Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we have a war?

Can we have a war?

We are in declared war with the clanners... arent we? In wars we have battles, dont we? Is this another Cold War? Camelot and MMD.... not a battle, a fight. whats the difference? Battles end, dont they? Camelot is fighting 24/7. No one wins. maybe every 18 hours someone does, but its not all the clanenrs or al lthe omnis, its 6. I say one day drop say OE to 25% or drop Tir to 25% and send all the omnis and clanners in and try to take the city. Good idea? hell no, funcom. of course, its not what the players want. im just a queer that signed up and payed 150$ to type on the message boards.
    AsclepIIus - Evil Doc
    AsclepIIIus - PvP Twink

TSO Link Please click on it and make my friend happy

Just in case you didn't read the timeline ... No, there is no declared war between Omni and Clan. The last civil war ended a long time ago.

War? Oh, no. This isn't 'Star Wars' y'know. It's Anarchy Online. See, rather than actually fighting a war, we just kinda... muddle around, fight a bit, argue, ***** and moan and sometimes--yes, sometimes--we do stuff! ; it's very chaotic, but no wars.

I'd much rather have a war that's justified by the storyline than war for the sake of it. As Bio pointed out, we're not "at war" right now.

You seem to think you speak for the majority. I'll make no such claim. For every one of you who wants a PvP bloodbath, there are those of us who want a storyline and justfication for killing others.
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

You're damn straight I want a war--this isn't ****ing peace, land and bread online!

Nothing would please me more than seeing row after row of Omni soldiers piling into trenches, shooting at incoming Clanners. Meanwhile, I would go from trench to trench, selling t-shirts and offering my law services to the soldiers who want to sue about poor trench conditions and cold coffee.

Angry

Bullsh*t!

Watch this...

"By the power vested in me, and by those I represent in Omni-AF Omni-Pol and Omni-Admin, I hereby declare war on the clans! Take no prisoners!"

War is on.

If they want to argue that it ISN'T then I want my last 7 months subscription back on the grounds of saying "Players control the story" is false advertising.

Omni's military has declared war on the clans.
    Omni's policing force have declared war on the clans.
    ALL the clans are at war with us wishing they could rip our guts out.
    Virtually everybody is in on it, and if you tell me now that there isn't any war just because they're tieing our hands then piss on this and piss on you.
    pres. Ted Shakkles Ganes
    -=Omni-AF=-

Yeah, but those three guilds just hijacked the names of Omni-Tek departments. Who gives a crap what those guilds might say except the people in those guild?

If I name my character Phillip Ross does that mean I get to play him?

*plays the violin sadly for Bio*
    pres. Ted Shakkles Ganes
    -=Omni-AF=-

*plays the violin slowly for a powerless 'President' of the 'Armed Forces' who has no ability to make 'war' until FunCom sez so.

Poor bloodthirsty li'l baby. How's about you go hop in your car and try to run over some squirrels. There. That make you feel more in control?

Oh, don't be such a limp rag Bio-dude!

Sure we can't actually conquer anything, but that won't stop us from declaring war!

If you're still feeling down, grab some jackboots and strut around--I'm sure everyone will know that you're a serious conqeror then!

a dept can declear war if they want too, but then its their own mess. They cant repersent any official dept at all. No matter if they are afflicted or not.

Only Ross and Ivan got that kind of power.

So, go kill a sand flea

Not being a limp rag. If your boss says go to war, then go. That's all I'm saying. If a bunch of IBM security guards such as yourselves decide to head to Iraq with bazookas, is the U.S. 'at war'?

Nope, it's up to Congress and the other legislative bodies to decide that.

Oh, of course IBM-Employee Protection might then be 'at war' with Iraq. But, as stated, that's their own mess to deal with.

While it is true that we are not officially at war. We at Omni-Tek suffer constant attacks from, what I hope is, radical clan members. Since the Council of Truth cannot, or will not stop these fractious factions. We have had no choice but to not only allow, but condone, certain groups within official departments to carry out defensive strikes against these radical elements. We are hoping that a swift justice can be met out to these terrorists, and that once again, true peace will come to Rubi-Ka.

Declarations of war?

Y'know, all wars I've ever seen don't usually start with some guy stepping forward, pointing at some other guy and saying 'we are now at war.' Not, at least, until both sides have been fighting for quite some time.

If this is going to be run like any of the other millions of wars throughout the history of mankind, then we can expect to see neither side actually declaring war until the war is well underway.

Neither OT nor the Clans will state loudly that they're at war for some time. History may well decide to call the period we're in now 'the beginning of the war' but no-one is going to cry war even if they're merrily sending troops against the other. As soon as you do so, the rules change, the ICC peacekeepers get uppity and you lose any legal or jurisdictional rights you might have - at that point it is purely down to force.

What both parties would prefer to see is their rights being maintained so they can cry foul to the galactic community *while* taking territory from the other. The whole deal with Omni-Pol (the official ones) stating that these criminals are going to be arrested and claiming right to 'police' clan cities is just such example. Of course the CoT are going to say no, but all this posturing isn't for the CoT - it's for the ICC's benefit.

I think you'll find that both sides are practically at war. If you're looking for a good excuse to go serious raiding of enemy outposts, then work something up in the context of the situation. I'm sure Omni-Tek would love to send an armed investigative team into Athen to declare martial law while the citizens would love nothing more than to kick the a$$es of any OT folk who tried.

The situation at the moment bears striking resemblance to Northern Ireland about 20 years ago, or that in Vietnam just before the start of the Vietnam war. And if those historical (and rather horrible) events are anything to go by, then the war we end up with is going to have more in common with the Vietnam war than, say WWII.

Full-blown war can't be far away, and in the meantime we get to play 'war without actually being at war' - cold war if you like, if cold wars involve moving troops into each others cities for 'peacekeeping' or 'protection of the law'.
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita

Well given the Tir accord is now null and void (due to the complete lack of council anymore) you may well just get your war......
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Yes, true. But, it still needs to be declared in some fashion.

Who would the war be between now? Omni-Tek is a member of the ICC. Will they drop out and start attacking the Peacekeepers?

Kinda like the little Bush boy who can't get his way with the United Nations. Is he gonna drop out of the U.N. and start shooting his guns at whoever annoys him the most?

Are they going to march on Tir and 'take it back'? What would be the purpose of that? Do they need more apartment space or something?

Omni-Tek has no reason to become beligerant. On the other hand, there are some radical clans. Some are even declared terrorists. I can see them waging all out attacks on O-T interests if they no longer have pressure from the CoT to 'play nice'.

But, a large contingent of Clans are proponents of peace and negotiation. Will O-T march into their headquarters and kill them for some reason.

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Are they going to march on Tir and 'take it back'? What would be the purpose of that? Do they need more apartment space or something?
    Aren't you paying attention? It would make Shakkles happy! I mean, he paid Funcom like 90 bucks or something. He deserves to ditch the story and crash Tir repeatedly with lag while all the other paying customers are just trying to do mission and socialize.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

I agree with Shakkles

OOC: He is correct that we should, as paying customers, have the power to control our destinies, so I think the declaration of war is valid.

IC: Best watch you back you never know who has a knife close to it.... (same goes for all you omni soldiers and warmongers out there. Is that barman "just good old Sam-the Barman".... or was that powder he just slipped into your drink?)
    "From the bowels of their cities. We will rise and they will flee from our rage, like a coward who faces his grown bully toy".

Sewerlord - Leader of Sewer Rats [Atlantean]

Cazron - Sewer Rats Surface Clan Head [Atlantean]

Araseth - Reincarnation of Desposed Shadow Rangers Leader on Rimor [Atlantean]

Last time I checked, one person can't declare a war. As paying customers, we have the right to not listen to some shmoe who decides he's in control.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Talking

Exactly how many ants does it take to wound a mammoth?
    pres. Ted Shakkles Ganes
    -=Omni-AF=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast