Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Letter From The Game Director 30 November 2007

I agree with Mekh, when someone is a leet, or wolf you 'know' you cant see what his gear is, while social tabs offer a more deceptive option where a play cannot know if what he sees you wearing is really whats equiped.
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ the Fixer
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ Hit me once, Shame on you.
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ Hit me twice, Shame on me.
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQHit me thrice, aww crud *meep*
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ
    QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Qwayke

Sounds great!

Seems like, soon I'll have to return back to AO after a few years break.

All this, and there are STILL people somehow CONVINCED sil's not doing anything and that he has no idea about the game!

Love director letters like this, now to get those smacktards to actually bother reading it before they go onto their next journey in the back seat of the waaahhmbulance.
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Healyhatman View Post
    All this, and there are STILL people somehow CONVINCED sil's not doing anything and that he has no idea about the game!

Love director letters like this, now to get those smacktards to actually bother reading it before they go onto their next journey in the back seat of the waaahhmbulance.
    If its not a stunt to get us to keep paying until aoc is out (at which point no1 in FC will care about ao) and if its not very poorly implemented, then its the best news i ve heard about this game in a very looong time and sil is pointing what few resources he has in the right direction.
    Last edited by psyxor; Dec 3rd, 2007 at 16:26:32.

Sil, your the best, period.

I havnt seen AO growing so much since i first started playing just after SL came out.

Keep it up and never stop!
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

new enginie? welcome 300 fps <3

Quote Originally Posted by psyxor View Post
    If its not a stunt to get us to keep paying until aoc is out (at which point no1 in FC will care about ao) and if its not very poorly implemented, then its the best news i ve heard about this game in a very looong time and sil is pointing what few resources he has in the right direction.
    Why is it so hard for ppl to believe in AO?
    Why do some ppl think that AO means nothing to FC?

Just coz AO is old and new games is coming out, dosnt it mean that AO will be taken down or even losing its devs.
    If AO ever goes down, its going to be the players who'll grow old and unable to operate a keyboard..

... Please stop being that negative about something that possitive

Hmmz.. Hawt stuff!
    Good job and keep the heat up!
    Last edited by Luckyspawn; Dec 3rd, 2007 at 18:05:44.
    Pride of Rubi-Ka 1 ™
    Member of Punk

Can I get a what what!?

YAY for social mode being added!

All opposing, there were some good suggestions in the social mode thread in game suggestions as to how to keep it pvp friendly. One suggestion was to change the color of your name (or somehow flag a person as being in social mode) so that people dueling can tell when a person is gallivanting around in fake gear.

thread is here:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=504763

Quote Originally Posted by Pharamond View Post
    ...The tab also does have special rules regarding combat to ensure it can’t be abused to trick people in PVP, but we will go into more details on that closer to release of the update.
    FC has obviously taken pvp into consideration here. We'll have to wait for the official 17.8 release notes to see how it all works for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonalethian View Post
    Which was the reason to ask why Community Manager posted a Letter form the Game Director

Very nice news anyway ):
    I'm in charge of the forums and the website since Sil has started running the game. While he does make an appearance now and then (as you may have noticed), when he has a lot to do, he now has the luxury of waving his hand at me and saying "MAKE IT SO!"

he now has the luxury of waving his hand at me and saying "MAKE IT SO!"
    Is he starting to thin on top too?
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Instead of forcing people to "turn off social" before fighting, just incorporate something like WoW's "inspect" function.

Maybe instead of showing everything about the item, "inspect" would instead show you how the player would look without social tab items in a small window. That would be the same as what you can do today.

Might even have it show the player without morphs. But if this is the case this needs to happen in a separate display so that you aren't negating the game value of the morphs.

Not sure if this should work while engaged in combat or at any time. If its in a separate display, I see no reason not to allow it pretty much at any time.

The idea being to retain the current pvp mechanism of seeing what they're wearing without making the social tab interfere in any way with play. If social tab creates additional layers to the steps needed to engage in the game, then it ends up being disregarded by a large portion of players.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Just make it so the persons name is a diff color when in Social mode, no need to do any of that other stuff. Maybe just make the Brackets of their name Blue or something.

Then if people fight like that you can tell their using the social tab, just as anyone could be using a leet morph or something like that.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

I'm in charge of the forums and the website since Sil has started running the game. While he does make an appearance now and then (as you may have noticed), when he has a lot to do, he now has the luxury of waving his hand at me and saying "MAKE IT SO!"
    so he's like Picard and your #1? oh no star trek reference! well if someone didn't notice it in this game on these forums I would seriously be confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

iThere will be options that allow you to tell the game client whether to render your equipment tab, your social tab, or a combination of the two (in effect having the social tab ‘overlay’ on top of your existing armor).
    Hoping for a small clarification on this part, does that mean that if i have an (ugly-ass) OFAB special edition doc helm on my normal tab and a pair of Sunglasses on my social, and select the 'overlay' option will the sunglasses totally overwrite the helmet or will both textures be rendered, one atop the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    Hoping for a small clarification on this part, does that mean that if i have an (ugly-ass) OFAB special edition doc helm on my normal tab and a pair of Sunglasses on my social, and select the 'overlay' option will the sunglasses totally overwrite the helmet or will both textures be rendered, one atop the other?
    The social tab will overwrite the main equip tab when that option is enabled so only the item in your social tab will be displayed.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    The social tab will overwrite the main equip tab when that option is enabled so only the item in your social tab will be displayed.
    Awesome! thx Sil for the fast response.

Guess i have no excuse not to farm that helm now...

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    How about this one sil..... I have an ofab helm on, and sunglasses in social.... But ONLY sunglasses, will using the overlay to overwrite the ofab helm also mean that since the other social slots are empty, it will show my topon wearing nothing but sunglasses? Or is a visual slot only overwritten when there's an item in that slot under social?
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

one question about this sil.

does the social tab apply to weapons? meaning you can drop a weapon in there and have that mesh rendered, while you are using your normal weapon underneath?
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Healyhatman View Post
    How about this one sil..... I have an ofab helm on, and sunglasses in social.... But ONLY sunglasses, will using the overlay to overwrite the ofab helm also mean that since the other social slots are empty, it will show my topon wearing nothing but sunglasses? Or is a visual slot only overwritten when there's an item in that slot under social?
    if you're only wearing sunglasses, it'll render you nekkid, and cause an aoe blind effect to anyone within 40 meters.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanx View Post
    one question about this sil.

does the social tab apply to weapons? meaning you can drop a weapon in there and have that mesh rendered, while you are using your normal weapon underneath?
    Yes and no, you can equip a weapon in the social tab, but doing so places you in a non combat mode. There are some limitations here we have to work with, but at the very least it allows people to equip the food / drink or social items for parties if they don't want to show their weapon.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast