Thread: Leadership

Leadership

In time away from the Council, I have done a bit of reflection. I know some of what i'm going to say might get in me a little hot water with some people but if it concerned me that much, I wouldn't be saying it.

Somewhere along the way the Council lost its leadership. From Simon Silverstone in the beginning, who didn't want the job and who didn't lead it, to Sir Tristam, who deals more with the Redeemed and their struggle, who also didn't lead it, to our newest and most central leader, Aideen Landau who made a stirring speech when given the position, but has since faded into the same role as the former leadership...and doesn't lead it.

I think back to all of the old holo-vids I watched of Council meetings when Radiman ran things and while the clans have most certainly changed, he was a leader. He was there when the Clans needed him, he made decisions based on input from the Council and took the heat when things went wrong. Our leadership today finds its footing mostly on the battlefields of Rubi-Ka rather than in some stuffy old building making speeches and getting yelled at for one reason or another.

My fellow Clans, it is time for a leader to emerge from among us, whether it is a legacy clan leader or a new arrival, a leader is the only way this Council will begin to get back on its feet.

In our current state, we still pit one faction against the other. Pro-War, Pro-Peace and Undecided... I said this in the beginning but it was destined to fail. Only through hard work and sheer determination from the founders of this newly arisen Council and those who kept it going later on did we make it work within the boundaries set forth originally. Well, people can only do so much and have it thrown in their faces before fatigue sets in.

I say that we set down this notion of Pro-War, Pro-Peace and Undecided and start living under one belief.

We are all Clanners.

Only when we see that we are on the same side, no matter what you believe, can we begin to rise and win the freedom we've fought hundreds of years for.

Comments? suggestions?

Bring back Radiman?
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I am not sure if Mr. Radiman would come back given the current state of affairs. The side not a lot of people know about me is that I try to work with a lot of different viewpoints to have a greater impact across the clans. Given that, I would welcome Mr. Radiman back because honestly, every bit is going to help.

Come to the Clans, Dabblez.

I believe I had a similar view once.. UCN I believe it became named.. "United Clan Nation"

this isn't a restructuring of the Council. This is for people to find a leader and try to forget those pro-war, pro-peace, and undecided monikers hung on each of them.

This may very well be the gullible med student in me, but is there absolutely no organic matter remaining around from Radiman for a regeneration of one variation or another? I never met the man... doubt I was ever even on the same half of Rubi-ka as him even... but I hear he was a nice guy.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    this isn't a restructuring of the Council. This is for people to find a leader and try to forget those pro-war, pro-peace, and undecided monikers hung on each of them.
    The UCN wasn't either. It was to forget the pro-war, peace, etc yadda hung on the current CoT.. It was for us to find a new leader willing to be involved by a show of action and political suave in an open forum for debate (and something to RP ~_~) by campaigning for position and letting us decide who we wanted to lead us as a people and a nation not as a bunch of splinter cells. But apparently my assassination was most ill timed as my message never got across and others who were not me carried the mantle in my absence.

A lot of people have misinterpreted what i'm saying. I know that it's because I didn't explain it well enough now. This is not a call for Radiman to come back. Radiman was a shining example of what the Council needs.

I would like to see him at more meetings though because he is a major figure in the Clans. Goodness knows that we could all learn something from chatting with him. As much as I reacted against his stance, i've always respected Radiman. I think a lot of people believe that because I moved against something; it amounted to not liking them. Xeavier Humbold and I get along like peas in the proverbial pod and have had many great conversations together where the notions of his "peace" and my "war" were thrown out of the window and we were just clan to clan.

Xeavier Humbold caused me to sink back into my beliefs and basically "calm down" enough to re-think the Council.

...and about the UCN: The UCN...(because I just re-read it over the last week or two) wanted to restructure the voting process and such. We can't do that. We need a leader, for sure, but we can't think about restructuring the voting process. It won't happen.

A speaker needs to be active and speak. We need someone who can "lead" the Council, that can speak for the whole without bias and with fore-thought. Someone who people know to go to for any council related matters and is available in one form or another.

((Most likely, this will have to be a player, but i've found in nearly 5 years that players don't like other players deciding for them and with that, others can begin to resent this person. Theres a way around it, sure, but it might cause more dissent in the membership if *this* person doesn't get it like it did originally with certain organizations not joining because (ha!) Radiman didn't get the job of speaker. I like to think we're at least 3 years older and can move past that now with some of the things I have in mind.))

Show me a nation that can leave their past behind and you'll show me a nation without history.

While we need new speaker, I just hope it's not one of those brilant ideas "oh, let's take CoT, rename it, change the rules and sell out clans" again. Past showed that didn't worked too well, no matter what the intentions were.

The path to Omni Prime is pawned with good intentions.
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

Funny. You're actually one of the people I was thinking about as far as leadership goes.

well look no further i am right here
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Quote Originally Posted by playboyfixer View Post
    well look no further i am right here
    Take him and I dump my rotten tomatoes stock on Tir.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Trgeorge View Post
    Show me a nation that can leave their past behind and you'll show me a nation without history.

While we need new speaker, I just hope it's not one of those brilant ideas "oh, let's take CoT, rename it, change the rules and sell out clans" again. Past showed that didn't worked too well, no matter what the intentions were.
    I needed to add to my comment but it's been a while so you get a new reply.

I'm positive that it was never anyones intention to have the Council disband, grow stale or otherwise. We all want to see it work.

I can say that this isn't changing the name, just how we view things. I'll have to take another post to explain it properly but essentially, we've needed a leader for a long time now and we haven't had one. Clerical Staff kept it running and no matter what anyone thinks, the CS has no real ability to shape anything that the Council does. I have made a lot of changes to the way the Council is viewed...but they are really only noted by its membership and not many outside of it.

Leadership is the first step into changing that.

When clanners start caring about the cause, their brothers and sisters, and not themselves, or their popularity we'll see a change. Untill that point is reached we will continue to see a decline. Freedom or Pride. Time to make your choice clanners.
    Point Blank

I'm flattered, but I'm unable to take on such responsibility. First of all I have other obligations, so I wouldn't be left with much time. And I'm sure another speaker that takes a job as "weekend" thingy wouldn't help clans one bit. Another thing is that while I don't mind leading, I loath forcing people into following. Call me a chicken, but I'm afraid of turning into tyran.
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

I know it's been a while since I said something about this.

It is not something that is going to happen over night. Currently, Mr. Landau is the speaker, but a vote should be coming up to renew or change that. He's been there a year and his time is up. Why it hasn't been addressed yet is a failure of the Clerical Staff and reflects poorly on the Council as a whole. I blame myself for letting this happen. It may not seem like such a huge issue to you, the readers, but to me it is a very big issue.

I bring this up as an example that the Council is in serious need of work.

This isn't a recruitment ad. This isn't telling you to come to the meetings. I'm asking the clans to take a look and see what this once great organization has become. It needs people, it needs an active spokesperson (or leader, however you want to say it).

Do we really want to see this bastion of clan democracy fall by the way side because we're too busy to be involved in the closest thing we've ever had to a government?

-Taren

"Bastion of Clan democracy" is perhpas a little misleading.

Democracy is based on the notopn of one person, one vote. Mayor Toog was elected by the people of Newland, making Newland the first and only democracy on Rubi-Ka.

A council of largely unlected Clan chieftans is not a democracy. The council may vote on items, but the people voting are not elected representatives of the people. I recall when Silverstone took over Tir. He was not voted into office like Toog, he took the town by force and much ofthe blood spilt that day was Clan vs Clan.

The rest of what you say is no doubt correct, I just wanted to say that if you want to see democracy in action, come to Newland City.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Thats the point really. It's likely as close as we're going to come to one.

Less so now, but here's to hoping, right?

So many dreams and hopes lie broken on the wheel of time. I have come to accept that this generation is beyond changing. Perhaps our children's children will be ready to put aside our individual fiefdoms and loyalties for the greater good. I wish it. But I do not see it happening. Teach our children well our failings that they might not repeat them.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

perhaps we should form a think-tank just some of the "newer" and "older" generations that can give valuable feed for the CoT
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.