space.

Very awesome idea though! Who knows.. anything is possible.

I agree the room to room kill , and sit makes missions pretty simple. I dont think it would be that hard to set up missions to port you into your own "Zone" or Area through a cave or something. And just put the mission objective at the other far end.

Wishful thinking weeee
    Shattered Dreams
    http://www.shattereddreams.org

I agree - I'm having a blast playing a new alt and revisiting all the old outdoor hunting areas I frequented a year ago....I actually miss the solitary days of old, running across Wailing Wastes looking for new sights and stuff to kill....thinking that the War Academy was something only you have discovered lol....

What I really don't understand is the outdoor hunting nerf from way back - what was the purpose of that? The resulting dependence on BS missioning seems like the exact opposite of what FC would want us to do...

i'm glad they're bringing back the outdoor hunting, and I'm glad my fixer main has the Team Fixer Grid nano to take ppl wherever we need to go
    Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
    Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

Hey! Positive feedback.

Thanks fellas

sweet

Steve that is awesome. Unfortunately ScottyB is probably right - we will never see such a wonderful and glorious concept put into action. It sucks but its 99% reality. Regardless, I am with you all the way on that one.

Yup.. they should have never changed the outdoor hunting places.. they took away several high level areas.. like the medusa in DAV and EFP.. when all they had to do was lessen hte exp gain on them instead. And there were a few other places.. which I dont recall off the top of my head.

Getting old and drinking too much does that to a person
    Shattered Dreams
    http://www.shattereddreams.org

I recently came back after canceling my account about a month after the game went live.

I'm finding that there are a lot of nice changes but the stupid mission generator camping was one of the reasons I quit the first time. I still really hate the mission generators and have taken to roaming around outside the cities trying to find stuff to kill. To me that is so much better than the silly same mission rooms over and over. How do you guys/gals stand the same mission rooms over and over? I'm thinking I might have to quit a second and final time if I can't progress by hunting outside the missions.

Kalorn

OMFG Great idea!!!!!!!

I love it. Get a key to a door that leads to an outdoor area. No more staring at the same dumb walls and furniture. No more pet problems. Aggro would be different since everyone would pretty much have line of sight.

great idea...

This might be a good further use for the Order/Chaos slider.

Further to Order -> More building missions and urban "outdoor" missions (hunt down and assassinate someone in a semi-outdoor highrise area a la the newbie places).

Further to Chaos -> More caves and "outdoor" missions (longer caves, forests, nature preserves).

Or add an Indoor/Outdoor slider. Money would be better indoors (there'd be fewer chests in Outdoor missions, maybe one or two "stashes"), experience a bit better outdoors.
    THEOREM:
    Omni Bureaucrats work for "The Man."
    "The Man" is the >190 Fixer title.
    Ergo, Phillip Ross is a Fixer.
    -QED-

Great idea! Im glad to see that Im not the only sick and tired of seeing the same walls over and over again. I've even killed the same boss(well...he had the same name)multiple times. In fact, I got past level 100 hunting outdoors and I miss doing that now. Hopefully these new outdoor camps are just the first step in improving the outdoor hunting scene.

This is an A[COLOR=orange-red]M[/COLOR]AZING idea!

Cosmik here's a cookie: O

Here are some more: O O O O

Wait! A whole plate of cookies:

Code:
    .                 O
    .                OOO
    .               OOOOOO
    .              OOOOOOOOO
    .           ______________
    Once you're done snacking, will you RUN to the devs with this idea?! They'll groan at first, but they'll love it once they really think about it!

I'd like to see some profession specific missions.

Adventurer: You'd get an outdoors one, as you said. Maybe the reward would involve finding and staying near ('observing') a creature for a set period of time.

Agent: This mission would involve sneaking. A lot. Extra bonuses for not getting 'detected', but it would be a lot harder to stay secret. Probably would involve sabotage, or assasination. Or both.

Bureaucrat: Some sort of secratary thing... Gah, I can't think properly right now. Maybe the reward could be finding, picking up, and 'using' order forms to gain a reward item..

Doctor: Doctors would need to infiltrate a warzone-style mission area. Lots of corpses would be spread around, as well as enemy mobs. Token reward would rely on not amount of kills, but amount of 'corpses' the Doctor used spare Treat kits on.

Engineer: Something that would revolve around robots and mechanics...perhaps the mission would take place in a junkyard. Maybe bots could even get a little damage boost for taking an Engi-specific mission. (Oh, come on- Engis have it tough, give them a break) The reward might be given for assembling robot parts that could be found in the mission area.

Enforcer: Something that involves beating the living %^#$^$ out of everything in sight. (Some sort of extra bonus for killing all the mobs in the mission?)

Fixer: Oooh, now this is an interesting one. I've got a special idea for this one..
    Fixers would go to a specialized terminal. This terminal would give them some sort of item. Now, the higher level the mission was, the more 'illegal' the item is. This means that if you hang around in a guard's LOS for too long, they'll shoot you regardless of faction. (In reeeaaally high level missions, guards would shoot you on sight.)
    Anyway, when they get the item, the fixer would have to travel to a playfield and find the named NPC. Upon giving the item to mentioned NPC, Fixer recieves award. (Don't you just love my grammar?!) Of course, the further you have to travel, the larger the reward.

Martial Artist: Let's face it...MA = Ninja. Period. For the MAs, we'll have some sort of cool night assasination mission. You can either bash your way through or sneak past the mobs.

Meta-Physicist: I'm really not sure, but I imagine MPs would have to use their pets to complete the mission.

Nano-Technician: Might involve collecting 'super' nano-program parts from mobs, then assembling them for a one-time-use nanoprogram that would allow the NT to blow up the mission area- and any remaining mobs. Long cast time.

Soldier: Involves blowing stuff up. Soldiers would act as a demolitions man, possibly activating some sort of explosive device at the end of the mission, then given a timer to get out.

Trader: I don't know, but I imagine it would be something similar to the Fixer missions.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Eh? Why give the cookies to Cosmik? I don't get it.

*stares blanky*

btw sorry if I'm not all active and everything, I live in Canberra, different time zone.
    Just had to spread the idea

oh, and also I did know none of this was going to happen, just incase you missed this in my original post:
    I typed this all up knowing very well that actually adding this type of stuff to the game would be impossible/extremely hard/time consuming

Outdoors won't be frequented until a couple things happen:

There are things to kill outdoors at high levels (sorry, but that's when BS missions REALLY start to suck).

Monster mobs are either reduced in toughness until they're approximately equivalent to human mobs (preferred) or human mobs are boosted to the equivalent of monster mobs (major nerf). Right now, monster mobs are SIGNIFICANTLY harder than human mobs for similar or lesser XP.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Good point, Kiryat-Dharin.

Originally posted by MagicalSteve
    Eh? Why give the cookies to Cosmik? I don't get it.

*stares blanky*
    Cosmik has been known to visit threads when cookies are offered to him. I thought maybe a whole plate would increase our chances.

I can't believe I actually need to bump this

I want my fixer missions!

Oh, ok Iphigenia

Bring on the cookies.

1) Kill the Boss - Why not have it so sometimes missions require you to actually go to one of these new monster camps they've introduced and kill the boss? Not only would it provide people with a reason to go outdoors, it would promote the location and general level range of the camps.

2) Live with/observe - Have these types of missions where you observe someone in/near a city of the opposite faction with appropriate level guards, etc., nearby. This would be perfect to introduce for mid level people (100ish). Requirements that everyone on the team be of the same faction or better for single player mission, especially agent/fixer specific.

3) Spiked food sacks/use item on something - See #2 above.

4) Assassination See #2 above.

In each of those scenarios, the objective could be a static one or spawn in a playfield once the mission is selected. Just a thought.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast