Thread: Omni-Tek Protects

Omni-Tek Protects

NOTE: This story doesn't happen on RK. It probably doesn't fit in with FC's ideas about how their game setting runs. But I tried. And while this is an origin story about my toon, it's a story about my character as opposed to one of those "omfg im so awesum" things that crop up here.

This is the beginning of a story that eventually gets to RK, though. Hope you like it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They kept pushing on, clambering over the smoldering wrecks of command juggernauts and downed Wraiths. The interdiction circle kept pulling tighter in an effort to keep it from completely collapsing as the clanners pressed the attack, fighters on both sides cut down by gunfire in about even numbers.

Although to Captain Jared Deladier's dismay, there were a damn sight more clansmen than there were Omnis. His company had been in continuous combat for days, and casualties in the leadership and ranks had reduced his original two hundred troops to less than a fourth of that number. He tried to keep as much as the original structure as he could, though, which meant he had squad leaders in charge of most “platoons” and a fair number of fire team leaders in charge of squads.

What he was mainly running low on was sergeants and officers, who, due to budgetary constraints of Omni-TW, were the only ones wearing the nanodecks prevalent in the forces of Rubi-Ka. And since the division of SOL Banking funding the clanners on Torhen's World were not under any such budgetary constraints, that meant most of the firepower being hurled at the onrushing clanners was being stopped by nannite-induced reflect shields and attack blockers.

“All hands, all hands, close interdiction circle and board shuttles once they make touch down,” came the call over Deladier's, and the rest of the company's, radio. Deladier looked beyond his own small piece of the action to an outlying position trying to hold it's own. There were several such positions scattered around, but only one was manned by troops from his company. As had been explained to him, the interdiction circle was supposed to form up around shuttles bringing fresh troops, at which point they'd mount sorties to bring back the soldiers in stranded positions.

Instead they had gotten the call to pile into the ships and leave.

Deladier looked to his left, where a youth with a torn stomach tried to hold his guts in, and to his right where another kid way too young to be doing this had a white-knuckle grip on a gyro gun. At least he assumed it was a white-knuckle grip; you couldn't tell anything like that through the black full-body Omni Armed Forces uniforms.

"Omni-Tek protects," Deladier mumbled through gritted teeth.

He decided there would be no more waste.

Sergeant Katerina Berinda clutched her BO-18 rifle tightly, firing burst after burst from the hip on account of the distance between her and her target. She wasn't really a sergeant; she had been a corporal two days prior and promoted when the real sergeant died. Nevertheless, she was responsible for the lives of six other people.

There were three of them left.

The enemy was amongst them, a hulking brute she had at first confused for an atrox until she realized the proportions were all wrong and they were facing an immense solitus.

An immense solitus equipped with a nanodeck running all manner of attack blockers and reflect shields, and hopped up on so many stimulants that what little firepower did get through to him that wasn't stopped by his armor was ineffectual.

He was equipped with orbital fabrication armor and two immense, complicated clubs, the weapons rising and falling with a metallic clunk as a counterweight moved along the shaft.

The clanner simply bludgeoned each of them to death in turn, bellowing that he used to love Omni-Tek until they killed his family. Berinda and the soldiers he wasn't smacking around simply stood there and fired, no other course of action available to them. She wasn't very aware of herself; tears might have been rolling down her cheeks, or it could have been sweat. The whole world consisted of the rifle in her hands and the gigantic man she was shooting at. She did know for certain that the seventeen year old private at the clanner's feet was crying as he had the life beaten out of him, though.

"Hey *******," the words blasted tinny and crackling from a loud speaker. Berinda turned her head to see the source, a speaker attached to a Wraith jetbike. The rider wore the insignia of a captain, and she almost dropped her gun at the realization Deladier had come for them despite the orders to close the circle and leave.

The clanner looked and up growled at the speeding vehicle, it's engines emitting a whine as Deladier engaged the automatic cannons. Three booms erupted from the craft; the first shot took the clanner in the left shoulder, the heavy caliber anti-armor round punching through the nannite shields. It exploded out the back of the clanner in a spray of blood and bone as the second round slammed into his chest and the third turned his skull into a red mist.

The three soldiers left standing stared in shock before Berinda regained sense enough to give orders. Deladier set the bike down in their fighting position, a decently sized blast crater.

"Ibanez, help me drape Blakely over the back," she said, moving forward to help the soldier the clanner had been killing. Private Miguel Ibanez moved to help her as Volhoff ran up to the Wraith and hung off of it.

As the Wraith lifted free of the crater, Berinda fired off one last spiteful burst in the general direction of the enemy. Shots buffeted them, tearing off pieces of the vehicle they hoped were mostly cosmetic. They were trailing smoke and lilting to one side as Deladier slammed the bike down to a rough, sloppy landing next to the last few stragglers troops to board the shuttle.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

And they lived happily ever after?

"And you did what you did why, captain?" Director Drebben, manager of the Torhen's World campaign, asked.

"My soldiers were at risk. I wasn't going to throw their lives away," Deladier responded.

"You disobeyed the order to close the circle and board transports. Instead you left the circle," Drebben said matter-of-factly. It would normally not be his job to perform an inquiry into the actions of a captain given his rank within the expedition, but most of the people who would normally perform that job had died in the fighting and this was a special case.

"And my superiors failed to deliver reinforcements as promised," Deladier said icily.

"I'll remind you to watch your tongue in the presence of the director," one of Drebben's assistants said. Deladier sneered and shot him a murderous glare.

"I will say what I damn well please. This excursion has been a fiasco from the start! We've thrown away life after life, and to what end? I'm sick of it. That's why I rescued those kids.

"You don't spend much time with the troops. If you did, you'd recognize what extraordinary potential is snuffed out every time one of them gets killed."

"There is no doubt you care about your men, captain," Drebben said, clearing his throat, "but the Corporation teaches us no one man is greater than the whole. If five soldiers die so that we may save dozens, so be it; to do otherwise would hurt Omni-Tek and it's bottom line."

"If you're so attached to the bottom line," Deladier began in a dry, slow voice, "why don't you die for it, Mister Director?"

An uncomfortable silence followed, which Drebben broke by clearing his throat.

"You're a good soldier, captain. And even though you broke orders, you did so with bravery and panache. But it seems somewhere along the line you've lost sight of who we are and what we do, or perhaps you never had it drilled into you properly.

"Our destination is Rubi-Ka. Among other things, it is the nearest planet with a Reform division, and I think a visit with them will do you good.

"Guards, take the captain to the brig."

Ibanez sat at workstation in an unused office, his feet up on the desk as he hand-rolled a cigarette Berinda was fairly certain contained a substance other than tobacco.

"When's the next drop?" she asked conversationally, looking out of one of the ship's ports.

"Ain't gonna be no drop, Kitty," Ibanez responded, his thick accent still not placeable to her after a year of knowing him.

"We going on R&R?" she asked, bright eyed. Ibanez always seemed to know what was happening even though it was a mystery to her and others how.

"If you wanna call it that. Whole expedition's packing up their toys and heading to Rubi-Ka. They aren't using the word retreat, but sticking the whole operation onto ships and leaving sure feels like one."

Berinda shuddered.

"What about the soldiers left behind on the ground?"

"Well, chica, at this point I'd imagination they dead," Ibanez said, taking a huge pull off his joint. He exhaled the smoke with only a small cough escaping his lips.

She was about to respond when Volhoff burst into the room. He was breathing hard and red-faced, his close-cropped brown hair glistening with sweat; Ibanez turned the joint around and offered it to him.

Volhoff waved it off and began talking.

"They're sending the captain to Reform," he blurted. Ibanez turned his head and spat on the floor.

"Talk sense, dude."

"I already said it," Volhoff said. "Deladier's going to Reform because he broke orders when he rescued us."

"Well... Reform's not that bad. He'll back with us in no time," Berinda said. Volhoff and Ibanez looked at her.

"Chica, you dense," Ibanez said. "You know anyone that's gone to Reform?"

"I've... I've seen the grid feeds about it..."

Ibanez gave a bark of derisive laughter.

"Ain't no one the same person they were after they come back from Reform," Ibanez said. "They remember what the Company wants them to remember and forget what the Company wants them to forget. They even come back with ideas and personalities they never had."

"I... they would have said that in the grid feeds..."

"Kitty, we been in the trenches the past year and all Omni-Tek keeps doing is keeping us in the dark and feeding us **** like we mushrooms. If after everything you've seen you still have faith in this system, you ain't as smart as I thought you were."

Berinda stood, massaging her temples as she watched Ibanez's joint languishing in the ashtray he had fashioned out of a used field ration carton. Then she looked up at him.

"How do we save him?" she asked.

"Not rightly sure, Kitty," Ibanez said, a smirk on his face as he glanced over at Volhoff. "But us and a few others should come up with something."

((It's very good. Only thing about it is the the Clans are only supposed to exist on Rubi-Ka, at least for now. Other than that, I like it so far.))
    Cpt. Darius "Gustavis" Caesar,
    Omni-Pol Bureau of Investigation

Interview with Rubi-Ka Times at AO-Universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavis View Post
    ((It's very good. Only thing about it is the the Clans are only supposed to exist on Rubi-Ka, at least for now. Other than that, I like it so far.))
    ((I think the notion that, with all the worlds OT is after or on, that there aren't people in open rebellion against them other than on RK is absurd.))
    Last edited by Berinda; Dec 19th, 2007 at 20:58:01.

WTB more cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    ((I think the notion that, with all the worlds OT is after or on, that there aren't people in open rebellion against them other than on RK is absurd.))
    (( Haven't read the whole story yet, but it seems good. I think you both are right. "The Clans" only exist on Rubi-Ka. Other Rebels would exist, but would not get the same attention as The Clans because of Rubi-Ka's importance. In this case it's mostly splitting hairs over terminology, but I would lean away from using 'the clans' as it may be confusing to people reading the story.

Berinda, Ask and I can delete this post so you can keep the story condensed ))
    Last edited by Trousers; Dec 19th, 2007 at 23:57:35.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Berinda, Ask and I can delete this post so you can keep the story condensed ))
    ((that's cool. Plan on each chapter in a different thread and that was the end of chapter 1 ))

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    ((No, of course there's rebellion elsewhere. The Clans themselves, though, only exist on Rubi-Ka, like Trousers said. Either way, I like your story.))
    Cpt. Darius "Gustavis" Caesar,
    Omni-Pol Bureau of Investigation

Interview with Rubi-Ka Times at AO-Universe!

((Enjoying this, cant wait to read the next chapter, keep it up!))
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

((wtb more plx ))
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.