Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Letter From The Game Director 30 November 2007

Letter From The Game Director 30 November 2007

As 17.7 gets closer to being ready for the live dimensions I thought it was a good time to give you all another little insight into where we are at with Anarchy Online.

The coming game update includes quite a lot of stuff that we are all quite excited to see released to the live dimensions. Having spent quite some time now (well over a year in fact when I think about!) working on content with a focus on the Shadowlands it has been great to be able to look at Rubi-Ka again as we work through the new quest lines.

Getting to add some reasons to get people out an exploring the original game world is a fantastic feeling, and not just because it’s a great nostalgia trip for me! It was great seeing the designers and artists adding a little more life to some of the areas I remembered frequenting in the days around launch and sending people to some of the ‘old haunts’.

The Dust Brigade story elements are also shaping up very nicely. I think you’ll find some intriguing developments there and the team is translating the direction we have set out for the coming months into some very interesting content. It’s always quite satisfying to see the plans go from concept to testing to the game itself.

Then there are the new items and nanos, and people, as always, have already had quite a bit to say on the new items so I wanted to add a little here. When it comes to designing items we generally have to face the fact that at least as far as the feedback is required we are often in a ‘no win’ situation! The new nanos that are being introduced in 17.7 are a great example. When items are within the current budgets players have for skills on their characters then the items are seen as ‘too easy’ to equip and the game is being ‘dumbed down’, then when we make items that are intentionally at the high end of what’s possible they are ‘too hard’. In this case that difficulty is very much the intention!

The new nanos are intended to be something that you shouldn’t take for granted. They offer tactical options for your character if you want to make the changes necessary to use them. We know that they are very difficult if not almost impossible to cast with Notum Repulsor trained for example, that’s exactly why they are set where they are set. It’s a choice you have to make on an individual level for your character. The designers took a great deal of care to ensure that the math was correct and all the nanos can be cast by the relevant profession. The requirements are all possible, but there is a choice for you to make, and yes, you might even have to sacrifice something else to be able to use them.

So aside from making devilish new nano formulas what have the designers been up to? Well there are quite a few exciting things on the horizon that I think people will look forward to!

First up we have the content of the 17.8 update. The fact that 17.8 will bring with it a new team instanced high level encounter is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg! The encounter will continue the Dust Brigade storyline as players delve deeper into exactly what the group has been up to. The new encounter area is shaping up very nicely and I think players will really enjoy facing the latest danger from the Dust Brigade! 17.8 will be much more then just this though in that it will introduce one much requested new feature and a total revamp of another.

17.8 will contain a new social clothing mode for players. A new tab has been added to your equip window that allows you to equip any item purely for the visual effect (i.e. you wont get any stat bonuses from them, but will get to use the visual looks). There will be options that allow you to tell the game client whether to render your equipment tab, your social tab, or a combination of the two (in effect having the social tab ‘overlay’ on top of your existing armor). This is a feature we have wanted to do for some time now, and are delighted to finally be able to bring to life! I don’t think the parties on Rubi-Ka will ever be the same! The tab also does have special rules regarding combat to ensure it can’t be abused to trick people in PVP, but we will go into more details on that closer to release of the update.

Then, as I mentioned briefly last time, we are also going to be looking at PVP, and 17.8 will include the first stage of a total re-write of the PVP title system, and will introduce separate rankings for solo and teaming PVP as well as a true dueling system with its own ranks as well for those that prefer that style of PVP as well. We truly hope that we will be able to cater for all the PVP tastes as much as possible with these changes, and while some of the details are still be thrashed out, we will be sure to let you all know closer to the time exactly what the system entails and how it works, but we think it will be an important part giving people additional goals and incentives in PVP.

Now, I can guess one of the next questions! Will there be rewards beyond the ranks themselves? In the short term the answer is no, when we introduce the changes we won’t be adding any item rewards for reaching a given rank as we want to see how the system works on the live dimensions first, and be sure we get the chance to do a round of adjustments (as there always are some things players adapt in ways we don’t predict!) before we consider rewards. It is on the drawing board and we are definitely open to adding specific rewards for gaining these new PVP ranks, but we also want to be sure we have the progression correct first! Lastly on this one, you needn’t worry about your old ranks, when the new system goes live we plan to save your old rank and players will hopefully have the option of which of their ranks displays by their name, be it their solo rank, team rank, duel rank or their old ‘legacy’ rank.

So that’s the lowdown on 17.8…but I also wanted to mention one other aspect we are currently working on in terms of stuff that is ‘on the drawing board’ as it were. This is the stuff that isn’t a promise, but is seriously being worked with a view to being implemented with the playfield booster we have planned for next year, and that’s a true raid interface for the game. Like I said, it’s not anywhere close to certain yet, but we are planning it and seeing if we can make it work well within the engine, and the signs so far are hopeful.

All of that and I haven’t even mentioned the great Christmas content for this year, but you’ll get to see more on that very shortly, or the progress that the team are making with the render engine changes. We hope to be able to start showing you some footage from the new engine very shortly. It’s all still on course for mid to late next year (since there is a lot to test with something like this), but its already starting to come together and our current alpha builds are shaping up nicely, I think we will be able to surprise some with the update it will provide to the game.

So there is a lot of interesting new additions coming to the game, and we are looking forward to seeing you all on Rubi-ka!
    Last edited by Pharamond; Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:55:57. Reason: Adding full text for those of you reading at work

Quote Originally Posted by Pharamond View Post
    ...17.8 will contain a new social clothing mode for players...
    ...and 17.8 will include the first stage of a total re-write of the PVP title system, and will introduce separate rankings for solo and teaming PVP as well as a true dueling system with its own ranks as well for those that prefer that style of PVP as well...
    ...we are definitely open to adding specific rewards for gaining these new PVP ranks...
    ...players will hopefully have the option of which of their ranks displays by their name, be it their solo rank, team rank, duel rank or their old ‘legacy’ rank...
    ...a true raid interface for the game...
    ...We hope to be able to start showing you some footage from the new engine very shortly...
    Oh. My. God.
    Kirke Issica Rafael, chief ninjal33ter of Omlety, nano uber advy.
    Lady Gniewica, nano PVP trader.
    Seppun Rumiko Sama, nano s10 crat.
    Tradycja Konwencja Technokracja, nano firstchar NT.
    Wojownicza Kruszynka Zaglady, nano mongo4life enfo.
    Nano shade of doom still pending.

Omlety, jedyna polska organizacja na RK2 po stronie Omni, rekrutują! Zapraszamy na forum.
    ...and yeah, OmniTek protects.

Thumbs up

WOW!!!

It all sounds very, very nice and most interesting....
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

This all looks too good to be true

wow
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

See, its plans/patches like whats planned for 17.8 thats kept me playing AO for the last 6 years. Cant wait to see it all implemented. GJ, I hope

Sil... marry me and have my children.. I just need to acquire the proper anatomical parts, but never fear!

Truly truly lots of awesome stuffs seems to be coming up!
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Sil...and all of FC.... wow. You have stunned me totally with this update.

You are all awesome and my god, you deserve a standing ovation for that letter.

Thank you for being You Sil, and staying active with the community!

Kamikaze "Danibunkins" Advy
    Title Level: 7 AI Level: 19 Adventurer
    Proud General of Sentinels on Atlantean

How to have us "swallow" 17.7 and not choke over it with distant and fuzzy promises, at least for the engi community. Divide and conquer...

Despite my frequent swearing on GC and often lust to remote kick some FC employers in the nuts, due too idiotic bugs that ruin the fun.

I can with my entire heart say that I love you FunCom, and I love this game even more so!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    How to have us "swallow" 17.7 and not choke over it with distant and fuzzy promises, at least for the engi community. Divide and conquer...
    my enf in gothic lolita outfit all day long > stupid high reqs on the new mongo
    Defectorid Enf 220/25 - RK1 setup

Missdefy Doc 216/13 - RK1 setup

join us

*Praises the Gaming God for making an excellent next two patches..* One word.. :O
    Last edited by Vampirefix; Nov 30th, 2007 at 16:34:44.
    __________________________________________▓▓▓
    _________________________________________▓▒▒▒▓▓
    ____________________▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄__________▓▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ___▓▓▓▓▓____▄█████▓▓▓▓▓▓░░███████▓▒▒▒▒▓▒▓
    ____▓▒▓▒▓▓▓██▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▓
    ______▓▒▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▓
    ______█▓▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▓▓▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▓
    ____▄█▓▓█▓▓▓▒▒▒▓▒▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓
    ___█▓▓▓█▓▓█▓▓▒▓▒▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▓
    __█▓▓▓█▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░█████████████▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    __█▓▓▓█▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▒▌__▓█_____▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    _▐█▓▓█▓▓▓█▓▓████▒▒▒▒▒▒▌__▓▓█▄____▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    _▐█▓█▓▓▓▓███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌__▓▓█████▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    __█▓█▓▓██_▅▄██▄▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▐___▓▓█▄_██▓▓▄▅▅▒▒▒▓
    __█▓▓██__▅▄▄▄▌__▀▄▒▒▒▒▒▐___▓▓▓████▓▅▅▄▒▒▒█
    __█▓█_________▓▄___▀▒▒▒▒▒▐____▓▓▓▓▓▓▅▅▄▒▒▒██
    __██___________▓▓█▀█▄▒▒▒▒▒▌________▒▒▒▒▒▒█▓█▌
    _________________▓▓███▒▒▒▒▒▐____▒▒▒██▒▒██▓██▌
    ___________________▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▓▓██▓▓██▓▌
    ____________________▓▒▒▄▒▒▌▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█
    ___________________▓▒▒▒▒▒▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█▓███▓▓▓█▓▓█▌
    _____________________▓▓▓▄▀▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓██

i'm so Happy with the new social clothing mode

Now i want some Social Tatoos for my shade
    Last edited by celedia; Nov 30th, 2007 at 18:25:34.

Thumbs up

Some very nice changes to look forward to. Hopefully they don't break the balance with the new nanos of course.

Just a suggestion on pvp titles: please exclude mech/turreting from consideration as whatever you do in them has zero element of skill or game knowledge and just makes for a lot of farming potential and luck when you meet the wrong rock-paper-scissors combo.

Initially I thought that it would be a nice nerf to chain turreting, but on reflection, the overall skew it would create would just make the new title system as meaningless as the old one.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

The new nanos are intended to be something that you shouldn’t take for granted. They offer tactical options for your character if you want to make the changes necessary to use them.
    Once again I see that FC can't read players' feedback. They don't offer new tactical options.
    blah

I believe it was Simon Silverstone who once said... "woot"
    The Mockers
    SUMMON THAT AMMO BABY!!
    Join the Mockers

Before you even think about adding item rewards for PvP titles (don't care if after or before you see how it works on live), can you give some thoughts to balancing professions as well? I believe one of reasons for PvP change (team mode etc) in the first place is gross imbalance.
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

The new nanos are intended to be something that you shouldn’t take for granted. They offer tactical options for your character if you want to make the changes necessary to use them. We know that they are very difficult if not almost impossible to cast with Notum Repulsor trained for example, that’s exactly why they are set where they are set. It’s a choice you have to make on an individual level for your character. The designers took a great deal of care to ensure that the math was correct and all the nanos can be cast by the relevant profession. The requirements are all possible, but there is a choice for you to make, and yes, you might even have to sacrifice something else to be able to use them.

The new pvp system sounds interesting and I look forward to how that plays out. Yet i still question what you consider acceptable for some profs requirements on nanos. I find it odd that some profs even with a full CS set would not be able to cast some nanos. not trying to name any names, but it seems odd to have to perk ConC and get the full CS set to cast these, even with research done and high lvl symbs in. sadly, this is also not even with NR trained. don't you see that as too much sacrifce to self cast these?

I'm just not sure why the require so much out of some profs. realistically to cast these nanos one must get a trader and an MP in team to cast what they need, and then for other profs, the nanos are castable self without much effort. I'm just wondering where FC decided to drawn the line on some profs and not on others?

17.8 sounds interesting though, and i look forward to it.
    MA-Glassgoat 220/30/70 - pvm-ish//pvp-ish
    Doc- Dimedoc - 220/30/60ish
    Agent-Ipressoudie 170/19/42 - equipment
    Fixer-Blehmeh 207/30/64ish
    MP-Dougmp 118/13/?? - Work in Progress
    Enf - Cashewsftw 76/8/?? - Work in Progess
    MA - Gravyma 60/6/14 - equipment
    Agent-Portly 30/3 - equipment
    General of Ring of Destruction

Unity's MA Skill Calculator

awesome, awesome series of updates. keep em coming! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Ranged professions enjoy a significant advantage everywhere and more so against pet professions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Note: Calling me an "incompetant ass-monkey", while admitedly is extremely amusing, does nothing to quantify what exactly, if anything, you would like to see changed in your/someone else's nanos.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast