Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OOC: i tried rp today

I've RP'd a lot in MMOs, and I can honestly say that out of all of the MMORPGs I've seen, AO simply has the most potential/best RPing community. The RPers are actually involved in the storyline actively and changing the world by how they interact with the LTCs. There's a lot going on, and there's a lot of "flavor" in the game and storyline inserted in various ways (some subtle, such as text on weapons and such).

There's a lot of room for creativity and flexibility offered in a futuristic RPG, I'm just continually surprised by the quality of RP in AO.

Having said that... you have to actually try. No offense to the Original Poster, but it doesn't seem like he really did.

If you're new to roleplay, you should join a org that is doing alot of it. Also meeting arks are actually a great way to learn rp as they usually have a plan for what they are doing there and you just have to follow.

But before you start with roleplay you should find out who that toon you are roleplaying with really are... Makes it easier if you are confronted with questions etc. Also try to engage in rp with people from roleplay orgs and not just random people
    Rajib - 220 Shotgun Doctor | Businessraj - 220 Shotgun Trader | Nanquan 210+ MA | Blasi - 209 ME Keeper | Rajliana - 200 bow MA ++++++

WTB Red and blue teams in BS. Thanks Michi!

For a regular player finding RP can be pretty hard.
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

Target a CT and hit Q.

Apparently, thats what passes for RP, in some people's worlds. /Shrug.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Don't be stealin' my /shrug Hoss, that's just plain mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranide View Post
    For a regular player finding RP can be pretty hard.
    I'd say making the first step is pretty hard.

There are spots frequented by role players you can hang out at. You could contact someone from one of the RP orgs (a list of them is stickied at the top of Rimor Buzz.) You can also join a RP bot, like Nrpb, listen for a while and join in when you feel confident to do so.

You don't need to be in RP org to role play. It is true though that you need to find other role players. Isn't it like with everything in this game though? We just don't have the /lft feature
    Anamelle Marecki, adventurer, leader of Lumen Orien
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Alossa Laurence, beaurocrat, director of Newland News
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Daeranne Smith, engineer, Last Ditch Academy scientist
    Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Anamelle View Post
    You can also join a RP bot, like Nrpb, listen for a while and join in when you feel confident to do so.
    Or send one of us a tell who posts here in the Buzz Forums or in the Editor News threads, or join AARP (the OOC RP Bot) and feel free to fire some questions at us. Most of us don't bite.

*looks at Nulion*
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Well...I usually follow these simple steps when moving to a new universe/server/game/etc... (and from my very recent personnal experience as a returning player on Rimor, it works quite well):

1\ Browse official forums to find the names of:
    a. Roleplaying organisation (So as their tag works as a /RP one for you, until 17.9)
    b. The leaders of these orgs
    c. Interesting/Involved peoples (The ones you see posting on these boards in exemple)
    d. RP Channels and usual meeting places

2\ Imagine a background for your character (even better if you write things down so as to avoid telling peoples different versions of the same things about your character), the way he or she sees the world and other people, what are his or her goals, motivations...a global idea to set the basis for your interactions with other characters.

3\ When you feel you're ready enough, then go ahead ! Start conversations in RP channels, talk to other characters (the ones you noticed from step 1 should be a good start (and provide ooc advices as well))

4\ Look for roleplay opportunities, and join if you can, don't wait for them to come to you.

5\ Repeat Step 4

6\ Try to make your character recognizable, should it be with special expressions, the way he express himself (Who told Nulion he he), or even his or her clothes...try to have something different, something that belongs to him/her.

Well well, that's all for now...I hope this helps a bit !

PS: sorry for my approximative english, I'm french
    Stephan "Seyn" Grey - Exosphere bandleader - Heavy Metal rules !
    Stephen "Sanrek" Reyv - Freedom Fighter - Le Cercle Obscur
    Jarazak "Sanglant" Heyns - Old Atrox miner (retired)
    Mike "Devoreur" Heyns - Businessman (retired)

Thumbs up

That was very well written, Sen.
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Stabby View Post
    today i stumbled upon a rp event between some opi chick and some soli disco dude. when they were done discussing something about somebodys supplys i decided i wanna rp with the opi chick so i followed her around and called her name over and over till she turned around and started talking, after a 10 minute conversation i had used up all my imagination about ufos and killer chicken while she just kept calling me a stupid notum miner, is this whats rp about? being lame and sterotypical about everything im very dissapointed, u made me end my life /wrist
    I wouldn't have taken you seriously myself. Killer chickens and UFO's and I... well Ok, UFOs I'll accept (we do have alien inviasion after all) however you admit to annoying the hell out of her until she turned around. Sounds to me she was trying to be a good sport. I don't even think this post was supposed to be taken seriously, but being the nice RPers that we are, you once again have us. People want to RP about topics that are fun to them, RPers aren't just NPC's for you to screw with. You in essence created your own problem and perhaps you don't understand what RP is, but still, you follow anyone around just shouting their name, you're going to tick them off.

...I woulda called you alot more then a stupid notum miner. You gotta be a child, I just can't see adults amusing themselves like that. (though I'm sure they exist)
    Last edited by ruken; May 22nd, 2008 at 18:02:53. Reason: I spell like a drunken mule.
    - Ruken -... 18X Martial Artist
    - Khorak -.. 17X Enforcer
    - Kethis -... 17X Engineer
    - Equillian -... 16X Soldier

from my experience, you should start by looking out for public RP events, a few orgs have them, and even if you don't participate directly atleast other role players will see you there, show up enough times and you might make a few people curious, plus it would allow you to see how most role players interact, go to a few GSP parties also, i remember there was one in reets when an Omni-AF org entered looking for a fugitive [dont ask me who, it was a long time ago]. or.....you could wait till 17.9 comes out, then if they do use the /rp command you can see who is in character
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU will pick up the flag and carry it forward. This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes is up to us.

Means, Game Director (2008-2011)

i can has cheez-RP?
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

Quote Originally Posted by Zudahh View Post
    i can has cheez-RP?
    No.
    Tresa "Cylie" Burke

i can has cheez-RP?
    Never.

i can has cheez-RP?
    the current action you are attempting to preform is being done in a manner that is incorrect sir
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU will pick up the flag and carry it forward. This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes is up to us.

Means, Game Director (2008-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalezian View Post
    the current action you are attempting to preform is being done in a manner that is incorrect sir
    He means "No."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12