Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOC: i tried rp today

OOC: i tried rp today

today i stumbled upon a rp event between some opi chick and some soli disco dude. when they were done discussing something about somebodys supplys i decided i wanna rp with the opi chick so i followed her around and called her name over and over till she turned around and started talking, after a 10 minute conversation i had used up all my imagination about ufos and killer chicken while she just kept calling me a stupid notum miner, is this whats rp about? being lame and sterotypical about everything im very dissapointed, u made me end my life /wrist

Its kinda sad to see that the first people's experiences with RP tend to be bad ones.
    After 20+ years of roleplaying, I have seem some massive failures. Really awesome RP is like a book without pages. You write it as you go along. Some people's imaginations are quite strange, and everyone has fun differently... and usually based upon their own point of view.

Great roleplayers are versatile, creative, and willing to share. The best tool for RP I have learned in all my years, is to spot the fun ones to talk to, as opposed to the one who just wanna suck you in.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Stabby, I hope you'e not put off to RPing and try again.

But,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Stabby View Post
    i decided i wanna rp with the opi chick so i followed her around and called her name over and over till she turned around and started talking
    What did you expect?

Sometimes roleplaying is like joining a pickup team. You can have great fun but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Don't give up. The right team is out there. Eventually you will find it
    Anamelle Marecki, adventurer, leader of Lumen Orien
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Alossa Laurence, beaurocrat, director of Newland News
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Daeranne Smith, engineer, Last Ditch Academy scientist
    Lumen Orien

Ok here it goes, no doubt this is going to sound like a flame but still:

from what you say it sounds like it technically went fine, mostly the problems stem from the initial attempt, now I know it would be hard to get involved in it but following people around and yelling there name (before you have even technically met them) is a sure fire way to get people a bit fustrated.

and of course yelling about chickens (on rubi-ka? since when? perhaps try giant killer reets next time, i mean, theres giant killer leets so why not giant killer reets?) and UFO's (um not sure what to say about this, would really need to know what context you where saying, because if you were talking about alien spaceships there hardly unexplained, we are under invasion) isn't really going to help people roleplay with you unless there characters like that, and these days theres very few of those types of characters, mostly there serious bigots who look down upon troxes because they were designed to have low intelligence for notum mining.

I mean I'm not saying you should never RP nor am I saying they should have catered to your every fantasy, but perhaps you might have better success if you think about things a bit before hand, as you said you ran out of imagination quickly, so perhaps get a story for your character set up before jumping in, Im all for RPing on a whim and doing it as you go along but you really will be suprised what having a little structure to your character can do for your roleplay sessions.

You don't need to plan out everything that can be done as you go along, but get key things about your character sorted in your own head such as there personality and there major characterisms, this gives you a base to construct your storys and for other people to react more indepth with you other then taking the stereotypical bigot route

And sorry if this sounds like a big flame and such but from what I read it really wasn't the other persons fault this failed, perhaps you can think up something to use if you attempt to roleplay again to allow them to get more involved, and perhaps poke the RP'er OOC first explaining your kind of inexperienced, they most likely will try and help you (unless you come across one of those elitists or just someone being grumpy, but you can't really help that)

Well I have to kind of agree with Xenotric post. RP for the most part is acting. And RP in this game can get a little odd at times. Honestly I have a good idea of the opi your talking about, and odds are she was just acting in character.

Now keep in mind sometimes in RP someone may something offencive, as their character might be offencive, but its safe to say most players are trying to offend the other player, they're just acting.

Another thing to keep in mind is RPers are the most flamed people in game. Its sad to say but a lot of RPers are a little defencive when new people come up and start rping with them, or talking to them. So if you're new, send someone an OOC tell to say "hey I'm new to this" is usually a good idea.

Also like everything else in this game, if you're getting into something new it's good to read up on tutroials or ask for help. I mean if your trying to host a raid and don't know why they never work becasue your adding CRU after the cloak has been dropped. It would be a good idea to ask someone about it, or go and read something. Most RPers in game are more then willing to help other who want to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is RPers are the most flamed people in game. Its sad to say but a lot of RPers are a little defencive when new people come up and start rping with them, or talking to them. So if you're new, send someone an OOC tell to say "hey I'm new to this" is usually a good idea.
    QFT
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Lumen Orien

I now have little to do with RP online, I use e-mail and IM to bridge the distance gap but my friends and I still play some D&D3. We actually roll dice and post our results. It is strained but better than some forms of RP.

Now for the grasping the dark reaches of my mind ...

I think there is huge potential for Role Playing online and in games like Anarchy. The trouble is, the games change so little that there is little to discuss. There is no really news there are so few things of meaning.

The IRRK is an attempt to create some things but the game world is just a terrible stage. The props don't move and so many have their plots without taking into account the plots of others, they just want extras.

What is unusual about the way we play D&D is that we take turns to be immediate DM and all have player characters, we are mature enough not to cheat or favour our own characters. Additionally we are responsible for the world we play in so we play on two levels, the political and the adventurer and have different impacts.

Example, I brought in that the Elves had moved in on the humans logging a forest and wood became more scarce. I didn't see that it would have an impact on a naval war taking place between two others of the group. This pushed their prices up and one simply could not afford the ships anymore so they are now fighting a retreating land battle, which has caused hatred toward the Elves and so it impacts on the group for harboring elves and half elves.

I hope that gives you an idea of how shallow and pale I found the online RP.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

Its only really shallow and pale because theres so many RPers reluctant to actually make an in game story that works and make there own events

blab blan blah, don't take much to complain does it.
    Meh I was going to get into a large flame here, but it's pointless.

It's so easy to say the RP is shallow and pale for someone who didn't kill hundreds of rafters for armour to help get Newland militia upgraded. Very easy for someone who didn't bother to delve deeper into the storyline or events.

But I guess it could be discouraging for some that they cannot roleplay Tarkhan Zora or Simon Silverstone and crush nations beneath their boots...

I have a challenge for you. Build a believable character and make it work in the world of Rubi-Ka. Give it a background, make the char interesting and, most importantly, make them work within the game environment and with other characters (players and LTCs alike.)

There's one thing though: other role players are equal to you. If you can't accept that you will never be happy with role play in Anarchy Online.
    Last edited by Anamelle; Feb 9th, 2008 at 17:36:37.
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Lumen Orien

I just thought I'd try Roleplaying, I thought "Hey, maybe this isn't too bad, this could actually turn out to be a fun experience!"..Oh boy was I wrong.

Shame on you roleplayers why do you have to ruin something this 'good' with your bad attitude towards us new to roleplaying? WHY?!

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
    I just thought I'd try Roleplaying, I thought "Hey, maybe this isn't too bad, this could actually turn out to be a fun experience!"..Oh boy was I wrong.

Shame on you roleplayers why do you have to ruin something this 'good' with your bad attitude towards us new to roleplaying? WHY?!
    Could you elaborate on how you were discouraged from role playing? More details would probably invite a, hopefully, fruitful discussion. Stating a mere fact you didn't like the experience does not bring hope for improvement.
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Lumen Orien

is there a hope for improvement?

Hey RP is getting more and more active these days, main problem I find is actually finding other roleplayers... other then that its generally ok bar a few griefers or people just complaining about RP and not actively trying to help it.

I'm not one of the ones who make fun of roleplaying, just that it was/is hard to find some roleplay action and the first time I found some I didn't have a very good experience with it so I don't think much of it but that's my opinion based on some bad first time experience. I'm not one of those who's all too interested in roleplaying so it kinda ruined it for me there.

Correct me If I'm wrong but I think maybe that's why there's not all that many roleplayers because of bad first time experiences, people new to it which aren't all that interested in roleplaying in the first place who tried roleplaying for the first time and had a bad experience with it might not try it again.

Problem is that it may only seem like a bad roleplay session to the newcomer, I mean the person at the top of the thread said it was a poor session due to the roleplayer staying in character.

If it is your first time and you dont think its going to well, best thing to do is just drop an OOC tell to the people involved explaining its your first time roleplaying or your a beginner and if they can help you get into it.

As for finding roleplayers, can't help you there im afraid, I dont know where they are myself, and no one hangs around in the bots anymore ¬_¬

Remember folks, there are good roleplayers and there are bad roleplayers. And both are in ample supply.

If you're on Rimor and want to find RP, send me a tell. I'll give you a point in the right direction.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotric View Post
    If it is your first time and you dont think its going to well, best thing to do is just drop an OOC tell to the people involved explaining its your first time roleplaying or your a beginner and if they can help you get into it.
    Just make sure they don't have a blue name.

ARKs playing LTCs won't respond to OOC messages.

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    blab blan blah, don't take much to complain does it.
    Meh I was going to get into a large flame here, but it's pointless.

I did try it. Earnestly but it needs something, I can keep eating card board or I can go and find some bread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast