Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Letter From The Game Director 30 November 2007

uber! pretty ****in nice job FC!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharamond View Post
    17.8 will contain a new social clothing mode for players. A new tab has been added to your equip window that allows you to equip any item purely for the visual effect (i.e. you wont get any stat bonuses from them, but will get to use the visual looks). There will be options that allow you to tell the game client whether to render your equipment tab, your social tab, or a combination of the two (in effect having the social tab ‘overlay’ on top of your existing armor). This is a feature we have wanted to do for some time now, and are delighted to finally be able to bring to life! I don’t think the parties on Rubi-Ka will ever be the same! The tab also does have special rules regarding combat to ensure it can’t be abused to trick people in PVP, but we will go into more details on that closer to release of the update.
    One question I got about this. Lets say i got some armor that i want to have on visually, but is underpowered than what i have equipped. Due to the special rules, does that mean i can't wear it when PvPing?
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Excellent stuff here. I have been looking forward to 17.7 and it sounds like 17.8 is going to outshine it completely! Praise goes out to everyone at Funcom for keeping the game alive and fresh. I can't wait to see and experience the new content. I'm very excited already and we only have a small preview of what is to come. Keep it up guys, you're doing a great job!
    Where was it when I first heard that sweet sound of humility?
    It came to my ears in the god damn loveliest melody
    How grateful I was then to be part of the mystery
    To love and to be loved
    Let's just hope that is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Issica View Post
    Oh. My. God.
    QFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TWADER - Rimor Clanner - 220/31/70 - Trox Trader of Quetzalcoatl
    ATLANTEAN SERVER
    The Firm
    Godt Saa... Eller - STEEL!
    House Maadiah
    RIMOR SERVER
    The Syndicate
    Quetzlcoat

Quote Originally Posted by ICCKoruption View Post
    If you go to old athens, or omni entertainment be sure to look for the Rubi-ka museum of natural history. you will find numerous Traders that have been immaculately restored to their original states, some archeological digs were intentionally based around reclaim terminals.
    if you do find a trader still in circulation, be sure to check the expiry date, they are usually marked :best before june 2001.

Just have to be aware that current clothing articles may have to be segregated from armor by flags (some already is) and no armor allowed on the social clothing tab. Otherwise you get ppl going around trying to farm titles by claiming they are wearing junk armor when they really have CSS underneath. Judging from the comments in the letter, though, FC is well aware of this issue and such a scenario will not be possible when the feature arrives.

The tab also does have special rules regarding combat to ensure it can’t be abused to trick people in PVP, but we will go into more details on that closer to release of the update.
    I think they have that covered, might not be a "no armor in the social tab" but maybe a "starting attack failed" result if someone tries to initiate combat? Anyhow I'm confident they will have something to prevent your fear.

but ZOMFG "Social Mode"!! finally 6 years but hot dang, they figured it out!!!!!!!
    (this even after a reply to a social mode post stating it was near impossible with the way things were already. Mucho <3 to you Guys in the Dev. room.)
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

holy
    since 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    FYI: Cola burns when it comes out your nose...I now know this because of you.

This has to be the most exciting news I've heard about AO since the engine upgrade was announced.

Wooty!
    General of Umojan Protectorate - Technical Department
    General of Haven - Technical Department
    Norbal, 220/19 MP - "Slightly" off-kilter NM - equip
    Norbby, 220/20 Keeper - stabbing anything that moves

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    And all MPs should be forced to speak like that Architect guy from the Matrix when RP'ing....
    I bump this daily, drop by and say hi?

Nice I look forward to the improvements

As a side note, I would also spend a significant amount of effort, money, time recruiting new/old players to the game. A great game without players is no fun. The population on RK is down...ALOT and you are gonna have to entice people to come back for this new content.
    Linkee 220/21 Omni, Atrox Fixer

The first to not be first at anything....

Problem is every time they try to make any kind of big changes how many other things go haywire.

Awesome. Hope you can introduce it not FC-way ^^

Go ahead, so sweet. Really!
    :: Izolenta :: Kynopoc :: Dreamech :: Dreamchaser :: Batmobile ::

President of Molotoff Cocktail

Playing since 2002/06/26

Now, I can guess one of the next questions! Will there be rewards beyond the ranks themselves? In the short term ...
    While this section does sound very exciting, I'd like to stress (In case it hasn't been brought up yet to get it out as early as possible), that if you really want this new system to be embraced by the community, you need to spend some time making sure the system is abusable via farming the same person or same group of people all day. This is ESPECIALLY true if rewards are to be offered for the ranks you can acquire. My apologizes for using the 'W' word here, but in WoW they offer dimminished returns on title gain for killing the same person within a short period of time. Now while I do realize that because of the population of WoW versus AO that this system couldn't be simply Copy->Pasted onto this game, it would be nice to see some sort of similar idea implemented to prevent 3 people from attaining the best of the best in 2 hours (Or however long it would take to group farm some title). If you've already thought of this, then wonderful; if not, I'd appreciate it if you'd look into this.

So that’s the lowdown on 17.8… a true raid interface for the game...
    Very exciting to see something the community has asked for repeatedly like this be implemented. Every time we see something like this, we take Famine's signature more to heart (That you all really DO *read* feedback). I'm curious as to how adaptable this will be to different sizes of raid forces from 2 teams on up to 100+ players doing APF42, but I would assume we won't know more about it until it gets a bit more testing with the engine

We hope to be able to start showing you some footage from the new engine very shortly...
    Very, very exciting. Can't wait to have a glimpse of how this upgrade will improve the game

Quote Originally Posted by Linkee View Post
    Nice I look forward to the improvements

As a side note, I would also spend a significant amount of effort, money, time recruiting new/old players to the game. A great game without players is no fun. The population on RK is down...ALOT and you are gonna have to entice people to come back for this new content.
    Possible free month incoming?
    歯ブラシ.........
    Chaotic Order *AP*.....
    Durtycalm - 060|05|14 - Crat .| Doctor - 56|16|220 - Durtyheals....
    Gaara - 110|11|28 - Meta .| Keeper - 58|20|220 - Tsuyoi....
    Durtysnipe - 076|08|21 - Agent |. Fixer - 60|18|213 - Durtymeep......

Why did Phar post this and not Sil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Dirty Underpants of Bungerman
    Runspeed: - 1989
    Sense: -314
    Intelligence: -50

These befouled undergarments are painfully confining having previously belonged to a detail-oriented individual with much smaller genitals. Walking is difficult...running is impossible. Stains of a dubious nature adorn both the front and back of these "tighty-whities". Noxious fumes make your eyes burn and your nose run while wearing these. One can only imagine what you are doing wearing them.

I think that the simple Oh. My. God. sums it up
    After ToTW
    A Guide To ToTW

There is a lot of grey beween usefull and useless.
    Mortiigs of SL UNITE! We WILL fling poo at you!

Quote Originally Posted by bungerman View Post
    Why did Phar post this and not Sil?
    Phar is the Community Manager now, not Sil.

Sil is now the game Director.

Sil prolly made a few posts like this before even under his new title because old habits die hard.
    Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    Phar is the Community Manager now, not Sil.

Sil is now the game Director.

Sil prolly made a few posts like this before even under his new title because old habits die hard.
    Which was the reason to ask why Community Manager posted a Letter form the Game Director

Very nice news anyway ):
    Resident of Rimor
    Ranged TL7 Adventurer Jonalethian
    Pewpew TL7 Doctor Mirkka
    Nerfed TL7 Agent Steinberg
    Parked TL7 Traderskiller Jonaleth
    General of the clan Coven of Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Jonalethian View Post
    Which was the reason to ask why Community Manager posted a Letter form the Game Director

Very nice news anyway ):
    Letters aren't always delivered by their writers
    歯ブラシ.........
    Chaotic Order *AP*.....
    Durtycalm - 060|05|14 - Crat .| Doctor - 56|16|220 - Durtyheals....
    Gaara - 110|11|28 - Meta .| Keeper - 58|20|220 - Tsuyoi....
    Durtysnipe - 076|08|21 - Agent |. Fixer - 60|18|213 - Durtymeep......

Quote Originally Posted by Izolenta View Post
    Awesome. Hope you can introduce it not FC-way ^^

Go ahead, so sweet. Really!
    Well, considering
    The new nanos are intended to be something that you shouldn’t take for granted. They offer tactical options for your character if you want to make the changes necessary to use them. We know that they are very difficult if not almost impossible to cast with Notum Repulsor trained for example, that’s exactly why they are set where they are set.
    and fact that NTs can cast their new nanos in NR2 while shade need just full CoNC, CMo and arith set - I won't be over-hoping.

But... Hope dies last. Too bad souls are eternal so they live even after hope is dead.
    Kuznechik, Board member of Disciples of Omni-Tek (and few dozens of alts)
    DoOT is recruiting
    -------
    Well, as a well-known fact - I know nothing (especially about engineers).

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Just have to be aware that current clothing articles may have to be segregated from armor by flags (some already is) and no armor allowed on the social clothing tab. Otherwise you get ppl going around trying to farm titles by claiming they are wearing junk armor when they really have CSS underneath. Judging from the comments in the letter, though, FC is well aware of this issue and such a scenario will not be possible when the feature arrives.
    Hi!
    I see no reason to forbid that.

Use veteran leet and noone is able to see what you wearing atm.

Greetings
    Palux

Quote Originally Posted by Palux View Post
    Hi!
    I see no reason to forbid that.

Use veteran leet and noone is able to see what you wearing atm.

Greetings
    Palux
    It' is however easy to ask people to cancel it before a duel or whatever might be the reason, in order to check equipment.
    Leet/wolf can always be casted again if needed.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast