Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The l33ts and the n3wbs of PvP in AO

This is from Megabio and NOT from me.

Okay. I dislike runners greatly. You all can use the "But I don't want to die!" but that is total crap. This is a game. I am sorry, but when you keep putting context into real life - then yes, you are going to have a problem. If you run in MMD or 2HO, that is fine - those are warzones. You probably didn't accept the duel anyway - much like if you were in camelot (assuming you wern't already dead but you are waiting for the servers to "catch up" ).

However, if you are in a duel at the Arena (or agreed to duel, wherever the place) there is a different set of moral standards. If you die, it is because you agreed to a duel, and you knew what could happen. I'm not trying to be ub4r 1337, but I never decline a duel nor do I ever run from a duel. However, when I accept a duel I realize that I have the chance to die and if you don't want to take that chance than keep titlehugging in MMD or 2HO.

Anyway that's my two cents..

~Chris

This is from Megabio and NOT me
    ....flojojojo | 220/17 vanguard, rimor's first 200 adventurer | equip | perks
    ..outtatime | 190/3 fixer

playing wow (pyrelight, 70 priest on uther server, alliance)
    retired from rubi-ka

Ok, since there is no dedicated rules for things like this in PvP. Isn't this a thread saying:

---------------------------------------------
    Quote from person X:

But what I say is right, you way is wrong
    ----------------------------------------------

NO NO! What I say is right, your way is wrong!.

It just seems to me, with all these "well written" arguements, that personal preference and the tools that were given to us from Funcom come into play.

Me, as a frail NT, will run all over Tir to fight someone. Why you ask? "But I have seen Gunnandahalf almost tank before" Because Funcom gave me rooting abilities and long range attacks.

Now running and zoning is another issue, but with most classes having crowd control abilities, too bad for you if you can't kill them before they get away.

Oh, and there is a type of "coward" IMHO. The one that chooses to attack you without notice AKA no preperation, using that alpha until you are at half. Then, when the tides turn decide to run away.

This is usually marked by all the onlookers saying "lol" and "lmao".

I agree with Megabio:

If it's a duel (as in a formal request to knock heads), take the beating coming to you until you win or gaze upon the bitter bright light.

If it's a gank, 2ho, MMD, Camelot, save your sorry ass any way you can.

Some good ol' rhetoric

It's not a l33t thing. If you were playing poker with a guy who pulled his chips when he had a bad hand, how fun would that be?
    So I enter into every hand of poker expecting to win. We also agreed to bet money on the issue. Now if I get a pair, and my opponent keeps on raising the pot, am I cowardly if I decide to fold early on?

No. Obviously not. What's happening here is that at some point during the hand, I realize that I am not likely to win. Thus, I fold, saving my money so that I can continue playing longer. How is this any different in AO? I go into 2ho expecting PvP. I want to kill people. Someone attacks me. I engage because I think I can win. However, at some point during the fight, I decide that I will probably not win, and thus I run. If I die, I would have to wait around to reclaim, heal, rebuff, and rezone. A waste of time and not exactly fun. If I run, I may get away and be back to PvPing in a minute or two.

Duels are an exception because there is an implied "to the death" in the offer.

Its different because in AO you only interact with the person through a computer terminal and never have to look them in the eye

That way, if someone runs from you and you don't like it, you can call them a coward without suffering any consequenses.
    Last edited by Geofforey; Sep 19th, 2002 at 09:38:04.

In mass PvP, I run if need be; in one on one duels, I stand my ground until either my opponent or me is dead.... being and NT, that would usually be me. heh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123